[split] the question of study
08-06-2015, 10:07 PM,
RE: [split] the question of study
(08-06-2015, 01:32 AM)Parsons Wrote:  Then again, I don't like the idea of censoring (very brief, appropriate) playful banter.

My personal opinion: Small time banter within a post as a sort of OT (off-topic) subject is appropriate within ANY community of friends!  I've seen it done rather well various times on B4 where a member will, after or in the middle of their post, reference or comment in a personal manner some kind of topic.

I see it as, if you can utilize an off-topic remark in correlation to the subject you're actually adding in an edge of personal experience and interpretation to aid others.

It is when the off-topic remarking begins to overthrow a thread and posts start appearing only to respond to those remarks that you have derailed a thread.  That's where I think a mod should be able to, or even not a mod, anyone, should be able to come in and remind everyone to stay on topic and keep the casual talk to the side.

Casual talk can help even deep discussions, we just need to ask the members to be considerate of the discussion and not derail it.  This wouldn't be an issue if we could properly hold ourselves to that responsibility.  When we can't we should be wary of moving in that way at all if we know it'll lead to the topic and discussion being distracted and derailed.

Very brief and appropriate playful banter and jokes are acceptable in my opinion, and that's coming from the guy who want's a mod to remind people to stay on topic if it's moving off topic real fast.  Maybe a thread will come up one day that gets derailed and I can use it as a present example...Heh.

(08-06-2015, 01:34 PM)Diana Wrote:  I like all of this and feel you are all on to something here. And it is subtle, and complicated. I have tried and tried and tried to keep threads on point. And like Parsons, I don'i want icy sterile (though like JLY, I may come off that way). But as has been pointed out, forward progress/motion is preferable. I do feel that things have gotten too loose here, and yet aside from moderation did not know how to remedy it while leaving freedom in place and not employing censorship.

ME TOO.  I had NO IDEA, so I sucked up my fingers and got to typing out ideas.  I wrote three different full responses before finally posting my ultimate initial response to this questionnaire.  I knew I was not fully in line but I wanted to set the motion forward, progress towards my own ideal of the forum that I desire, in hopes that along the way I could compromise my ideals and formulate some kind of conversation.  (Ironically it worked in a sense o-o, I didn't think it would.)

In result there is no right or wrong answer when you're trying to formulate and contemplate 'ideals' and 'ways to be'.  My ideal way for this forum to be is to promote a fun environment with areas for everyone.  As in, deep study is fun for some, an area for them is welcome.  Casual talk is fun, an area for that is welcome.  Subtle complex discussions are fun, an area for those.  All while maintaining an accepting attitude while trying to uphold the attitude of each separate portion of the forum in a respectful manner...Such as maintaining deep study's on topic, keeping subtle discussions from being derailed, but allowing fun to be present, not forcing people to conform to a 'standard' but letting them know that some areas are more 'disciplined' and ask for respect while others don't mind casual banter or such.  Retaining the accepting carefree feel of the forum while allowing more focused members places to meet with other focused members.

Those focused types will gladly leave their 'preferred' areas to intermingle in a lighthearted way with the more casual areas of the forum, and they may even grow kindly to those who accidentally 'break' their 'preferred' means of interaction in their 'preferred' areas if not already being kindly and using those moments of catalyst in their 'preferred' areas to teach/learn, and polarize, both gently.  And at the same time, the more rigid types can learn from the more carefree types not to be so rigid.  An overall exchange can occur if we just try to find a configuration that allows for such.

(08-06-2015, 01:34 PM)Diana Wrote:  I would like to bring up one question about of why we exist as an Internet entity: Are we here to help heal others, ourselves, or are we here to study, or all of the above? What I mean by that is it has been mentioned that B4 attracts the lost. There have been some here who are in pain and confusion (this is not to say that everyone doesn't have pain), and as a group we have accommodated out-of-line behaviors from those who were really struggling. (This is where I feel moderation should have stepped in more.) I don't mind accommodating some of this as why not help others along the way? But the extent to which it got in some cases just made this whole place feel distracting, and not worth participating in when flippant, inconsiderate posts were flying.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I find it extremely perplexing. And ignoring things only goes so far.

