Suggestion
04-17-2014, 02:56 AM,
Suggestion
No idea if there's any kind of policy for new mods but I thought I'd just throw it out there, as a suggestion. I'd like to nominate Reeay, Fang & Tanner as additional mods to the already existing team. Because they/you have great social skills, they're engaging, caring and funny. The forums needs a little more attention in term of 'organizing', I believe. Plus, a diverse team of mods would be beneficial for the overall balance of the board. I don't know if any of you are up for it but it would be awesome. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2014, 09:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM by isis.)
RE: Suggestion
[Image: 680.gif]
good luck w/ that

i nominate zenmaster

"Look if you want to take that route I may as well be hitting myself with a hammer." ~Fang

"I am all that has been, and is, and shall be..."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-17-2014, 10:06 AM,
I'd rather have less moderation personally.
The following 1 user Likes Spaced's post:
isis
04-17-2014, 10:21 AM,
I agree with less is better.
The following 1 user Likes Icaro's post:
isis
04-17-2014, 10:29 AM,
No, moderation in moderation is better. Trust me.
04-17-2014, 10:38 AM,
what makes u believe the forum needs a little more attention in term of 'organizing'? what makes u think there isn't already a diverse team of mods?

the only thing that bothers me about the mods is that they refuse to remove a post when it says nothing other than "removed" or "redacted" or "deleted" or w/e. they enjoy the clutter or something

04-17-2014, 10:54 AM,
Observing the forum a couple of months. Another suggestion would be enabling members to delete their own posts.
The following 2 users Like Melissa's post:
Horuseus, Spaced
04-17-2014, 10:58 AM,
(04-17-2014, 10:38 AM)isis Wrote:  what makes u believe the forum needs a little more attention in term of 'organizing'? what makes u think there isn't already a diverse team of mods?

the only thing that bothers me about the mods is that they refuse to remove a post when it says nothing other than "removed" or "redacted" or "deleted" or w/e. they enjoy the clutter or something

That bothers you? You'd hate to see my car or house then. You may have a heart attack lol
The following 1 user Likes Jeremy's post:
Ankh
04-17-2014, 11:06 AM,
(04-17-2014, 10:29 AM)Melissa Wrote:  No, moderation in moderation is better. Trust me.

I think the more you moderate, the more you interfere with catalyst.

In one hand you have a teaching style that forgoes a light touch which we all do at times, constantly providing feedback that is ignored, and in the other, there is the catalyst of attempting to see what is offered, while learning to see the silliness of the battle within and take things with a grain of salt.
The following 1 user Likes Icaro's post:
Ankh
04-17-2014, 11:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 11:51 AM by Horuseus.)
(04-17-2014, 10:54 AM)Melissa Wrote:  Observing the forum a couple of months. Another suggestion would be enabling members to delete their own posts.

Yeah this one is long overdue. We supposedly have the functionality right now (Full edit, then delete checkbox at top) yet do not have the permission to do so.

Re Mods, I think we have more than enough personally.

Re Organising, if you're referring to the the subforum categories, I agree. It's pretty much an incoherent mess at the moment where categories overlap.

Edit: Also not a fan of multiple posts in a set amount of time not appearing as their own post, but rather edited into an existed one separated by the line (hr) tag.
04-17-2014, 12:04 PM,
(04-17-2014, 10:58 AM)Jeremy Wrote:  That bothers you? You'd hate to see my car or house then. You may have a heart attack lol

Can't you post a picture of it in the inevitable picture thread? Would love to see it! Big Grin
04-17-2014, 12:09 PM,
(04-17-2014, 12:04 PM)Ankh Wrote:  
(04-17-2014, 10:58 AM)Jeremy Wrote:  That bothers you? You'd hate to see my car or house then. You may have a heart attack lol

Can't you post a picture of it in the inevitable picture thread? Would love to see it! Big Grin

Hahaha no way! It's not as bad as a hobo's car but it's full of beach sand and various wrappers from snacking on the run.

My house isn't as bad but my daughters playroom is quite the disaster right now
Ankh
04-17-2014, 12:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM by isis.)
(04-17-2014, 12:09 PM)Jeremy Wrote:  

Hahaha no way! It's not as bad as a hobo's car but it's full of beach sand and various wrappers from snacking on the run.

:O lana tried to give me a heart attack!

(04-17-2014, 11:50 AM)Horuseus Wrote:  
(04-17-2014, 10:54 AM)Melissa Wrote:  Observing the forum a couple of months. Another suggestion would be enabling members to delete their own posts.

