Poll: you can select multiple answers! please select all of the words that you think SHOULD be on the b4th auto-correct/censor word list
a s s h o l e
b i t c h
n i g g e r
f u c k
f u c k e r
fucking
ass
kaffir
cunt
faggot
some word(s) not listed
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
CENSORED SH!T (*WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE*)
11-16-2016, 03:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2017, 10:16 PM by isis.)
CENSORED SH!T (*WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE*)
what "bad" words (if any) do you think should be on b4th's auto-correct/censor word list?

on there:

a s s h o l e
b i t c h
n i g g e r
f u c k
f u c k e r
s h i t

NOT on there:

fucking
ass
kaffir
cunt
faggot
motherfucker

(that's all i can think of to check at the moment.)

"I am all that has been, and is, and shall be..."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2016, 05:47 PM,
RE: CENSORED POLL (*WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE*)
I don't really see the need for any cencorship at all whether it be on b4 or anywhere else. Whatever words are censored you can always use other words. And people always know what the word is so I'm not entirely sure who actually benefits that. And if they didn't all the asterisks just reinforce the focus on the fact that it is a bad word while different people might see them as less polarized than the censorship suggest. I'd like people to be honest with me even if they have to call me every of those words in the process if it is what they wish.

The creator is on both sides of the mirror but it's essence lies in the reflection itself. Dive within and it shall be reflected through you
The following 5 users Like Night Owl's post:
APeacefulWarrior, Cyanicca, Infinite Unity, isis, third-density-being
11-16-2016, 06:48 PM,
(11-16-2016, 05:47 PM)Night Owl Wrote:  I don't really see the need for any cencorship at all whether it be on b4 or anywhere else. Whatever words are censored you can always use other words. And people always know what the word is so I'm not entirely sure who actually benefits that. And if they didn't all the asterisks just reinforce the focus on the fact that it is a bad word while different people might see them as less polarized than the censorship suggest. I'd like people to be honest with me even if they have to call me every of those words in the process if it is what they wish.

my thoughts exactly, thank you for sharing.

today i learned that the mods have a list of words they plan to consider removing from the auto-correct bad-word list. i vote remove them all.

if anyone should feel that b4's filter is inadequate for their own personal feelings of comfort then they could just get this addon that is available that will let them create their own lol

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/foxreplace/

The following 1 user Likes isis's post:
APeacefulWarrior
11-16-2016, 07:17 PM,
I appreciate the censorship because it recognises the destructive power that some words have, far more than others. 

What has been on my mind recently is how the dialogue trends on Bring4th effects potential members that currently join in as guests. Or existing members that find it too troublesome at times to add their own view, because of the tone in the odd thread, here and there. Swareing or cussing certainly expresses how we feel in a given moment without any ambiguity. There is some honesty involved, for sure, but sombody, somewhere has been on the sharp end of emotionally charged words. So censoring out certain words is a peacable compromise that recognises the sensitivity to, and power of emotionally charged words. 

Like Alan Moore said with regards to magic, "spells" are cast by the words we use and they can be inspirational in quality, or they can perpetuate a certain degree of falsity. It's good to know why we are using the words we do and what metaphysical consequences they may have. 

When I was a kid I used to blame God when I got a spanking from my mum. I would say over and over in my head while nursing my sore butt, "I hate you God, I hate you God...".  Confused

Isn't every curse word an expression of blame?
...the highest wisdom is to suffer all men to have full liberty to think on all subjects in their own way. - OAHSPE  
The following 2 users Like Nicholas's post:
isis, Steppingfeet
11-16-2016, 10:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2016, 10:41 PM by Glow.)
RE: CENSORED SH!T (*WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE*)
I don't enjoy derogatory words popping up when I'm feeling peaceful and content.
Some curse words to me are just like and exclamation point or add colour but others truly are intended to degrade another... I don't enjoy that. Free will and all that but yeah I'd be on here less if posts were littered with racially or sexually degrading terms.

