Bring4th

Full Version: Trancendental Meditation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been meditating on my own (and sometimes in groups) for around 5 months now. It has been going well, though I think I can always improve. I'm reading a little about trancendental meditation, though I knnow so little about it.

Would others here recommend going to a center that teaches this for self development? I've also read a bit on the benefits of Tai Chi and Yoga, and such. I don't want to spread myself thin by doing too much.

My main goal is in helping with the ascension through holding and raising vibration, to be come a clear channel for Source Energy, ET's or other spiritual beings. Not necessarily to channel professionally, but get guidance I can give on a smaller scale.

Of course, balance of chakras and energies is something I tend to go for, though I feel quite balanced already.

Can it make a big difference studying TM under the guidance of a school or practitioner?
Quote:The Transcendental Meditation, or TM technique, is a form of mantra meditation introduced in India in 1955 by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (1917–2008). Taught in a standardized, seven-step course over 4 days by certified teachers for ~$1,500 USD in the United States, it involves the use of a sound or mantra and is practiced for 15–20 minutes twice per day, while sitting comfortably with closed eyes

For that kind of cost (2 to 2 hours 20 minutes... for $1500) I think I would skip it and just keep meditating.

Just by being here you help with the harvest. By intending to be service to others, you raise your vibration even further. Being a perfect meditator is not required.
(03-08-2010, 02:36 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]It has been going well, though I think I can always improve. I'm reading a little about trancendental meditation, though I knnow so little about it.

Would others here recommend going to a center that teaches this for self development?

(03-08-2010, 04:00 PM)Peregrinus Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The Transcendental Meditation, or TM technique, is a form of mantra meditation introduced in India in 1955 by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (1917–2008). Taught in a standardized, seven-step course over 4 days by certified teachers for ~$1,500 USD in the United States, it involves the use of a sound or mantra and is practiced for 15–20 minutes twice per day, while sitting comfortably with closed eyes

For that kind of cost (2 to 2 hours 20 minutes... for $1500) I think I would skip it and just keep meditating.

Hi Gemini,

I don't have any direct experience with TM, but I would like to share something that I believe is quite relevant. This is my experience with a group that I believe grew directly out of the TM movement.

8 or so years ago, I got interested in a group called "The Ishayas" founded by a teacher named "MSI". They offered a series of meditation techniques that they called "Ascending". The technique was "secret" and you could not learn it from a book. You had to learn it from a trained Teacher (Ishaya Monk) and you learned it in a weekend class called a "First Sphere" course, for which you had to make a $200 donation. There were advanced courses with more Ascension meditations with ever increasing cost. Teacher training got quite exorbitant. The group had some odd mythology involving a secret order of monks that had protected the techniques since the time of Jesus. Despite that pseudo-Christian past, there was alot of pseudo-Hindu concepts in the mix, notably multiple references to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. They taught that by using the meditations enough you could achieve enlightenment eventually.

At any rate, after reading some of their books I signed up for one of these classes and attended two days of training hosted at someone's house a few hours drive from where I lived at the time. The meditation technique turned out to be 4 very simple mantras that they called "Ascension Attitudes". Each level had 4 more, but I only officially learned the first level. All you had to do was sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes, and mentally repeat this line:

Praise * for my life.
(Substitute * for the Creator, Jesus, Higher Consciousness, the Universe, whatever you want that is personally meaningful).

...After you say it mentally, you try to let your mind go blank, thinking of nothing else but quietly listening to the mantra echo through your mind. If you find your thoughts have strayed to any other topic, you simply repeat the Attitude again with no judgment.

After you have done this for a while, you move on to the next Mantra:

Thank * for my body-world

Do this for a while and move on to the third:

* loves me.

Finally, you use the "power Attitude" to bring it all together:

Om Compassion

...And that's it! Simple technique, just repeat, let it flow through your mind trying to go blank, and then repeat again. The idea is to experience pure consciousness in the realm of "no thought".

To be perfectly honest, I thought this was a decent meditation technique. By using positive phrases there was nothing for your mind to rebel against (ie you're not saying I have no problems, life is perfect, etc). It is also better than totally meaningless phrases from another language that mean nothing to you. I now prefer to meditate without any mantra inside my head, but at the time it was useful.

However, and I stress that this is ONLY my opinion and perception (check out anything that interests you for yourself), I looked around that weekend and my intuition and logic told me that these guys were a cult. Not a terribly damaging one unless you became a teacher, but a cult nonetheless. I decided to break my association with them after that weekend. I was grateful for the meditation technique and found it useful but felt continuing to study with them would drain me of money and begin to brainwash me and so I moved on to other things.

Well, I got curious about all this about a week later and did some internet research. There were people on various forums saying that the Ishayas had ruined their lives and others that just thought it was a mild fraud. I found copies of all the Attitudes and descriptions of the methods Teachers are indoctrinated, "brainwashed", and divorced from their families and material possessions. All opinions, of course, but some quite strong.

