Bring4th

Full Version: Skinny people have fast metabolisms? Think again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I'm sure we all know someone who CLAIMS they can eat whatever they want, how much they want, and not gain weight. They boast that they have fast metabolisms and remain skinny throughout life. My sister used to be like this in her teens and 20s, always claiming she had a fast metabolism. While in my teens, I was between 260-270 lbs. I'd always wonder, "why am I so fat???"

Well, I am happy to say (as well as science), that skinny people DO NOT have fast metabolisms at all.  The amount of calories required to sustain their size is far less than an overweight/obese person.

So why are skinny people skinny throughout life? Well, because they simply don't eat a lot of calories. There can be absolutely no way a person of normal or even underweight can eat around 2000+ calories and still maintain that figure, even with regular exercise. My roommate is a perfect example of this. Since I have lived in this house for almost 3 years, I have literally seen this kid only eat a handful of times.....no lie!! He drinks lots of beer though, but cans of beer are only slightly over 100 calories per can. This is actually extremely dangerous. Common sense will tell you not to drink that much alcohol, but when your diet primarily consists of alcohol, your liver is pretty much well f**ked.

So the next time some skinny person rubs that in your face, you can be glad to tell them they are full of BS. Smile Tell them to consume 2500 calories a day, even with exercise, and we'll see how long that skinny figure lasts.

As for me, yes I love to eat and that will never change. Although I'm down to 160 lbs now, I still have to count calories and I've accepted that this is the way it will have to be throughout the rest of my life here. Hey, if thats what it takes to remain at a healthy weight, so be it.  For me, being "full" consists of the numerical estimate of calories I consume, not the actual amount of food I eat or even if I feel full. If I ate 1700 calories day, and still feel hungry, I will not eat. If I ate only 1100 calories so far and I feel full, I am still going to eat.
I have two questions. 1) How tall are you? B. Are you male or female?
this is bullpoop. i don't understand y ur posting such lies.
Lighthead and Bluebell, please do this:

Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate using the BMR calculator. Simply put in your height, current weight, and gender. That's the amount of calories you would burn doing nothing all day. Now.....just increase the weight by about 100 pounds............you will find your body MUST BURN more calories in order to function. Being fat costs calories, as well as money. Most obese people blame their obesity on their metabolisms, when in reality they simply eat too much and its their overall lifestyle that made them that way.

If you're fat, you have absolutely no one to blame but yourself. You're fat because you made yourself that way.

Yes, common sense hurts sometimes.

[Image: Where-Do-Fat-People-Get-Their-Genetics.jpg]
I don't know why you're lumping me in with making rude questions. All I was doing was acting two questions. They were quite neutral in fact.
I eat very poorly, not so much recently but it takes me quite a lot of to actually gain weight.

The only period I've gained weight, I had to constantly be eating inbetween meals in addition to eating a few extra meals. It took a very long time to build up fat (a few years) and just by eating regular meals I lost it all in a few months.
(05-24-2015, 07:17 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]I eat very poorly, not so much recently but it takes me quite a lot of to actually gain weight.

The only period I've gained weight, I had to constantly be eating inbetween meals in addition to eating a few extra meals. It took a very long time to build up fat (a few years) and just by eating regular meals I lost it all in a few months.

But how many calories are you eating a day? It's all about calories, not the actual volume of food that determines if you're eating too much. Also, are you physically active during the day and do you or don't you have a sedentary job (office)?

I work in an office and there are TONS (no pun intended) of fat people there. It's disgusting. It's my observation that thin people have a different mentality when it comes to food too. Thats why they don't eat a lot and most eat very slow. They tend to greatly underestimate the calories they consume. They just have different eating habits.

Lighthead, I didn't mean to be rude. My apologies. I'm 5'9/male/aged 32. My BMI is 23.6 (normal weight for my height) and my BMR is 1,721 calories a day based on my height/weight/age/gender. In order for me to keep losing weight, I must eat about 300-400 calories below that. Now if I was 16 years old again and weighed 260 pounds, my BMR would be 2,453 calories a day. And yes, I did meet/exceed those calories at that age.
I think you're right that people typically get overweight simply from eating too much (& usually it's too much of the wrong kind of foods) & then blame it on a slow metabolism...but I always thought that metabolic rates can vary significantly.

I've always blamed my skinniness (& always-hungriness) on an abnormally fast metabolism...but it's true that I've never counted the calories so I very well could just underestimate the amount of calories I consume.

