Anyone having issues accessing the forums
12-19-2013, 02:30 AM,
RE: Anyone having issues accessing the forums
Wow, nothing gets by anyone these days! Dodgy Smile

I was installing the latest version of the forum to try to fix the page counter issue, which is specifically the "Thank you/Like" plug-in not playing nicely in the sandbox. The only "fix" is correcting someone else's plug-in, who seems to have moved on to other projects at the moment. Frustrating!

So I had to manually bring back the CSS values for the our usual theme colors, which is why there was a 10 minute window where the original MyBB theme overrode some of our previous settings.

Thanks for the feedback though, Horseus!

Steve

(12-18-2013, 08:48 PM)Horuseus Wrote:  Not particularly digging the new Blue hues on the theme.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 1 user Likes Bring4th_Steve's post:
Horuseus
12-19-2013, 02:45 AM,
Tobey, sorry for the late reply on this. The message where I wrote about deactivating some of the mod_security rules seems to have done the trick, as no one has reported any more 403 errors, and Google reports that it is not crawling over any errors, either.

So in that respect, the offending rule that would block someone for hitting a 403 error 5 times in 30 minutes (which is the rule's threshold), has been neutered (while becoming a new potential exploit elsewhere in the site. lol)

(12-13-2013, 09:35 AM)βαθμιαίος Wrote:  
(12-12-2013, 05:01 PM)Horuseus Wrote:  I just got my I.P. blocked browsing to βαθμιαίος's link above. Posting from mobile currently.

Steve, is there a way to disconnect the 403 errors from the firewall? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that if someone loads a page that generates a 403 error for whatever reason (%22 or other), then they're automatically blacklisted. Maybe you could leave the 403 errors in place, if that's what the VPS provider wants to prevent SQL injections, etc, but cause it not to be so aggressive about adding IP addresses to the blacklist.
The following 1 user Likes Bring4th_Steve's post:
reeay
12-19-2013, 04:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2013, 04:33 AM by Bring4th_Steve.)
Ok, it appears that I was able to get the "likes" to recount properly again, so everyone should have their proper likes received and likes given in the right-side of each message body.

The plug-in issue did not affect any of the database records where you clicked "Like", and it did not omit any names from showing "who" liked something. In other words, despite there being a temporary display issue with the wrong recount values, it was purely a tallying error with the plug-in, and not anything that affected the actual likes that were counted and recorded into the database.

As for why... Turns out our database is getting so large that the plug-in timed out while combing through the data and updating the total counts for all users.

So the lesson learned? Never touch THAT button again! Cool jk

Please let me know if anything remains a blatant issue with the like system, but for now I'm considering it restored.

Steve

:edited for clarity
12-19-2013, 09:24 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-19-2013, 09:50 AM by Horuseus.)
(12-19-2013, 02:30 AM)Bring4th_Steve Wrote:  So I had to manually bring back the CSS values for the our usual theme colors, which is why there was a 10 minute window where the original MyBB theme overrode some of our previous settings.

Awesome, thanks Steve. Chrome held the old CSS files in Cache so the blue theme stayed for me a little longer.

There does seem to be one value you missed. a:visited is still #026CB1, so the previously visited highlighted links are Blue.

Edit: .pagination a is also on the old values: 1px solid #81A2C4. .bottommenu border is also 1px solid #4874a3. Will advise if I run across any more.

---

Furthermore (And this is more a vanity issue if anything) I feel the forum layout and User Interface would benefit from having the container at a fixed width (1000px, say) rather than the 95% it is currently set at. It allows for a more uniform and consistent format across the various devices. My monitor is set at 1920 x 1080 and so the top header also breaks up with a space in the middle as it's forced to expand. On the iPad it overflows due to the reduced width, and so one standard header image at fixed width corresponding with the fixed container would make things easier.

Of course that's simply my opinion, and others may prefer the current expanded layout useful. For me it makes things easier to read as the eyes travel less across the span of the screen. I'll post some screenshots to show what I mean:

Proposed fixed width main page:

http://www.intelligentinfinity.net/imgup/fixedwidthmain.PNG

Current:

http://www.intelligentinfinity.net/imgup/95widthmain.PNG

Proposed fixed width thread page:

http://www.intelligentinfinity.net/imgup/fixedwidth.PNG

Current:

http://www.intelligentinfinity.net/imgup/95width.PNG
12-19-2013, 03:47 PM,
yeah, +1 on the fixed width. I recently forced the fixed width mode using my own css editor (stylebot), and it makes for much easier reading.