Yeah this one is long overdue. We supposedly have the functionality right now (Full edit, then delete checkbox at top) yet do not have the permission to do so.

i'm also not a fan of multiple posts in a set amount of time not appearing as their own post

04-17-2014, 12:40 PM,
Do we really need more than a couple of mods when we have less than about 20 regular posters?

The following 1 user Likes Matt1's post:
isis
04-17-2014, 01:26 PM,
(04-17-2014, 12:39 PM)isis Wrote:  i tried to get them to remove a post of mine that said only "removed" & they would not do it for anything. i even tried to get Carla to make them do it lol & that didn't work...i even made it say something rude then reported it & that didn't work either...so yeah i seriously doubt we'll be getting the feature to officially delete our own posts anytime soon...& i'd really like to kno why we can't have this feature...

I'm pretty sure this was discussed before actually, with the consensus being there was a clear configuration error or similar and that we 'should' be able to remove posts (Might have been Steve or GLB), but I can't find that specific thread for the life of me right now. Weird that you got otherwise though. Maybe not a permanent feature, but certainly within a set period (60 minutes) I would have thought.
04-17-2014, 02:14 PM,
I thought we weren't allowed to delete posts because members have abused it in the past. Something like creating an inflammatory thread and getting a bunch of replies, then deleting the first post so the thread no longer makes any sense. I could be remembering incorrectly.
-==-
04-17-2014, 03:36 PM,
oh yeah, just remembered that plenum wrote:

"at present, to delete messages that have been <redacted> is regarded by the mods as having too great a power..."

04-17-2014, 03:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM by Jeremy.)
(04-17-2014, 12:39 PM)isis Wrote:  

I think I missed something here lol
Ankh
04-17-2014, 03:51 PM,
(04-17-2014, 03:39 PM)Jeremy Wrote:  
(04-17-2014, 12:39 PM)isis Wrote:  

I think I missed something here ?
u were right that i'd hate to see your car or house & that it may give me a heart attack

pay some1 to clean for u? Big Grin

04-17-2014, 04:54 PM,
(04-17-2014, 11:06 AM)Icaro Wrote:  
(04-17-2014, 10:29 AM)Melissa Wrote:  No, moderation in moderation is better. Trust me.

I think the more you moderate, the more you interfere with catalyst.

In one hand you have a teaching style that forgoes a light touch which we all do at times, constantly providing feedback that is ignored, and in the other, there is the catalyst of attempting to see what is offered, while learning to see the silliness of the battle within and take things with a grain of salt.

For me it's not about less or more but about the quality, consistency and dynamics of moderation. which is always of influence on a forum. When I read all the posts here in this thread it -again- only confirms that those aspects might need a little polishing.

Assumptions, assumptions.
The following 1 user Likes Melissa's post:
isis
04-17-2014, 06:35 PM,
Well, I was going to respectfully decline but after seeing the shape of this thread....

Jokes aside folks the decision of who moderates (and how the moderation is carried out on) a L/L Research site is the decision of L/L Research. I appreciate the sentiment Melissa but I am from a starkly different background (position) to most folk here so I doubt people would enjoy my moderation anyway.
04-17-2014, 07:43 PM,
You can moderate me anytime Fang Wink
The following 1 user Likes Raz's post:
sunnysideup
04-17-2014, 08:06 PM,
(04-17-2014, 04:54 PM)Melissa Wrote:  This is not acceptable. If you request for a post to be removed, it should be removed. But if multiple people agree on the feature it should be 'permitted'.
gary told me i had removed it by making it say nothing but "removed" but i say that's clutter

& plenum says "to delete messages that have been <redacted> is regarded by the mods as having too great a power..." (which really confuses me)

04-17-2014, 08:37 PM,
Hi isis,

I take responsibility for not having explained that as clearly as I could have in the PM I sent you.

I should have elaborated further on the situations in which being able to delete posts as a user could create issues with threads and continuity.

The example that Parsons gave is the most obvious one. That is, if a thread is initiated by a user, and then the OP deletes their post, then it would give the false impression that the person who posted second had started that thread.

One is well within one's rights to redact the contents of their message, and that ability is available at any time. But the stub that is left behind is a record of continuity in the discussion; otherwise a 'swiss-cheese' type effect would be created within threads where posts were deleted.

I also stressed in my PM to you that for the purposes of group learning/discussion, that it is really really helpful to resist the urge to redact one's posts, once they have been made public. One is free to change one's mind (especially if you feel that you might have overstepped the mark), but for the purposes of interaction, it is a more honest approach (in my view) to let your words stand, and update your viewpoint either in an edit or later on in the thread. The reason being that other users have taken the time to read your original post, think on it, and then post replies to it - with quotes included or not. Out of respect for others having spent time reading your original words, and giving consideration to them, the discussion is best facilitated by having an intact record of the events as they happened.

