Bring4th

Full Version: Aversion to rules
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Something I was thinking about on the way to work today is my lack of acceptance regarding rules. Not just big rules but any rule that goes against my own internal judgement of how I choose to live my life or how I do my job. Little things like a policy at work where we can't sit and be on our phones when there isn't anything to do. Yet It would be completely ok to be sitting twiddling my thumbs but at soon as the phone comes out "Oh no its against policy" and other ridiculously corporate crap is flung. 

Sometimes little rules like this really get to me to the point that it angers me and anger is a very rare occurrence in my life nowadays. 

Its obviously some form of acceptance issue but I feel as if "Da man is tryin to hold meh down" lol. Maybe it stems of immaturity but mainly it stems from I don't believe in rules that lack logic. I'm perfectly capable of following rules when they make sense but illogical ones based upon subjective perceptions of right and wrong irk me to no end 
What rules are not based on subjective perceptions of right and wrong?

Might ask yourself why it is the small stuff which angers you. I see it as no different really than 'house rules' you would respect when going to someone else's home. They might not have the same rules around their house as you do but you are considerate of them because it is not your home. I view work in the same way. It's not 'my home' so I do not make the rules and neither do I have the right to make the rules. I do however have the choice of how I will accommodate those rules. Typically if the rules at a workplace become too suffocating I move to a new job situation where I am more at peace or at least more comfortable.

That being said, I have a 'stupid' phone which doesn't do anything but text, so I admit I don't have much experience in the field of fiddling on your phone. However I can say that when you are in the middle of working, even if it's not busy, and you see people constantly floating back to their phones it gets a little frustrating especially when you do suddenly get busy (I work in a restaurant).

Of course, your work environment may be less public and less active, so it may be more reasonable to doodle on your phone without neglecting work, but I imagine that the reason most of those companies have those rules is because they are paying you for that time and most people don't believe in paying for people to entertain themselves with their phones. It's a silly standard, of course, because it comes down to the 'appearance' of productivity which is what corporations want.
Yea the main issue is the productivity aspect I believe. But like i said, it would be perfectly acceptable to sit in the same seat which is out of site from the public and twiddle my thumbs but the simple addition of the phone is where it crosses the line. That in and of itself makes no sense hence the annoyance. I rarely if ever have anger or even annoyance in any aspect of my life so obviously this is something I should pay attention to.

I'm an xray tech so there are periods of downtime where we can go 30 minutes without a thing to do.
Well, what about it makes no sense? What do you think they were thinking when the instituted that rule?

What do you think they would say if you were to instead do something like, say, read a book or do sudoku?
That's the hilarious thing. The are ok reading a book or simply sitting there. Its perceived as unprofessional to sit on your phone but not to read a book
Jeremy, I can completely relate. I am equally averse to rules that impinge on my freedom to no benefit. I think it's different from being at someone's house; if someone randomly asked you to hop on one foot while you're there, it would not be reasonable or conducive to both parties feeling happy. Ultimately it's aversion to unreasonable exercise of power that only serves one party's interests, I think.
(05-04-2015, 03:05 PM)Jeremy Wrote: [ -> ]That's the hilarious thing. The are ok reading a book or simply sitting there. Its perceived as unprofessional to sit on your phone but not to read a book

Why do you think that is?
(05-04-2015, 03:20 PM)Stranger Wrote: [ -> ]Jeremy, I can completely relate.  I am equally averse to rules that impinge on my freedom to no benefit.  I think it's different from being at someone's house; if someone randomly asked you to hop on one foot while you're there, it would not be reasonable or conducive to both parties feeling happy.  Ultimately it's aversion to unreasonable exercise of power that only serves one party's interests, I think.

I would ask them if they are also going to be hopping on one foot. If they don't follow their own rules, that's a different story.

Isn't an aversion an attempt to grasp power in some way? To some way protest?
(05-04-2015, 03:25 PM)Tan.rar Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't an aversion an attempt to grasp power in some way? To some way protest?

Yes, to restore equality.

Fundamentally, limits imposed on one's freedom that are perceived as unjustified or arbitrary are aversive. In the corporate world, this can often be intensified by the feeling that one is a "human resource" that is being utilized or exploited (isn't that what one does with resources?) for corporate benefit. Language often reveals truth.
(05-04-2015, 03:31 PM)Stranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2015, 03:25 PM)Tan.rar Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't an aversion an attempt to grasp power in some way? To some way protest?

Yes, to restore equality.

Isn't that equality based on the standard of the individual though? Would it then serve the interests of both parties or instead simply make yourself the one party that benefits? Or perhaps rather to make it so no party's interests are benefited and thus 'equal'?
I fail to see how the concerns you're expressing apply to the actual situation Jeremy described - being unable to use his cell phone in his free time.
My point is that his time there is not simply his free time, he is being paid for it and while perhaps he might decide to do this job even if he weren't paid the fact is that there is an exchange taking place. It appears to me that the issue isn't just the fact that there are rules that one doesn't think make sense, it seems to me that he may in fact simply be bored and that the reason he is finding annoyance in this situation is because of that boredom, that restlessness that needs something to focus on. Since the phone is something he 'not allowed' to do, instead the energy focuses on the next best thing - being annoyed with that which apparently restricts him.

The phone is actually just something which is representative. It is something which means something in each and everyone's life. I think that this situation is a mirror or reflection of something deeper which is going on inside of Jeremy. Perhaps for Jeremy his phone represents a certain connectivity that he feels restricted from when he is not allowed to access it.

My concerns arise from the fact that the focus seems to be on 'regaining power' or 'establishing balance' from one's own standpoint only without consideration for the fact that there are others involved.

Note: Of course, I am just philosophizing, I am not trying to 'pin' Jeremy's experience down or anything, just sharing my thoughts on the situation, right or wrong as they may be.
On a personally related note I lost my phone last night and experienced a sort of 'disconnect anxiety' over being unable to communicate with others as I needed to.
Quite perceptive indeed. I am attached at the hip when it comes to my phone and more so than I should be but yea I am ever restless when doing nothing as many of the conversations at work during downtime are quite trivial or negative in nature so I distract myself with my phone soaking up any info I can. I Find the type of communication and information online much more to my liking therefore I often retreat into it rather than be subjected to the constant negativity or gossiping that occurs.

Oh and I agree about the separation anxiety as I forgot my phone Saturday in our way to an amusement park. During the first 10 minutes, I could literally feel anxiety building lol then it subsided. It was definitely a humbling experience and a lesson that I need to detach from it. I'm one though that craves information and learning so having so much potential info at my fingertips is both a blessing and a curse.
Perhaps you could place that in the context of what your work, or employment in general, really means to you?