Bring4th
Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Studies (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Healing (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: Health & Diet (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+---- Thread: Going wheat/grain/gluten free (/showthread.php?tid=13464)

Going wheat/grain/gluten free - GreatSpirit - 10-26-2016

1 1/2 weeks going grain/wheat/gluten free so far and along with caloric reduction (trying to drop the 15 pounds I gained)....wow....no bloating...no gas....no stinky poops....and no blood sugar spikes. Lost about 7 pounds. I feel so much better! I always noticed too after I ate just things with wheat, I would get really hungry very quickly. I'd eat a whole large Dominos pizza...and be hungry a few hours later. That's not right man. Even when I was losing weight back in 2014, I'd still fight my hunger cravings, which would lead to late night binge eating. These have now been largely eliminated just because of the removing wheat/grains/gluten.

I'm doing my best to make this my new lifestyle. I chose not to have wheat nor grains in my diet. I've come to my own conclusion based on my research that modern wheat is really the devil. My brother has and my dad and my grandfather had diabetes. Obviously I would want to avoid that. It's not genetic. It's our diets. My dad had the worst diet of all but he really didn't care.

Ya, whole grains are good for you my arse! My step-dad has an enormous pot belly because the vast amount of his diet consists of processed lunch meat, lots of bread, crackers, and margarine. Very very poor diet. He is complaining about inflammation in his joints all the time. My mom told me that he'd never give up that food. So he will have to endure the consequences of that and it's sad. I'd really like him to be around until he's in his 80s but that won't be happening. He'll be dead in a few years Sad And they just retired too and bought their retirement home. It's sad....she'll be alone and my mom IS NOT the person to be alone with no husband.

In the end, the dietary choices we make in this body will damn us or bless us and some pleasures are worth giving up in this body like wheat.

I'm also really shocked that of the many "health conscious" people on these forums, I seem to be the only one who's trying to give up wheat/grains/gluten all together.

So I ask all of you...........give up the grains for a week and see how you feel! If you can't do it...it means you're addicted.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Plenum - 10-26-2016

awesome news.  Hope the good trends continue Smile

/ /

I take it you get your carbs now from potatoes?

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - GreatSpirit - 10-27-2016

(10-26-2016, 08:43 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: awesome news.  Hope the good trends continue Smile

/ /

I take it you get your carbs now from potatoes?

Thank you!! Ya know I am going to incorporate them into my foods somehow. Do you eat potatoes and how much? What kind are you eating? I just can't get into sweet potatoes and the concern of blood sugar spiking from regular potatoes concerns me. Baked potato is 85/100 on the glycemic index.

Aiming for low glycemic index/low carb eating. Carbs come from Romaine lettuce primarily and veggies/fruits but the calories they contain is ridiculous. Add some extra virgin olive oil/red wine vinegar with baked chicken and grass fed organic cheese for my salad.

Nuts fill the void too for needed extra calories and they're low on the GI . I eat walnuts primarily mixed with greek yogurt.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Plenum - 10-27-2016

yeah, I just steam all my veggies (well, pressure cook, actually), and so I have diced potatoes in there.  I use a variety called "Dutch Cream", and it just works well for me.  Don't know much about GI Index; although I'm quite familiar with crashing after a carb-laden meal Smile

(10-27-2016, 02:43 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: Aiming for low glycemic index/low carb eating. Carbs come from Romaine lettuce primarily and veggies/fruits but the calories they contain is ridiculous. Add some extra virgin olive oil/red wine vinegar with baked chicken and grass fed organic cheese for my salad.

hey man, it really sounds like you've found something that works really well for you.  That's all we can really ask, to be honest.

I've struggled with my food/diet for most of my life - until the last 3-4 years really.  Not with overweight issues, but just finding something that is harmonious, and overall life-infusing for this particular physical vehicle.

Glad to be where I am, at present Smile

/ /

but back to the OP, yeah, I don't have wheat at all at home (where I have over 9/10 meals).

I do use small amounts of rice; but tend to go with lentils and beans to balance that.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - GreatSpirit - 10-27-2016

(10-27-2016, 05:51 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: yeah, I just steam all my veggies (well, pressure cook, actually), and so I have diced potatoes in there.  I use a variety called "Dutch Cream", and it just works well for me.  Don't know much about GI Index; although I'm quite familiar with crashing after a carb-laden meal Smile

hey man, it really sounds like you've found something that works really well for you.  That's all we can really ask, to be honest.

I've struggled with my food/diet for most of my life - until the last 3-4 years really.  Not with overweight issues, but just finding something that is harmonious, and overall life-infusing for this particular physical vehicle.

Glad to be where I am, at present Smile

/ /

but back to the OP, yeah, I don't have wheat at all at home (where I have over 9/10 meals).

I do use small amounts of rice; but tend to go with lentils and beans to balance that.

I guess I should've worded this thread "going wheat/gluten" free as grains like brown rice I don't see a problem with and I'll incorporate some. But I'm still going low carb/low GI for diabetic reasons.

