Bring4th

Full Version: Auto-Aiming Firearm (Documentary - 25 mins)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently stumbled upon a new technology for firearms that allows the shooter to designate a (potentially moving) target with a sophisticated heads up display and hit the target accurately at long to extreme distances with virtually no firearm skill. The tracking system accounts for an incredible number of factors in real time (wind, temperature, humidity, distance, incline, curve of earth). The shooter need only tag the target with the heads up display, then hold the trigger until the gun automatically fires when the crosshair is lined back up with the target tagged earlier.

The documentary itself covers interviews with the actual company that invented and is developing this system, as well as dissenting opinions about the technology (which are less prevalent).

WARNING: the video does depict the killing of several animals. I am not condoning what they are doing in any way. However, the video does nothing to glorify the actual killing of the animals, which are exclusively killed for the testing of the firearm/tracking system.

I purchased several firearms before I had my initial awakening experience. I still own them and feel comfortable doing so at this point. I believe in keeping them for home/self defense, but only in the most extreme situation. I honestly hope I never have to use one.

Watching the video the first time, I became emotional because it is a new terribly effective way to kill people / animals. I can think of no redeemable qualities for this system. A target needs to be tagged, then the aiming reticle lined up with the tagged target. So it would be impractical for home defense. The reason being that virtually all instances of firearm engagements inside the home are a distance of less than 25 meters. This system is too slow for that to be practical and is not for self defense shooting.

I can think of 3 uses for this technology: 

1) Long range military / law enforcement sniping (300+ yards) - This would make it a lot easier and more reliable (and quicker overall) to kill people who are deemed by military or law enforcement to be enemies. Of course, the situation implies that the person being killed has not received a fair trial in a court of law who is receiving a death sentence, which I am strongly against.

2) Medium - long range hunting of animals (50+ yards) - Again, it would make it MUCH easier and reliable for even a novice shooter to kill 'game' during hunting. I believe in ethical hunting in which the hunter respects the animal, does not glorify killing it, eats/uses all parts of the animal, and tries to kill the animal as instantly as possible so it does not suffer. I also believe there is a degree of sportsmanship required in order to treat the hunted animal with respect. This system seems to take all skill / sportsmanship out of the hunt, so (as one of the commentators in the video said) what do you have left?

3) Long range assassination of political / religious leaders or random innocent people - Instead of needing years training and practice to be an effective sniper at long distance, it would only take a few practice sessions at a shooting range to be equally if not more effective. This company has developed firearms capable of hitting their target almost always at 500 yards and very frequently at 1000 yards. It is also developing a firearm capable of accurately hitting a target at 2000 yards (over a mile). Anyone who can afford this firearm could purchase it and use it on the aforementioned leaders or innocent people (a la the clock tower sniper from the 60's).

I am posting this thread trying to see if anyone can think of a practical way to use this technology defensively because I can think of none. Of course I would also like to hear everyone's general thoughts about this tech through the lens of the LOO.
They finally did it...

I've been waiting for this since I was 12 and first thought of it after playing Call of Duty.

It'll be used on high power infrared turrets eventually.

I imagine...
Looks like you covered all the bases. I agree; there is no justifiable use for this. None that is ethical anyway. It's yet another example of advances in technology exceeding ethics/spiritual evolution.

We don't have any firearms in the uk and we don't have any issues with them. I don't think anyone here has probably seen or used a gun unless they are in the army or something like that.