Anyone having issues accessing the forums
12-10-2013, 05:56 PM,
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums
I get 403 when trying to open pages I'm searching or have bookmarked. If I click on links to page from the forum, I can open.

[Image: 23u9aax.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2013, 03:20 PM,
Rie, when you still go to that page, do you get a 403 error? I am interested in knowing if it was a temporary 403, or if it's a persistent issue for you.

I've gone ahead and added your IP to the white list, which would prevent any security measures from giving you a 403 screen. If you still get one from here on out, then it is likely not the security rules, but a deeper issue that we can look into.

But I don't suspect there to be an issue at this point.

Let me know! :-)
Steve
12-12-2013, 03:25 PM,
I just tried typing in the address in Rie's screenshot and got the same error.
12-12-2013, 03:27 PM,
I have an update for everyone regarding the security measures, which have impacted a hefty handful of folks here.

Thankfully, with all of the people we've added to the IP whitelist, we are now able to see when they still trip the same rule that caused them to be denied. This now helps me to realize that the rule is being triggered from legitimate use, and therefore is a candidate for being lifted.

I found 3 such rules that have been sticklers to us so far. I've lifted all 3, and I'm really hoping that this thread turns into a ghost town... In other words, no one is experiencing any more blocked access.

I'm really sorry that we were directed by our web host to get a little more serious about our security. Apparently our site was hanging out in the wind, which invited a swarm of bots to come in and overtake the e-mail server.

With a LOT of help from our host, they taught me a ton about security on a VPS system, and I now believe we are reaching a balance between locking down the system from bad traffic, while keeping it open enough to not block anyone who wishes to be here.

Please continue to post here if you have any issues whatsoever with being blocked. While I identified 3 solid rules to lift, I would be surprised if those three are the only ones, as we have HUNDREDS of rules that apply to each and every request you make with your browser! Isn't that just mind-boggling to think about?? The sheer amount of scrutiny placed upon every link, button, or page you visit. Pretty amazing to watch what it takes to secure a system.

I hope everyone has a warm and beautiful Christmas season this year.
With love,
Steve
The following 5 users Like Bring4th_Steve's post:
Horuseus, Patrick, reeay, Spaced, xise
12-12-2013, 03:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 03:59 PM by βαθμιαίος.)
Hey Steve -- this is interesting. As I said above, I typed in the address from Rie's screenshot and got the same error she did. However, if I take off the "&highlight=%22law+of+free+will%22" from the URL the thread loads fine.

Upon further testing: it's the encoded double quotes that cause the error. "&highlight=law+of+free+will" (no %22) works fine.
The following 1 user Likes βαθμιαίος's post:
reeay
12-12-2013, 04:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 04:20 PM by reeay.)
(12-12-2013, 03:20 PM)Bring4th_Steve Wrote:  Rie, when you still go to that page, do you get a 403 error? I am interested in knowing if it was a temporary 403, or if it's a persistent issue for you.

I've gone ahead and added your IP to the white list, which would prevent any security measures from giving you a 403 screen. If you still get one from here on out, then it is likely not the security rules, but a deeper issue that we can look into.

But I don't suspect there to be an issue at this point.

Let me know! :-)
Steve
Thank you so much Steve Heart really appreciated. I found other ways to access these pages. I am able to access that particular page if I click from the forum. It does not work when I click from the 'search' results or from my bookmark. Does that make sense?

(12-12-2013, 03:54 PM)βαθμιαίος Wrote:  Hey Steve -- this is interesting. As I said above, I typed in the address from Rie's screenshot and got the same error she did. However, if I take off the "&highlight=%22law+of+free+will%22" from the URL the thread loads fine.

Upon further testing: it's the encoded double quotes that cause the error. "&highlight=law+of+free+will" (no %22) works fine.

Yes when taking off the "&highlight=%22law+of+free+will%22" it totally works!
12-12-2013, 04:54 PM,
Can you please whitelist my work's IP address 96.63.68.4 ?
-==-
12-12-2013, 05:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 05:20 PM by Horuseus.)
I just got my I.P. blocked browsing to βαθμιαίος's link above. Posting from mobile currently.

Edit: All is well again. Thanks Steve.
12-12-2013, 05:57 PM,
I can access pages from search result now.

Following βαθμιαίος's example (take out %22), I'm able to access pages that I had bookmarked.

Another bookmarked page that 403'd came out as this: http://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=2177&highlight=%22law+of+free+will%22

Not sure where all the '%22' came from.
12-12-2013, 06:06 PM,
(12-12-2013, 05:57 PM)rie Wrote:  Not sure where all the '%22' came from.

Possibly from putting quotes in the search form, ie

[Image: R7ZubIU.jpg]

(%22 is the encoded form of a double quote.)
The following 2 users Like βαθμιαίος's post:
Bring4th_Steve, reeay
12-12-2013, 06:50 PM,
All set, Parsons!

(12-12-2013, 04:54 PM)Parsons Wrote:  Can you please whitelist my work's IP address 96.63.68.4 ?
The following 1 user Likes Bring4th_Steve's post:
Parsons
12-12-2013, 06:54 PM,
Tobey, that's good sleuthing!

The hard part is figuring out where that rule exists amongst the hundreds and hundreds in our filter chain.

I might be able to find something in a forum. I can understand why double quotes would cause concern, since quotes can be a dangerous tool when escaping database queries! It would therefore make sense that quotation marks are not working with database calls, while they work just fine as links.

