Bring4th

Full Version: Narcissists on TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I very rarely watch the television, but there are I guess a handful of shows that I watch semi-regularly to regularly. One of these shows is The Talk. It probably seems kind of strange that someone who watches television rarely is into watching a gossipy daytime talk show. But what I like about it is the interesting spin that they put on the gossip. They also seem to select the best and funniest things that have gone on in the last 24 hours. I also like, to a certain extent, the personalities of the hosts (there are some I like more than others).

But when I really do tune out, and even turn the television off, is when the various guests come on in a later segment to promote whatever it is that they are promoting. The reason it turns me off is because of how obviously narcissistic the entertainers are. I realize that entertainers have to have a sort of "out there" kind of personality to be successful. But if I were around that kind of person in my daily life, I would try to avoid them as much as possible to avoid getting sucked into their BS. And, trust me, there are some people that I do know in my real life that I try to expertly avoid so that that doesn't happen. When I say real life, I mean the opposite of internet life as may be obvious. And there are certain actors that I believe to not be narcissists at all. One of the ones that comes to mind is Joaquin Phoenix. He rarely promotes himself (even though he probably should from time to time).

Now, I'm not going to go so far as to say that most actors and musicians are STS. I don't really know if that's true. From what I've learned about the LOO material, it seems to be really hard to develop the purity of negativity to actually be an STS entity. I'm not saying that it's impossible for them to be STS. I'd think that a narcissist has a leg up on the competition for being STS. But that's something that would be really hard to know. It's hard for that person, him or herself, to know since it's virtually impossible to know if you're being 45% STS or 91% STS, for example. I would like to think that I'm STO, but I really don't know. And, to be honest, I'm not obsessed with polarizing (as I've mentioned elsewhere), either way. I don't think it's healthy to be obsessed with that. If you're trying too hard to be STO then you're probably not doing it right.

I guess this is in-between a rant and a stream of consciousness OP. A brain drain, if you will. Just some things that I have been considering and that have fully materialized into words, I guess you could say.
What's your definition of a Narcissist?
(04-09-2015, 04:55 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]What's your definition of a Narcissist?

Somebody who only cares about themselves and wants people to basically go out of their way to "worship" them. I realize that worship is a subjective word.
I'd probably worship even a narcissistic anthro.
(04-09-2015, 05:08 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]I'd probably worship even a narcissistic anthro.

I think that that's sort of different because, in your case, you really like the whole idea of anthros.
(04-09-2015, 05:19 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-09-2015, 05:08 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]I'd probably worship even a narcissistic anthro.

I think that that's sort of different because, in your case, you really like the whole idea of anthros.

But they'd have to be the species of fox, wolf, german shepherd, husky, malamute, or the like. Also called Woofers.

I wouldn't kill for them, but I would probably lay down my life for them.
(04-09-2015, 05:22 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]

But they'd have to be the species of fox, wolf, german shepherd, husky, malamute, or the like. Also called Woofers.

I don't know if a narcissistic anthro would be worth that, GW. You may have to deeply consider your attachment to this whole anthro thing.
(04-09-2015, 05:26 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-09-2015, 05:22 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't know if a narcissistic anthro would be worth that, GW. You may have to deeply consider your attachment to this whole anthro thing.

I don't even value my own life, so it's a fair exchange I say. As long as I'm serving others.
I wouldn't want to suffer though.
But I would much rather lay down my life for a positive being.
If they were positive ET's, not necessarily anthros, I probably would die for them if it helped the world.
(04-09-2015, 05:32 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]But I would much rather lay down my life for a positive being.
If they were positive ET's, not necessarily anthros, I probably would die for them if it helped the world.

I think that you're looking for any excuse to die, Gemini. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Sad
(04-09-2015, 05:35 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-09-2015, 05:32 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]But I would much rather lay down my life for a positive being.

I think that you're looking for any excuse to die, Gemini. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Sad

I don't know but I'm not sad or longing. I'm pretty much at peace.
(04-09-2015, 04:55 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]What's your definition of a Narcissist?

I think generally a narcissist/sociopath/psychopath is someone who has not developed feelings. They don't exist to them. They emulate/simulate because they're incapable of experiencing them.

A truly Service-to-Self, spirited 3D+ entity would experience feelings, and know positive experience, but choose the negative instead out of preference. They would feel the pull of unity, but reject it.
The only way to hit that is to comfront live, in-person. And he will lok at you and basically will be like.. naw, not even worth of hitting your face.
Are Narcissists STS or confused beings?
(04-12-2015, 03:38 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Are Narcissists STS or confused beings?

