Anyone having issues accessing the forums
11-20-2013, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 03:07 PM by Bring4th_Austin.)
Anyone having issues accessing the forums
Hello all,

Some of you have noted that you are having issues connecting to the forums lately, or some of you may know people who are unable to connect.

In light of the recent security issues we have been having on Bring4th (the site was essentially being ninja hijacked by some email spambots to send out friendly offers of sexual energy transfer), we have been forced by our host to upgrade our security to near-Fort Knox levels.

This means that if you even look at the forums the wrong way, they will block your access. The good thing? This will take care of all the security issues (which were the root of the previous performance issues). The bad thing? Anyone accessing the forums from any type of non-conventional IP, or even through some conventional means which the security protocols don't recognize, will find themselves having issues connecting to the forums.

So, if you are having any sort of issue, or know someone who is but cannot connect to express it, please let us know in this thread and we will work hard to try to make sure you are able to connect.

We're really sorry about this big inconvenience. We were essentially given a choice by our hosts to either beef up our security beyond reason or they were going to shut us down. We didn't know the security upgrade would be causing such issues, but it's better than the community disappearing completely, no?
The following 4 users Like Bring4th_Austin's post:
Fastidious Emanations, isis, kycahi, Marc
11-20-2013, 01:46 PM,
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums
*raises hand* I know Isaac, Chickeninspace, Patrick and Spaced are/were having issues aswell.
Quote this message in a reply
The following 1 user Likes Melissa's post:
Patrick
11-20-2013, 02:51 PM,
I was having issues last week but they seem to have cleared up.
11-20-2013, 05:34 PM,
Small update:

For those using a proxy server to connect to the forums, the new security directives do screen for proxy hosts, since they are used in basically all online attacks. Unfortunately, we don't have a solution for this. We can't disable the function that screens for proxy hosts on our current web host.

Melissa, or anyone who is in contact with someone who is having issues connect, could you possibly pass the following on to them?

If you are able to get to Bring4th by some means other than the one that is being blocked, fill out a comment on our Contact Us page with the IP address of the computer which is being blocked (http://www.whatsmyip.org/ is easy to find that info). This notify Steve immediately and he will attempt to remedy the problem.

If you are unable to connect to the forum at all, send an email to contact(at)llresearch(dot)org describing your issue, with your IP address, and we will pass the message along to Steve.

Thanks all.
11-20-2013, 05:59 PM,
Okidoki, thank you Austin!
11-20-2013, 06:14 PM,
I'm actually having the opposite issue, I am over accessing this site lol sorry, wrong thread.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 4 users Like reeay's post:
kycahi, Parsons, zenmaster, βαθμιαίος
11-20-2013, 07:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2013, 08:05 PM by Patrick.)
EDIT: just read the second post. will send my info.

"You are not here to fix it... You are here to love it." ~ Q'uo
11-21-2013, 03:37 AM,
I've had several instances where I can access the site and after about an hour or four it goes tits up. Sent the IP I'm on now, though.
What you see is what you want.
11-21-2013, 07:51 PM,
It stopped working a couple of days ago, I use firefox. Currently at another location on IE at evidently working at the moment. I'll get around to sending my ip(s) soon...
11-22-2013, 01:21 AM,
I've sent Steve my IP, et voila, don't have any trouble accessing B4 at the moment. (Yay)
Thanks again guys.
11-23-2013, 11:49 AM,
I'm still blocked and I can't use the form to send my IP. The submit form will not work from here. Sad

11-23-2013, 11:57 AM,
(11-23-2013, 11:49 AM)Patrick Wrote:  I'm still blocked and I can't use the form to send my IP. The submit form will not work from here. Sad

Couldn't use the form either when I was using a proxy server, so I sent my IP via email.
11-23-2013, 12:11 PM,
(11-23-2013, 11:57 AM)Melissa Wrote:  
(11-23-2013, 11:49 AM)Patrick Wrote:  I'm still blocked and I can't use the form to send my IP. The submit form will not work from here. Sad

Couldn't use the form either when I was using a proxy server, so I sent my IP via email.

Good idea. I sent a PM without effect, but I'll try an email from llresearch instead.

Thanks

11-23-2013, 12:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013, 12:28 PM by IndigoGeminiWolf.)
Looks like using a proxy server worked. But I am blocked so bad that I cannot even ping bring4th.org. It times out. Using a proxy server now. Been like this for 3 days, but I just thought of trying the proxy server. Sent Steve and Austin a PM. I thought they had banned me.

There is an anthro somewhere who needs me and I need them.
11-23-2013, 01:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2013, 02:01 PM by Patrick.)
What is happening here is an example of fear-based collective "reality" filtering down to us. I wonder what within me brought this experience into external "reality".

I guess our collective wants to go a bit deeper within fear and separation before it finally is ready to raise itself.

Yé I'm back ! Smile

The following 2 users Like Patrick's post:
Parsons, reeay
11-24-2013, 12:06 AM,
Firefox hasn't worked to connect for a week, but Opera has... which means it hasn't been an IP problem but a browser compatibility issue. Seems to be resolved, I'm able to log in on Firefox tonight... ya!
I would request for all of those reading my words, please guard well your thoughts. If my words resonate, then by all means take them and use them as you can. If they do not resonate, please let them fall away like water does from a ducks back, and move on. Love/Light, Adonai.
11-24-2013, 09:00 AM,
With browser issues, clearing cookies helps sometimes.