Ignoring things does only go so far, if we've members tripping balls posting incoherent things, we can ask them to be more considerate of where they post such things.  Other's whom are 'disabled' in some way (See: Unique) should.. In MY opinion, be attempted to be accommodated to.  And while we can't always accommodate, at least trying shows we care.  When explaining something doesn't make sense, we should try to accommodate their unique means of thinking to try and explain in a way that is helpful, and while it is no one's responsibility, it is up to each individual member to take up any honor/duty's they perceive they can take up, they aren't required to but just as I've decided to speak so strongly about this forum, another may speak more precisely to the way's of thinking of another.

When someone is clearly upset and doesn't care, it's dependent.  What type of emotional being are they?  Some lose all regard for guidelines and just go off on a tangent, others become moody and sarcastic and just stop trying, others act like this and others act like that.  If we want this place to be open and friendly we need to be open to these instances and not immediately attack the individual in our own defense.  When one is lashing out they usually feel wronged, instead of shoving the Philosophy in their face and telling them they're behaving incorrectly, why can't we ask them to move the concern to an appropriate place (or have a mod move it if member's find it distracting) and then work with them?

I saw how several people, and myself were handled.  The Philosophy is helpful, but to someone who isn't currently in an openmind, and is rigid with emotional tension, can't we open our hearts to them, or those of us capable of doing so, and try to make sense of where things went wrong?

If the person isn't going to accept the help, then at least we tried, you know?

That's what I thought I'd find in a place speaking of being with open-hearted and open-minded individuals, I think if that were maintained and utilized in case by case instances we could smooth out and make sense of every issue that has arose, or at least the ones that can be ameliorated, allowing those who leave to leave but always welcoming them back, and asking others to consider if they were in the wrong as much as they feel other's were.

Instead of just pointing out the philosophical principles of why, how, then blaming them and telling them they're to blame.

Some people are sensitive and easily hurt, others are oblivious and blunt, and others are rigid and inflexible.  For every case there is potentially someone available and able to work with them to calm them down and aid them.

In so doing, have you not just helped them progress in their journey instead of telling them to figure their own crud out and to shut up in a polite way?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2015, 12:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015, 12:10 PM by Bring4th_Jade.)
All I have to say is that I emotionally resonate with using the forums as more of a therapeutic tool than a rigorous study tool. I try to have faith that everyone will get what they need, without much extra output from myself except my opinions and being. I personally have no desire to spend time or energy on changing these forums to be something else (except my regular praying/light visualizations to help ease the burdens, the passive stuff). If they do change, so be it, I will try to accept that, too.

I'm trying to think of many examples where this idea of threads being run off course happens. Does this happen a lot? Maybe I don't pay enough attention to the threads that are more involved in discoursing on the Law of One, but the only example I can really think of that may be "chronic" is Gemini Wolf's non-sequiturs. In that case, I'm going to be blunt: Do you really not have the patience to put up with Gemini Wolf? I really fail to see the problem here...

I will continue to be blunt (and probably oblivious, I am an Aries) but there are many people here, the people we are probably talking about but not naming names, who have been energetically damaged, whether by the Ra material or their own eagerness to be a balanced being. Gem blew open his third eye taking too much ayahuasca, something Ra says is entirely possible. He's healing and part of that healing is being here with us to help him. Isis, who I know you think is a troll TPP, said when she started reading the Ra material that she started having visions and other terrible scary things happen to her. Other people, like you TPP, admit to forcing their kundalini, which also causes damage (per Ra), which was the purpose of the ayahuasca, etc etc. I know the refrain is to welcome everyone, but limit participation by certain members in certain forums. You think people are going to stick around the first time a moderator comes into a thread and tells them that they are off-topic and not taking the material seriously enough, or that their contribution isn't valuable? No! And some of you would probably welcome that. But if everyone here eliminated the people we didn't resonate with, there would be nobody left.

I guess maybe it would help me grasp the situation more with some specific examples. Does anyone have any specific examples where someone came and posted something off-topic or inciting and derailed an important thread?
There is no magic greater than honest distortion toward love.
08-07-2015, 02:19 PM,
Jade Wrote:All I have to say is that I emotionally resonate with using the forums as more of a therapeutic tool than a rigorous study tool.

That seems to be the consensus of those who are participating in this conversation (though I assume there are many active members who are not participating).

