Bring4th

Full Version: "Excellent Defense Mechanisms"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was watching Shutter Island (2010) the other day, and was quite impressed with the film overall.  First time I've seen it.

It has lots of psychological elements to it.

One line, in particular, I liked.  It was:

"Excellent Defence Mechanisms".

and defence mechanisms are a psychological tool that the mind uses to deflect things it doesn't want to look at more closely.  There is usually a reason for these defence mechanisms - some sort of physical or emotional trauma, an event that the person can't fully integrate.  

So rather than seeing and dealing with what is present (or comes up in a situation), a defence mechanism is used to deflect the focus elsewhere.  Maybe onto the person that brought the matter up, or some sort of sideways deflection.

Really well-done film.  The mind is really quite a beautiful thing to study and experience.

/ /

ps, the quote was actually "Outstanding Defence Mechanisms".

/ /

pps, it also would seem that in a culture that doesn't deal with the reality of catalyst as such, there would be 'outstanding defence mechanisms' in place.  Just a few offhand quotes:

Quote:In observing the allopathic concept of the body complex as the machine we may note the symptomology of a societal complex seemingly dedicated to the most intransigent desire for the distortions of distraction, anonymity, and sleep. This is the result rather than the cause of societal thinking upon your plane.
I am puzzled by the inclusion of "anonymity" in the list. What do y'all make of it?
Anonymity is often synonymous with a desire to not take responsibility for ones words and actions since they won't be traced back to the originator. Not always, but often the case.
That's most likely the case.  It's a kind of disowning reflex.

That's not to say that there aren't legitimate reasons for having pseudonyms, and online profiles that can't be traced back to our real-world selves.  But in terms of the quote, it's more about 'not signing your name' to an action/thought, and owning all it's consequences.