I watched some show one time, maybe it was an episode of Oprah or something like that, where a morbidly obese person was telling how much they usually eat for breakfast & etc & I was horrified by the quantity.
(05-24-2015, 08:00 PM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-24-2015, 07:17 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]I eat very poorly, not so much recently but it takes me quite a lot of to actually gain weight.

But how many calories are you eating a day? It's all about calories, not the actual volume of food that determines if you're eating too much. Also, are you physically active during the day and do you or don't you have a sedentary job (office)?

I work in an office and there are TONS (no pun intended) of fat people there. It's disgusting. It's my observation that thin people have a different mentality when it comes to food too. Thats why they don't eat a lot and most eat very slow. They tend to greatly underestimate the calories they consume. They just have different eating habits.

Lighthead, I didn't mean to be rude. My apologies. I'm 5'9/male/aged 32. My BMI is 23.6 (normal weight for my height) and my BMR is 1,721 calories a day based on my height/weight/age/gender. In order for me to keep losing weight, I must eat about 300-400 calories below that. Now if I was 16 years old again and weighed 260 pounds, my BMR would be 2,453 calories a day. And yes, I did meet/exceed those calories at that age.

I do no physical activities whatsoever and do have an office job. I'm not currently eating a lot and I never counted calories but do eat/drink things with a lot of calories mostly as I have no regard for my health.

In the past I've been known to have up to 3 or 4 stomacs (manner of speech) and it took me a 2-3 years to go from 150 pounds to 190 pounds. Then by eating more normally because of my ex-girlfriend, I had went back to 140 pounds in 2-3 months without being active so much. When I was gaining weight, I ate at least 4 meals a day which were high calories. Poutine, fries, breakfasts in restaurants, etc.

I still do eat a lot on meals but do not eat inbetween.

I'm going to turn 24 in a few days, if that makes all I said irrelevant to you.
I have a friend who told me there are 4 types of metabolism in humans. I don't recall much of what he said, his source was his brother who studied this in Kinesiology. But the point was that not all bodies react in the same manner to food.

If I remember well my body type was one that does not store excess fat for the purpose of storing it. It takes what it needs instead when eating.
(05-24-2015, 08:00 PM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]

No worries. I'm not an expert, and I don't want to turn you off to staying thin, but 160 seems pretty skinny for someone your height. But now that I think about it, that could be right. I'm 6'3" and I'm supposed to be about 190 minimum. So yeah, that sounds right. And yes, I did have that realization in real-time.  Tongue
I'm 5'9", 24 years old, 145 pounds. I'm rather skinny.
(05-24-2015, 11:01 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]I'm 5'9", 24 years old, 145 pounds. I'm rather skinny.

Wow, you're really thin. I'm overweight. I used to be borderline overweight and obese, but on the obese side.
OP, for the most part I'll agree that the term "metabolism" as we use it is probably incorrect or misunderstood. I don't see metabolism as being, for example, a number on a sliding scale that dictates how fast you burn energy and thus how thin you are.

Instead, what we're probably actually referring to when we're talking of a fast or slow metabolism, is actually a system of things: the kind of food we eat, how much we eat, habits of physical activity, etc.

I love vegetables and have never had a sweet tooth, can't stand things like soda etc, avoid carbs and starches. I also love physical activity and exercise. My diet is mostly (70%) vegetables. I have to eat a lot to maintain my weight.

I say I have a "fast metabolism" and I don't think this usage is wrong, necessarily, just a simpler and more succinct way of describing the state of my habits and the health of my body. Of course if I was to radically change my diet/lifestyle for the worse, my body would not be as healthy as it is.

The thing is, I think the healthier we eat, the more optimally our bodies are able to derive nutrients and burn energy from our meals. So at a certain point, the usage of "fast metabolism" is actually appropriate, IMO.

Question for you: do you believe that every person's body functions exactly the same? That we all derive the same amount of nutrients from a given meal, and store exactly same amount of fat, etc? Do you think our diet/health history play a role in how our bodies function?

There's this idea that has been termed "calorie in, calorie out," or the idea that all calories are equal regardless of what form they come in. To clarify -- do you agree with this idea? More succinctly, do you see a difference between 2000 calories of broccoli versus 2000 calories of candy, or is it all the same to you?
(05-24-2015, 06:12 PM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Lighthead and Bluebell, please do this:

Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate using the BMR calculator. Simply put in your height, current weight, and gender. That's the amount of calories you would burn doing nothing all day. Now.....just increase the weight by about 100 pounds............you will find your body MUST BURN more calories in order to function. Being fat costs calories, as well as money. Most obese people blame their obesity on their metabolisms, when in reality they simply eat too much and its their overall lifestyle that made them that way.

