Bring4th

Full Version: Asttrology, and the reclassification of Pluto
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Astrologers - question:

what are the implications of science reclassifying Pluto as a non-planet?
I don't think any, for most astrologers. Many use the "lesser" planets with accuracy anyway, like Ceres and Eris, etc. Pluto still has an undeniable gravitational effect on our planetary system.
I agree. I don't think it really makes a difference. I remember that when it happened, they were doing this big news story about how astrologers everywhere were pissed off. But, at the very least, I don't think that those "astrologers" really thought deeply about the supposed implications at the time.
In astrology, planets are not necessarily seen for their physical properties but as a symbolism, thus 'planetary symbolism'. For every significant planet/astroids we find, we find relevant symbolisms that reflect aspects of our self. So, whether astronomers classify or de-classify, these symbolisms have no effect in them. 

I really love this guy:

Quote:The decision to create this new category and to re-classify Pluto is astrologically significant because it now serves as a formal invitation to astrologers to consider these newly discovered bodies (aspects of self) just as we consider Pluto and its psychophysiological resonance in our lives. Thus, Pluto's demotion is not shrinking the importance of Pluto, it is placing Pluto's role in our lives into a more embracing context. It demands we expand our perception and our astrological explorations to include these multi-plutonian-facets of our very makeup. It also invites astrologers to consider the influence that was attributed solely to Pluto can now be seen in more clarity by examining the newly discovered dwarf planets that may have been conjoining Pluto at any given time.
 http://www.lunarplanner.com/Snippets/sni...uto-D.html
I agree with metieta about the symbolism.

Here's my take on it. Everything that happens on the world stage with Pluto is merely symbolic of humanity's relationship with Pluto. Pluto is said to be a very powerful planet (astrologically), but it works behind the scenes. And it's very easy to underestimate Pluto, but just when you do your whole life is disassembled, reassembled and completely made new. That's the same with the IAU. They have underestimated Pluto based upon its physical properties, but they have no idea of the hidden strength and potential of this powerful, generational planet. Just to give you an idea, Pluto is said to rule nuclear power (not just power, but radiation, detonation, physics...all of it). It seems very unlikely that something as small as the nucleus of an atom could cause such widespread devastation, but it does. Same thing with Pluto. It's very easy to underestimate it.
(07-14-2015, 01:05 PM)Lighthead Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with metieta about the symbolism. 

Here's my take on it. Everything that happens on the world stage with Pluto is merely symbolic of humanity's relationship with Pluto. Pluto is said to be a very powerful planet (astrologically), but it works behind the scenes. And it's very easy to underestimate Pluto, but just when you do your whole life is disassembled, reassembled and completely made new. That's the same with the IAU. They have underestimated Pluto based upon its physical properties, but they have no idea of the hidden strength and potential of this powerful, generational planet. Just to give you an idea, Pluto is said to rule nuclear power (not just power, but radiation, detonation, physics...all of it). It seems very unlikely that something as small as the nucleus of an atom could cause such widespread devastation, but it does. Same thing with Pluto. It's very easy to underestimate it.
yep. Discovered in 1930s, right before WWII & eventual bombing of Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

Power (and tools to gain power like nuclear warheads), the establishment, big business, banking/financial power, sex, male chauvinism, patriarchal dominance, obsession (but not neurotic like Sappho), destruction, death/re-birth, domination, upheaval of change... Also depth, deep, great, powerful, profound. Some say invisible part of your psyche (unconscious).

If we reject symbolism bc it's a brown dwarf what would we be ignoring and denying about our selves (bc pluto is rather 'invisible'):p Imagine, endless wheels of karma turning. eek.

I have moon (cancer) square pluto (0 degree orb) in 8th... and transmitting pluto opposition nation moon lol I love/hate pluto. Healing lessons of pluto can be amazing.
(07-14-2015, 02:00 PM)metieta Wrote: [ -> ]yep. Discovered in 1930s, right before WWII & eventual bombing of Hiroshima/Nagasaki.

Power (and tools to gain power like nuclear warheads), the establishment, big business, banking/financial power, sex, male chauvinism, patriarchal dominance, obsession (but not neurotic like Sappho), destruction, death/re-birth, domination, upheaval of change... Also depth, deep, great, powerful, profound. Some say invisible part of your psyche (unconscious).

If we reject symbolism bc it's a brown dwarf what would we be ignoring and denying about our selves (bc pluto is rather 'invisible'):p Imagine, endless wheels of karma turning. eek.

I have moon (cancer) square pluto (0 degree orb) in 8th... and transmitting pluto opposition nation moon lol I love/hate pluto. Healing lessons of pluto can be amazing.

I think that it's safe to say that my favorite planet is Pluto. Maybe it's because I'm a Scorpio, I don't know. But I really do think that it's the best in a lot of ways. Best and better are subjective terms. But I really am fascinated by Pluto.

I've also been getting into Saturn a lot lately. I'm starting to see that aspects to Saturn are really important in a chart. To say nothing of transits.
(07-14-2015, 09:45 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]Astrologers - question:

what are the implications of science reclassifying Pluto as a non-planet?

None. It's still a celestial body with an energy signature interacting with other energies in the same way it always has.

This is just science focusing on minutiae. 
My views on Saturn symbolism align w/ Magi astrologer, who kind of see it as a really malignant symbol. Great teacher and ass-kicker. 

Pluto ain't so happy lol:
[Image: Bq73vnu.png]
That's a funny meme, Met. Wink

Edit: Great description of Saturn, by the way.