I'll look into this, but at this point I have to continue working on the new site! These smaller potatoes can really drain a lot of time. :-)

Steve
12-12-2013, 07:04 PM,
I think you're right that it's probably a rule designed to prevent SQL injections. Single quotes and semi-colons also generate 403 errors.

Good luck on the new site!
12-12-2013, 07:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 07:06 PM by reeay.)
When I had used quotations in the search and clicked on thread in the results I would usually be able to see the thread but now it does 403.
12-12-2013, 10:48 PM,
The Dream Thread seems f'ed right now. Can't see the latest post there.

Service to Others means Service to All. That includes yourself.
12-12-2013, 11:35 PM,
I've noticed in the longer threads (The Treehugger's thread does it to me as well) that I often am missing the last few posts on the thread.
There is no magic greater than honest distortion toward love.
12-12-2013, 11:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 11:46 PM by Parsons.)
Thannnkksssss Steeevveee! Tongue

Perhaps this will be helpful: My work IP was banned precisely when I had two browser tabs open with different forum threads open. I was posting in one and using the other in reference. It was being a bit slow so I refreshed the one that was making a reply in.
-==-
12-13-2013, 01:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2013, 01:09 AM by Bring4th_Steve.)
Xise,

The "invisible last post" is a bug that exists in the current MyBB code base. It won't be fixed until 2.0 is released. Right now we're on 1.6, and we'll likely hold back from 2.0 until a majority of the bugs are worked out (it's an overhaul, so we can expect plenty of kinks).

The invisible last post is an issue that happens when a thread reaches its maximum number of posts on a page, and the pagination options become visible. Turns out the one unlucky post is thankfully saved into the system, but does not become visible until a second post on the page is made. Then both become visible, and the cycle repeats x posts later.

It's weird, I know. But I did not design the forum, and so we must wait for the fixes to come out on their own.

Here's a tip, though. You can go into your preferences and set the number of items you want to see "per page". By changing the amount of posts per page, you are guaranteeing that the hidden post would no longer be the first post of the newest page, and it would therefore appear.
The following 2 users Like Bring4th_Steve's post:
Parsons, xise
12-13-2013, 08:19 AM,
you can also hit 'new reply' on some of those longer threads, and if you scroll down, you will always be able to see the most recent posts in the thread.

it shows up under 'Thread Review (Newest First)'

you can always see the hidden posts that way.

a little workaround I discovered by accident Big Grin
The following 4 users Like Bring4th_Plenum's post:
Bring4th_Jade, reeay, xise, βαθμιαίος
12-13-2013, 09:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2013, 10:52 AM by βαθμιαίος.)
(12-12-2013, 05:01 PM)Horuseus Wrote:  I just got my I.P. blocked browsing to βαθμιαίος's link above. Posting from mobile currently.

Steve, is there a way to disconnect the 403 errors from the firewall? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that if someone loads a page that generates a 403 error for whatever reason (%22 or other), then they're automatically blacklisted. Maybe you could leave the 403 errors in place, if that's what the VPS provider wants to prevent SQL injections, etc, but cause it not to be so aggressive about adding IP addresses to the blacklist.
12-13-2013, 03:53 PM,
(12-13-2013, 01:07 AM)Bring4th_Steve Wrote:  Here's a tip, though. You can go into your preferences and set the number of items you want to see "per page". By changing the amount of posts per page, you are guaranteeing that the hidden post would no longer be the first post of the newest page, and it would therefore appear.
didn't work for me.

"I am all that has been, and is, and shall be..."
12-13-2013, 04:21 PM,
Where do you find the "per page" preference?
12-13-2013, 05:01 PM,
(12-13-2013, 04:21 PM)βαθμιαίος Wrote:  Where do you find the "per page" preference?
go to ur dash. go to edit profile. go to edit options. it's under "thread view options"

"I am all that has been, and is, and shall be..."
The following 2 users Like isis's post:
Parsons, βαθμιαίος
12-13-2013, 06:50 PM,
Thanks! Changing posts per page fixed the treehuggers thread for me.
12-16-2013, 06:32 PM,
I noticed the forums were down for awhile yesterday. I kept getting a MyBB error when trying to access them.

Just an observation, but it appears as though the Archetypes of Mind, Body, & Spirit section of the forums is getting heavily browsed by some kind of bot. I'm not sure if its just some web crawler/spider such as Google or if it's a malicious bot, but the threads in that section get an inordinate amount of views compared to other threads in other sections. I'm wondering if there is some reason this section gets all those views that can be fixed to reduce the artificial load on the Bring4th servers.
-==-
12-18-2013, 07:57 AM,
Where did all my Likes go? I worked hard for those. Lol.
12-18-2013, 08:08 AM,
They're still there: http://www.bring4th.org/forums/tylsearch.php?action=usertylforposts&uid=4096

But the counter isn't working.
12-18-2013, 08:23 AM,
(12-18-2013, 08:08 AM)βαθμιαίος Wrote:  They're still there: http://www.bring4th.org/forums/tylsearch.php?action=usertylforposts&uid=4096

But the counter isn't working.

So I noticed. Likely a resync is in order:

Quote:- Thank Yous/Likes can be recounted and rebuilt if they get out of sync for any reason.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/thank-you-like-system
12-18-2013, 01:00 PM,
Oh no . . . my precious likes! Tongue
The following 2 users Like Spaced's post:
isis, Parsons
12-18-2013, 08:48 PM,
Not particularly digging the new Blue hues on the theme.
The following 2 users Like Horuseus's post:
isis, reeay