Bring4th

Full Version: Severe Time Distortions in Dreams/Sleep?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had one of the most severe time distortions in my sleep state that I've had in a while.

I got home from the night shift about 730am in the morning, did a few things for a couple of hours, and then fell asleep around 10am or so.  I wasn't feeling particularly exhausted or tired, but pretty much regular, nothing out of the unusual.

When I woke up (or was returning to conscious awareness), I'd been aware that there'd been a lot of dream activity.  I didn't recall a great deal, which is not a problem; I usually find my recall sharp if there something I need to consciously process; otherwise, there is an aspect of dream experience which is about an unkinking of minor patterns in the mind, and is just a bit of re-organisation or refiling of material.  And also there may be a laying down in the subconscious of coming patterns for the day which we don't need conscious awareness of.

Anyway, I was convinced that I had been asleep for an unholy amount of time, and that it would be pitch-black, and evening time or later.  My estimate was 17 hours of sleep.

As I slowly opened my eyes, it was still light and bright.  Ok, maybe not 17 hours, maybe I just slept till late afternoon, 6-7pm-ish or so.  

When I checked my phone, it was only 2pm.  This was a shock.  I'd only been unconscious for 4 hours?  It felt like 17.

I haven't had a time distortion like this in a while.

- -

there was also a Star Trek: TNG episode where Picard lived a whole life when he was under the influence of some machine or other.

strange stuff happens in time/space when the conscious mind is laid to rest BigSmile
actually that was a memory implant.
I've had dreams that spanned years or even decades within a period of twenty minutes. You're only supposed to hit REM sleep every 90 minutes or so, but I often have vivid dreams even when I nod off for a few moments, and they usually seem too large to fit into the time period. There have been plenty of times I've woken up from a small nap freaking out because I was sure I'd slept for ages and would be late for work, only to find my alarm hadn't even gone off yet.

I think the thing to consider here is that we go from space/time in waking life to time/space in sleep. The amount of "time" spent in one place is irrelevant to how much time has passed in the other. It's quite possible to get an overlap and get somewhat jet lagged. I've had a few incredibly odd experiences in which I woke up but was still in what I would consider to be time/space, and it took some time for reality to get back to how it was supposed to be.
(03-09-2015, 08:11 AM)Yera Wrote: [ -> ]I've had dreams that spanned years or even decades within a period of twenty minutes.
those kind of dreams always leave me feeling traumatized for a good long while after waking. sometimes i think the purpose of my current life is to see how much trauma i can handle without completely, & permanently, snapping. one time a nightmare was so bad that it left me unable to talk for a day.

(03-09-2015, 08:11 AM)Yera Wrote: [ -> ]You're only supposed to hit REM sleep every 90 minutes or so, but I often have vivid dreams even when I nod off for a few moments,
same here
Once I was lying on a couch and gave the bedroom door a nudge with my foot to close it. I was awakened to the sound of it actually closing, probably a second later. So sometimes I fall asleep quickly, and I dreamed then too.
Quote:
Ra: I am Ra. The portions of the dreaming process which are helpful for polarization and also for the vision of the mystic take place in time/space and, consequently, use the bridge from metaphysical to physical for what seems to be a brief period of your space/time. The time/space equivalent is far greater. The bridge remains, however, and traduces each distortion of mind, body, and spirit as it has received the distortions of energy influxes so that healing may take place. This healing process does not occur with the incidence of rapid eye movement but rather occurs largely in the space/time portion of the mind/body/spirit complex using the bridge to time/space for the process of healing to be enabled.
Each night is a total disconnection from time in my case. I just wake up each day straight from a pitch black abyss and my first thoughts are usually about remembering where I am. I seem to wake up totally clueless about my own life most of the times.
This happens to my husband all the time. He'll fall asleep in the evening at say ~11 and wake up at ~1:30am and think it's almost daylight (and just feel like it's time to be done sleeping).
thanks for all the personal reflections everyone.  Appreciated.

As a further addendum to the time distortion effect, the last couple of days I've felt 'unsynced' from this reality.  My mind was constantly thinking it was Saturday or Monday, rather than the Wednesday that it was.  It was not disconcerting as such, but just a sense of being out of sync quite slightly, but noticably.

I then watched the movie Inception for the first time last night - and what a great film!  It touches upon the use of dreaming, and it's highly creative potential.  After seeing Interstellar last year, I think I'm ready to become a Christopher Nolan fan!  time to revisit some of his other works - I do have good memories of The Prestige, not so much of the Batman films.  But I digress.

Anyway, last night I had quite a healing dream.  I ended up at a metaphysical bookstore, and went to the basement section, where the less 'popular' books were kept.  I guess the more arcane and esoteric works.  While down there (and I was with a couple of other individuals who I walked with to this bookstore), I found something that I considered quite valuable.  I even saw the title - but it faded from memory.  But the title isn't so important, as what it symbolised - something I was looking for.  I brought this book back up to the level 1 of the bookstore, and browsed a bit further.  Then the dream faded, and I had some other less impactful dream foillowup.

I felt extremely healed and resynchronized when awaking.  Like I'm back in tune after being slightly desynchronized for a few days.

so good!
I feel dazed today, after the nightmares I had last night.