Bring4th

Full Version: [split] "can't get into Doctor Who"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-24-2015, 10:41 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2015, 08:19 PM)Monica Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe there are already some here, but does anyone recommend a good time-travel or alternate-reality flick? One without too much gratuitous violence. I like movies about alternate realities, other dimensions, etc. Like The Matrix but without all the violence. Some that come to mind are What Dreams May Come, The Butterfly Effect, The 13th Floor...

I don't keep up with movies much so I've probably missed a lot of good ones.

It's not a movie but Doctor Who.

I don't know what it is, but I can't get into Doctor Who. I don't know if it's because it's so steeped in a culture that I find it hard to relate to (Great Britain).

But on the other hand, I don't think that that's true because there are plenty of British films that I like. I just saw a great one recently called, Happy-Go-Lucky. I thoroughly enjoyed that. I even consider it to be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It's certainly one of the funniest.

Maybe I just haven't given it a chance.
(06-24-2015, 11:19 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2015, 10:41 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2015, 08:19 PM)Monica Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe there are already some here, but does anyone recommend a good time-travel or alternate-reality flick? One without too much gratuitous violence. I like movies about alternate realities, other dimensions, etc. Like The Matrix but without all the violence. Some that come to mind are What Dreams May Come, The Butterfly Effect, The 13th Floor...

I don't keep up with movies much so I've probably missed a lot of good ones.

It's not a movie but Doctor Who.

I don't know what it is, but I can't get into Doctor Who. I don't know if it's because it's so steeped in a culture that I find it hard to relate to (Great Britain).

But on the other hand, I don't think that that's true because there are plenty of British films that I like. I just saw a great one recently called, Happy-Go-Lucky. I thoroughly enjoyed that. I even consider it to be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. It's certainly one of the funniest.

Maybe I just haven't given it a chance.

I had a hard time to get myself to like it at first, especially the first season (2005 not 1963). Watched it for the third time just before the 9th season started and I like it more each time it seems, maybe because you get to see old doctors that "died".

They keep a lot from the old style, the show could've been better if they didn't do that but that would be betraying their long time fans.
The thing with Doctor Who is that it has been so many different shows over the years. Every time it gets a new Showrunner/ Head Writer or new Doctor-actor, the show pretty much gets rebooted into something that only barely has any resemblance to what came before besides making token attempts to maintain continuity. It's often infuriating to fans, but also helps maintain the show's longevity. Doctor Who can freely reinvent itself to fit the audience's changing moods and ideals, year after year.

I tend to suggest that people who are interested don't just look at the new show, but also look at some materials from the past. Especially, I think that the Third, Fourth, and Seventh Doctor stories can still hold up quite well today, and also illustrate just how wildly the tone/focus of the show can shift over the years.
Dalek Reality Bomb to end all Creation as they live on in a Void Ship.

How can you NOT LOVE THIS STUFF? ???

Its a bit hard at first, but watch it with an open mind. (Or on weed). It gets really deep if you can get passed the oddity of the Doctor and the Villians... and the odd tension between every woman inThat show.
So many great episodes. The episode with Van Gogh is one of my favorite, an heartbreaking one.

I tried watching the classic episodes but at some point they were reconstructions with still images and the audio which made me drop it. I had found a torrent with them all though so I might give it a new try.
(06-25-2015, 06:26 AM)VanAlioSaldo Wrote: [ -> ]Dalek Reality Bomb to end all Creation as they live on in a Void Ship.

How can you NOT LOVE THIS STUFF? ???

Its a bit hard at first, but watch it with an open mind.  (Or on weed).  It gets really deep if you can get passed the oddity of the Doctor and the Villians...  and the odd tension between every woman inThat show.

I think that I didn't like it because I saw an episode or two where the special effects weren't that great. And the time of those episodes were when US series's special effects were the bomb. So it seemed strange that such a huge show couldn't afford decent special effects. That was like in 2007 if I remember correctly. I'm very rough with the year. It could have been a repeat from before that.
[Image: christopher-eccleston-doctor-who-50th-an...ry-bbc.jpg]

Was it this Doctor?
(06-25-2015, 02:31 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ][Image: christopher-eccleston-doctor-who-50th-an...ry-bbc.jpg]

Was it this Doctor?

It wasn't him. I'm going to see if I can find who it was on Wikipedia. And it couldn't have been Christopher Eccleston because I really like his acting.
(06-25-2015, 02:36 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]It wasn't him. I'm going to see if I can find who it was on Wikipedia. And it couldn't have been Christopher Eccleston because I really like his acting.

As the doctor, he'd say "Fantastic" to you liking him haha. He's only been in the first season of the new show. 

It's probably the second (tenth) doctor as he's been there for the next three season (including 2007). I loved that one.

[Image: David-as-The-Doctor-david-tennant-694333_1024_768.jpg]
I think that it may have been the season with David Tennant.
(06-25-2015, 02:39 PM)Minyatur Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-25-2015, 02:36 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]It wasn't him. I'm going to see if I can find who it was on Wikipedia. And it couldn't have been Christopher Eccleston because I really like his acting.

As the doctor, he'd say "Fantastic" to you liking him haha. He's only been in the first season of the new show. 

It's probably the second (tenth) doctor as he's been there for the next three season (including 2007). I loved that one.

[Image: David-as-The-Doctor-david-tennant-694333_1024_768.jpg]

That's the one.
And it wasn't necessarily David Tennant's acting. Like I said, I just didn't like the special effects. It seemed like they were dealing with some kind of puppetry from what I remember.
Honestly no idea what people's issues are with graphics.

Its like not trying an incredible game cause the graphics aint up to par (See: Fallout 4 Game Models).

Or like saying forrest gump sucks bevause the napalm scene looked painfully fake. Or the matrix sucked cause the mirror scene's graphics are no longer good.

Judge by looks, you're missing out on a lot. Don't.judge a book by its cover, dont judge a movie by its graphics (unless its literally just terrible, See: Most SyFy Original Movies....)

Why you deny yaself such Love? Tongue
Though to be fair Light.

Some of the makeup designs on the show really threw me off here and there. It is hard to get by..
(06-26-2015, 04:10 AM)VanAlioSaldo Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly no idea what people's issues are with graphics.

Its like not trying an incredible game cause the graphics aint up to par (See: Fallout 4 Game Models).

Or like saying forrest gump sucks bevause the napalm scene looked painfully fake. Or the matrix sucked cause the mirror scene's graphics are no longer good.

Judge by looks, you're missing out on a lot. Don't.judge a book by its cover, dont judge a movie by its graphics (unless its literally just terrible, See: Most SyFy Original Movies....)

Why you deny yaself such Love? Tongue

I don't really have a problem with the low budget if they're dealing with a low budget. I would just like to see them work well with what they have. And I have to be honest, I didn't really see loads and loads of episodes. I just saw that one and the puppetry looked like something a kindergartener could do. I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for saying that, but that was just my appraisal of it.