Bring4th

Full Version: Service Vs. Servitude
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’ve been doing a critical evaluation of a certain period of my life. This period begins about six years ago, when I was first introduced to what I will generalize as “New Age thinking”, and ends about a year ago, when I became so disgusted with my current mode of thought that I abandoned it to become a Satanist (true story). I feel I have now come full circle, returning to many of the beliefs I originally held, yet from an entirely different perspective. My analysis is focused paticularly on the stumbling blocks that caused me to discard any attempt to be positive in spite of an ultimate desire to serve. Where were the largest issues, and are they issues that effect anyone else?

This post is about what I would define as one of the largest struggles I have faced while “following the positive path”. That struggle is finding oneself trapped, out of a sense of compulsion, in activities one does not enjoy. This, I feel, comes from a caricatured vision of what service entails- an arbitrary expectation we set for ourselves without understanding the internal process taking place beneath the outer actions.

In the past, when I thought of “service to others”, things like volunteering in soup kitchens, fundraising to bring water to children in Africa or giving all of my money to charity came to mind. I would see other people doing these things and feel intense guilt that I had not done something similar, and even those things didn’t seem like enough. If I wasn’t saving the world in some major and dramatic way, I was a failure. Several times I extended myself well beyond my means in an attempt to “be of greater service”, and only wound up feeling exhausted and bitter at the end of it, even putting myself in the hospital on one occasion.

A defining moment for me was finally acknowledging that I didn’t partake in these sort of activities because I have no interest in them. I appreciate the individuals who do. I am very grateful they have taken it upon themselves to organize the charitable frontier for the rest of us, but I have no real desire to do their work. My first reaction to this discovery was “I must not like serving others, then”, and a deep study of self-service then ensued.

This study raised an appreciation within me of who I truly am, where my talents lie, and the importance of fulfilling my own desires alongside and even through my charitable efforts. Inner happiness acts as a clearing agent, purifying and crystallizing the mind’s focus. When you go into a task that makes you happy and is aligned with your deepest internal desires, your output is magnified a thousand times. Smaller actions create larger impacts. You find yourself changing the world without even trying to, and instead of a necessary drudgery, the act of serving becomes a mode of self-expression, your very essence becoming a gift to humanity.

Now, not every act of service I engage in is convenient or interesting to me. Sometimes I come across a hungry person who needs to be fed, or a friend down on their luck who needs someone to talk to, or a cause I feel my five dollars could really help in spite of my desire to hold onto my money. However, when I feed a hungry person, I do not allow myself to be consumed by the thought of how many people are starving in the world and start feeling guilty because I haven’t fed them all. My focus remains in the areas where I feel I am most able to contribute (though I bless the people who have the stamina and inner resources to make those huge issues their focus).

My point is that sacrificing all of one’s time and energy to help others in a stereotyped format might seem like a noble action, but unless it is really where your joy is found, all it does is build up inner blockages that, if left unchecked, can ultimately cause burn out and a complete abandonment of the original intent, or, in some extreme cases, a level of martyrdom that renders the self unable to function at all, cutting off future opportunities. Those who succeed in huge charity projects usually do so because they are doing what they love, not because they feel like they *need* to do it.

The more I got to know myself, the more I realized how many times I have served others without even realizing it, and how many more opportunities I had missed because of how narrow my definition of service was. In many cases I’ve seen the impact of small, seemingly insignificant acts years later, and realized I created a profound change in someone or something without even trying to, because I was simply being myself when it happened. THIS is the key- know your Self, and it is impossible to look past how the very act of *being* is a service in itself. Becoming more of who you are is your destiny as a living thing- it is the process that drives creation itself, and taking the time to witness the Self you are becoming is not a waste of time, it is imperative in reaching the level of inner purity that allows the deepest acts of love and compassion to be ushered into the world.

Pay attention to the things that you love- the things you find genuine enjoyment in, and find a way to bring them into your desire to serve. In my case, this involved studying how I could use my writing and art- the things I enjoy most in life- to teach others in unconventional ways. Not only did I find myself succeeding in the act of teaching, but my art and writing became better in the process, fueling the desire to continue my work. I used to think “drawing pictures can’t change the world”, yet now that change unfolds before my very eyes, not only in those my art inspires, but in the way the art of others inspires me to keep rising to higher creations.

Many see their talents as worthless simply because they don’t seem to have value in the world. I say that every part of yourself has value, and finding out how is part of making that magical snake coil up your spine. The process of self-discovery is not just a mechanical function, it is a sacred and magical act. In several conversations I had with Carla Rueckert I heard her say “there is no difference between the outer and the inner work,” and it never really made any sense to me, yet now, after spending a year entirely devoted to my own internal processes, I realize it is a great hidden truth- a profound secret that would redefine many a world view if it were truly brought to light.

Service should not be equivalent to slavery. If you find yourself entering acts of service with a sense of dread, resentment or compulsion, it may be time to look in new directions. If you feel guilt for not doing enough, you may need a deeper understanding of your own capabilities. Taking the time to figure out where you shine brightest IS a charitable act, for instead of giving food or money or another resource that will ultimately expire, you are giving your very Self, the essence of your being, to the world around you, permanently raising the microcosm of the universe that is you to a higher state of function.

Of course, I do not mean to say there is no value in performing physical acts of service, because there certainly is. If the inner is not manifesting in the outer in some way, then crystallization has likely not taken place. I’m simply saying that one form of service should not be valued over any other, for many of the largest changes happen at unseen levels. It is not a competition. There is no score sheet, there are no point values. There is only the desire and the will to follow it.

