Bring4th
LIKES POLL - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Meta (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Forum: Meta Forum (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: LIKES POLL (/showthread.php?tid=13312)

LIKES POLL - isis - 09-13-2016

do you like the like feature? or do you think b4 would probably be better w/o it?

poll results are anonymous.

personally, i like the feature, but i'm really missing how it used to be. it would only show the number of likes a post had received & you could choose to not see what users liked the post by not clicking the collapse/expand thingy.

RE: LIKES POLL - Steppingfeet - 09-13-2016

I'm with you in preferring that the likes be visible only by intentionally expanding the box. I don't much enjoy the forced visibility of likes.

If memory serves it was something we got stuck with in the last forum upgrade. Due to the complication of trying to modify MyBB's code, this was tabled until the next upgrade (which will come with the new site).

Memory is fuzzy. Austin or Garry may be able to clarify.

RE: LIKES POLL - anagogy - 09-13-2016

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: LIKES POLL - rva_jeremy - 09-13-2016

You're suspicious, anagogy.

[Image: aa0bb0d5d3e4276d38bb9f537fc934df7bfec954...345475.jpg]

RE: LIKES POLL - Glow - 09-13-2016

Keeps me from having to reply "oh good post" repeatedly

RE: LIKES POLL - isis - 09-13-2016

(09-13-2016, 03:37 PM)Bring4th_GLB Wrote:  I'm with you in preferring that the likes be visible only by intentionally expanding the box. I don't much enjoy the forced visibility of likes.

If memory serves it was something we got stuck with in the last forum upgrade. Due to the complication of trying to modify MyBB's code, this was tabled until the next upgrade (which will come with the new site).

Memory is fuzzy. Austin or Garry may be able to clarify.

yeah, the change happened with that upgrade that beat steve up back in january...of 2015.

http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=8331&pid=168539#pid168539

happy to know it'll be going back to how it was, ty for sharing. now i'll be impatiently awaiting the new site. how much longer? how much longer? how much longer? how much longer? how much longer? how much longer? how much longer?

[Image: Y9w6o.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: wYHm95.gif]

RE: LIKES POLL - Dog Star - 09-14-2016

so.. like, facebook?
[Image: staring_at_pc_low.gif]

RE: LIKES POLL - Aion - 09-14-2016

Just another way for people to communicate, imo, but I can understand why some people would prefer to have the choice of seeing who liked, but then I also don't see why it is much different from a post. If you make a post to acknowledge another it is visible to everyone so I'm not sure why there is the greater issue of privacy surrounding likes.

RE: LIKES POLL - BlatzAdict - 09-15-2016

i think it would be cool if it notified you that a post was liked and then subscribed you automatically when someone furthered the conversation and let you know. The way it is now you kind of have to scour and favorite threads in order to continue with a certain line of inquiry.

Would be nice if there was a summary for multiple threads email notification like, these threads got replied to, that you were a part of in a way that doesn't constitute as email spam, some kind of a weekly digest or a daily digest or maybe the option to pick how often.

I know lots of times i end up forgetting where to respond cause i don't remember the title of the thread. lol then i end up responding to a question from like a year ago oops. or what if likes subscribed you to more posts that particular person makes. i know we can use search but.. sometimes that takes a while.

RE: LIKES POLL - isis - 09-16-2016

(09-15-2016, 11:02 AM)BlatzAdict Wrote:  I know lots of times i end up forgetting where to respond cause i don't remember the title of the thread. lol then i end up responding to a question from like a year ago oops. or what if likes subscribed you to more posts that particular person makes. i know we can use search but.. sometimes that takes a while.

you have it to where it automatically subscribes you to threads you post in?

RE: LIKES POLL - Dog Star - 09-16-2016

are you afraid to be seen ?

RE: LIKES POLL - OpalE - 09-27-2016

(09-13-2016, 03:22 PM)isis Wrote:  do you like the like feature? or do you think b4 would probably be better w/o it?

my opinion:

any formal ranking / judgement system is probably a bad idea no matter how innocent it seems.

that said, i'm using it repeatedly to acknowledge posters w/o cluttering up threads unnecessarily; but i've already felt urges to unlike or like every post uniformly

RE: LIKES POLL - Patrick - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 05:53 PM)OpalE Wrote:  ...i've already felt urges to unlike or like every post uniformly

I've tried that once but the moderators really didn't like it. Angel

RE: LIKES POLL - OpalE - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 08:42 PM)Patrick Wrote:  
(09-27-2016, 05:53 PM)OpalE Wrote:  ...i've already felt urges to unlike or like every post uniformly

Smile seems perfectly harmless and sensible to me.

RE: LIKES POLL - Aion - 10-07-2016

I think due to the nature of the common school system there is a tendency to associate numbers with 'grades' and thus to perceive higher numbers as 'more important' but I think this is an issue with perception rather than the numbers. It is only our own judgement which says that a post with one like is not the same as a post with three likes.

RE: LIKES POLL - Parsons - 10-10-2016

(09-27-2016, 08:42 PM)Patrick Wrote:  

I never had an issue with that... considering how many likes I have, lol

Edit: Hot damn, when did I pass the quintuple digits? O_O

Maybe I should unlike 10 posts so I am stuck at 9999 forever

RE: LIKES POLL - isis - 10-10-2016

Parsons
Likes Given: 10009

Confused
Likes Given: 9401

Patrick
Likes Given: 7857

isis