Ps I thought kaffir was a type of cheese. Not going to google it. Smile
The following 1 user Likes Glow's post:
isis
11-17-2016, 12:32 AM,
had to go look up kaffir lol

Q: Is there no end to self-discovery?
M: As there is no beginning, there is no end.
The following 1 user Likes sjel's post:
isis
11-17-2016, 12:37 AM,
I guess I'll add that I agree with Night Owl, I don't think anything should be censored. It actually does the opposite of what is intended, and strengthens the shock quality of the word.

Brings to mind this legendary Lenny Bruce bit:

Q: Is there no end to self-discovery?
M: As there is no beginning, there is no end.
The following 3 users Like sjel's post:
Dekalb_Blues, isis, third-density-being
11-17-2016, 01:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-30-2016, 10:48 AM by isis.)
more occurred to me. & they're all not on the auto-correct censored list. oh well. it doesn't let me edit the poll list & add words.

11-17-2016, 09:07 AM,
It's funny I'm not sure if the folks here are just not the type to be calling people by raciall/sexist slurs or the filters are super descreat because I cannot think of any posts I've seen with censored words. "*****"

Either way I think we have a group of people here who likely wouldn't be attackative in their use of curse words. It's likely all together a non-issue here.
The following 2 users Like Glow's post:
Bring4th_Jade, Nicholas
11-17-2016, 10:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2016, 10:08 AM by BlatzAdict.)
You and your apple sauce. Horse feathers!
The following 4 users Like BlatzAdict's post:
Diana, Glow, isis, third-density-being
11-17-2016, 11:54 AM,
(11-17-2016, 09:07 AM)Glow Wrote:  It's funny I'm not sure if the folks here are just not the type to be calling people by raciall/sexist slurs or the filters are super descreat because I cannot think of any posts I've seen with censored words. "*****"

Either way I think we have a group of people here who likely wouldn't be attackative in their use of curse words. It's likely all together a non-issue here.

since it can & does happen, though, i guess it's more about taking a precautionary measure. but idk maybe they will consider removing all of them since they're currently in the process of considering removing some. & "have no future plans to expand" the auto-correct list.

btw you must have missed the thread titled "trespassers..." it was back in april of this year. that thread is what motivated them to put the word n***** on the list.

The following 1 user Likes isis's post:
Glow
11-17-2016, 08:22 PM,
(11-17-2016, 11:54 AM)isis Wrote:  
(11-17-2016, 09:07 AM)Glow Wrote:  It's funny I'm not sure if the folks here are just not the type to be calling people by raciall/sexist slurs or the filters are super descreat because I cannot think of any posts I've seen with censored words. "*****"

since it can & does happen, though, i guess it's more about taking a precautionary measure. but idk maybe they will consider removing all of them since they're currently in the process of considering removing some. & "have no future plans to expand" the auto-correct list.

btw you must have missed the thread titled "trespassers..." it was back in april of this year. that thread is what motivated them to put the word n***** on the list.
I did remember that one later.... that word is one I am very glad is censored.
The following 1 user Likes Glow's post:
isis
11-17-2016, 09:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2016, 09:56 PM by Minyatur.)
Dwarf should be censored, bet that is utmost undesirable to certain people and I wouldnt't value the intensity of a word upon the amount of people it reaches beacause that would be most petty.

Who cares that person was hurt? The likelihood was not worth caring about. That huge % ppl that get hurt over that particular word is worth a lot more than that small % of ppl getting hurt over that word!

Don't get me started on the word fat.

It's all about the journey, not the destination.
The following 1 user Likes Minyatur's post:
isis
11-19-2016, 04:20 AM,
Well, this is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.

Time will tell.  It always does.
The following 2 users Like APeacefulWarrior's post:
Cyanicca, isis
11-30-2016, 02:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2016, 10:50 PM by Dekalb_Blues.)
RE: These Words Want To Kill Your Mama
Semprini.

