Bring4th

Full Version: Social Obligations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what does the term 'social obligations' mean to you?

or is it kind of outdated and irrelevant in our current time?
"In terms of instant relief, canceling plans is like heroin." - John Mulaney

I don't think the concept is outdated at all.

For example. My friend just sent out invitations last week for his wedding next month(!). His fiance is here on a visa from another country. Ahem, you do the math. Doesn't even sound like he knows her all that well, but ok, whatever.

I'm not crazy about having to travel 500+ miles and book a hotel etc for something that isn't that genuine, but I guess that's a value judgement that I'm making which isn't fair. And to not go would make me feel like a big selfish jerk. So I must go, even though I'm kinda like, ehhhh. Could really put that money towards a vacation I actually wanna take....

So a social obligation, to me, is any social event I don't really want to partake in for some reason but feel I should in order to maintain friendships, relationships, etc.

Unfortunately, more and more social events are starting to fall under this category for me. Maybe I need to find a social group that is more in line with my beliefs/attitude. I just can't stand how casually inconsiderate people are towards others, or how it's OK to just be politically polarized as hell and demonize your "opposition" as vile, thoughtless idiots whose opinions and actions need to be forcibly stopped and corrected ... blah, blah, blah.
My dad when I visit him usually picks me up from the airport. If he passed away I wouldn't have that easy of a time getting there. I did drive there before but got lost and eventually found my way but it's been years.
(03-24-2015, 09:42 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]what does the term 'social obligations' mean to you?

or is it kind of outdated and irrelevant in our current time?

The word "obligation" doesn't have to be pejorative, but the term seems likely to carry negative connotations, as if to say that one is contractually/ethically/legally/socially required or bound to do something, or fulfill some function that they find undesirable and otherwise might not do.

Whether pejorative, nuetral, or positive, I think we all have social obligations, one to the other, whether it is social obligations to use the roadways fairly, or to be respectful to our neighbors, or to care for our family, or not hog up the collective resources, or to not muck up our shared environment, or to not bring a boombox cranked to ten onto the bus with you.
I don't think anyone in my neighborhood knows the boombox obligation.
My friend had neighbors that would play horrible Tejano music with big boomy bass at all hours.
It's not really something i think about. I would say its really just common sense for the most part. The problem with obligations is that everybody has a different idea of what they are. Youths will see things differently than there peers.

Mostly, if you show up to events when invited and don't do anything that's over the top most people keep to themselves here.
Wearing clothes is a social obligation.
(03-24-2015, 06:50 PM)Monica Wrote: [ -> ]Wearing clothes is a social obligation.

Except when it's cold or we're trying to hide our bodies because we hate ourselves
Ask.com defines 'social obligation' as "an informal need to do something based on prescribed social etiquette. Reciprocating an invitation to dinner is a social obligation when a person doesn't really want to do it."
(03-24-2015, 09:42 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]what does the term 'social obligations' mean to you?

or is it kind of outdated and irrelevant in our current time?

Hello Dear Plenum,

"Social obligations" for me is something of an outside origins that is imposed on Self.

“Social responsibilities” on the other hand has it’s source within and is perceived by me as an Inner desire to express Love and Care.

Of course above differences in meanings are caused by understanding that I’m attaching to those labels/words, but the distinction is significant.

What does it mean to be “responsible” in regards to Other-Selves? Do no harm; support if You can and are allowed; do not condemn or prove to Other-Self false unworthiness that One can perceive as a result of personal dissonance between One’s Ideals and the reality that He/She is perceiving / finding Him/Her – Self in. But also do not falsely praise nor glorify Other-Self and by that offer false feedback with which Other-Self may build false Self-Image.

I also think, that significant part of “responsibility for Other-Selves” is to treat properly Self. Only than One can treat properly Other-Self.

All I have Best in me for You
(03-24-2015, 02:11 PM)Yera Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think anyone in my neighborhood knows the boombox obligation.

Judging by the sounds heard outside your kitchen window, I would say you're local inhabitants do not know this obligation.

(03-24-2015, 09:57 PM)third-density-being Wrote: [ -> ]"Social obligations" for me is something of an outside origins that is imposed on Self.

“Social responsibilities” on the other hand has it’s source within and is perceived by me as an Inner desire to express Love and Care.

Of course above differences in meanings are caused by understanding that I’m attaching to those labels/words, but the distinction is significant.

That is a wonderful distinction, Simon.

There may even be a basis in Ra's philosophy for obligation vs. responsibility.

Reflection on the adept's relationship to obligation:
80.10 Ra: It is also to be noted that an adept is one which has freed itself more and more from the constraints of the thoughts, opinions, and bonds of other-selves.

Reflection on social responsibility linked to concepts of honor and duty:
16.41 This responsibility/honor is the foundation of this vibration.

16.42 Questioner: Can you tell me a little more about this honor/responsibility concept?

Ra: I am Ra. Each responsibility is an honor; each honor, a responsibility.

Reflection on honor/duty/responsibility being accepted and chosen:
16.41 The fifth-density harvest is of those whose vibratory distortions consciously accept the honor/duty of the Law of One

5.2 We have decided to accept, if offered, the honor/duty of learning/teaching the healing process

18.6 ...it is the prerogative/honor/duty of those in the particular planetary sphere to act according to its free will for the attempted aid of the social complex.

