Bring4th

Full Version: Discrimination
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do you guys deal with thoughts and feelings, if you have any, which are discriminatory towards various groups and people?  I, for example, have noticed that I entertain and often have thoughts, feelings and beliefs which are racist, sexist etc.  I do feel a great deal of shame and guilt for having these thoughts but I am actively trying to change them and move into a more harmonious state of being.  Does anyone have any recommendations and suggestions as to how to best go about doing this?  Perhaps some personal experiences and things you learned from such matters?  
I send Metta to disturbing thoughts or subtle imaginings that bother me. Just wish their reality well, bless their existence and be on your way. You can say something along the lines of "May love be with you" to the certain thought, directed toward its central creative existence; then watch the thought transform into something beautiful. You can say anything really. My favorite is "May loving awareness be with you". I always wonder though why the thought had a desire to present itself to my more conscious awareness. The thought isn't inherently ugly, just in 3d they can appear very distasteful.
(03-30-2015, 12:17 AM)Folk-love Wrote: [ -> ]How do you guys deal with thoughts and feelings, if you have any, which are discriminatory towards various groups and people?  I, for example, have noticed that I entertain and often have thoughts, feelings and beliefs which are racist, sexist etc.  I do feel a great deal of shame and guilt for having these thoughts but I am actively trying to change them and move into a more harmonious state of being.  Does anyone have any recommendations and suggestions as to how to best go about doing this?  Perhaps some personal experiences and things you learned from such matters?  

I think that the best thing to do is to not beat yourself up about them. We have to realize that as 3rd density beings, we are all prone to the imperfections that are inherent of this density. We all like to pretend that we are, and that everyone around us, is and has to be 100% STO, but that's just not possible. If you think about it, we just have to be 51% STO. The Logos (plural) obviously left a wide margin for a very wise, and loving reason. Just some stuff to think about.
(03-30-2015, 12:33 AM)tamaryn Wrote: [ -> ]I send Metta to disturbing thoughts or subtle imaginings that bother me. Just wish their reality well, bless their existence and be on your way. You can say something along the lines of "May love be with you" to the certain thought, directed toward its central creative existence; then watch the thought transform into something beautiful. You can say anything really. My favorite is "May loving awareness be with you". I always wonder though why the thought had a desire to present itself to my more conscious awareness. The thought isn't inherently ugly, just in 3d they can appear very distasteful.

For the most part, the thoughts are in response to some sort of external stimulus (eg reading something, watching something, an interaction with another person etc).  Although sometimes they seem to just come out of nowhere which is strange.  It's like, "where did that come from?".
(03-30-2015, 12:17 AM)Folk-love Wrote: [ -> ]How do you guys deal with thoughts and feelings, if you have any, which are discriminatory towards various groups and people?  I, for example, have noticed that I entertain and often have thoughts, feelings and beliefs which are racist, sexist etc.  I do feel a great deal of shame and guilt for having these thoughts but I am actively trying to change them and move into a more harmonious state of being.  Does anyone have any recommendations and suggestions as to how to best go about doing this?  Perhaps some personal experiences and things you learned from such matters?  

If I notice an unwanted bias in some direction or another, I try to spend some time finding the opposite side of that bias.  Meaning, if I have a negative belief about somebody, I attempt to imagine them differently, in a more positive light.  Even if I have to come up with a completely imaginary scenario about that person (or groups of people) where they acted seemingly completely out of character.  Sometimes making a list of real and currently active positive aspects helps, if the other way isn't giving you any results.  Now, obviously, I don't always do this, because like everybody, I fall into my own unconscious patterns from time to time.  But anyways, when I have got some positive momentum going (you'll know because you'll (A) feel your mood lift and (B) begin to actually see them differently), I focus the light of a thousand suns (my awareness/attention) on the new and improved image/perspective/bias about the person. 

I remind myself that I can find evidence for anything if it is active enough in my vibration.  And you know what?  My relationship with these people changes to reflect the new bias I have created. 