It depends. I'm going to speak in generalities, but here it goes. I think that if you are a narcissist, but are one not because of any psychological trauma necessarily, then you could be STS. But I would say that if someone is a narcissist because of psychological trauma, that person is probably not well enough integrated to become STS.

That's just something that I could think of off the top of my head. So I hope the experts don't chop my head off. Tongue
How does a narcissist differ from a sociopath? Are all narcissists dangerous to others?
(04-12-2015, 03:48 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]How does a narcissist differ from a sociopath? Are all narcissists dangerous to others?

A narcissist is most interested in praise. Whereas a sociopath is not really a psychological term. A sociopath is a criminological term that refers to someone who is interested in harming someone else. It's a very broad term. I would say that a narcissist is probably not as dangerous to society as a sociopath. A psychopath is similar to the way STS entities are, but there may have been psychological trauma for them becoming a psychopath. They may not be very well integrated. A psychopath is someone who is cold, calculating and manipulative. Not all psychopaths are dangerous.

This is a maybe. I'd like to praise them even if they expected it.
But contrary to what I thought I might not lay down my life for them.

I do have a degree of self respect to preserve.
(04-09-2015, 05:35 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]

I think I'm better now. You can laugh. It was a crazy moment I had.
I think this is a tricky subject (going back to the OP) because being an entertainer can easily be seen as a service-to-others. There's a lot of suffering in the world, and people like movie stars, comedians, and musicians help alleviate the burden of those sufferings. Likewise, a lot of live performers - especially musicians - tend to thrive on the energetic interactions between themselves and their audience. They pump up the crowd, the crowd pumps them up, and it becomes a nice example of the reciprocity of positive energies.

I think, perhaps, one of the most telling things is how well they treat their audience. An entertainer on a generally STO path is going to hold their audience in respect, and honestly seek to put on good shows. The selfish ones will rant about how they "deserve" fame or, say, show up drunk for shows and then yell at the audience.
(04-13-2015, 01:59 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is a tricky subject (going back to the OP) because being an entertainer can easily be seen as a service-to-others.  There's a lot of suffering in the world,  and people like movie stars,  comedians,  and musicians help alleviate the burden of those sufferings.   Likewise,  a lot of live performers - especially musicians -  tend to thrive on the energetic interactions between themselves and their audience.  They pump up the crowd,  the crowd pumps them up,  and it becomes a nice example of the reciprocity of positive energies.

I think,  perhaps,  one of the most telling things is how well they treat their audience.   An entertainer on a generally STO path is going to hold their audience in respect,  and honestly seek to put on good shows.  The selfish ones will rant  about how they "deserve"  fame or,  say,  show up drunk for shows and then yell at the audience.

But I honestly think that it's more subtle than that. I think that the selfish ones will a lot of times pretend to Mr. or Mrs. nice guy or gal, but at the same time they're just telling people what they want to hear so that they're seen as someone deserving respect, as you mentioned. People who are narcissists or psychopaths are crafty, by definition. A lot of times, they're not as dumb as they would people to think sometimes.
Well, it's interesting because it partially involves catalysts and how people respond to them. In theory, if an STS entity spent its life "playing nice" for the sake of living the rock star dream or whatever, while also making music that makes their fans happy, then I'd tend to think this is a net-positive relationship. The music is the catalyst, and their fans are (in this scenario) taking that catalyst and putting it to positive use.

That the STS gets the selfish rock star lifestyle they desire is, if anything, more of a second-tier byproduct of these generally positive interactions.

But then, personally speaking, I tend to think that music is an overwhelmingly positive form of energy exchange and that it's very difficult (although not impossible) to "corrupt" into a negative form. Music-making is an inherently collaborative activity, especially live music in front of a crowd, and I tend to think that collaboration is going to push the energies towards the positive side.

If anything, it might even end up teaching the selfish musician a thing or two about positive interactions. Smile
(04-13-2015, 02:18 AM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: [ -> ]Well,  it's interesting because it partially involves catalysts and how people respond to them.   In theory,  if an STS entity spent its life "playing nice"  for the sake of living the rock star dream or whatever,  while also making music that makes their fans happy,  then I'd tend to think this is a net-positive relationship.   The music is the catalyst,  and their fans are (in this scenario)  taking that catalyst and putting it to positive use.

