Name Change
08-20-2012, 04:08 PM,
Name Change
Hey, all. GLB suggested I make a post letting you all know I've jumped on the name-changing bandwagon and changed my user name. I've never been particularly fond of my first name, mostly due to the many unpleasant stereotypes attributed to it, but I feel like it is time for me to be truly open with myself. Brittany was the name I was given, and so I wear it proudly.

-ahktu/Brittany/Lynn
Quote this message in a reply
The following 11 users Like Brittany's post:
Aaron, BrownEye, Conifer16, Daydreamin, jacrob, Parsons, Patrick, Regulus, Ruth, Spaced, βαθμιαίος
08-20-2012, 04:26 PM,
RE: Name Change
Awe, I'm proud of you. Smile
08-20-2012, 05:02 PM,
I never knew there was a stereotype for that name.
one who knows not, cares not.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2012, 05:16 PM,
It's very hard to describe but in my opinion we actually pick our names before we come to 'school'/Earth.

I say this b/c of my son Christopher Skyler who we call Skyler. We didn't know if it was going to be a boy or girl and two weeks before he was born we changed the boys name from Christopher Tyler to Christopher Skyler. The way we both on the same day came up with the name after we were set on on the name Tyler was way too much of a coincidence in my opinion. Now we're working on the girl who's name is going to be Evelyn Jean!

Just my two cents
The following 2 users Like Daydreamin's post:
jacrob, Parsons
08-20-2012, 07:37 PM,
At least around here, the name "Brittany" brings to mind the image of a blonde cheerleader b!tch of minimal intelligence, who uses her body to get what she wants. I've gotten a lot of thoughtless jokes sent my way due to my name. When I went to see a really prominent psychic and told her my name, she was like "I'm sorry, but that name isn't you at all! You're too smart for that name!" Which hurt, though I know she didn't meant it as an insult. I eventually started going by Lynn instead, but I think I've finally balanced myself to the point where I can reveal my true first name to people without feeling some vague sense of shame.

Some typical Brittany stereotypes:

http://glee.wikia.com/wiki/Brittany_Pierce

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears
(spelled different but the jokes still come in droves)

http://dariawiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Brittany_Taylor

To make it worse I'm naturally blonde, but aside from that detail I'm pretty much the anti-thesis of the Brittany stereotype. Perhaps that is why I chose that name to begin with. :p
The following 2 users Like Brittany's post:
Patrick, Sagittarius
08-20-2012, 07:58 PM,
(08-20-2012, 05:16 PM)Daydreamin Wrote:  It's very hard to describe but in my opinion we actually pick our names before we come to 'school'/Earth.

I say this b/c of my son Christopher Skyler who we call Skyler. We didn't know if it was going to be a boy or girl and two weeks before he was born we changed the boys name from Christopher Tyler to Christopher Skyler. The way we both on the same day came up with the name after we were set on on the name Tyler was way too much of a coincidence in my opinion. Now we're working on the girl who's name is going to be Evelyn Jean!

Just my two cents

Can't go wrong with Christopher just sayin Wink.
The following 1 user Likes Sagittarius's post:
Daydreamin
08-20-2012, 08:31 PM,
Hmm, when I hear Brittany I think instead of the region in Northwestern France . . . ancient megalithic culture . . . home to several celtic tribes . . . home to protagonist of the epic La Chanson de Roland . . .

Names can have much meaning Smile
The following 1 user Likes Spaced's post:
Patrick
08-20-2012, 08:37 PM,
(08-20-2012, 07:37 PM)Brittany Lynn Wrote:  To make it worse I'm naturally blonde, but aside from that detail I'm pretty much the anti-thesis of the Brittany stereotype. Perhaps that is why I chose that name to begin with. :p

We see the inside of you. You are radiant golden. Your name could be Ignatz for all we care.Smile

The following 1 user Likes Eddie's post:
Patrick
08-20-2012, 09:22 PM,
I'm totally filing that one away for use in future lives.
08-20-2012, 10:16 PM,
The idea of preconceived notions around the name Brittany (or any name) kind of baffles me.

Especially that part about the psychic saying "I'm sorry, but that name isn't you at all! You're too smart for that name!"

wtf? Who pigeonholes someone because of their name?

