Bring4th
Teach Me About Music - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Artistic Endeavors (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Thread: Teach Me About Music (/showthread.php?tid=14298)

Teach Me About Music - Coordinate_Apotheosis - 03-27-2017

I have many kinds of songs in my mind that I've always wanted to translate into music.

Do you know any resources that teach music?  Any help you can offer? How to read sheet music, aids that help me learn the sound of each note and the different chords?

Please and thank you~

RE: Teach Me About Music - Agua del Cielo - 03-27-2017

Do you play an instrument?
If so, which?

Reading is widely overestimated, but its actually not hard to learn.
I know many professional musicians that cant read music, it depends what kind of jobs your playing.

I would recommend learning songs that you like, that will get you started with chords and progressions.
Plus its a lot of fun.
An instrument like piano or guitar is very helpful if you want to compose or arrange.

What is your background musicwise?
In terms of instruments, theory , experience and stuff.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Coordinate_Apotheosis - 03-27-2017

I do not, I used to play a Flute, I've always wanted to play the Organ or Piano/Keyboard as well as Cello/Violin.  I do not believe I can learn how to play a guitar, my fingers are too short and stubby.

I used to know how to read and write sheet music, I forgot over the years, learned again, then forgot again...

I used to have a keyboard but I never played it, never knew how to...

No background really, two years of Choir in middle school, I like to do vocals but I'm far too shy to share or believe I sound any good. I'm an alto but I prefer to have a more throaty style of vocalizing akin to rock and roll, metal, alternative genres.

A bit of instrument play in elementary school, nothing really.

I just want to know how to make music more than anything else, even if it means doing it all by a computer program, considering I especially want to learn to mix and edit music.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Minyatur - 03-27-2017

As a program I really like guitar pro and you can download tabs to see how to play things, that's how I learned the little I learned and you can also make compositions.

I've used guitar pro 5 mainly which is simple to use and you got both the music sheet and the tablature alongside which is useful.

List of instruments I'd love to learn:

Saxophone
Tuba
Flute/Ocarina
Bass
Cello
Violin
Piano/Keyboard
Organ
Steel/Drums (variety of drums including bongos and whatnot)
Synthesizers

Wooden Blocks (whatever they're called that are popular in Japan that are hit against the ground to produce a drum like beat)
Harp
Gong (kidding, BOOOOOOONNNNNGGggggg)

As well as probably more that I just don't know the name of off the top of my head.

I would like to learn Guitar but as I said, I doubt I'll be able to...

If you read up about Trent Reznor the frontman of the band Nine Inch Nails, you'll read that his first album he made by playing every instrument by itself then overlaying each together with vocals to make songs.

AND as luck might have it, I have a bit of mixing experience, I've worked with Pro Tools and have actual editting experience with video and some mixing experience with audio.

I LOVE the sound of the Organ, Ra mentioned Albert Einstein had a fascination with the Organ, I am the same.  It's deep and haunting sound just reverberates with me.  I wish I knew more songs featuring the Organ.

Thanks Min, I'll check it out.  I hear there are some decent piano programs too that I need to check out.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Agua del Cielo - 03-27-2017

I would suggest concentrating on one instrument first Smile

Its entirely possible to write a song, arrange it, play all instruments, sing all songs and mix all songs, yes.
They people i know who can do this have however been musicians all their lives.
Not to discourage you, but if set your goals THAT extremely high, you probably end up doing nothing at all.

Piano/ keyboards are perfect for composing and doing stuff on the computer in my experience.

Pro Tools might not be the best choice if you want to program a lot of stuff, although its capable of such.
I use Logic, but stuff like Cubase, Sonar is also really good and comes with a huge library and lots of professional plugins equipped.
If you dont need to collaborate with othr people, the platform doesnt matter that much.

Oh I plan on this being a lifelong journey, music is more of a journey in my mind, you learn vehicle/instrument and become proficient in it, then supplement with learning another one.

I have a lot of goals for my life ever since I deeply decided I wouldn't hide behind a suicidal desire to avoid taking responsibility for my future.

So there's a lot of avenues to begin from.  Programming, 3D Modeling, Writing, Gardening, Making Music, Graphic Art/Drawing, Camping/Wilderness Survival, Yoga and Meditation.  Learning new languages, cultures, philosophies, new perspectives in life, new ways to live.