You are always pulling behaviors out of people, both good and bad.  We are all creating each others behavior to some degree or another.  We are all capable of benevolence and depravity.  You can change the nature of all rendezvous when you change your beliefs.  And if they are not a match to what is active within you, they won't be drawn into your experience.  You are pulling all sorts of behaviors out of people at all times.  Learn to pull the best out of people.    
(03-30-2015, 03:14 AM)anagogy Wrote: [ -> ]

If I notice an unwanted bias in some direction or another, I try to spend some time finding the opposite side of that bias.  Meaning, if I have a negative belief about somebody, I attempt to imagine them differently, in a more positive light.  Even if I have to come up with a completely imaginary scenario about that person (or groups of people) where they acted seemingly completely out of character.  Sometimes making a list of real and currently active positive aspects helps, if the other way isn't giving you any results.  Now, obviously, I don't always do this, because like everybody, I fall into my own unconscious patterns from time to time.  But anyways, when I have got some positive momentum going (you'll know because you'll (A) feel your mood lift and (B) begin to actually see them differently), I focus the light of a thousand suns (my awareness/attention) on the new and improved image/perspective/bias about the person. 

I remind myself that I can find evidence for anything if it is active enough in my vibration.  And you know what?  My relationship with these people changes to reflect the new bias I have created. 

You are always pulling behaviors out of people, both good and bad.  We are all creating each others behavior to some degree or another.  We are all capable of benevolence and depravity.  You can change the nature of all rendezvous when you change your beliefs.  And if they are not a match to what is active within you, they won't be drawn into your experience.  You are pulling all sorts of behaviors out of people at all times.  Learn to pull the best out of people.    
Often it is not even that someone or a group of people have done something 'wrong', so it doesn't really feel right to try and imagine things in a more positive light when they are not negative to begin with.  It's my problem, not somebody else's.  Well, that's how it seems anyways.

I'm not sure what the root cause of these feelings are although I think a great deal of them are a result of social conditioning, both past and current.  I am currently just trying to express in fullness of depth what I am feeling and thinking so as to then become conscious of the thoughts.  Although this is challenging because some of the thoughts are really confronting and disturbing.      

Is it enough to just consciously sift through and express such thoughts, or do you also need to perform some of the actions and practices that you have suggested?  I thought it was enough just to 'shine the light of consciousness' on such aspects of yourself and then they would change on their own.  My intention is one of positive change as you can see but I wonder if conscious awareness needs to be supplemented with practices like the ones you have written.  
(03-30-2015, 06:03 AM)Folk-love Wrote: [ -> ]Often it is not even that someone or a group of people have done something 'wrong', so it doesn't really feel right to try and imagine things in a more positive light when they are not negative to begin with.  It's my problem, not somebody else's.  Well, that's how it seems anyways.

I'm not sure what the root cause of these feelings are although I think a great deal of them are a result of social conditioning, both past and current.  I am currently just trying to express in fullness of depth what I am feeling and thinking so as to then become conscious of the thoughts.  Although this is challenging because some of the thoughts are really confronting and disturbing.      

Is it enough to just consciously sift through and express such thoughts, or do you also need to perform some of the actions and practices that you have suggested?  I thought it was enough just to 'shine the light of consciousness' on such aspects of yourself and then they would change on their own.  My intention is one of positive change as you can see but I wonder if conscious awareness needs to be supplemented with practices like the ones you have written.  

I think it really depends on how you feel about it Folk-love.  Often awareness is enough in my experience.  But awareness of belief doesn't always immediately change said beliefs.  If shining the light of your awareness on these distortions brings you into emotional balance, that is all that needs to be done.  But if you shine the light of awareness on it, and still feel bad about it, I would say something is still not in balance.  Balance is not a state of feeling disturbed.  It is a place of calm and peace and love.  

Or anyways, that is my barometer for balance.
(03-30-2015, 02:30 AM)Folk-love Wrote: [ -> ]For the most part, the thoughts are in response to some sort of external stimulus (eg reading something, watching something, an interaction with another person etc).  Although sometimes they seem to just come out of nowhere which is strange.  It's like, "where did that come from?".

Now that's a different story. I'm pretty sure that's an STS entity trying to discourage you by implanting negative thoughts into your head. The same thing happened to Carla in the latter sessions. Even the ones that seem to come from inside may be suspect. Not trying to make you paranoid or anything, but awareness is key.
The bad thoughts about attacking my dog cause me to feel guilty for being alive.
In my opinion these have to be experienced for the shame feeling you get from them. They're imbalances surfacing into the mind to be worked on.

Wanted them to not be there would be like not wanting to face your own imbalances which is counter-productive.
(03-30-2015, 02:04 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2015, 02:30 AM)Folk-love Wrote: [ -> ]For the most part, the thoughts are in response to some sort of external stimulus (eg reading something, watching something, an interaction with another person etc).  Although sometimes they seem to just come out of nowhere which is strange.  It's like, "where did that come from?".