Quote: I personally have no desire to spend time or energy on changing these forums to be something else

I find this acceptable. I keep getting the feeling that you are trying to protect something that you see TTP and I (most prominently) as threatening. Please trust our intentions. I don't want to take something valuable away from someone else and I don't think he does either. I'm just trying to find group clarity.

I responded honestly to a questionnaire explained why I said what I said when challenged. Despite holding that I have good reason to say what I say, I'm not attached to it. In the course of this discussion, I've come to realize that B4 may not be especially honest with itself about what purpose it serves. I have frequently wondered to myself why rigorous treatment of concepts is so difficult here. In the past, I have attributed this difficulty to the tendency of our members to rely more on intuition and synthesis than analysis. My experience tells me that the more perfect a balance between intuition and analysis, the better one's theoretical approach will be.

In any case, I'm learning that the study areas of this forum may be a sideshow to its real mission, imperfectly stated though it may be: to provide a safe and therapeutic haven for the STO seekers who need to heal and grow before returning to the real world.

Quote:I'm trying to think of many examples where this idea of threads being run off course happens. Does this happen a lot? Maybe I don't pay enough attention to the threads that are more involved in discoursing on the Law of One, but the only example I can really think of that may be "chronic" is Gemini Wolf's non-sequiturs. In that case, I'm going to be blunt: Do you really not have the patience to put up with Gemini Wolf?

In the archetypes forum it was fairly common until we intervened during A1's thread proliferation. (In response to your previous post, yes A1's threads were important to him, but all the other members could see that he had invested very little effort in creating most of them. That is what made them "throw-away". That is, they were his own throw-away thoughts.)

You do make a good point, though: how do we draw the line between appropriate moderation and draconian censorship? My solution was to structure the forum and its investment of responsibility in a way that encourages responsible posting habits. In principle, I'm advocating a kind of radical round-table approach, but I'm fully aware that that may not be possible at B4.

Quote:You think people are going to stick around the first time a moderator comes into a thread and tells them that they are off-topic and not taking the material seriously enough, or that their contribution isn't valuable? No! And some of you would probably welcome that. But if everyone here eliminated the people we didn't resonate with, there would be nobody left.

You're right that censorship can seem insulting. When I was trying to salvage A1's broken threads, I found that in the absence of an OP some comments became so out of context and tangential that there was nowhere to put them. The ones that had no discernible content whatsoever (snarky one-liners), I deleted and informed posters that I had done so. In retrospect, I don't like the practice, but I still can't think of a better solution to that specific conundrum. After that, though, I never felt comfortable with censoring posts in threads with a healthy OP. That is, even though my measures appeared draconian at first, I was unwilling to carry out that method beyond the adverse scenario on our hands.

Warnings are, of course, much more appropriate. But even so, if a member does not contribute to a conversation, then he or she must be informed that their outbursts are distracting. If the conversation becomes distasteful to that member because their non-sequiturs are not appreciated, then the member will to a different forum where they feel more comfortable. Energetically, that is how we "bar the way". While I do have patience to deal with one Gemini Wolf, (whom I prefer not to censor because he is so sweet), a focused discussion can't handle more than one. I have on previous occasion asked him via PM (I think) to stay on topic.

To put the same differently, stricter moderation in a study area does not have to be draconian. It can start with requests and then move to warnings before outright censorship takes place.

Jade Wrote:I guess maybe it would help me grasp the situation more with some specific examples. Does anyone have any specific examples where someone came and posted something off-topic or inciting and derailed an important thread?

Perhaps the easiest way to respond to this is that I agree with you about study on B4: I don't see very much serious study happening here. In which case, examples of less than erudite responses to a potentially focused topic abound. I may very well be expressing my own desire for something that B4 cannot provide, so it would be unfair of me to ask it to. Even so, it is worth finding clarity.

On the other hand, I spent some time looking for examples and I think you're right. Maybe thread derailment is a red herring here. I can't speak for forums other than Strictly and the archetypes sub-forum, but in exploring Strictly for a while, I feel pretty confident that the culture there is on-topic (despite Monica's complaints in her 2D entities thread). I can't speak much for the other forums. Or rather, what I can say is that when I open them I have the energetic sense that I never know what I'm going to get. Life on Planet Earth, Olio, and Treehugger's might as well all be the same forum as far as my attitudes are concerned. And I don't expect in those forums that threads will remain on-topic---this, however, is an energetic judgment and not a conclusion from a broad range of experience.