22.5 Without demonstrating the fruits of such learn/teaching the life span became greatly reduced, for the ways of honor/duty were not being accepted.

34.17 It felt a great honor/duty to the preservation of that which was felt by the entity to be true, beautiful, and in need of defense

35.8 This entity accepted the honor/duty of completing the one known as Abraham’s karmic patterns

Perhaps, then, the term obligation best applies to a situation that has been imposed upon the self by another self, or a group of selves, or a societal norm. The self being imposed upon still chooses to act in accordance with that obligation, but does so without a sense of honor/responsibility, but instead feels resistance.

On the other hand, if the same self chooses to accept the requirement/need of the other self or the situation, perhaps then it becomes an honor/duty/responsibility.

(03-24-2015, 09:57 PM)third-density-being Wrote: [ -> ]What does it mean to be “responsible” in regards to Other-Selves? Do no harm; support if You can and are allowed; do not condemn or prove to Other-Self false unworthiness that One can perceive as a result of personal dissonance between One’s Ideals and the reality that He/She is perceiving / finding Him/Her – Self in. But also do not falsely praise nor glorify Other-Self and by that offer false feedback with which Other-Self may build false Self-Image.

I also think, that significant part of “responsibility for Other-Selves” is to treat properly Self. Only than One can treat properly Other-Self.

Your set of honor/duties are well stated. Thank you for sharing. Smile
To me social obligations are self imposed obligations for one to feel good about himself toward other-selves. I avoid to have these as much as possible.
i don't have many friends because i can't deal w social constructs for social constructs' sake. people torture themselves & others w them & i want to slap them & say stop being a sheep!
(03-25-2015, 10:28 AM)Bring4th_GLB Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps, then, the term obligation best applies to a situation that has been imposed upon the self by another self, or a group of selves, or a societal norm. The self being imposed upon still chooses to act in accordance with that obligation, but does so without a sense of honor/responsibility, but instead feels resistance.

On the other hand, if the same self chooses to accept the requirement/need of the other self or the situation, perhaps then it becomes an honor/duty/responsibility.

You've given a great summary. What you're basically describing sounds to me like the differences between love that gives with expectation and without expectation of return.

We could substitute obligations as having expectations of others, love that is given with conditions. And responsibilities are seen as honor/duties accepted upon the self freely regarding our perceptions of others (disciplines of personality), unconditional love that is given without expectation of return.

"The great key to blue, indigo, and finally, that great capital of the column of sexual energy transfer, violet energy transfers, is the metaphysical bond or distortion which has the name among your peoples of unconditional love."
(03-25-2015, 12:17 PM)Icaro Wrote: [ -> ]You've given a great summary. What you're basically describing sounds to me like the differences between love that gives with expectation and without expectation of return.

We could substitute obligations as having expectations of others, love that is given with conditions. And responsibilities are seen as honor/duties accepted upon the self freely regarding our perceptions of others (disciplines of personality), unconditional love that is given without expectation of return.

"The great key to blue, indigo, and finally, that great capital of the column of sexual energy transfer, violet energy transfers, is the metaphysical bond or distortion which has the name among your peoples of unconditional love."

Ha. I had never linked the concepts before. You're totally right, insofar as my analysis takes me. Love with expectation & condition vs. Love without expectation or condition must certainly be synomous with, or linked to, Social obligation vs. Social honor/responsibility.

In the former there is a sense of imprisonment. In the latter there is a sense of freedom.

The circumstance in both cases may be identical, actually, but the self responding to the circumstance is freed by their unconditional love.

One can see why Ra calls unconditional love the "springboard", the "great protector", and the "great key".
Yes, I've always liked those terms. So this inner discipline can be seen as a service to others, and I can understand the beauty in seeing this as an honor/responsibility.
(03-24-2015, 10:17 AM)outerheaven Wrote: [ -> ]"In terms of instant relief, canceling plans is like heroin." - John Mulaney

I don't think the concept is outdated at all.

For example. My friend just sent out invitations last week for his wedding next month(!). His fiance is here on a visa from another country. Ahem, you do the math. Doesn't even sound like he knows her all that well, but ok, whatever.

I'm not crazy about having to travel 500+ miles and book a hotel etc for something that isn't that genuine, but I guess that's a value judgement that I'm making which isn't fair. And to not go would make me feel like a big selfish jerk. So I must go, even though I'm kinda like, ehhhh. Could really put that money towards a vacation I actually wanna take....

So a social obligation, to me, is any social event I don't really want to partake in for some reason but feel I should in order to maintain friendships, relationships, etc.

Unfortunately, more and more social events are starting to fall under this category for me. Maybe I need to find a social group that is more in line with my beliefs/attitude. I just can't stand how casually inconsiderate people are towards others, or how it's OK to just be politically polarized as hell and demonize your "opposition" as vile, thoughtless idiots whose opinions and actions need to be forcibly stopped and corrected ... blah, blah, blah.

I also had a recent experience were I had to attend a wedding I didn't want to go to.  It was my brother in-laws wedding, I didn't want to go because neither of them have been particularly nice to me over the last few years.  I told my mother in-law I wasn't going.  She pretty much reminded me that I don't have a choice because I am family and we live in the same area, and although both of them have been a******* to me, I'd end up looking like the a****** for not attending something so significant.