Bring4th

Full Version: What does the black bird represent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey gang,

The theme of a black bird (crow, raven, magpie, etc) has come up in my experience as of late and was wondering if anyone here knows of any non-specific symbolic meaning it may have, if that is possible?

Thanks all,
~L

Meerie

Check here
http://www.whats-your-sign.com/symbolic-...birds.html
It has come up in my experience as well. It is known as the bird of witches and Odin also has two ravens, Hugin and Munin who fly across the earth and bring him news.
Morrigan was also said to travel in raven form right? The goddess of war, strife, and interestingly, fertility.

I think in europe Ravens were often seen as a bird of death. Because they'd be the first to feast on the remains of battles.
Reminds me of a song, Lavazza:

Sarah McLachlan's version Blackbird

Beatles:Blackbird
Oh and Edgar Allan Poe's poem!

(Here performed by Omnia)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQyGWZWqKT8
It is good to know what symbols mean in the collective mind, but the most important issue is what they mean to you and in what context they come to you. If you see them in meditation or if you want to use them in magic, you need to discover what that symbol evokes in yourself. If you see black birds in meditation you need to understand what feeling they evoke in you - what do you feel when you see it? If you want to use it in some magic ritual you need to go further.
Don Juan said that crows are messengers.

Brittany

I've always experienced the black bird as my shadow totem. I feared them because it seemed as if they were able to stare right through me and into my soul. From what I can tell in my personal experience, black birds represent wisdom, truth, and clairvoyance. The wise old raven can see through to the heart of any matter. As far as I can tell, though, animal symbols or totem usually represent aspects the individual finds appealing or fearful. Two people could see a lion in two different ways, but both interpretations could be accurate when it comes to totems, because totems are of a personal nature. Of course, this is merely my opinion.
In what context do you see those birds, Lavazza?
Hey again friends,

Thanks for these great responses. The back story here is not too dramatic- just an interesting synchronicity for me that I assume has deeper meaning. I've recently taken up the acoustic guitar, and a friend of mine is showing me some things. In particular, the song 'Black Bird" by Paul McCartney. Yep, Shemaya guessed that one. Smile I've always loved the song, and learning to play it is very rewarding. The music is intensely beautiful and moving. Learning to play it, contrary to my expectations, does not demystify it in any way.

At the same time, I happen to be creating a crow in CG, on the computer for my work. (I work in the entertainment industry). I started the crow model a week or so before learning the song and didn't even put two and two together until a week ago or so. I'm really "in to" this project and am also really enjoying it... I presume since I am so interested in these two different although similar Black birds that my higher self is hinting at something or other.

And lo, this is a period of some transformation for me. I am learning new things which is shaping my overall personality some, much as the potter spinning his clay on the wheel might mold it into something very different with a few gestures. Also just recently began digesting some stubborn catalyst in my life by learning new information which I think will ultimately have a large positive effect in my daily experiences. If I had to sum up everything I would venture that I am blossoming right now. That doesn't seem to fit any of the offered descriptions of what the Black bird may mean, so very likely this bird is more of a personal symbolic thing, perhaps one that had greater meaning to me in previous incarnations(?) but I may only speculate in that area. The messenger idea might work- but there seems to be no message given. Except perhaps that the message and the messenger are one, or stated differently doing something is it's own reward (learning guitar, evolving spirit).

What do you guys think? And thanks for looking at this with me. Smile

By the way, Ahktu, your feeling that Ravens are looking in to you is not unwarranted. They, along with Crows and Magpies are extremely intelligent birds with surprising problem solving skills. When they look at you they aren't just blindly staring like a donkey- they are probably regarding you in their own fashion. I guess we have a way of recognizing intelligence when we see it, being intelligent ourselves.

L&L, ~L
When you say you’re digesting stubborn catalyst.... that could suggest you’re integrating something back to you.
Perhaps the black bird is symbolic of the message hidden in the catalyst or that bit of you that was hidden that you have brought back to the light while working on stuff.

I get black birds too, I see them as a good thing Smile
Then maybe you could meditate or simply lay down and relax and visualize that bird and be aware of your thoughts and feelings. Don't be scared if it something bad in the beginning, it usually change into something better later. It is possible that this bird has something to do with your work with catalyst. I had similiar kind of experience once while meditating. I started to see a big black wolf with fiercely yellow/orange eyes. It was a big, black hellhound that in the beginning frightened me, and the first time I even stoped the meditation because it felt that this beast would jump out in my physical world and attack me. After a while it turned out (I think) that the wolf was representing my "blind" instincts. Not easy to connect one with each other at first... I think that some people would call them totems, but I don't know what it was and I have not seen that wolf since the day I released it. At the end it was a big healthy beast and not a hellhound I met at first who was running in freedom in some woods... Smile
(12-02-2010, 03:23 PM)Lavazza Wrote: [ -> ]At the same time, I happen to be creating a crow in CG, on the computer for my work. (I work in the entertainment industry). I started the crow model a week or so before learning the song and didn't even put two and two together until a week ago or so. I'm really "in to" this project and am also really enjoying it... I presume since I am so interested in these two different although similar Black birds that my higher self is hinting at something or other.

Awesome! Smile If it has to be a creepy crow, look at The Morrigan She qualifies as creepy Tongue Do note the painting Wink
That's a great song!

Here's another great version:

Bobby McFerrin Blackbird

The song gives me the sense of diving into the muck of unconscious, the dark night....and emerging free and light.

I think I'm going to get a jimbay for Christmas and i'll drum alongSmile Actually, it's kind of autobiographical in a way. I am emerging after a dive into the deep, lots of energy moving with me the last month or two or three.
(12-01-2010, 08:42 PM)Lavazza Wrote: [ -> ]Hey gang,

The theme of a black bird (crow, raven, magpie, etc) has come up in my experience as of late and was wondering if anyone here knows of any non-specific symbolic meaning it may have, if that is possible?

Thanks all,
~L

Whatever rings true for you is all that matters.. 
On a side note not sure if you are from or been to Australia, here there is actually a bird called a black bird- its black with orange beak. Name is so simple but it is a amazing song bird and before sun comes up and sun coming down then few other times every day in routine it will sing the most beauitful songs for over 30 minutes sometimes 1 hour or more. Each bird is different, usually you will find them at top of highest tree or point when they sing.   Its songs are one of most beauitful I have heard of any bird, really incredible.