Do note I have an interest in making video games or summed up, I want to produce 'entertainment' that has deeper tones than the generic slop you see and read now a days.  To do that I feel I need a few...Skills.  Firstly, the ability to create a program, just because it's a useful way of utilizing technology and because can't make a program if you can't program.  Next to that, I'd need the skills to create form and image for that program of 3D modeling, 2D graphic art, and basically a means to create still and animated imagery in 2D and 3D mediums, in addition, music matters too.  Of those, Programming, 3D Modeling, Graphic Art, and Writing are the tools to a career path I guess.  Where as Gardening, Camping, Wilderness Survival, Yoga, and Meditation are just hobbies I want to take up.

I've been busy in my mind, I just...Have been busy everywhere lately in my mind...

Like, some things I used to want to be growing up:
Manga Writer
Comic Drawer
Video Game Designer
(Video Game) Level Designer
Graphic Artist
Author/Writer
Musician.

Now a days it's realistically summed down to:
Comic Drawer
Graphic Artist
Writer
Programmer

But who knows...

I've thought about relearning the Flute or an Ocarina or a Saxophone or ...I can't remember if it's 'Tuba' or 'Trumpet', to start off, then moving on to a string instrument or a keyboard/piano, then from there to a violin or cello, then from there drums and synthesizers.

I think I'll learn a wind instrument first as I have a proclivity of voice via choir as a kid.  Then I'll do a more hand-coordinated string instrument.  I think I'll stick to a violin or cello (whichever are the ones played from the chin and sat with) to start, then move on from there to piano and drums.  I just want to express myself, I'm so tired of feeling creatively entrapped within my own mind!!

I do not know any other programs beyond Pro Tools, further basically every program requires to be bought so not like I'll have my hands on them any time soon lol...

Well you seem passionate enough, that's for sure!

I also liked the idea of playing every part of a song and like modeling with videos a mix into a single video, but, at least so far, I lack the passion to really explore my potential in music.

Goddamn mangas, why you fufill my soul so damn well with your stories! Next life I'll incarnate somewhere I'll do energy battles and become Title God (Combat continent reference).

I am extremely embarrassed to ever be seen reading manga or watching anime. It's sort of a private pleasure of mine that I don't like to share.

I admit, mangas are better than conventional books, I love the idea of a comic styled visualization with novel tier writing, I wish I could draw good enough to make my own mangas. I am passionate, I love music, I feel trapped creatively in my mind, I want to break the glass ceiling and be free!

(03-27-2017, 12:50 PM)Coordinate_Apotheosis Wrote: I am extremely embarrassed to ever be seen reading manga or watching anime.  It's sort of a private pleasure of mine that I don't like to share.

Got to admit I have no shame about mangas but might relate to how I started them.

I started animes because I was mocking a friend who told me I need to try them first if I want to mock him and that got me into it. Even after getting into animes I mocked mangas and the same pattern happened and I got into mangas. I ofen read new chapters in the subway or train now so I don't mind being seen or rather didn't contemplate I even should, they rock so much.

Can't say I'm proud of the mocking thing, but at least I did try them to get an actual opinion and now it's part of my daily life since all those years.

I remember you saying Code Geass was your favorite anime (I think), it definitely is mine.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Night Owl - 03-27-2017

Music is what I've studied so I can answer most questions you have. Just ask.

First I'd say if you know pro tools, stick with it. It's the easiest and most user friendly to use. I don't use it myself, I use cubase but I've touched to most big programs like this and pro tools is definitely the easiest. Learning a new one is hard, complex and time consuming, you might want to invest your time on something else.

Secondly, I would suggest that using Guitar pro 5 like minyatur said is a great idea, it's not just a guitar program, there's all instruments in it. I actually started with this program. I used to download the tabs of the songs I knew and I was just watching how the individual parts are composed, written, and how they work together, that's something you can't do with any other software with this much simplicity and clarity. Plus you can compose your own stuff in order to try and experiment and it's very easy to use.

Thirdly, if you want to compose whole songs, I would advise against a wind instrument because they really don't share much similarities with other instruments. You could spend a whole life learning a wind instrument and still be completely clueless how the other instruments work. On the other hand, piano/synths/keyboards/organs give you much quicker results and will also give you a sense of rhythm, melody and harmony all at the same. Plus it's a lot more visual and easy to understand compared to any other instruments. Keys instrument are intimately tied to all the other instruments, they share some aspects with the drums, just as much as the bass or the guitars. There's no other instrument that is as much all around like that. Plus it's a lot less hard on your self esteem than guitar lol.

If you want to understand the theory of chord progressions, it's possible to learn by yourself, but you need serious dedication. There are theory about that all over youtube, books etc. But I think the style of music you want to do will restrict the elements which are useful to you. I don't personally listen to Nine Inch nails, but I suspect since it is in some rock background that the chord progressions might differ from classic/jazz music theory. And so it really depends on what you want to do.