I think there is a setting (or I have seen it in action elsewhere) where it is variable width up until a certain point (say 800 or 900px) and then won't expand any further. This is especially relevant for heavy text based sites (like a forum), as the eye really doesn't like to scan too far horizontally ('its just biology'! lol).

I found this made reading of the Q'uo transcripts a bit difficult at times too, as there was too much text width-wise, in my normal browser screen. I can, of course, pull the tab out as a separate window and resize, but having a max fixed width would be great too Smile
The following 2 users Like Bring4th_Plenum's post:
Horuseus, Parsons
01-20-2014, 11:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2014, 12:19 PM by Bring4th_Jade.)
The forums have been a bit laggy for me lately, and almost every PM I try to send I get the Internal 500 error, though about 90% of the time they go through anyway, because often they get double-sent. Sad Also doing searches I get the 500 error about half of the time.
There is no magic greater than honest distortion toward love.
The following 1 user Likes Bring4th_Jade's post:
isis
01-20-2014, 12:06 PM,
(01-20-2014, 11:57 AM)Jade Wrote:  The forums have been a bit laggy for me lately, and almost every PM I try to send I get the Internal 500 error, though about 90% of the time they go through anyway. Also doing searches I get the 500 error about half of the time.
same here

"I am all that has been, and is, and shall be..."
01-20-2014, 02:15 PM,
Yep, same here.
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2014, 06:22 AM,
(12-16-2013, 06:32 PM)Parsons Wrote:  Just an observation, but it appears as though the Archetypes of Mind, Body, & Spirit section of the forums is getting heavily browsed by some kind of bot. I'm not sure if its just some web crawler/spider such as Google or if it's a malicious bot, but the threads in that section get an inordinate amount of views compared to other threads in other sections. I'm wondering if there is some reason this section gets all those views that can be fixed to reduce the artificial load on the Bring4th servers.

Yes, I was wondering about that too. Also, perhaps it would be beneficial to 'clean' the board sometimes, I can imagine it would also reduce some the artificial load.
01-21-2014, 06:25 AM,
Our Esteemed Webmaster, Mr Steve, has been made aware of this issue, and is investigating as we speak.

in the meantime, I recommend one of the following 2 (TWO) possible options when faced with a situation such as this (or very similiar type situation, as all situations are unique. In Ra's fine words - "the inevitable consequences of codification of response which does not recognize the uniqueness of each and every situation within your experience." And I by no means wish to codify a response at this point in time.

1) Choice 1

[Image: MAqcD2b.png]

or

2) Choice 2 (two)

[Image: DkWdf9z.png]

being a lazy sort of guy, and not wanting to deal with messy banana skins, I would probably go with option 2 right now.

but yeah, server lagginess and timeouts drive me nuts too Big Grin

Plenum

ps it was not the usual suspects of high CPU usage leading to queuing of server requests. So the bottlenecking in the system lies somewhere else.

thanks again for your patience.
The following 1 user Likes Bring4th_Plenum's post:
Parsons
11-03-2014, 12:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014, 12:15 PM by isis.)
wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@bring4th.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

[Image: QTzYhbf8oUc.jpg]

The following 1 user Likes isis's post:
Parsons
11-03-2014, 03:27 PM,
Yeah, I get something like this a few times a month. Either that or it just takes like 2 minutes to load. Usually happens within a time period of less than an hour.

Kind of annoying, but I've seen it much worse.
-==-
11-03-2014, 04:12 PM,
Happening constantly for me with the Internal Errors every time I go to private messages.
11-04-2014, 09:21 AM,
(11-03-2014, 04:12 PM)Unbound Wrote:  Happening constantly for me with the Internal Errors every time I go to private messages.

yes, I've been getting that as well.

Our illustrious webmaster, Bring4th_Steve, has been made aware of the issue, and he believes it to be a DNS issue, which is not directly related to the server, but is associated with the hosting service provider.

Please keep lodging your complaints/experiences, and it will serve as an up-to-date log so that perhaps things can be cross-correlated.

I can honestly say that Mr Steve LOVES feedback, and that is no sarcasm there. So please post away with screenshots, times, certain pages, etc etc. You never know when something connects the final dots when it comes to IT issues.

thanks again for your patience; I know it frustrates the hell out of me when I can't load a thread or a PM where I know there is a new post/message.

cheers guys.