If therapy B4 is, then perhaps we ought to rethink the forums with that in mind. Additionally, if rigor and harmonized group efforts at STO projects others seek (such as myself), then perhaps the time is approaching when a new community forms around this unified goal.
All is well.
The following 1 user Likes JustLikeYou's post:
Bring4th_Jade
08-07-2015, 09:45 PM,
(08-07-2015, 12:09 PM)Jade Wrote:  All I have to say is that I emotionally resonate with using the forums as more of a therapeutic tool than a rigorous study tool. I try to have faith that everyone will get what they need, without much extra output from myself except my opinions and being. I personally have no desire to spend time or energy on changing these forums to be something else (except my regular praying/light visualizations to help ease the burdens, the passive stuff). If they do change, so be it, I will try to accept that, too.

I'm trying to think of many examples where this idea of threads being run off course happens. Does this happen a lot? Maybe I don't pay enough attention to the threads that are more involved in discoursing on the Law of One, but the only example I can really think of that may be "chronic" is Gemini Wolf's non-sequiturs. In that case, I'm going to be blunt: Do you really not have the patience to put up with Gemini Wolf? I really fail to see the problem here...

I will continue to be blunt (and probably oblivious, I am an Aries) but there are many people here, the people we are probably talking about but not naming names, who have been energetically damaged, whether by the Ra material or their own eagerness to be a balanced being. Gem blew open his third eye taking too much ayahuasca, something Ra says is entirely possible. He's healing and part of that healing is being here with us to help him. Isis, who I know you think is a troll TPP, said when she started reading the Ra material that she started having visions and other terrible scary things happen to her. Other people, like you TPP, admit to forcing their kundalini, which also causes damage (per Ra), which was the purpose of the ayahuasca, etc etc. I know the refrain is to welcome everyone, but limit participation by certain members in certain forums. You think people are going to stick around the first time a moderator comes into a thread and tells them that they are off-topic and not taking the material seriously enough, or that their contribution isn't valuable? No! And some of you would probably welcome that. But if everyone here eliminated the people we didn't resonate with, there would be nobody left.

I guess maybe it would help me grasp the situation more with some specific examples. Does anyone have any specific examples where someone came and posted something off-topic or inciting and derailed an important thread?

I'm going to make this REALLY clear.

If you do not understand the manner of care needed to moderate this forum, then stop skewing and distorting my explanations and suggestions.  Until then, thanks again for judging me.  Forcing Kundalini?  Is that even possible...?  I polarized quickly, I didn't say how, you judged, here's the Gavel, thank's for misconstruing my words, now do me a favor and kill me with it so I don't need to deal with trying to undistort my own words through your's anymore.
As for other members, they're all welcome to stay, I never said they aren't, they're free to be as they will be, actually, no, I'm done defending myself, READ MY POST before you reply to me.

Consider this my last suggestion:  Stop distorting everything you read into your own fantasy scenarios to nullify them in defense.  You have consistently done so towards me and it's frankly made me very skeptical of voicing my own opinion.  I don't know what your problem is, but you seriously should consider that you have one.  While I'm right there with you, I've made it clear the style of moderation available and capable of being done.

ASSUMING this place ever recoveries back into an active forum.

Elitist is a strong word you've used to describe me.  You should consider it looking back at how you've responded to most of my suggestions.  If you don't understand, I've tried, you clearly are the issue here as you seem to misunderstand my suggestions then voice that misunderstanding as if it were my suggestion.

If you do not know but believe you know, fine.  But until then, I don't know anything for sure, and am trying to offer solutions to pull people back in.  Read the guidelines.  I'm not nice when people consistently pull this manipulative crud upon me.  I don't hold myself high in integrity, I'm not going to pretend to be nice to someone who will take everything I say and try to nullify it with fantasy scenarios, labels, judgments and such.  I'm not an adept, I do not subscribe to being STO oriented.  I've been openminded and nonjudgmental in the past with this forum and enough have met me not in kind, in both the chatroom and forum environments.

So why should I care if you're going to just take everything I say and f*** it all up?  You remind me of my mother, a master manipulator, and while you may not be, you sure don't understand what my suggestions are asking and you sure need to consider the light of those suggestions as you seem to not comprehend them properly despite my various manners of expression and explanation.  If anything, I should be the one calling you an Elitist.

