Bring4th

Full Version: Project Catalyst, Apr 26-May 3, Patience / Impatience
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 13534314.jpg]

Hello again friends,

As promised, here is the tread for our first 'Project Catalyst' week. Sorry about the logo- my wife and I have been watching 'project runway' lately, so I couldn't help but feel inspired. It is well to note however, that this is anything but a competition.

For anyone who didn't catch the first thread, please have a look here to get the general idea of what this is all about.

This week we'll be taking a good hard look at what impatience we might have within ourselves, and will try to be as mindful as possible about this over the next week. And to be fair, anyone who feels they are too patient are welcome to attempt to do the reverse- although I'm sure most people won't be going that way Wink As the week progresses, please feel free to visit this thread again and share what stories you have experienced. Where were the victories, where were the failures? What have we learned about ourselves, etc?

What is the deal with impatience these days anyway? If I might begin a dialog on this subject, I might start by pointing at our western culture and it's explosion of instant-information, instant-feedback, instant-service. It seems like things are happening faster and faster each day- yesterdays fastest computers are laughable today. You can look at almost any area of the average westerner's life and see where it has become quickened compared to yesteryear. As a result, having grown up in just such a quickening culture, it's easy to see how our expectations have grown to accommodate... and expect. As such, traffic can never move fast enough, computers can never load web pages fast enough, and that person you asked to help you can never get the job done on time.

Another fascinating aspect of patience / impatience is simply the art of accepting something someone else is doing that you find irritating (or not accepting it) in your everyday life. I have witnessed myself losing patience when someone makes a comment that I internally deem to be devolved, for example. This is perhaps the deeper art of maintaining one's patience. But I'll rest here and let some of you other fine folks weigh in.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm! If you care to, please drop a quick line if nothing else, signaling your interest/participation.

cheers to you,
Lavazza

ayadew

Stuff this last week.

Impatience: Went to a restaurant yesterday to celebrate my partner's birthday. Of course, the food couldn't come fast enough! I failed to realize that the time spent to make this food myself, together with buying it, would be far greater than the actual waiting time.

Impatience: Spiritual catalyst seem abundant these days. I feel it most strongly in my desire for things to 'make sense'. In 3D things are polarized, but my potential 6D heritage makes itself known due to my desire to not live as polar but as that which is beyond it. I just want to go home...

Impatience: Internet these days. My friend has quite a crappy connection compared to that at my house, so I "expect" (as you say Lavazza) a certain rate of information. This desire was obviously not conformed to by the outside world, so I become frustrated with 5 seconds wait time at pages that usually takes 0.5 seconds. This is a very strong and notable catalyst of patience.

I will be mindful and try to see impatience in my world this week. Too much patience, well, that one is an elusive bugger..
I'll join in.. Being more patient is the obvious option. When should we be more impatient?
(04-26-2010, 03:04 AM)ayadew Wrote: [ -> ]Too much patience, well, that one is an elusive bugger..

Usually it requires someone else to point out when we are being too patient. But of course that's really just someone else being impatient with the rate at which you're doing something. Smile

ayadew

Actually, I noticed too much patience in me this morning: To get out of bed. There was simply no impatience at all in getting up and on with my daily business. I don't really want to lay in bed all day, so I must cultivate impatience here
Well we're nearly 3/4ths of the way through our week. How is everyone doing? Here are two of my most standout experiences...

1. When I get home from work I take over the role of parent and to the nighttime routine with the kids. That means bath, teeth brushing, toy-pick up / clean up, diaper change. PJ's, story time and then night-night. Our oldest son is 2 1/2 and for a while now has become less and less cooperative in this process, especially since he's at the end of the day and very tired / cranky and also simply at a state of development where he's learning to refuse things. As a result it's made the night time routine pretty stressful some days, and it would leave me feeling frustrated. My wife reminded me to not simply bark orders but to stop and try and communicate more when he throws up an objection. Well, it worked really well! Not flawlessly, but when he would say "No" I would get down to his level and ask why not. Then I would explain why we needed to brush our teeth, and that if we did, we could have a story. It made a biiig difference. Thinking on this this morning, I realize it was just an exercise of added patience and understanding.

2. I have a friend at work with whom I will some times strike up conversations with on religious, moral or other topics. We have vastly different backgrounds in this area, and so although we are friends our dialogs can become a little bit heated. I anticipated this one with my ideals of patience in mind. Our dialogs this week have been a lot smoother. When I heard him say something that I disagreed with completely, I waited, sometimes minutes before responding. As a result I was able to much more fully express my point of view and in a much more patience and understanding way. (thank god for that!)

ayadew

Nice progress Lavazza.. I'm happy for you. Inspiring idea to wait minutes. This is extremely uncommon to see. Sure, we can express fairly well-formulated answers through a forum and edit our posts but this is not quite so in real time conversation. To be patient and formulate and answer like that can be a good idea
Ah, sorry- I wrote my entry too fast this morning. It was a conversation over g-mail chat- instant messenger type program. Not exactly real time conversation.

ayadew

I see Wink