That the STS gets the selfish rock star lifestyle they desire is,  if anything,  more of a second-tier byproduct of these generally positive interactions.

But then,  personally speaking,  I tend to think that music is an overwhelmingly positive form of energy exchange and that it's very difficult (although not impossible)  to "corrupt"  into a negative form.   Music-making is an inherently collaborative activity, especially live music in front of a crowd,  and I tend to think that collaboration is going to push the energies towards the positive side.

If anything,  it might even end up teaching the selfish musician a thing or two about positive interactions.   Smile

I agree that selfish people are learning to accept others as deserving of respect on this world that we live in. I don't know, I guess the reason I get irked by people who are narcissists is because, in my social circle, there's a whole family that seem to be typical of narcissists, and I can't stand how they tend to get more attention and are at the receiving end of kindness more than the humble people that I know. It just sort of bothers me how people that are not that aware play into their hand so nicely.

But at the same time I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to make a judgement call about whether anyone who appears to be a narcissist is a true STS. While an STS entity, or even a narcissist, is not what I would consider stereotypical evil, if you look closely at my OP I tried hard to make the distinction between someone who was a "narcissist" and someone who is STS.
Do you think Nickelback is a Narcissist?

(04-13-2015, 09:32 AM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think Nickelback is a Narcissist?

I like a lot of Nickelback's music, but I've never really seen any interviews with the lead singer or anything like that. I think that there are a lot of musicians that are sincere people. To me, the ones that seem to have a market on fakeness are actors and actresses. The one that is a narcissist (and even he himself has admitted it) is the comedian Kevin Hart. I remember that in an interview with Oprah he was talking about good-looking he believed he was. I didn't see the whole interview, but I wouldn't be surprised if he talked about how talented he is.
No humans are *that* good looking to me.
I don't think that just because someone is on TV promoting themselves with confidence that they are a narcissist. Firstly, they are actors, so I assume most of the time they are putting on a persona, and most likely reading a script that one of their handlers has given them. If you're looking for the manipulating hands, it would be the machines behind the actors/musicians. Of course, fame-fueled jobs do attract narcissists, but I think you have to be at a really high level for people to put up with you behaving poorly, and in fact I would say that I think most famous actors/musicians are probably push-overs who do whatever is told of them. This is not typical behavior of a narcissist.

As a speculative aside, if you want to find the person most likely to have a PD on The Talk, I'd say it's Sharon Osbourne. She's been Ozzy's handler for most of his career (once the torch was passed from her father, his original manager). He's completely an extension of her personality at this point (narcissistic traits). But again, just speculation. I don't actually watch the show.
(04-14-2015, 09:52 AM)Jade Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that just because someone is on TV promoting themselves with confidence that they are a narcissist. Firstly, they are actors, so I assume most of the time they are putting on a persona, and most likely reading a script that one of their handlers has given them. If you're looking for the manipulating hands, it would be the machines behind the actors/musicians. Of course, fame-fueled jobs do attract narcissists, but I think you have to be at a really high level for people to put up with you behaving poorly, and in fact I would say that I think most famous actors/musicians are probably push-overs who do whatever is told of them. This is not typical behavior of a narcissist.

As a speculative aside, if you want to find the person most likely to have a PD on The Talk, I'd say it's Sharon Osbourne. She's been Ozzy's handler for most of his career (once the torch was passed from her father, his original manager). He's completely an extension of her personality at this point (narcissistic traits). But again, just speculation. I don't actually watch the show.

On the show, she seems like the most aggressive person there. She's always talking about how assertive she is and stuff. She's not my favorite one. I sort of like Sara Gilbert. She seems like the smartest one on the panel. And it's not just because she's vegan. She seems like she can carry her own in a really meaningful conversation. She's really funny too.

About what you said about celebrities and narcissists, I think that it's not good to generalize and say that all celebrities are narcissists. I just don't really find narcissists that charming. Which is ironic since they think so highly of themselves. Especially not charming enough to hear them speak. One thing that I notice about narcissists is that they love it when people think that they're hilarious. When people are laughing at their jokes, they just swell up with pride. It sounds like I'm really obsessed with hating on celebrities, but when they come on shows like The Talk, I simply turn off the TV. In a battle between the TV and the internet, the internet always wins for me. There's more information here. Even if the information is just from interacting with others, like here. I'm never bored.