I'll return to speaking kindly when you stop messing with my words and suggestions as if I were some elitist bad guy trying to take over control of the forums.

Very.  Very.  Typical.

While others have a kinder disposition, I do not.  I have not had an appropriate time on this forum from what was advertised and thus expected to be, I have not seen this forum properly tended to as a Community, Garden, or otherwise.

I'll lurk about and await change but until then, I'm done giving suggestions.  I've made it painfully clear how I feel about this place and what it can be and how it can be.  All of it ignored for your madness of black and white mannerisms of what I'm saying versus the more subtle natures of what I'm intending.

I waste my time on this forum thinking I could be of help, in the light of this hypocrisy, I'm pretty sure I'm wasting my time still more than ever now.

That you don't even see it is akin to your perspective versus mine.  I understand yours, but you don't get mine.  I'm newer here, you've established clear-cut opinions of this place and it's operations of what is and is not normal to this place.  As have I, but mine came from THIS:
Home Page Welcome Wrote:Bring4th was started so that L/L Research would have a more active and engaged web voice, social community, and presence for spiritual activism.

What is spiritual activism? Our basic thrust from the Law of One teachings is this: We are all crystalline beings, who receive, transmute and send vibratory energies out into the planetary mix. When we are able to gather a group of people who wish to focus in on and share the vibrations of unconditional love, we, as a group, become a radiant focus of light and love which is much more powerful than each of us acting alone.

In a way, that is what we are attempting here—to form a place where people may connect in unconditional love, to learn and serve together. Our thought was that this next level of unity would include forming an on-line ashram, coffee shop, or cyber café—a place where everyone can express themselves in whatever way they wish, given that it is consonant with supporting, encouraging and being a force for the enlargement of love and light on Planet Earth. This Bring4th site has places for you to share your thoughts, your creativity, your questions, and your stories in forums, blogs, intra-website messaging, and chat rooms. Our hope is that as the site gathers momentum, Bring4th will endure as a friendly and welcoming place where people can surf to their heart’s content while exchanging thoughts and ideas in a warm and loving atmosphere.

I did not find that here IN ANY WAY.

If you wish it to remain still as a stagnating puddle, be my guest.  I can study this material alone as I have done before and I can enjoy it and seek out it's incorrect portions as I have done before alone.  I can start living love alone in my own time despite desperately wishing I didn't have to.  I came here thinking I would finally find some others to aid me in living love, instead, madness.

OH, OH, so then in your instance of nothing being wrong, here's a better suggestion than anything else I've said to show you just how your opinion of this forum can line up with mine!

Abolish these Guidelines:
Quote:1) Respect. Compassion. Loving-kindness. Empathy. Trust. Goodwill. Desire to serve. Embracing each other. Opening our heart. Participants are asked to keep the thought in the forefront of their minds at all times that each on this forum IS the Creator. Please keep communication respectful at all times and in all ways. The participant may disagree to the bone with an idea without personally attacking the author of the idea. Please remember that we are all here to expand our knowledge, deepen our understanding, and support one another by reflecting our divinity to each other. We are One being -- we are not here to forget the real.

2) The question of one's personal journey in integrating the Law of One teachings is of central interest and importance for this group, thus leading to practically limitless areas for personal sharing and participation in a safe atmosphere of mutual trust and respect. For this reason we ask that members of the forums keep their posts on topic. Possible general topics include, so far, those listed in the forums. This is not an exhaustive list of proper topics, but it does give one a general idea about what is considered "on topic". (Please email us if you have any suggestions for additional forum topics.) Our intention is that members are here to discuss this material and will have read at least a certain amount of the Confederation philosophy. To get yourself better acquainted with the primary source material, please visit L/L Research’s online Library at http://www.llresearch.org/library.aspx. Many basic philosophical questions and concerns can be also be answered by reading the Law of One Study Guide posted http://www.spiritofra.com/Ra-section%201.htm. This study guide is a distilled document of most of the major points raised in the Law of One series, and is highly recommended as a prerequisite for forum participation.