I like your name, but I think that you'll be stuck in my head as Lynn :p
The following 1 user Likes Bring4th_Austin's post:
Parsons
08-20-2012, 11:43 PM,
I really like Lynn as well. Honestly, it isn't even my middle name. I just picked it at random, but it seems to fit me. I still prefer to be called Lynn, but I feel like it's important that I not be ashamed of my true vibration.
The following 2 users Like Brittany's post:
Conifer16, Daydreamin
08-21-2012, 12:41 AM,
your name makes me think of roman Britain :-P i think it is cool
08-21-2012, 01:03 AM,
Technically it means "From Britain" or "Of the Brits".
The following 1 user Likes Brittany's post:
Conifer16
08-21-2012, 01:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 01:08 AM by Conifer16.)
oh, well that makes perfect sense then :-) haha
08-21-2012, 02:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2012, 02:44 AM by Ashim.)
(08-20-2012, 07:37 PM)Brittany Lynn Wrote:  At least around here, the name "Brittany" brings to mind the image of a blonde cheerleader b!tch of minimal intelligence, who uses her body to get what she wants.

Funny I always thought you were like that. LOL.
Heart
Initialy I thought the forum had come under attack. Name changer robots!
The following 1 user Likes Ashim's post:
Parsons
08-21-2012, 06:40 AM,
Cool Smile
my real name is Maria but most of my friends here call me Meerie also, which could be likened to the german transcription of Mary.
To me Meerie sounds fresh and green, therefore I like it.
Smile
The following 1 user Likes Meerie's post:
Ruth
08-21-2012, 07:15 AM,
(08-20-2012, 08:31 PM)Spaced Wrote:  Hmm, when I hear Brittany I think instead of the region in Northwestern France . . . ancient megalithic culture . . . home to several celtic tribes . . . home to protagonist of the epic La Chanson de Roland . . .

Names can have much meaning Smile

+1. A lovely and fascinating place. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany

Ahktu/Lynn/Brittany: Last year at homecoming I noticed how much power you have. It's awesome that you are now making peace with the beautiful blond cheerleader side of your nature.
The following 1 user Likes βαθμιαίος's post:
Patrick
08-21-2012, 12:37 PM,
βαθμιαίος, what you said was kind of profound to me. I've always seen the image of a cheerleader as such a negative thing because of the way it is portrayed in the media, yet more and more I have been learning that my power involves the bringing together and supporting of those willing to serve. If we were all a body, I'd be something like a nervous system, or maybe the skin, holding everything together and shuttling energy through the whole structure. As my dreamspell says, I have a knack for sniffing out "companions of destiny".

There is nothing wrong with inspiring spirit and rallying your companions to do great things, and that was the initial purpose of cheerleaders- to hype the crowd and get people into the game so the players would feel encouraged. The images of bad attitudes and sexual promiscuity were distortions added later as a particular system of thought became perverted. The only thing that has been holding me back is my own negative perceptions of a very positive role.

Thanks, guys. I continue to flower and grow. Smile
The following 4 users Like Brittany's post:
Parsons, Patrick, Spaced, βαθμιαίος
08-21-2012, 01:16 PM,
Who goes by their middle name or last name? I mean... Honestly‽ That's just the silliest.... Oh wait.BlushBlushBig GrinTongue
-==-
The following 1 user Likes Parsons's post:
Ruth
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM,
Ruth is my middle name, which is what I use here.

Most people call me Bonnie

Except my grandmother who always called me Bonnie Ruth

Heart Ruth
The following 1 user Likes Ruth's post:
Parsons
08-21-2012, 01:46 PM,
Shocked  RE: Name Change
(08-21-2012, 01:35 PM)Ruth Wrote:  Ruth is my middle name, which is what I use here.

Most people call me Bonnie

Except my grandmother who always called me Bonnie Ruth

My soul name is Ashim, my given name in this life is Christopher.
My wife calls me lazy a****** as a sort of term of endearment.

The following 2 users Like Ashim's post:
Parsons, Ruth
08-21-2012, 04:41 PM,
My middle name is Colleen.
08-21-2012, 04:48 PM,
It's funny which name we choose to be called by. My sister had to use her middle name during her youth since we lived in Greece and they had trouble pronouncing the Z in Elizabeth but could easily pronounce Ariadne, now we live in Canada and no one can get Ariadne right Tongue

My father has a stodgy sounding name, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone address him by any name other than Sandy.

On the other hand, I've always felt that my first name suits me fine Big Grin
08-23-2012, 05:41 PM,
Its a lovely name. Made even more so cause we know the soul that resides with it.

Richard
The boldness of asking deep questions may require unforeseen flexibility if we are to accept the answers. ~ Brian Greene