If you're fat, you have absolutely no one to blame but yourself. You're fat because you made yourself that way.

Yes, common sense hurts sometimes.

i don't care about that s***. ur obsessed & think everyone else is. ur being unscientific & irrational. not to mention offensive & rude. it's really annoying.
There are many things to be considered in weight, both physiological, emotional, and even other considerations.

1. Hormones, at different stages of life, can change weight status. I have friends who are menopausal. It doesn't matter what they eat their bodies store fat. This is because fat makes estrogen, which is depleted in their bodies.

2. Emotionally, people will put on weight for protection. Many men, for instance, will put weight on around their hearts and stomachs (feelings and heart feelings). Many women put weight on around hips and thighs (sexuality and survival). 

3. Whatever the habits are or emotional eating is that leads to obesity, there may also be that element of creating a barrier of protection against the world and all the hurt in it.

4. A psychic friend of mine claims that many psychics are heavy to keep themselves energetically grounded to the planet. 

There are always other levels of imbalance going on, at least emotionally, that contribute to out-of-balance weight. The prompts and emotional and otherwise reasons to overeat or eat unhealthy comfort foods, are an aspect which must be considered along with the physical sequences of taking in foods.
Fat is energy, the body is designed to use, transmute and transfer energy, energy that is not used is stored as fat for future use. This is a pretty simple ratio, but one must consider that the energy we use or don't use isn't only used physically. I believe it's possible to become overweight because of holding on to things even if on a mental or emotional level.

Diana, to your last one there, I would mention that I have seen in many cases that holding weight on is something empaths do as a form of emotional and physical shielding due to the sensitivity towards others. I think that it isn't very uncommon for overweight individuals to also be holding on to internal suffering and pain. The body fat essentially becomes an 'armour' for the self.
That being said, I am one of those individuals who is skinny regardless of what I eat but I probably also do not eat that much in general and I walk, walk, walk, everywhere, do qi gong and meditate lots so that probably also plays a role. However, I have always been of the same build, and I am almost the exact same as my Dad whom certainly eats a lot more than I do.
I barely eat 1000 calories in a day, and yet I'm fat. And I'm 5'10.5" tall, 260 pounds.
(05-25-2015, 09:10 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]I barely eat 1000 calories in a day, and yet I'm fat. And I'm 5'10.5" tall, 260 pounds.

Wow, you're pretty big. I'm 6'3" and 240 roughly. It must be your medicine because you look skinnier in those pictures.
(05-25-2015, 03:42 PM)Tan.rar Wrote: [ -> ]I would mention that I have seen in many cases that holding weight on is something empaths do as a form of emotional and physical shielding due to the sensitivity towards others.

i've always done that. i feel more comfortable subconsciously w added padding. not physically but otherwise. is it about grounding?
Why does no one ever consider long term effects of Genetically Modified Organism based foods?  Or the overall added damage of artificial flavorings, coloring, ingredients, preserved with chemicals.

And in produce covered in layer after layer of all manner of ...pesticides and weed killer.

If your organs are damaged from bad food intake, you'll need to detox a bit to kick start health regain starting with the stomach and intestines.  If they're clogged or not processing properly, that could be an issue of up to just 40 pounds alone in stored waste, and possible continual weight gain.

Otherwise, metabolism is a consideration, calories can be a moderate overall consideration for some but not all, and isn't an excuse to avoid healthy food.

Eat better food, avoid poisons and chemicals and artificial stuff and GMO produce.  Oh.  And thank your food!!  It has feelings too you know!
that's absolutely true! just eating clean helps immeasurably.

i would drop my extra weight really fast (i gain & lose fat like Flash, i wonder y?) if i just dropped all alcohol from my diet. i might have to resort to that soon because i get exhausted walking around town, i feel like a granny LOL. some guy asked me if i was ok because i had to stop after climbing some steps. i'm not obese but i guess 32 isn't a spring chicken. i used to be able to lug around more fat than this. just 2 weeks off alcohol would make a big difference.
(05-26-2015, 07:45 AM)Bluebell Wrote: [ -> ]that's absolutely true! just eating clean helps immeasurably.

i would drop my extra weight really fast (i gain & lose fat like Flash, i wonder y?) if i just dropped all alcohol from my diet. i might have to resort to that soon because i get exhausted walking around town, i feel like a granny LOL. some guy asked me if i was ok because i had to stop after climbing some steps. i'm not obese but i guess 32 isn't a spring chicken. i used to be able to lug around more fat than this. just 2 weeks off alcohol would make a big difference.