It's just that darn wheat man and junk food. Stay away from it.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - BlatzAdict - 10-27-2016

i keep grains and wheat to a minimum, i eat whole wheat, but really i don't have more than 2 a day.

i notice that if i go strictly meat and veggie, i don't have as much energy, so balance is better than total polarization. i think the true death is cooked food, raw foods possess the necessary anti oxidants in abundance to flush your system. theres a lot of kirlian photos of veggies floating around the net comparing raw vs cooked.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - GreatSpirit - 10-28-2016

(10-27-2016, 03:49 PM)BlatzAdict Wrote: i keep grains and wheat to a minimum, i eat whole wheat, but really i don't have more than 2 a day.

i notice that if i go strictly meat and veggie, i don't have as much energy, so balance is better than total polarization. i think the true death is cooked food, raw foods possess the necessary anti oxidants in abundance to flush your system. theres a lot of kirlian photos of veggies floating around the net comparing raw vs cooked.

I hear ya man. I prefer raw veggies too but I'll eat them steamed. The Chinese restaurants usually offers some steam meat/veggie meal as an alternative.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Nía - 11-08-2016

Allergic To Gluten? Wheat Sensitivity May Be Caused By Another Protein In Breads And Pastas

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Nía - 12-20-2016

This Could Be The Article That Stops You Eating Non-Organic Wheat

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Nía - 01-23-2018

Miss Eating Gluten? Sourdough Bread May Be Safe For Gluten Sensitive People

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Nía - 01-24-2018

33 Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes You’ll Actually Want To Eat (2 of them vegan, the rest could surely be veganized)

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - xise - 01-24-2018

Do what works for you. I know I went gluten-light (I love bread too much to go free) 10 years ago. But my gluten sensitivity was related to stress and became tolerable when the stress was removed. Though stress may not have been the root cause, much like the bee colony collapse syndrome (combination of environmental stresses and pesticide causing a synergetic collapse).

Sometimes I wonder if we're truly investigating root causes of these rising illnesses. The intestines are the first organ to get damage by 'poisonous' (pesticide-laden?) food. It seems reasonable that sometimes damaged intestines may manifest as difficulty in digesting certain harder to digest foods even though the poison might stem from a different source altogether (ie, pesticides in food generally, not just pesticides in wheat). 

I mean, you don't judge what foods you 'should have' when you're recovering from the stomach flu right - just eat light - so perhaps we should be interested in determining whether the numerous chemicals - or other environmental factors - are affecting our historical ability to enjoy a wide variety of foods.

Unfortunately, the truth is going to be slow to get out there, due to the influence agribusiness has over science research in this area. Hopefully one day we'll be able to figure out why these the rise of the unexplained illnesses is occurring.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Nía - 01-24-2018

Totally agree!

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Glow - 01-24-2018

I wonder sometimes about all the chemicals in bread, well actually in all processed foods. I started just switching to home made breads and haven’t bought storebought since just over a year.

I personally don’t have issues with carbs but if you do I highly recommend learning to make a loaf at home. 20 minutes of work 35 minutes of baking and you can have 2 beautiful loaves. -5 ingredients- My husband is genetically of the type O- that shouldn’t consume carbs but since switching to home made he has actually slimmed down.

Mind you we are simplifying ingredients in all our foods to as unprocessed as possible so it’s likely the over all change that is helping.

Hope you are feeling better GreatSpirit

edited to 5 ingredients from 4, I wasn't counting the initial wake up food for the wee yeasty buddies

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - blackwanderer - 02-19-2018

About two years ago I went three weeks without eating gluten or any grains (corn, rice, quinoa etc.) and then at the end of the month I went to this all-natural pizza place and had a small thin crust pizza.

The only problems I found were a slight headache right after and I didn't have a bowel movement for three days... Soooo there MIGHT be some intolerance?

Then again this was when I was just starting to take my diet more seriously, and was still eating a bit of bad food. I eat a 100% clean diet now with grains/wheat and I feel fine, definitely a lot better than when I did that little experiment.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - Nía - 02-19-2018

Oats: An Exception to The "No Carb" Rule? The Healing Power of Oats Validated By Science

Quote:According to celiac.org, celiac disease is a serious, hereditary autoimmune disorder in which the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. An estimated 1 in 100 people are affected worldwide, including 2.5 million Americans who are currently undiagnosed and at risk for long-term health complications. Oats are one of the few gluten-free grains, as long as they are uncontaminated (oats are often processed in plants that also process wheat, barley, and other gluten-containing grains). Beyond their gluten-free status, oats have been observed to have healing effects in individuals with celiac disease.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - smiLie - 12-14-2018

Buckweat is on top of my list , above oats.

I am going to link to the same Greenmedinfo that previous poster linked, to not look like a spammer.
Buckwheat - 9 Great Reasons to Know it, Plant it, Grow it and Eat it!

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - unity100 - 04-21-2019

I also almost cut entire gluten containing food (wheat based, bread etc) from my diet. There has been a marked improvement to my health levels.

I am also reducing the amount of carbohydrates, especially added sugars. Not fruit etc however.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - AnthroHeart - 04-21-2019

I find even the vitamin gummies I have contain sugar.

RE: Going wheat/grain/gluten free - xise - 05-10-2019

I am in the 5th day of a 7-day gluten-free diet experiment, with 200 calories worth of wheat that I accidentally consumed on the 3rd day.

I found moderate but real improvements in health and wellbeing. But please note that 10 years ago I had a pretty severe gluten intolerance, and would feel feverish after eating the equivalent of 400 calories of wheat.