3) The New Age, ET, Metaphysical, and Alternative Physics communities are diverse, popular, and numerous. In order to have worthwhile discussion that is beneficial to those who are interested in the material of L/L Research, we must restrict our focus to topics that relate to our core mission. Consequently the vast majority of "popular" channeling is not included, and for most intents and purposes is considered off-topic. Such material is best discussed on other message boards devoted to the study and integration of those particular teachings.

Exception status is reserved for outside sources, channeled or otherwise, which are :
a) Being examined through the lens of the Law of One and not on their own terms. b) In alignment with the principles of spiritual evolution espoused by Confederation sources.

4) Philosophies and information which exhibit elements of deception, manipulative thinking, generate fear, reject or discourage universal love, and encourage or promote control of self or others – are considered to be not in alignment with the principles of spiritual evolution espoused by Confederation sources and are thus subject to moderation and/or removal.

THEN I wouldn't have ANY issues at all!  Because the hypocrisy would end, the lack of enforcement wouldn't matter, the poor maintenance of content wouldn't be an issue, and nothing would matter.  It could be your fun little friendly lost-and-innocent community hangout without worry of anyone complaining about the advertised way of the forum not being so!

Until then.  I've lost all niceness to offer to those who return my suggestions as atrocities.  I'll do the moderators a favor and leave this thread in it's entirety now as I'm infringing in my own hypocritical ways.

Do you know why I call myself a Tired Philosopher?

Because I put up with this kind of behavior from others CONSTANTLY.

I think I might be jumping the gun by saying this, but I'm too tired to bother participating in offering different ways this forum can interact with the world and, or Be, anymore.  You guys don't care that this place can help many and instead causes pain to them.

Why am I caring in return?  Why am I bothering...

And let my final note of hypocrisy be known: Moderation is not about telling people what they can and can not do.  It's about meeting people eye to eye and asking them in kindness to follow the stated mission of this forum, it is not about asking them to behave when they get a bit unruly, it is not about asking them to not be as they are.  It's about trying to retain some modicum of focus.  You mentioned GW, I like his small questions and little comments, they are not enough in my mind to warrant any kind of action until one of the more odd and lengthy posts appear, and even then, I wouldn't touch them.  I understand he has a rough time, just like Bourbon Betty very often made some pretty odd posts, I wouldn't have bothered with one here or there, especially if other members can move on beyond it.  Do you even comprehend what Empathy is?  Or forgiveness of another?  Or what being Openminded entails?  Or Openhearted?

Not that I can speak of that anymore, but having 'forced' my kundalini as you describe, through constant conscientious awareness of my thoughts, words, actions, and mannerisms for several months straight, I discovered the 'Magical Circumstance' and I lived Unconditional Love for months.  I've got a bit of a clue.  I'm speaking up only because of those experiences, otherwise who I was before all of that wouldn't have the courage or confidence nor belief in self to state any or say ANY OF THESE POSTS.  I'd just leave and not bother, I came back, maybe I should just give up on the entire concept of ever finding another to live love with.  I only stopped because I was alone, the one thing I desperately didn't want anymore.  Now that I'm not I don't need to fight here and try so hard but I am because others NEED this place and they need the help it can bring, broken or whole, shattered or not, this forum can be a place for everyone.

EVERY-ONE

I'm out.  I hope to see some level of change to this forum for the many who could benefit from this place and not JUST the few who are already here.  -gets hit in the ass on the way out-
08-12-2015, 12:25 PM,
I'm sorry for not responding sooner, I was away. I know you aren't posting in this thread anymore but I wanted to point out that I mentioned your forced kundalini because YOU mentioned it first:

Quote:All while trying to piece back together a broken mentality caused by rapid polarization from Living Love (yay not knowing that rapid kundalini rising could cause mental issues), losing my mind in my mind (if that...makes sense...), and having to make sense of the madness all alone, again, only now while shattered.

I didn't make the assumption, you told me this is what happened, and it is common here, which is why I support a therapeutic environment because it is a common/easy mistake to make upon encountering the Ra material, and people need help after this happens. Help that I desire to be better at offering.

Anyway. I appreciate your desire to point out my tendencies to be less than loving and accepting, because I am truly here to work on being loving and accepting, as we all are. So I hope we can continue to help each other this way.
There is no magic greater than honest distortion toward love.
The following 2 users Like Bring4th_Jade's post:
Elros, outerheaven