I think what got me banned was clicking "reply" to a thread when I wasn't logged in. That caused a 403 (request denied) error which then (I think) triggered an auto-ban of my IP address.
11-24-2013, 12:59 PM,
Steve white listed me. Was good news.

The following 1 user Likes IndigoGeminiWolf's post:
Patrick
11-25-2013, 09:50 AM,
I haven't done anything or emailed my ip yet but seems to be working again now finally, i've got some catching up to do!
11-25-2013, 02:01 PM,
(11-23-2013, 12:27 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote:  Looks like using a proxy server worked. But I am blocked so bad that I cannot even ping bring4th.org. It times out. Using a proxy server now. Been like this for 3 days, but I just thought of trying the proxy server. Sent Steve and Austin a PM. I thought they had banned me.

lol...why would they ban u?

"I am all that has been, and is, and shall be..."
11-25-2013, 02:35 PM,
I was banned from another forum for posting too much. 5 posts a day was too much for them and they got onto me for it, and then banned me. They also read our PMs.

12-06-2013, 09:09 AM,
(11-25-2013, 02:35 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote:  I was banned from another forum for posting too much. 5 posts a day was too much for them and they got onto me for it, and then banned me. They also read our PMs.

yes, some people get on a posting spree. I can definitely relate Big Grin

(11-20-2013, 01:20 PM)Bring4th_Austin Wrote:  We're really sorry about this big inconvenience. We were essentially given a choice by our hosts to either beef up our security beyond reason or they were going to shut us down. We didn't know the security upgrade would be causing such issues, but it's better than the community disappearing completely, no?

yes, it seems unfortunate that this was the outcome. The security is affecting many users from their home IP's (definitely not proxy, and definitely not spam), and I am sure (as Horuseus already mentioned) that many casual users will just give up if they find the site blocked, and have no real recourse to correct it (after all, they can't access the site to see this sort of information etc).

the people who love the site and find themselves blocked while using a 'normal IP address' will persist, and try on their work computer, or their phone, or a different browser etc, and there have been more than one or two instances of this, as this thread attests. That is just the tip of the iceberg though. The 'average user' will just walk away, shrug their shoulders, and think this site is down or poorly managed.
The following 2 users Like Bring4th_Plenum's post:
Parsons, xise
12-07-2013, 10:42 AM,
(12-06-2013, 09:09 AM)plenum Wrote:  ...The 'average user' will just walk away, shrug their shoulders, and think this site is down or poorly managed.

Yeah, but down here this is a catalyst like everything else. We are the masters of limitations after all. Smile

12-08-2013, 12:12 AM,
That must mean I'm not an average user, because I stuck with it trying to log in for 3-4 days before learning about the proxy, and then getting unblocked. I didn't turn away at first thought.

12-09-2013, 07:37 PM,
Had problems accessing site last night/this morning. Thank you Austin and Steve for assistance!
12-09-2013, 10:22 PM,
Anyone having 403 - No Access Permitted when searching old threads?
12-09-2013, 10:26 PM,
(12-09-2013, 07:37 PM)rie Wrote:  Had problems accessing site last night/this morning. Thank you Austin and Steve for assistance!

yeah, I got pinged from my home IP as well, for no discernable suspect behaviour (or at least no suspect behaviour that I'm aware of Big Grin)

as I expressed above, the number of false positive identifications on their spam algorithm is going to prevent quite a number of casual/regular users from accessing the site, with no knowledge or awareness that this heightened security measure is in place, and that they are not doing anything wrong at all (not accessing via a proxy server etc etc).

but if the situation cannot be remedied (and it seems as though host provider is adamant on this policy, and one is locked into a long term contract), then the situation is, as I've said, unfortunate, but something that cannot be changed, at least for the time being.

but it will have fallout effects on many users, who are not engaging in any sort of suspicious or even unusual behaviour. (I was chatting with Spaced in the chatroom for about 5 minutes, when he suddenly dropped out, and he said he had been banned for no discernable reason).

I got banned this morning after I posted a thread (it let me post the thread, then banned me lol). So the detection algorithm is definitly acting like an auto-immune disease at the moment Big Grin

- -

peace; and maybe the next step up is to buy oneself an own server; and then there will be no resource conflicts and total control over the site admin.

that is not as outrageous as it might have been once (in terms of cost). But it is still quite a step up from VPS hosting, and this move to VPS was only made quite recently.

but in truth, as the banner over the forums says, LL is doing their fundraising to cover current costs, and is in no position to outlay more finances.

so the current limitations are as they are, and acceptance is the only approach that can brought to bear on the moment.

plenum
12-09-2013, 10:42 PM,
lol@banned Big Grin how dare 'they'! The 403 problem (that occurred while trying to click on Plenum's old thread about magical personality lol) is gone now. Yesterday prior to losing access to b4th I kept getting 403 every time I tried opening threads.
12-10-2013, 01:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 01:46 AM by Parsons.)
(12-09-2013, 10:22 PM)rie Wrote:  Anyone having 403 - No Access Permitted when searching old threads?

Yep, bring4th was down for an hour or two. I tried from my work computer then from the 3g connection on my phone.

Plus I pinged bring4th.org from my work computer. I was able to ping llresearch.org but bring4th timed out.
-==-
12-10-2013, 04:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013, 05:09 PM by Parsons.)
Now it appears my work IP is banned 96.63.68.4

Yep, it's definitely banned. I put on a random proxy server and I can access the forums again.
-==-