Bring4th

Full Version: The Gutenberg Galaxy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm very interested in beingness, quality of communication, and viewing language as existing as something way beyond speech. I think we are to approach the way we communicate in a symbolic way, carrying the idea of language and communication into new realms. A book called The Gutenberg Galaxy gives credence to the idea that communication is way more than it appears. I haven't been able to read it yet, but it's by Marshall McLuhan, who got his ideas from a guy named Harold Innis. McLuhan was apparently considered one of the greatest intellectuals of the 20th century, yet he fell completely off the map. His most popular book is Understanding Media: The Extensions of Men. McLuhan gave the idea for the phrase "Turn on, tune in, drop out" to Leary. Anyway, Innis' theory was that when we look back in history, we can see how a movement from oral culture to a written culture literally changed how we experience reality and results in particular manifestations. McLuhan would say that our sense-ratio is altered, as we begin to make use of particular regions of the brain over the other.

The main focus of oral cultures is morality, and is interested in quality across time rather than a rigid definition of reality. By writing things down, this lead to a more and more refined, rigid, logical approach to reality. So the theory goes that only in a culture of the printing press, with its removable and interchangeable parts, could you get something such as an assembly line and an industrialized nation. Things like depth perception in Renaissance panting is the culmination of a linear approach.

I should mention that I don't like to label anything good or bad, so I simply see these observations as interesting. They're more like a work of art or something. McLuhan agrees to an extent.."The theme of this book is not that there is anything good or bad about print but that unconsciousness of the effect of any force is a disaster, especially a force we have made ourselves." And so, "Some may feel that life is too valuable and delightful a thing to be spent in such arbitrary and involuntary automatism."  I disagree with that last observation in a way, since all is well.

We're undergoing a transition, which can be noted in postmodernism with the blurring of the lines in the paintings of impressionism, or the broken up narrative format by James Joyce in Ulysses. Fascinating stuff. Electronic media is seen to favor tribalism in the sense of creating community, and decentralization of power. McLuhan summed all this up in his phrase, "The medium is the message."  So it is not the content of what is in the medium itself that is the subject, but how the medium itself affects reality is the message. How does our beingness, that is, the style with which we communicate to others, its quality, affect reality?

This seems to be the essence of our seeking.
The Alphabet vs the Goddess is also a good book that looks at the differences between a linear approach and a more holistic approach.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Alphabet-Versu...0140196013
Very cool, thank you!

I should add this to the thread, so as to not cast a negative light on the rational mind..

"It may seem that the rational or analytical mind might have more of a possibility of successfully pursuing the negative orientation due to the fact that, in our understanding, too much order is by its essence negative. However, this same ability to structure abstract concepts and to analyze experiential data may be the key to rapid positive polarization. It may be said that those whose analytical capacities are predominant have somewhat more to work with in polarizing.

The function of intuition is to inform intelligence. In your illusion the unbridled predominance of intuition will tend to keep an entity from the greater polarizations due to the vagaries of intuitive perception. As you may see, these two types of brain structure need to be balanced in order that the net sum of experiential catalyst will be polarization and illumination, for without the acceptance by the rational mind of the worth of the intuitive faculty the creative aspects which aid in illumination will be stifled."

Unbound

Try drawing a circle without a line.
I've been down that road before Tongue

I edited out all the nonsense that was detracting from what I had originally intended this thread to be about. You can listen to Terrence McKenna speak about McLuhan here.