Bring4th

Full Version: retirement and money
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
do any of you guys think about retirement, and if you'll have enough money?

Mine is still 30 years off, but I'm not seeing a lot of funds in the super account.

not a major stressor, but still something for me to ponder over.

and yeah, before you ask, we do have a pension here in Australia. And given my simple lifestyle, I could probably make that work. But the thing is, I don't have my own property (and don't ever plan on buying one), and so renting will be my lifestyle till I'm 6 feet under. Or maybe 7 feet. I'd like to be seven feet under for some reason Smile
Once I pay off my mortgage my cost of living will go down. I'll be able to live on much less. I'm about to refinance my mortgage to a lower payment, but it will restart it to a 30-year term. I will probably accelerate payments once I pay off other debts. At least I don't have a truck payment.
I'm also going to be making a legal will in two weeks time as part of this re-assessment of my future.

I've realised how much I had not wanted to look at the future because of the fear coloring that attitude. And then that ties into a level of mistrust about our society and how thing might unfold.

deep layers BigSmile
(11-16-2014, 08:08 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]do any of you guys think about retirement, and if you'll have enough money?

All the time, friend, all the time! In fact, it has almost turned into an unhealthy obsession that threatens my most intimate relationships, as well.

The attitude of want and the misery that can result from lack of resources is something very difficult to deal with, given the twisting of the wheel of fortune.

May be, just may be, earth had not discovered the concept of money....
This made for extremely sad reading and may be apropos to this thread --

The grandmothers who sell sex
I have nothing at the moment but am sure to be rich soon.
(11-28-2014, 07:36 AM)Ashim Wrote: [ -> ]I have nothing at the moment but am sure to be rich soon.

lottery ticket?

shares in Tesla Motors?

- -

I don't even want to click on that link Confused : d
(11-28-2014, 08:19 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]I don't even want to click on that link Confused : d

Sure, Plenum. I understand.
I never thought about it because I'm more entrepreneurial. (Which, it must be said, gets entrepreneurs into trouble all the time with big ups and downs possible.) As long as you think of existence as inherent in possibilities, there is no need to plan for a phantom future. On the other hand, money may be viewed as energy. So there is a balance to be considered. I don't recommend wasting money/energy and just spending it all indiscriminately. A flow of going out and coming in freely without attachment is my mindset on it. A cushion is good as well. Saved energy so to speak.

But if one likes the stability of having a job, then it might be advisable to have a job with some plans for retirement, since this trajectory is more like a collapsed particle with one outcome. The entrepreneurial mindset is like the wave function, where all outcomes are possible. For instance, retirement has no reality for me. I can't imagine stopping "work" which in my life is not about a 9-5 job I do because I have to—it's more an expression of what I can create. I don't mean to make it sound romantic though, it's not easy and requires risk-taking. But freedom means everything to me, so I continue to "do my own thing" no matter how difficult.
My current career gives us a 401k, but I borrowed against it and lost all the money I had borrowed, which I had converted to silver but my mom found the silver and cashed it all in and spent it all except for a few pieces.
I am 33 and retiring sorts of.

I was tired of the rat race, and I quit the city life, but still kept a job in countryside in a community environment, now I am seeking to be jobless and in the countryside. people might think I am crazy.

I absolutely want to get away from money motivations. I am tired of business, or at least working for it. Sorry, but I see the whole money thing as self-service. A little bit too much, and then you're a slave into the activity that brings you the money. It makes you STS. So, I focus more in just having a way of meeting my needs without struggle, by planting trees for example and creating rain harvest ponds. Yeah, it is still STS.

So I have began a tiny bit of self enterpreneur activity now, which will allow to make me some money, but my plan is just for 2-3 years, as I get a place to feed myself, and learn how to live without money. So I am retiring just around now, and using a bit of self-employed income just to learn how to live moneyless, and hopefully giving to others without asking anything in return. Which is my ideal STO.
You sound like a shaman I know who relies on donations from people whom she teaches. She is very wise.
Just hop over to Bali, Plenum :¬)

I spent the last month in WA, then Bali, and both are wonderful. Bali is incredibly cheap.

irpsip - earning money from doing what you love, as I do, is an opportunity for STO in a 'business' sense. They key is to genuinely prioritise the people you serve over monetary gain.
Bali is definitely a very popular tourist spot for us Aussies!

of course, it's wonderfully nice if one can work out of one's laptop too BigSmile
(12-07-2014, 12:16 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]Bali is definitely a very popular tourist spot for us Aussies!

of course, it's wonderfully nice if one can work out of one's laptop too BigSmile

Indeed! :¬)