html tips n tricks!
12-02-2010, 12:02 AM,
html tips n tricks!
A lot of people on the forum don't know all the little secrets involving how to do fancy stuff with your posts such as change the color of your text,

underline it

Quote:quote someone

change the position of your text

or other fun stuff! Let's nail down the details in this thread so we don't have repeat questions and answers throughout the forums. I'm sure there's other stuff that I don't know about, so please, if you can, share the secrets! This is stuff I've picked up from posting on html forums, so they should work on any forum that allows html.

Use brackets to tell the forum software what you want it to do. [ That's a bracket. I'll use
Code:
code boxes
to display the commands in this post so that the site doesn't hide what I'm trying to show you! It goes like this in any instance:
Code:
blah blah blah [function]text that we want to be affection by said function[/function].

----------

color!

Code:
[color=pink]Type your colored text here.[/color]
You can use color names for preset colors, or use the html color code in place of the name (will look something like 000066) if you know it. But you won't use that unless you want a really specific color, cuz you can even name maroon!

----------

Code:
Use [size=24]la dee da[/size]
for BIG text. The number refers to the point of the type. Regular type is size 12, but it doesn't seem to behave normally here at Bring4th. So even 10 point type appears really big! Weird. With a functional system, you could make your text really tiny too. Remember not to stretch the page with big text... Everyone loves pages that scroll up and down. Nobody likes pages that scroll sideways.

----------

Out of...
alignment!

Code:
Use [align=right][/align]
to have your text aligned to the right of the page rather than the left. Looks like align=middle doesn't work here for some reason. Sad You could also use align=left, but that wouldn't make any sense since text aligns left by default.

----------

Underlined, bold, italic text comes from using
Code:
[u], [b], or [i]. And obviously, [/u], [/b], [/i].
Use them together to make a statement!

----------

Now the meat and potatoes! Quoting someone. This is the most commonly used function, so there's a reply button below every post you can click in order to open a new post with that person's post already quoted in the text box. If you want to quote more than one post, use the little plus buttons below the posts.

Code:
[quote]This is the quoted text[/quote] is how it works. [quote=username][/quote] for a quote box with "username wrote:" When you click the quote button, the forum software here will use [quote='username' pid='12345' dateline='1234567890'][/quote]
The ' characters keep the names and numbers separate from the quoting command. Doing that makes a quote box with "username wrote: (little green arrow)" where the little green arrow, if clicked, takes you to the quoted post. Cool! Cool

You can also have a quote within a quote, ad infinitum.

Code:
[quote=Larry]
[quote=Bob]Bob said something[/quote]
And Larry replied to it[/quote]
But I, the poster, have a reply to THAT!

So now you can trim up your quotes or only quote a certain part of someone's post. Remember to type your response after the final [/quote], especially in a quote chain. Otherwise, your reply will get lost in the quote.

----------

And finally, use {code}{/code} (but with [ instead of { ) to make code boxes to showcase commands.

Anything I missed? :p
"A mountain holds an echo deep inside. That's how I hold your voice."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2010, 12:16 AM,
RE: html tips n tricks!
Wow Aaron, thanks so much for taking the time to share this! Very helpful! I get asked all the time how to quote another post. But I always just copy and paste the quote box. I didn't know about the the +.
12-04-2010, 12:24 AM,
RE: html tips n tricks!
(12-04-2010, 12:16 AM)Bring4th_Monica Wrote:  Wow Aaron, thanks so much for taking the time to share this! Very helpful! I get asked all the time how to quote another post. But I always just copy and paste the quote box. I didn't know about the the +.

I didn't either until Poffo mentioned it in a thread that for the life of me I can't seem to find now...
"A mountain holds an echo deep inside. That's how I hold your voice."