Now that's a different story. I'm pretty sure that's an STS entity trying to discourage you by implanting negative thoughts into your head. The same thing happened to Carla in the latter sessions. Even the one's that seem to come from inside may be suspect. Not trying to make you paranoid or anything, but awareness is key.

Negative entities can only work with what's already inside. So I'd say it's more like an external source empowering an internal bias. Negative entities go to those who have similar vibrations to their own.
Folk-love, it's an excellent question. Personally I try to remain mindful of the fact that there is no separation, that the other person is also me, in a different body; therefore it makes no sense to think of myself as "good" and them as "bad." Also, I recall instances where I acted very badly toward others, and that keeps my feelings of superiority in check. I also recognize that the person I'm thinking about is on their cosmic journey toward the only destination there is - absolute perfection and purity; that in the Eternal Now they have already achieved that awe-inspiring perfection, and I'm only seeing a tiny fraction of who they really are. Lastly, I keep in mind that life is challenging for everyone, and everyone does the best that they know how; and I try to find compassion for their struggle (substitute "lesson" if you prefer).
(03-30-2015, 05:57 PM)Stranger Wrote: [ -> ]Folk-love, it's an excellent question.  Personally I try to remain mindful of the fact that there is no separation, that the other person is also me, in a different body; therefore it makes no sense to think of myself as "good" and them as "bad."  Also, I recall instances where I acted very badly toward others, and that keeps my feelings of superiority in check.  I also recognize that the person I'm thinking about is on their cosmic journey toward the only destination there is - absolute perfection and purity; that in the Eternal Now they have already achieved that awe-inspiring perfection, and I'm only seeing a tiny fraction of who they really are.  Lastly, I keep in mind that life is challenging for everyone, and everyone does the best that they know how; and I try to find compassion for their struggle (substitute "lesson" if you prefer).

I really enjoyed that. BigSmile
Also, Folk-Love, there is no need for any guilt or shame. You are human. You are going to have these thoughts. They are simply yet another catalyst and challenge to you. All you need to do is notice them and find in their place love and unconditional acceptance of the other who is self. Guilt and shame are like adding one unhelpful action to another. The answer, my brother, is always love and acceptance of all involved - yourself included.
I discriminate against people that discriminate...so I discriminate against myself. Nothing wrong with that.

I know someone that loathes obese people. Every time we see an overweight person they b**** about them. They sent me a link to reddit.com/r/fatpeoplehate the other day. I try not to let it get to me bc I know they can't exactly help what peeves them - just like I can't.

AngelofDeath

I remember that all such thoughts are but glimpses of finite viewpoints and though they appear in my mind that does not mean 'I approve/want to do this'.
(03-31-2015, 06:17 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]I remember that all such thoughts are but glimpses of finite viewpoints and though they appear in my mind that does not mean 'I approve/want to do this'.

It's not about approving or wanting them, it's about the emotional response they provoke.
With the way the Mess Media projects guilt, I try to recognize the game before I play it...

AngelofDeath

(03-31-2015, 09:15 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-31-2015, 06:17 PM)AngelofDeath Wrote: [ -> ]I remember that all such thoughts are but glimpses of finite viewpoints and though they appear in my mind that does not mean 'I approve/want to do this'.

It's not about approving or wanting them, it's about the emotional response they provoke.

The emotional response comes from your relative feelings towards the thought.
i don't judge myself for having likes & dislikes. the question is do u act on it? as long as i treat people equally i reserve the right to think how i like. everyone is an equal in god's eyes.

i'm reminded of a movie i saw many years ago that i'll never forget. it was about nazism. one group hurt others, but there was an older man... in his 50s? he was very quiet & peaceful. he believed in the nazi cause but he wanted no part in violence. he gave out pamphlets. liberals would hate that man, consider him a monster. but whose free will did he stomp on? don't u have the right to be a racist if u still treat everyone w basic respect? embracing ur feelings w/o guilt, & w awareness that they serve u, may lead to those feelings to run their course. explore y u feel that way. do u feel guilty because society says to, or because they're harmful, or because they bother u?
I sometimes experiment with the thoughts. It's an interesting experience.
(04-01-2015, 09:13 PM)Karl Wrote: [ -> ]I sometimes experiment with the thoughts. It's an interesting experience.

Interesting suggestion. :idea:

An inner mode of contemplation I've been working with lately to open the heart and practice unconditional love is this:

I attempt to see the individual - whether I know them or not, whether I have a critical opinion of them or not, but especially if I have a critical opinion - from the standpoint of the Creator.