I would say learning to read music is not necessarily the most useful thing, it really depends how far you wanna go, but you should probably try and get basics on rhythms and chords at least.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Aion - 03-28-2017

Just do it. There is no other way. You have to build a relationship with Music. It doesn't matter what instrument you play, it can be all of them or none of them, but an instrument doesn't teach you about Music. Instruments are just different ways of bringing forth Music. You don't need theory unless that is the level you are intending to communicate on. Tons of bands get by with only the slightest of knowledge of theory. It's useful if you are communicating a lot with other musicians but as a solo composer it's barely necessary.

I would however agree that keyboard/piano is probably one of the best ways to build a relationship with Music because of how it is laid out and because of the range of frequency that is in it. Really easy to build an understanding of how the notes work together. I find it's less important to be able to specifically name chords so much as to be able to identify the major intervals (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc) and beginning to understand what kind of emotion is created through those chords. Consonance and dissonance come a lot from this understanding of the ratios of frequencies, but you don't need to know the math, you just have to listen for what you want.

Get a metronome and learn to count. It doesn't matter how fancy your rhythms or chords are if you have no timing, there will be no proper flow. If you can master timing then most of the other elements of music tend to fall in place behind it.

Also, you don't need a lot to do full recordings. I'm a solo composer and I do multi-tracking to record my own full tracks. Just bought an electric drumkit off my co-worker so I can finally start recording my own drums and samples, now I just need a bass and I can do the whole band. At one point I had nothing but a webcam microphone and I still managed to make some crappy demos.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Agua del Cielo - 03-28-2017

Having thought about it for some time, i get the impression that you re in a manic episode maybe?
If you want to make music, by all means just do it!
Its very fullfilling!

But i would consider maybe setting a little lower goals!
Even if you just learn one instrument, without wanting to compose, arrange and record, you will (as far as i know about you setting high goals) most likely run into some kind of frustration sooner or later.
If you try to fight on several "fronts" simultaneously, this will be much worse!

Why dont you just start with the instrument your heart feels drawn to the most?
And then build on that later.

Just in case you didnt know, manic episodes are so to say the backside of depression.
One usually feels highly motivated, sets extremely high and unrealistic goals and usually doesnt even start to bring them to life, leading to lots of frustration and to depression....starting the circle again...
Just a thought Smile

RE: Teach Me About Music - Coordinate_Apotheosis - 03-28-2017

This is all long term, I have no intent to attempt to learn all these things at once, they're just templates to help design my future, hopefully...

Manic episodes, I have never had one that I know of for sure, I do think I've had one, which was back in...I believe middle school, I stayed up for 5 days straight without laying down or stopping to do anything but go to the bathroom, eat, and shower.  By day 5 the hallucinations got pretty crazy and I must have knocked myself out because I woke up over a day later confused how I ended up in my bed.

The only other time I would consider the possibility I was having a manic episode...Was back in 2014 when I felt like I was the Creator and could see love everywhere, but that's a doubt that just can't seem to...Overcome my belief that what happened in 2014 was not a physical phenomenon so-to-speak.

This is all longterm, I have wanted to learn music for a long time and I never had the help or support or motivation, and I see I never will...I need to do it myself.  So, this is a start, at the least, to plan something out, to have some kind of direction.

Something, anything.  I'm tired of fading away from doing nothing and knowing not how to do the things I want to do.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Agua del Cielo - 03-28-2017

Pick the instrument your heart calls for and just start!
No planning needed, this will all come in time.

No matter what you want to learn, you ll find a bunch of good tutorials on youtube.
Then just start, after a while you can decide yourself, what will be the next step!

Your heart calls for a flute?
By all means, get one, now!
And start playing Smile

RE: Teach Me About Music - Aion - 03-28-2017

Just dooooo it. Music is created by bums on the street with half-broken guitars. You don't need much to start making music. (Hell since the voice is the most fundamental instrument you don't really need anything.)

RE: Teach Me About Music - Cainite - 03-28-2017

Best songs are usually the simplest songs so not much skill is needed to create epic music.
IMO the best kind of art is music. it's alive and has a strong soul.

