Bring4th
Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - Printable Version

+- Bring4th (https://www.bring4th.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Bring4th Community (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Art, Media, & Entertainment (https://www.bring4th.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( (/showthread.php?tid=14549)

Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - APeacefulWarrior - 06-02-2017

I know the show has its detractors, but I can think of few shows on the air which could be more relevant to LOO followers.  Sense8 is entirely about showing the connections between people, the unity of humanity, and helping encourage people to view all humans as one race.  Not to mention on a more LOO-specific level, the depiction of the various characters sharing minds and personalities seems to very closely mirror what we know of the structure of S/M/Cs.  

Honestly, if we are going to ever come together as a species, I feel like people need more shows like this which are aimed at trying to break down the barriers of "otherness" which are keeping people separate.  It's a rare show that is truly about love more than it's about hate.

If you are a fan -or have been interested but haven't watched it yet- now is the time to act.  Luckily, it does have a lot of fans and they're already organizing to try to get Netflix to change their minds.  This Reddit thread has a lot of good ideas for trying to keep it going.

Personally, I wouldn't say it's a lost cause.  After all, the show is being co-run by J. Michael Straczynski, the man who managed to keep Babylon 5 on the air for its full five-season run despite being "on the bubble" every year of its existence.  (And, like Sense8, B5 often got accused of being boring or too high-concept by its detractors.)  If the fans can give him enough ammunition, it's entirely possible he could find a way to pull this out.  Even if it means talking another outlet into picking it up, like he did for B5's last season.  Not to mention -if that Reddit thread is any indication- Sense8 has a lot of fans within Netflix as well, which could also help.

Either way, it's a truly unique and visionary show that really doesn't deserve to be cut off in the middle of its story.  Hopefully they'll find a way to continue it, in some way or another.   :-/

RE: Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - Jeremy - 06-02-2017

I'm really heartbroken over this. This is truly saddening

RE: Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - APeacefulWarrior - 06-02-2017

I know, right? There really wasn't anything like it on the air, and so few shows in general that were really aiming to try to help build bridges between various peoples. Sad

RE: Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - Jeremy - 06-03-2017

(06-02-2017, 01:08 PM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: I know, right?  There really wasn't anything like it on the air, and so few shows in general that were really aiming to try to help build bridges between various peoples.  Sad

I was thinking about this last night as we were spending our last night around the campfire. I never thought of the show like this but then it struck me. Sensates were kinda like dual activated bodies. They all sensed a wrongness about their particular life experiences whether it be corruption, discrimination, poverty, etc. They all felt the need to improve the life that they were surrounded by then when the addition of their abilities manifested, they came together for the greater good. 

RE: Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - Glow - 06-03-2017

Just before it's time. I'm greatful to have gotten to enjoy the show.
It is a sign post we are moving in the right direction.

RE: Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - Steppingfeet - 06-22-2017

(06-02-2017, 03:25 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: Either way, it's a truly unique and visionary show that really doesn't deserve to be cut off in the middle of its story.  Hopefully they'll find a way to continue it, in some way or another.   :-/

Upon receiving this terrible news my wife and I were devastated! Maybe an exaggeration, but we were quite nonplussed. We don't watch many shows but of those that we do, this is hands down our favorite. (Game of Thrones might take that title were it not so dark, violent, and cynical, generally leaving me feeling worse be episode's end than when I began.)

I agree entirely with what you wrote. There are still conventional good-versus-bad plots (though the protagonists are not cardboard--they have depth, nuance, and imperfection), and, in Wachowski style, plenty of violence to go around. But ultimately, like you said, it is a story about love, unity in diversity, celebration of our differences,and forwarding of personal freedom and LGBTQ rights, among others. The speech that Capheus gave at his political rally about the need to build bridges of love between us was really stirring.

Like Cloud Atlas and The Matrix, it also had a really subversive message too: dominator status quo's need overturned.

The production values and cinematography were off the charts as well. So blown away by the number of different locations they had to film the characters in. The musical montages were always exquisitely executed - it made for an awesome harmony between linear story and emotional-feeling states. Or narrative and music video. The montages were also a great vehicle for communicating the eight's interconnectedness and shared experience.

And of course the overlay with the Law of One. The cluster is something of a creative microcosmic take on the social memory complex. It was wonderful seeing the characters discover and develop the experience of the cluster. It hit those wanderer notes within that yearn for shared intimacy and community on deeper levels of consciousness than mere physical proximity alone.

No matter its sci-fi elements, it was a really human show that had a lot to say and ask. I think it was a work of art.

Did you feel like the final five minutes were massively rushed? I have read a lick about the show but I have the feeling that they got word the show would be canceled so they threw together the final scenes in anticipation of resurrecting the show elsewhere.

RE: Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - Glow - 06-22-2017

I really enjoyed the first season but it seems society is not ready to embrace such a open minded/hearted show.
It was likely very good at planting a few seeds, and giving some of us a feeling of not being such outsiders.

The entire second season seemed less polished yet I still watched it and was disapointed with the decision to cansel.
Some show will come next that picks up where this one left off, planting seeds.

Have you guys started watching Travelers?
Its pretty awesome too. Projecting consiousness of more advanced human society into the past(our present) the seeds are being planted.

RE: Netflix has announced the cancellation of Sense8 :-( - Jeremy - 06-29-2017

[Image: FB_IMG_1498763448030.jpg]