And inevitably:

Cool
The following 2 users Like Dekalb_Blues's post:
isis, third-density-being
11-30-2016, 08:27 AM,
I don't encourage censorship.

Rather, a certain consciousness, sensibility, or preference of communication, seems to set the tone and attract individuals with similar states of mind in a group. I don't think anyone needs to be told what to say or not to say here. I think those who cross that invisible line into communication which does not fit with the general tone of integrity of B4 or any group, know it when they do. We all take responsibility for ourselves. 

There have been those members here with particularly acerbic or offensive language, and it's apparent. I don't think policing words here, however, would change the intent of anyone in such a mindset.

Beyond that, I leave it to the capable moderators to cull the herd when members are naughty. Tongue 
The following 3 users Like Diana's post:
Cyanicca, Dekalb_Blues, isis
01-26-2017, 10:02 PM,
Ooooh, "kaffir"! Nice. I always get excited when I learn a new swear word.

I love swearing, and I vote that all swear words are removed from the filter forever.

I guess not everyone feels that way, since I got messages from admins for using "gay" and "cunt" and was forced to change the posts in question, so some clarification on what language is allowed and what isn't would be nice.

Also, it seems ridiculous to have f*** on the b& list, but not fucking or motherfucker. Someone should either unban f*** or ban any word with those four letters in a sequence (forum software usually has a way to do this), since I can't think of any situation in which the "Scunthorpe problem" could possibly to the f-word.
The following 1 user Likes Mahakali's post:
isis
01-29-2017, 01:48 AM,
-shrug-

Never gonna please everybody. Some people like venom, some like sugar, changing what words they use won't change what people are saying. Those who are sharp and want to be sharp will be so, same as those who prefer gentility.
It is thought, therefore it is.
The following 1 user Likes Aion's post:
isis
02-02-2017, 12:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-02-2017, 12:16 AM by Cyanicca.)
Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. BEETLEJUICE!

VOLDEMORT!

BARBARA STREISAND!

Context matters, that's all I would say. I think there's a major difference between well known "swear" words and offensive language. Vielleicht, jemand versteht eure Scheißsprache nicht?

Examples (in English) that I would think are relatively harmless:

"I just took a s***. I feel great!"
"Can you believe that s***?
"You've got to be shitting me... that's wonderful!"
"Ain't that some s***!"
"Sounds like you got yourself into some pretty deep s***."
"Leave your s*** at the door and get your ass in here and party!"
"Oh yes, the s*** has indeed hit the fan."
"Whoa there, calm the s*** down, please - you're reading this way too fast!"

"Who the f*** cares what she says? You look amazing!
"How does it feel to be free again? Pretty damn good I must say."
"Am I ready? Abso-fucking-lutely!"

However, in the event that even ONE offensive word might slip through under the radar, regardless of context, perhaps it's best to just ban all of them. Can't have radical jihadist words slipping through with all the other non-offensive, context-dependent refugee words.

...too far?  Angel
"Only from exile can we come Home" - tgd
The following 1 user Likes Cyanicca's post:
isis
03-19-2017, 01:47 PM,
(01-26-2017, 10:02 PM)Mahakali Wrote:  ... I got messages from admins for using "gay" and "cunt" and was forced to change the posts in question, so some clarification on what language is allowed and what isn't would be nice.

you wrote "kinda gay" lol
i don't recall the context in which you used the word cunt...but from what i've observed it's ok to call someone a cunt as long as they're not a forum member. (donald & hillary got called a cunt. & that was fine.) i doubt you called a forum member a cunt though so why you were forced to remove the word i'm unsure. but anyway i'm assuming you can share that you find something "kinda gay" only if it isn't something a forum member has written.

hope that helps.

03-19-2017, 02:09 PM,

"Only from exile can we come Home" - tgd
The following 1 user Likes Cyanicca's post:
isis