Bring4th

Full Version: opinions on Buddhism?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Buddhism is one of those things that I am rather partial to.  But I only have an outsider's observation of it.  I've never been a monk, or signed up officially to a monastery or a retreat.

But it also attracts a few detractors.  

what are your thoughts on it?
I think that it is a highly balanced 6th density like belief system. As someone who used to try and yearn for positivity, to me the Buddhist approach to non attachment and recognizing the folly in form/anything that "happens" and seeing it through the lense of the formless is an example of a much more positively polarized position (the idea that the only positive way of existing is through realizing that we do not indeed exist yet at the same time our existence is meaningful). I do believe that it is an expert level philosophy that is rarely performed with the degree of depth that it truly deserves in western culture. The entire scope of the universe and God can be realized through simple breathing, it blows my mind! 
I think Buddhism is interesting, and metaphysically, I think they have a relatively correct understanding of what liberation, or nirvana as it is called, constitutes but like all prescribed systems of discipline with rules of "correct" ways of behaving, I think it fails to take into account the unique circumstances of each incarnation.  That is to say, there is no one size fits all path to awakening.  

My distortions are not your distortions, and the noble eightfold path won't necessarily dissolve said distortions.

Actions without conviction are empty and devoid of real impact on the soul.  It's like eating this or that because you've been told it is good for you, but regardless of how you feel as you do it.  It's approaching things from the outside in, rather than the inside out.  It doesn't take into account the unique vibratory distortions of the moment.  As Ra noted, the repression of that self which is inherently perfect leads to the manifestation of more experience of expression of those qualities which were seemingly overcome.  

That which is not needed naturally falls away as distortions are dissolved in the fire of awareness and understanding.  I prefer to let my behavior naturally and organically change as a result of that, rather than follow a prescribed system of discipline.

Having said that, it could be the perfect path for certain beings.  Only you can know.  Wink
A 10 day vipassana meditation is free and one of the most powerful growth experiences you can ever experience.

All of the teachings in the 10 day course align perfectly with the Law of One and there is no exclusion to buddhism (as a philosophy) and any other beliefs system.

Check out www.dhamma.org
Bhuddism gives not much value to the mind and soul, or at least that was my impression after going on a buddhism forum and talking with a guide. Yet we are mind/spirit/body complexes, so each aspect is important.

From a 3D perspective I think it's one of the rare good teachings but it cares not about higher order and is satisfied with simply being rather than following the path of evolution. It seemed to correspond the earth element.

On my part it was enlightning in that it was a philosphy of life counter-intuitive to me.
I have been to a Kagyu Buddhist Monastery 3 times now and have received direct training in meditation/mindfulness and the Dharma in its basics form such as the 4 Noble Truths, the 5 Precepts ,Bodhicitta etc. I have had an interview with a Tibetan Lama Rinpoche.

I think it is a wonderful religion or perhaps philosophy would be a better word but i am not sure if something as formal as a religion is for everybody. Many people go on retreats and aren't Buddhists. If i had to pick a religion to follow it would probably be Buddhism.
My contribution to your thread was going to quote a well-known Einstein quote on Buddhism, prefacing the quote saying something like, "You've probably already heard this".

But when I ran a search for Einstein's quote, I discovered that it is an alleged quote, that is, there is no proof that Einstein ever actually said it:

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/einsteins-quotes-buddhism
(02-27-2015, 02:08 PM)Bring4th_GLB Wrote: [ -> ]But when I ran a search for Einstein's quote, I discovered that it is an alleged quote, that is, there is no proof that Einstein ever actually said it:

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/einsteins-quotes-buddhism

that's a beautiful quote, even if he didn't say it BigSmile

But hey, I hadn't seen it before!
in my opinion, Buddhism is a belief system sent by Creator to alleviate spiritual pain through inspiration. Its main purpose is to make people feel appeased, secure and to provide some cosmology. Though, it's not the ultimate, it helps people understand the creation from a certain perspective. Like in Abrahamic religions. 

Also, i can say, Buddhism is spiritually much advanced than all Abrahamic religions. You know in judaism and especially islam, there is a big fear factor. However in buddhism, i can say there is none. It frees people from fear. And also it gives refreshment.

Consequently, in many aspects, Buddhism is an ideal religion for humans. Though not partial to any religion, it seems a great one. Even some extraterrestrials say, it's the best religion for humanity.

ps: i'm spiritual
I respect Buddhist Monks. And from what I understand, nirvana is a nice goal to attain for.
I heard that you reach nirvana 3 times before you do not return.

Are the Shao Lin the same? The ones that do martial arts.
from Civilization 4

(02-27-2015, 05:18 PM)bosphorus Wrote: [ -> ]from Civilization 4

A bit too short to be informative. Plus I couldn't understand it.
Great starting point for spirituality but something that you will grow out of
I think before we are quick to make assumptions on different spiritual paths we should walk them first and speak to the teachers who have walked that path directly.
Great philosophy except the theological part of it and it's basis for not eating meat. The whole 'you could be eating your future family" thing rubbed me the wrong way
(03-03-2015, 08:27 AM)Jeremy Wrote: [ -> ]Great philosophy except the theological part of it and it's basis for not eating meat. The whole 'you could be eating your future family" thing rubbed me the wrong way

Well from a LOO perspective it'd be eating yourself or other self. 
(03-03-2015, 08:27 AM)Jeremy Wrote: [ -> ]Great philosophy except the theological part of it and it's basis for not eating meat. The whole 'you could be eating your future family" thing rubbed me the wrong way

oh no, Jeremy, you didn't Tongue
I don't do well with structured religions or beliefs. My experiences have been more abstract.