Bring4th

Full Version: Sleep Cycles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One interesting thing that I noticed while I was away at Homecoming was that I had my sleep cycles reset to a more normal pattern.

That is, I was sleeping midnight-to-7am, for about a week, while I was staying in Louisville.

It's been a long time since I've slept according to our normal social structures.  The main reason because I work night shift, and so it's not possible during those days, to even get a normal sleep cycle in.

And then there is this interesting piece of Ra info:

Quote:64.14 Questioner: Thank you. I read that recent research has indicated that the normal sleep cycle for entities on this planet occurs one hour later each diurnal period so that we have a 25-hour cycle instead of a 24. Is this correct, and if so, why is this?

Ra: I am Ra. This is in some cases correct. The planetary influences from which those of Mars experience memory have some effect upon these third-density physical bodily complexes. This race has given its genetic material to many bodies upon your plane.

So again, we have the tyranny of the 40 hour work week, and regimented sleep patterns, rather than allowing some measure of freedom to rest and sleep when our body/minds most need it.

/ /

It was an interesting week sleeping midnight-to-7am.  I can understand how it can be a much more regulated and consistent pattern.  But I would still choose my current freestyle sleep cycles over that.  But I definitely understand the appeal and the regularity/consistency of it.
I usually am in bed by 7 or 8.
I know this feeling too. Usually up at 8pm, sleep at 10am.

I love this schedule. Its like living in reverse. Wake up to darkness, my sunset is the sunrise. Sleep during the 100+ degree day.

Tyrannical is a proper word lol
I think people should be free to sleep whenever they want as per their health... Considering how many times I've slept poorly during the day, and the few times I slept like a cozy rock. I'd say sleeping at night is easier, more energizing, but sleeping during the day Just feels...

So good.
I definitely like having the option too, Van.

In regards to my own patterns, I think I realized after I posted that I can only live the way I do because I am pretty much living an independent life.  That is, I don't have family/relationship commitments, rarely need to co-ordinate for attending physical events (except work).

Having a common time-beat (which means sleeping at night, and awake at the same time), is a way of co-ordinating people.

The day also seems to have a much more distinct beginning, middle (lunch), and end (dinner, and evening activities).

I can appreciate the much greater 'smoothness' during my week being locked back into a regular sleep cycle, and having the events during the day when I was with other-selves, and then a common dinner, and chatting about the day over that meal.

(09-12-2015, 10:55 PM)The_Tired_Philosopher Wrote: [ -> ]Considering how many times I've slept poorly during the day, and the few times I slept like a cozy rock.  I'd say sleeping at night is easier, more energizing, but sleeping during the day Just feels...

So good.

Definitely the first couple of years I was doing night shift full time, it was just exhausting.  I would never go back to that!  So my commiserations on your current experience  Angel
I do feel nostalgic for times when I spent more hours awake at night time than day, or the freedom to go between, but my husband is extremely diurnal (rarely up later than 6am), having been conditioned from his time having a farm. So I usually compromise by going to bed earlier, because no matter what time we go to sleep he will be up at 6am, and I will still sleep 8-10 hours. My body likes sleeping a lot, and I could basically sleep all the time. He cannot. So at least he keeps me from sleeping 12 hours a day.
I'm the same, if I don't get at least 8 hours I'm not even at 90% energy levels.

Night shift was rough for me due to the job... Now that I'm.at a different job, looooove night shift. I actually often wonder if my powerful aversion to people (40% the reason I love nightshift) in general makes me a negative polarity being.

I love them all. But they just upset and anger me so badly I avoid people Now.

Havinga set schedule is refreshing. But I am inherently a cluttery person, tidy clutter even with time.

It is worth noting though, i was very keen on time management during my work in consciousness days. Only allowed myself an hour of video games for weeks even lol

I wonder what other night jobs there are.
My sleep pattern is chaos, never go to sleep or wake up at a regular hour.

This has been useful this summer as I've been alternating shifts from day, to evening and to night. Daily is the hardest one but I usually wake earlier than my alarm. Best moment of the day is when my body feels empty of energy while my mind is active, and I just lie down wide awake in this blissful state.

I can spend an entire day feeling like a zombie but when the night comes I am energized and won't care about reducing my sleep time to enjoy that blissful part of the day. To feel like a zombie I need to sleep around 2-3 hours only. Lately I did that often but with a 2 hours nap later, would drink/smoke mj inbetween which made the nap more blissful too.