Plenum
11-04-2014, 10:23 AM,
The site has been slow for maybe the past two and a half months. If it's having trouble loading, stop your browser and reload..the page will then load properly most of the time.
The following 1 user Likes Icaro's post:
isis
11-04-2014, 10:47 AM,
recently, when i (y) a post, the "loading. please wait.." box doesn't go away unless i reload the page

11-04-2014, 12:20 PM,
[deleted]
11-04-2014, 01:00 PM,
(11-04-2014, 12:20 PM)michael430 Wrote:  Bring4th is the only website that does not load when I am on my work wifi. I have to turn wifi off and use my LTE connection.

that is most likely a whitelist/blacklist issue Michael430. If you could PM me your work wifi IP Address, I can get Steve to add it to the whitelist.

Most likely, something triggered one of the security protocols from your work IP Address, and it got added to the blacklist. Steve had to increase the sensitivity of the security protocols because the site had been hacked when the security protocols had been more lax. It's probably overbalanced into being overly aggressive at this point, but the host provider has said these are the current terms.

cheers mate.
11-04-2014, 02:42 PM,
[deleted]
11-04-2014, 03:24 PM,
it makes me sad when I think the overzelous anti-spam might be banning newbies
The following 2 users Like Spaced's post:
isis, Parsons
11-04-2014, 07:51 PM,
@Michael and Plenum, that could be his workplace blocking the website itself. I'm not saying don't look into it, I'm just saying it's possible.
-==-
11-05-2014, 11:42 AM,
(11-04-2014, 09:21 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote:  I can honestly say that Mr Steve LOVES feedback, and that is no sarcasm there. So please post away with screenshots, times, certain pages, etc etc.

[Image: aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.png]

The following 1 user Likes isis's post:
Bring4th_Steve
11-08-2014, 09:56 AM,
[deleted]
11-14-2014, 01:46 AM,
I'm sure everyone noticed, but the forums were down most of the day. It was throwing up MyBB errors for all sections of the forums.

[Image: Screenshot_2014-11-13-22-35-14.png]
-==-
11-14-2014, 02:16 AM,
Thanks, I was having slight issues but I am now going through fast and clear.

LL.
11-14-2014, 03:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-14-2014, 03:05 AM by Bring4th_Steve.)
Thanks for your patience today, everyone. Yes, there was a significant outage on November 13th as I worked with the web host to improve the performance of a few components on Bring4th, while also dealing with some system and data failures along the way.

For those who are interested in the technical recap, we:

1. Changed to a faster PHP version (DSO version enabled)
2. Added APC (Alternative PHP Caching) to reduce processor load and page render times by running common pages from memory
3. Installed mod_ruid2 "...is a suexec module for apache which takes advantage of POSIX.1e capabilities to increase performance."
4. Corrected some database tables that were not performing properly, causing extra processing delays

So with all those great things added, it was discovered that there were some messy database tables when a "check tables" operation was performed. In trying to repair these tables, other data broke in a chain reaction during the normal course of the database doing its job. Ultimately, we had to restore our most recent version of our tables, and then running a different kind of repair that the Web Host keeps in its arsenal.

Once the database was cleaned up and fixed, the rest of the site came back to life, and blazingly fast!

My hope is that this performance gain will remain, and I'll work to include these features in the upcoming llresearch.org site, which will include the Bring4th forums, as well.

I can't thank you guys enough for your patience, I know it can be frustrating to have to deal with outages from time to time, but I'm hoping these recent changes will help eliminate the sluggishness and the "500 Internal Error" messages that some have been receiving.

Moving from 100% managed hosting to our own server has been quite an experience, as we have to work to resolve our own performance issues, security breaches, and anything else that can go wrong with the system. Thankfully, we have two good hosts who are able to assist us through such issues.

Now back to developing the other site! Take care...
Steve
The following 9 users Like Bring4th_Steve's post:
Ankh, Bring4th_Jade, Icaro, isis, kycahi, Matt1, Parsons, Sabou, sunnysideup
11-14-2014, 06:54 AM,
Steve's webmastery never fails to amaze me. Thanks for all you do Steve.

[Image: dhMeAzK.gif]
The following 7 users Like Bring4th_Austin's post:
Ankh, Bring4th_Jade, isis, kycahi, Parsons, Sabou, sunnysideup
11-14-2014, 09:44 AM,
The forum is faster than it has ever been. Thanks Steve!
The following 4 users Like Icaro's post:
Ankh, isis, Parsons, Sabou
11-14-2014, 11:49 AM,
Lightning fast! Awesome! Thanks Steve for all your hard work!!!!!
There is no magic greater than honest distortion toward love.
The following 2 users Like Bring4th_Jade's post:
Ankh, Sabou
11-14-2014, 11:49 AM,
Thanks. It works spiffy now. Kudos to you.

There is an anthro somewhere who needs me and I need them.
The following 2 users Like IndigoGeminiWolf's post:
Ankh, Sabou