Bring4th

Full Version: Asimov's "The Last Question"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some of us may have already read this story, but I'd like to share it here. It's simply a great sci-fi short story written by Isaac Asimov (a writer and scientist who lived from 1920 - 1992).

The story itself was written in 1956, and curiously, one who is familiar with the LOO should see many similarities between concepts in the story and concepts presented in the channeled material we discuss here. The first time I read it years ago, before I found the LOO, I found the story strangely inspiring. I thought it amazing that someone could have such an imagination, and an ability to think for themselves in regards to how civilizations might evolve or what God is.

Enjoy. http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html BigSmile
Thanks for sharing this- I've printed a copy and will give it a read.

ayadew

I love Asimov!

It's an interesting question, what happens to earth when the sun is gone. I pondered that a lot when I was little. Looking at the stars, sun and planets always fills me with wonder. It's an enormous catalyst that inspires to the endless mystery of the Creator.
Fascinating story, loved it!

IIRC, a channeled entity from L/L has said that entropy does not exist...
Read it last night- very enjoyable! I agree, it does have some pretty strong Law of One elements. Fun.
(04-27-2010, 04:32 PM)JoshC Wrote: [ -> ]Fascinating story, loved it!

IIRC, a channeled entity from L/L has said that entropy does not exist...

Well, if you look at things from a timeless standpoint, of course entropy doesn't exist! haha Or, rather, it exists both forwards and backwards.

I'm curious though. Which entity said that? Tongue
(04-28-2010, 09:11 PM)Aaron Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious though. Which entity said that? Tongue

No idea :-/ It's probably best you don't adopt the concept as truth until I find where it's said, just in case I'm wrong or something like that.

Heart
(04-28-2010, 10:42 PM)JoshC Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-28-2010, 09:11 PM)Aaron Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious though. Which entity said that? Tongue

No idea :-/ It's probably best you don't adopt the concept as truth until I find where it's said, just in case I'm wrong or something like that.

Heart

Hahaha Ask Lavazza! All truths are true!

In the grand scheme, it doesn't really matter what entity said what, which truths outside of human knowledge are true, or whether or not there's a whole big Confederation thinking around up there.

Love, here and now! BigSmile That's what needs to happen and we know how to do it! Heart

Thanks, JoshC
All truths are true, perhaps! Smile

I think entropy certainly exists in the physical world, indeed everything about our physical world is made in such a way that it will eventually fall apart, die, fade away, run out of energy or whathaveyou from the microcosm to the macrocosm. Humans die, stars die, even black holes will eventually evaporate thanks to quantum effects.

Outside of the physical illusion however is almost certainly entirely different! The keyword here being "illusion". I guess it depends on what context that entity was speaking about entropy.
If you look up “anti-entropy” and “life” in a search engine you get some interesting theories on how biological life is anti-entropic since life creates ever increasing order or structure e.g. DNA, amino acids, complex proteins, cells, multicellular organisms, biospheres etc from disordered matter. This becomes sorta interesting in relation to Asimov’s “the last question” if you note that near the end of the story, life or mankind has spread throughout the known universe, and the way to reverse entropy is to spread life. Just food for thought Smile
That's a good point, Spero. I didn't think of it that way before... it makes sense.