It turns out that MSI was actually a Transcendental Meditation ™ teacher for many years before "founding" the Ishayas! He had written some spiritual sci-fi novels that didn't do very well and he later took those novels, expanded upon them to create a mythology and adapted TM techniques for his own use and started this movement.

That led me to research TM and I found that TM was basically the same thing except:

A) They charge much more money for the beginning techniques
B) They do not have a mythology
C) They use meaningless word mantras derived from Sanskrit instead of short English phrases
D) TM suggests practicing the technique twice a day for 20 minutes instead of "as much possible".

They claim that only these special words will work and not just any words

Other than that, everything seemed about the same to me from what I could find by researching the issue. My ultimate conclusion was that a TM teacher had just taken the parts he liked, modified them somewhat and started a religion with it.

Here is a (admittedly anti-TM) site that reveals the secret mantras and TM techniques:

http://minet.org/mantras.html

There are some claims out there that advanced TM techniques can bestow godlike powers, as well.

In fairness, here is an interview with the TM founder by Larry King. I watched it and he honestly doesn't seem to radiate evil or anything obviously STS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0icNZnUxYo0

You can also read tm.org, the official site -- note the multiple references to "You can't learn it in a book".

I sincerely apologize to anyone who may be involved with TM or the Ishayas if I have offended. If what I wrote does not resonate, then please discard it. I am offering only my own opinions on the topic. I am sure that some people have found TM/Ascension very useful and helpful and were glad to pay the $1500/$200 cost and I don't mean to denigrate them in any way whatsoever.

Gemini, I suggest you thoroughly research TM before you invest that much money in learning their techniques. There are many positive things written about TM on the internet as well as many negative, and I think it would be helpful to sift through a variety of opinions on the topic.

One last item bears mentioning. In my own path, I have always been very skeptical of anyone charging money for spiritual information. It has always seemed to me that truly spiritual people wish to freely share what they have, not sell it for material gain. In fairness, there are expenses even for spiritual groups and the bills must be paid, but nevertheless my heart of hearts tells me spirituality should be inherently free.

One of the things that helped me get over my aversion to channeled material and more fully accept the Law of One was that L/L Research gives away free PDF versions of all of the Ra material. I have purchased a dozen books from L/L and am happy to support them, but I doubt I would have done so were the Ra books not free.

Again, this is only an observation from my own walk and I would not discourage you from exploring TM if it calls to you. As I said, the Ishayas provided me something of value even though I did not fully embrace their path. Explore anything and everything that calls to your heart, but please do so with discernment.

love to all
(03-08-2010, 02:36 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Can it make a big difference studying TM under the guidance of a school or practitioner?

I have not done TM but my understanding is that you could do it yourself, once you know the technique. The technique is very simple.

Constant repetition of any 'mantra' or any word focuses the energy on that act. That is shown to have some calming effect as the chattering mind has now a toy to play with and is already engaged. This calming effect may lead to lower blood pressure, less stress etc.

When my mind is really disturbed I find repeating any simple mantra helps me focus. After that I can transition to any other technique like focusing on the breath or just simply placing my attention on third eye or heart.
"Well, I got curious about all this about a week later and did some internet research. There were people on various forums saying that the Ishayas had ruined their lives and others that just thought it was a mild fraud. I found copies of all the Attitudes and descriptions of the methods Teachers are indoctrinated, "brainwashed", and divorced from their families and material possessions. All opinions, of course, but some quite strong."

I am also doing some research into the Ishayas. You mentioned above that you "found copies of all the Attitudes and descriptions of the methods Teachers are indoctrinated", but I cannot find them. Do you have any sources that you would share with me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Cyan

Saw the guru at a long seminar in my country, listened to him and his answers, used my 3rd eye and crown and 8th to their maximum while sober and at the height of my spritual career. Was unimpressed.

Was more impressed by the what the bleep guy standing next to him, even if he was only barely able to contain his giggy fairy nature. And I mean that in the wings and frollicing around forests, and not in the strolling bars for rear end kind.

Dude was so clearly a fairy it was un-freaking-beliavable. Also. TM guy reminded me of a giant lizard smacking his lips and his shadow even looked liked it. Remarked about it to several friends at that time.

Remarked as well at that time that at least Me, one of my spiritual friends at that time and a great variety of people I was aware of an in contact with (still know they are here but dont maintain spiritual contact with them at this time) would have been better teachers than that person. Quite easily too, he had trouble maintaining form on stage and almost slipped out of his "lizard suit" in his shadow interplay several times during the seminar thing. I Would caution against going to any events with him. But thats just my discernment of him. I hope that is allowed? I'll gladly make my dislike for his kind (people who tell single motehrs that spending 8000 dollars on a class is a good thing) known and on record so we can all move along.