I'm going to have to stop after this bottle because I promised my mom I would. I sometimes get tired taking out the trash.
Next month I'll be 38, so not so young either.
The degree in which food effects your weight is more emotional/mental than it is physical.

Matter is a subset of consciousness. Your belief system determines how easy/hard you put on weight. The food, after all, is an illusion.

It's the exact same mechanism that proved guilty smokers are far more likely to develop cancer than happy smokers. Never (ever) ingest anything when you're in a negative state of being. Find a positive place, be thankful for the food (or whatever).

I have a life-long belief system that I can eat anything and my body will simply only use and retain what it needs. You would (seriously) not believe how many people have said to me over the years 'How on earth are you so slim, yet eat all that?'.
(05-29-2015, 02:57 PM)Namaste Wrote: [ -> ]The degree in which food effects your weight is more emotional/mental than it is physical.

Matter is a subset of consciousness. Your belief system determines how easy/hard you put on weight. The food, after all, is an illusion.

It's the exact same mechanism that proved guilty smokers are far more likely to develop cancer than happy smokers. Never (ever) ingest anything when you're in a negative state of being. Find a positive place, be thankful for the food (or whatever).

I have a life-long belief system that I can eat anything and my body will simply only use and retain what it needs. You would (seriously) not believe how many people have said to me over the years 'How on earth are you so slim, yet eat all that?'.

That's pretty much what Jesus had to say in the bible regarding what one eats. That those weak in faith should abstain from what they fear.
My meds make me fat. I went from 180 to 260 in a couple of years on them. Even with no belief in that.
You then believe those meds make you fat.

Are you aware of the nature of time/eternity? The past is as flexible as the future.

Your current belief is the cause, nothing else. Change it :¬)
The simple 'people are fat because they eat too much' was deemed obsolete decades ago. Yes, for many people, they are fat because they eat too much, and they eat junk. That's usually how it starts. But then, once they get fat and start dieting, the dieting itself often slows down their metabolism. THEN, they are unable to lose weight, no matter how much or how little they eat. This happened to me. I couldn't lose weight even when FASTING! No food at all, just water and a bit of vegetable juice for 3 weeks, and guess how much weight I lost? NONE. Once people get to the point of sluggish metabolism, reducing calories is the worst possible approach because all it does is slow down the metabolism further. Then, by that time, the hormones are also involved...did you know that weight loss occurs during sleep? and only during certain hours of sleep, and only if you get more than 7 hours of sleep? Then there's the acidity factor...and the calcium factor...weight loss won't occur if the person is acidic, or deficient in calcium, no matter how much or how little they eat, and no matter how much they exercise. Oh and let's not forget the emotional factor! Sometimes excess fat is an emotional barrier, a protection against something. Or there might be some other psychological issue. It might be a karmic issue...it might be a breathing issue. THEN there is the gut bacteria issue. They did studies where they took the gut bacteria from the thin twin and gave it to the fat twin, and the fat twin lost weight! (But other than eating thin people's poop, HOW do you develop the right bacteria? Than, how do you get them to proliferate?) My sister eats junk but she can lose weight just by walking 1 mile 3x/week. I should be skinny, the way I eat, plus I exercise a lot. What's the difference here? It's a complex issue and NOT as simple as "oh just count your calories." That might work when you're young and even then, only if you have been an over-eater and haven't dieted much before, sure. But for older people who've dieted a lot, nope, that will only make it worse.
(05-29-2015, 03:09 PM)Gemini Wolf Wrote: [ -> ]My meds make me fat. I went from 180 to 260 in a couple of years on them. Even with no belief in that.

I'll elaborate on that previous comment GW.

As you know, linear time is an illusion. Our minds, even while understanding that notion intellectually, often fail to understand it experientially.

The life you look back on - your past - is not linear. It doesn't even exist, as only the now moment exists. When we change belief systems in the eternal now, the past that we remember as linear also changes. It does this because it has to; it reflects the state of being you encompass in the eternal now.

Today you may 'remember' a past that is vastly different to the one you remembered 'yesterday', and you'll never know it, because it's always 'right', whatever it is.

Hence, if you, right now, believe that the pills make you fat, they do - and your illusory past will reflect that.

When you change that belief - deep down at its core - your past will reflect that change. It has to, it's cosmic law.

You'll want to work first on the belief that the past can change, as without that, any attempts to change it will fail. Once you truly believe it's possible (which is easy, because anything is possible), you can start to work on the surrounding beliefs (i.e. the pills).

Have fun changing 'history' :¬)
Pages: 1 2