I try to see with the eyes of the Creator, as it were. I hold my attention on this point and imagine the total, unqualified, unconditional, unblinking love that the Creator feels for each of its manifestations, no matter how terribly distorted those manifestations may be. This love is so total that without it, the manifestation, or the mind/body/spirit complex, literally could not exist. Everything in creation, or the illusion, owes its existence to the love of the infinite creator, even those who have consciously dedicated themselves to denying the universal nature of this love.

Naturally, seeing from the eyes of the Creator is an exercise in the abstract, but it helps to cultivate the all-important awareness of unity, love, and light. As I focus on this and feel it opening my heart in a state of trust and communion, I use this as the reference point, north star, or yardstick.

In other words, this unconditional love is the measure of all things, and it brings into relief the distorted contours of the personality shell.

With that state of awareness as the reference point, I notice how I get in the way of that love. The Creator loves totally and unconditionally, yet I say "no" to love in different respects. I place conditions upon love. Why?

Who am I to deny the love that is already present for all things? Who am I to restrict that love? Who am I to get in the way of that love and put limits upon it?

What am I doing by "getting in the way of" love? I am creating blockage. I am blocking the Creator's love that belongs to ALL things in the moment.

So this contemplation helps me to locate my personal blockages, those little distortions of belief that have expectation of return, or place conditions upon the moment, or in some way resist the moment, refusing to see that, no matter the outer/apparent distortion, all unfolds in perfection, all is loved totally.

It is a work in progress.

(03-30-2015, 12:17 AM)Folk-love Wrote: [ -> ]I do feel a great deal of shame and guilt for having these thoughts but I am actively trying to change them and move into a more harmonious state of being.  Does anyone have any recommendations and suggestions as to how to best go about doing this?

The contemplative exercise I described above applies not only to that which you see or perceive outside of yourself, but most fundamentally to the experience of your own self. Imagine how total is the Creator's love for you right now, as you are, your blockages and distortions included.

The negative discrimination you feel that makes you uncomfortable, that, too, exists only because of love. It is a distortion of love. As such this blocked energy may find its true and higher expression by contact with love.

I find though that the mind, left to its own devices, will seek distraction and comfort. All spiritual practices and disciplines are like any practice and discipline: they require focus, perseverance, and frequency. The more you practice, the more you clear your energy, the more transparent the illusion of you becomes, the more purely you reflect the original thought. This is an area where I measure myself lacking, as my focus each day is upon a million things other than the central work.

But it's also helpful to remember that spiritual discipline requires patience, gentleness, and the light heart. Smile
That is beautiful, Gary!
(03-30-2015, 08:00 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]I discriminate against people that discriminate...so I discriminate against myself. Nothing wrong with that.

I know someone that loathes obese people. Every time we see an overweight person they b**** about them. They sent me a link to reddit.com/r/fatpeoplehate the other day. I try not to let it get to me bc I know they can't exactly help what peeves them - just like I can't.

Has anyone else been witnessing the drama happening on reddit recently bc of r/fatpeoplehate getting banned?

It seems the admins over there have the same problem as me: discriminating against discriminators.
(06-11-2015, 11:24 AM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-30-2015, 08:00 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]I discriminate against people that discriminate...so I discriminate against myself. Nothing wrong with that.

Has anyone else been witnessing the drama happening on reddit recently bc of r/fatpeoplehate getting banned?

It seems the admins over there have the same problem as me:  discriminating against discriminators.

Just looked it up, I'd say the admins are doing the right thing as to what they do not want to encourage. Their platform, their rules and I guess they're ready to loose popularity in the process.

I also have a tendency to discriminate against discriminators or be an hypocrite with hypocrites.
This is the main reason I stopped watching tv actually, also cleaning up my news feed on face book (a few blocks were required as discriminatory posts were greeting it).

Currently, it is the sudden images I am having which I am finding to be the most disturbing. That is violent images of self harming. I am a house builder by trade and am frequently cutting bricks with a hammer and bolster, and on occasions as I lift the hammer, I get an image of smacking my own face with it as I raise it. This would never actualise itself I know, and I don't worry too much about it. But harming the self!? Does anyone know what that might be pointing to? (no pun intended here lol)
Something about yourself you may not particularly like, or something you feel guilty about, or feel that you deserve punishment for, perhaps?

A technique I've been relying on lately is, when I become aware of an inner blockage or imbalance, asking myself, "what is this about?" and, keeping my mind quiet, waiting for the answer to pop up. it can be a word or phrase or image or feeling. I then ask follow-up questions about those, if needed.