Doing what you need to do to be at your best and brightest, whatever that might be, is laying a foundation of being able to do more and do better, and you will likely find yourself doing things you never thought possible. The most productive form of service is that given freely and in joy, not in servitude and misery, and it is the work of wisdom to distinguish between the two.
I would say the greatest act of service to others is being in a loving state of awareness. Which is what i believe you have summed up in this post.
Wow, I think you did such a great job articulating how polarizing can get in the way of true service (which I believe you said you wanted to touch on). So often people let themselves get bogged down with an overactive heart chakra - the trap of the martyr. They work so hard to do good and then feel as if they haven't made a dent in the suffering of the world, and get down on themselves for being worthless. The inner work is the outer work = the suffering you alleviate in yourself is the suffering you alleviate for the whole world.
Wonderfully expressed. I've come to the same conclusions over the past half year. I believe the issue you touch on involves the indigo ray..

"The indigo ray is opened only through considerable discipline and practice largely having to do with acceptance of self, not only as the polarized and balanced self but as the Creator, as an entity of infinite worth. This will begin to activate the indigo ray."

By learning to love and accept ourselves and our limits, I think we function on a magical level that allows for transformations to occur on a collective level. Technological and medical breakthroughs should occur, and social disharmony should lessen. It is our birthright to be happy and enjoy ourselves. While it's said that as our awareness grows, our responsibility grows also, progression in consciousness through discipline should be rewarded with ease of existence. Life should get easier, not harder!

I believe it's also just as important to be mindful of our words and opinions, and what they communicate to others. Since the indigo center is the center of worthiness, wisdom is not wisdom if we make others feel bad about themselves by always fixing another's thoughts or opinions. Each interaction carries an emotional energy that forms the quality of the collective atmosphere. Let their spirit be free to discover.
Yera, I think you are making a very important point. The Quo statement, "you are not here to fix it, you are here to love it" comes to mind.

Certainly it has been my experience that, much more than heroic acts of self-sacrifice, a steady and committed transformation of personality towards dealing with difficult situations with kindness and goodwill, combined with frequent meditation, is a very effective way to grow spiritually, polarize, attain greater stable joy, and become harvestable.

Translated into Ra terminology, reacting to the usual daily difficulties with goodwill, kindness, and patience is effective use of catalyst. For us living in the first world, I'll go out on a limb and say that most of the difficulties (catalyst) which we encounter is either interpersonal, ego-related, or both. I don't understand the term "ego death", but I would agree that polishing down the ego is invaluable and vital (as a concrete example, steadily wearing away at the pride that makes us focus on restoring our positive opinion of ourselves by defending our actions, rather than focusing on the unhappiness of the person whose feelings we've inadvertently harmed, and working to restore their happiness before focusing on our own happiness and self-image).

For a while, I had developed the capacity to entirely bypass the emotional pull of the ego or the situation, and immediately recognize any uncomfortable experience (unhappiness, conflict, etc.) first and foremost as an opportunity to answer the question posed to me by the Universe at that moment: Stranger, right now, do you want to choose love and kindness? For the few weeks this lasted, I lived in almost constant bliss. I want to get back there, but it's very challenging to not let the pull of emotion overpower the only aim of the spirit, which is to grow in steady and unwavering love. Did it take effort? You bet! But it's important to distinguish between exerting effort to suppress negative impulses in ourselves, vs. recognizing them and choosing to seek love and kindness in that moment.

As a recent experience has taught me very clearly, being honest with ourselves and being willing to fully face (even stare at) our negative impulses makes their folly obvious and robs them of their power. Doing that and then choosing love not only opens the green chakra, but also the blue.

May God bless every one of you, and help you on your cosmic journey.

Unbound

Doin' the good work. Smile
This post is just ..... Wow.
As I suspected from your other post, I'm glad you came to much the same conclusions in regards to service. Smile

PS: The thread title is exceptionally eloquent. BigSmile

(12-21-2014, 07:31 PM)Jade Wrote: [ -> ]Wow, I think you did such a great job articulating how polarizing can get in the way of true service (which I believe you said you wanted to touch on). So often people let themselves get bogged down with an overactive heart chakra - the trap of the martyr. They work so hard to do good and then feel as if they haven't made a dent in the suffering of the world, and get down on themselves for being worthless. The inner work is the outer work = the suffering you alleviate in yourself is the suffering you alleviate for the whole world.

I would comment that you probably aren't even polarizing at all or very little if your heart isn't in the right place when performing a physical service. Eg, if your primary motivation for volunteering at a soup kitchen is to polarize positively, you aren't going to gain any/much polarity. I would liken it to paying lip service.

Disclaimer: of course, you can't judge another's polarity; just a very general opinion.

(12-21-2014, 08:53 PM)Icaro Wrote: [ -> ]Wonderfully expressed. I've come to the same conclusions over the past half year. [...]

I have observed that many people are coming to the same conclusions in a relatively short time frame (lets says 6 months - 2 years) with a quite a few different topics.

I wonder if this phenomenon is being caused by new concepts being filtered into our collective subconscious, then the intuitive-types consciously realizing it?
I think we're all mirroring each other's progress.
I'd have to agree with Jade..it's all one movement. We're all teaching and learning, together! *group hug*

Unbound

When you move, we move, when we move, you move.