Bring4th

Full Version: do you use a vitamin/mineral supplement?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
since going to a more raw food style diet (lots of fresh juice, using a blender for nuts and veggies), I've found I can drop the vitamin pills.  Actually, it used to be a big tablet, which you didn't want to lick, because it tasted pretty gross, and was like a compound of 100 different substances.  But sad story aside, I've dropped the pills and tablets, and it's all going fine.

before, because I had such a cooked diet, I would notice within 3 or 4 days if I skipped the multivitamin.  My skin would get flaky (Vit C), or I would get light headed vision if I moved my head too quickly (something to do with Vit A, I think).  But that vision thing would probably take a week of two to show itself.

so do you take vitamin pills still?
I used to take a LOT of vitamins! My hubby would tease me about the 'vitamin store' in my cupboard. I had so many, I could have opened a store!

Not anymore. Since I've been drinking the water, nutrients are absorbed better, so there is less need to spend a fortune on vitamins. Plus, since I went high-raw vegan, I'm getting more nutrients that way too.

I've been using superfoods for 35 years. I started out with spirulina, then Aphanizomenon Flos Aqua, chlorella, etc. Now, I'm also into foraging wild herbs and weeds. And, I'm working on growing my own fruits and veggies as much as possible...plus sprouting.

I read recently that 50% of the nutrients in vegetables are depleted in the first 1/2 hour of harvest! Wow! A good reason to at least grow sprouts, which are easy...anyone can do it in their kitchen.

It's always better to get nutrients from foods, rather than vitamins. Unless the vitamin explicitly states 'whole food vitamin extract' or something like that (in which case it will be very pricey), virtually all vitamin supplements are made in a lab. They are far, far from natural!

Foods have co-nutrients that the body can recognize and assimilate.

But, the problem is that we live in a toxic world, and veggies don't have the nutrients they used to. For example, it now takes 75 bowls of spinach to equal the iron content of a single bowl of spinach in 1948. (I saw this on a USDA website some years back, but it has since been removed.)

What to do?

Superfoods. They can compensate to a great degree. Also juicing, sprouting and foraging. Wild lettuce, for example, has about 20 times the nutrients as cultivated lettuce.