But as I said, that responsibility of editing, redacting, or re-representation of one's post is entirely within the hands of the end-user.

Plenum
The following 2 users Like Bring4th_Plenum's post:
Parsons, Steppingfeet
04-17-2014, 09:39 PM,
(04-17-2014, 02:56 AM)Melissa Wrote:  No idea if there's any kind of policy for new mods but I thought I'd just throw it out there, as a suggestion. I'd like to nominate Reeay, Fang & Tanner as additional mods to the already existing team. Because they/you have great social skills, they're engaging, caring and funny. The forums needs a little more attention in term of 'organizing', I believe. Plus, a diverse team of mods would be beneficial for the overall balance of the board. I don't know if any of you are up for it but it would be awesome. Wink

I appreciate your appreciation aha Admittedly I have no idea what my role would be as a mod, although I have, honestly, previously considered offering/asking about becoming one but I am not yet sure that there is any function to that aha I will keep the thought in mind though, should they ever decide to approach me on the matter.

Personally, I think Plenum helped to balance out the mod-team a lot.
The following 1 user Likes Unbound's post:
Parsons
04-18-2014, 05:36 AM,
Fang & Tanner (&Reeay) you do realize that it wasn't just meant as a nice gesture of sorts? I'm quite serious about it; considering the forums current condition, and I wouldn't go around naming people at random. Plus, the timing is perfect, for each of you; based on how I've experienced you here. With the three of you joining the current mods it could actually work as a team, which would result in generating a glorious 'creative' impulse. As a member I feel part of L\L research too, we all are, imo. But there doesn't seem much interest in the forum, that's why it's especially important that members have a vote in who becomes a mod. And why self-moderation is also required. Well, I could go on and on about it but I hope you'll think about it because I'm quite sure it'll work wonders.
04-18-2014, 06:23 AM,
I do understand that you are serious, that's why I'm appreciative but the thing is, I really have no desire to be officially affiliated with L/L Research as of now, perhaps in future.

I am quite young compared to the majority here, and I am actually very involved in the day to day life of getting by (contrary to the images of me just reading books and having no practical implementation of my philosophy that many seem to enjoy projecting upon me) and just really don't have enough time even if I or L/L Research wanted me to. Also, I have recently run into some very hard times and will probably not be here for a while, duty calls I guess.

And finally, I think it's important we preserve the distinction between the moderating team and the star posters wouldn't you say? Wink
The following 1 user Likes Fang's post:
Parsons
04-18-2014, 06:46 AM,
lol, ok got it. Wink I thoroughly enjoy your perspective fang but I understand your timetable and priorities, of course. Best wishes to you and I hope you'll be sailing in smooth waters soon.
04-18-2014, 10:43 AM,
(04-17-2014, 08:37 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote:  Hi isis,

I take responsibility for not having explained that as clearly as I could have in the PM I sent you.

I should have elaborated further on the situations in which being able to delete posts as a user could create issues with threads and continuity.

The example that Parsons gave is the most obvious one. That is, if a thread is initiated by a user, and then the OP deletes their post, then it would give the false impression that the person who posted second had started that thread.

One is well within one's rights to redact the contents of their message, and that ability is available at any time. But the stub that is left behind is a record of continuity in the discussion; otherwise a 'swiss-cheese' type effect would be created within threads where posts were deleted.

I also stressed in my PM to you that for the purposes of group learning/discussion, that it is really really helpful to resist the urge to redact one's posts, once they have been made public. One is free to change one's mind (especially if you feel that you might have overstepped the mark), but for the purposes of interaction, it is a more honest approach (in my view) to let your words stand, and update your viewpoint either in an edit or later on in the thread. The reason being that other users have taken the time to read your original post, think on it, and then post replies to it - with quotes included or not. Out of respect for others having spent time reading your original words, and giving consideration to them, the discussion is best facilitated by having an intact record of the events as they happened.

But as I said, that responsibility of editing, redacting, or re-representation of one's post is entirely within the hands of the end-user.

Plenum
i completely understand how "being able to delete posts as a user could create issues with threads and continuity" but it seems to me if some1 wants 1 of their redacted posts officially removed (1 that isn't at the beginning of a thread) & if doing so wouldn't leave a swiss cheese hole then y not? this is the only thing i don't get

04-18-2014, 11:06 AM,
Not sure if it's even possible to remove a 'first post' without deleting the whole thread? And I'd like to decide for myself whether or not I'd like to remove a post. If it's been quoted by someone it's not too complicated to ask a member if that could be removed aswell. The feature is visible it's just not working lol.