Fire : is sensed by our sight, Water : Taste, Earth : Touch, Air : Smell, and Spirit : hearing

RE: Teach Me About Music - Nicholas - 03-28-2017

Andrew Furmanczyk is my favourite piano/keyboard teacher who provides free lessons on youtube. He is a really nice chap, is classically trained and keeps things really simple. I have a midi keyboard and used his youtube videos for about 3 months. He has around 40 easy to follow lessons and when I reached the one teaching the blues scale, I got stuck on that video as I fell in love with it. He also teaches you how to use your fingers and thumbs correctly when going up and down any particular scale.

So I would recommend Andrew as a teacher. A midi keyboard or synth is likely to be easier to pick up than a piano Literally as well as financially  Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lypur

RE: Teach Me About Music - sjel - 03-28-2017

Yeah like Aion said you don't need anything to do music. You already are a musician, in fact. Start by just really attentively listening to all music around you. Practice listening to music. Not even that often or anything, just listen to the music of the world whenever you remember to. Like the wind, the car, and your stubbed toe against the wall just formed a little rhythm. Followed by your accompanying sharp intake of pain-breath. That's a song right there.

Then you sit down. And the soft shish of the sheets combined with your tired sigh. Then you release a little puff of flatulence. That's a rhythm and a melody all at once.

And of course listening to music you like. Forgot to tell you that I really got into Sim City 4 for a while there, all because you posted a link a while back of the soundtrack, which I loved.

Essentially: Playing Music is more about listening than actually doing anything.

Also check this guy out: Tony Cicoria, who got struck by lightning when he was 42 and suddenly became obsessed with piano and rapidly gained proficiency, even writing his own sonata.

So really it's about whatever you desire to get out of music. Which, you don't have to desire to be some master. Maybe start by desiring to become good at tiny little rhythms with your hands. Or start falling into rhythms with your footsteps when you walk. Everyone and everything is part of Music right now, just as they are, just as you already are. So listen to Her, she's already playing for you and through you, Right Now.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Night Owl - 03-29-2017

One of my teacher used to say: ''If it sounds good to you, then it sounds good. The worst that can happen is that you end up being the only one who likes it. But you're the only one for whom it is important that it sounds good''. It was in french so it's not exactly how it was said but you get the idea. If you resonate with something and it makes you feel good, then it's good. As simple as that.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Minyatur - 03-29-2017

(03-27-2017, 10:59 AM)Coordinate_Apotheosis Wrote: I do not believe I can learn how to play a guitar, my fingers are too short and stubby.

Her fingers don't look all that long.

RE: Teach Me About Music - sjel - 04-07-2017

I forgot to mention. If you ever are at a piano or a keyboard, just play the black keys. Any combination of black keys is in the same key, and sounds good. in the left hand play some black key octaves in the right hand play a black key melody, it will sound good no matter what you play. This is a great method for training one's musical ear to retrieve Music out of a simple 5 notes

random black notes (literally am holding my hands flat and running them over the keys like flowing water) http://vocaroo.com/i/s1CTWmC9Fvyg

the black notes just beg for harmony, they know no other way

RE: Teach Me About Music - rva_jeremy - 04-13-2017

I endorse every single thing Aion said, especially the part about having a relationship with music. This is precisely how I try to teach computer programming: what you need to do is get to the point where you're kind of having a conversation with the instrument/computer where you're getting reliable feedback from your input. Once you get that, you can build on that foundation. So get a cheap keyboard and start practicing your scales. As you get more familiar, try to tease out little jingles or melodies you hear -- you're gonna suck at first, but that's fine because the mistakes are instructive, just like using the wrong words in a foreign language teach you through the way people laugh or react. You need to get a baseline of comfort so you can start figuring out what YOU want to do with the music. Establishing that will be work, but allow yourself the freedom to noodle, to have fun, to mess around with things that sound awful.

Rhythm is also important so get a metronome: number one thing I encounter with self-taught musicians is a shaky understanding of rhythm. This is even more important if you plan on playing with anybody.

RE: Teach Me About Music - AmariPaul - 09-16-2017

(03-27-2017, 07:47 AM)Coordinate_Apotheosis Wrote: I have many kinds of songs in my mind that I've always wanted to translate into music.

Do you know any resources that teach music?  Any help you can offer? How to read sheet music, aids that help me learn the sound of each note and the different chords?

Please and thank you~
You should use fl studio to make music

RE: Teach Me About Music - Eddie - 09-16-2017

From what I gather, you don't live in the right part of the U.S. to do this, but if you ever move to Kentucky, Alabama, or North Carolina, you should join a Shape-Note singing group (also known as "Sacred Harp").  You'll learn more about music, faster, and more easily, doing this, than by doing almost anything else.

RE: Teach Me About Music - Aion - 09-21-2017

Oh yeah, read The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten. It is essential.