Bring4th

Full Version: So somebody put a video up of me...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's about my views on business in my current city of Montreal, in case anyone cares.

wow!  that's so awesome Adonai.

Thanks for sharing!!  Smile
Very cool, can't say I fully agree with the point you are making in the video though. Do you really think Montreal is lacking in career options in the creative fields? Almost everyone I know in Montreal works for publishers or video game companies or are self-employed following their dreams (i.e. my friend who runs his own kung fu school and natural foods business) etc. I've never felt that there was more opportunity in those kinds of fields in the States, kind of the opposite actually.
makes me want to move to Montreal.  Or Austin, TX is another creative hotspot.  
Bethesda Game Studios just opened an office in Montreal, makes me want to try to get a job there Tongue
In general we live in a left-brain trained society (mostly because of school, and originally because agriculturally minded people needed to be regimented into living artificial lives working in factories).

So it is ever challenging for artistic types to flourish economically. However, that doesn't mean it's not possible. It takes getting out of the box and a certain amount of entrepreneurial spirit. As for the gaming and animation industries, this is a good opportunity for creative jobs. 

I encourage anyone who is creative to start creating on their own. It's nice to have a job one likes, but it's even nicer (in my opinion) to work for one's self. 
so what was the first big step in breaking out on your own Diana, if you are comfortable sharing that?
(12-13-2015, 12:40 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]so what was the first big step in breaking out on your own Diana, if you are comfortable sharing that?

Well, I was never in the box actually. I had jobs before I went out on my own, but I didn't fit well. I did my jobs well, but I didn't like following rules. An example is: looking like you're busy when you really have nothing to do, and going home when your job isn't done. 

I was going to Al Collins Graphic Design School when I was in my twenties. Before I graduated, a friend asked me to finish a freelance job she was doing because she was moving out of state. The designer I did the job for had more work, and he shared office space with two other designers who hired me as well. I took to it like a duck in water and never did seek actual employment after that. I lived very frugally for a while because I wasn't making much. I would say the single most important thing which contributed to my success was the attitude that everything I did I did to the very best of my ability and it didn't matter what I got paid for it. I was being of service in this respect, but it was also serving me as I loved being on my own.

It requires the attitude that you will do what it takes to make it. Most people cave at the first brick wall they encounter, some cave after several, but the ones who make it get over every brick wall or they die trying. It's a matter of being 100% committed.

It has been said (a lot) to do what you love and the money will follow. I don't entirely agree with this. I turn this statement around a bit: Love what you do and the money will follow (or you can substitute success for money). This is the key in my opinion.
thanks Diana.  That's a beautiful story.

(12-13-2015, 01:07 PM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]Love what you do and the money will follow (or you can substitute success for money). This is the key in my opinion.

a great motto to live by!
-----