Bring4th

Full Version: Service to others: Doing and Being
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear forums,

We at L/L Research were recently contacted by Ned C., a seeker who had created a website (http://home.earthlink.net/~npconner/index2all.html) containing a rather comprehensive personal philosophy regarding a new model for the restructuring of politics, society, and the economy. Because he refers to the Law of One material within his website, he wrote requesting permission to reference the books.

In the process of replying to Ned, I reviewed his website and noticed that he hit on some really deep areas of contemplation, primary among them the question of doing vs. being in a third-density world that seems to scream for positive action.

Thusly I decided to offer Ned some unsolicited thoughts in response to those issues raised on his website. Though the size of the workload at L/L typically precludes the possibility of having in-depth philosophical discussion, this initiated a discussion in which, with each other’s help, he and I were able to really dig down into that age-old issue in the context of the Law of One.

Because this constellation of questions revolving about the doing vs being paradox is so rich for deeper consideration, we wanted to take it out of the private sphere in order to seek your input. Please chime in!

Love/Light,
GLB
Dear Ned,

As to the content of your treatise, I have a few comments to offer if I may.

I think that you make significant headway in capturing the essence of these two basic, seemingly different schools of thought when you say, “…on the one hand, accepting whatever comes is really important as part of following the right-hand (positive, service-to-others) path; on the other hand, standing by while entire populations are enslaved and the biosphere destroyed is not always and necessarily the best way to be of service to others.”

This basic question has been a part of my own process as well. I consider the ideas captured so succinctly in these quotes in juxtaposition to the idea contained in your statement above, that being that unconditional acceptance is that which is appropriate for the right hand path.

Quote:Martin Luther King:
“He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.”

“History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.”

Edmund Burke
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

I am always attempting to find the balance between accepting what’s seemingly “wrong” with the world and taking action to change what is happening. In that pursuit, while I do not have a definitive solution, there are a couple of passages within the Law of One material that have been helpful to me. I would recommend them for your consideration:

Quote:Session #34
RA: I am Ra. The unmanifested self may find its lessons those which develop any of the energy influx centers of the mind/body/spirit complex. The societal and self interactions most often concentrate upon the second and third energy centers. Thus those most active in attempting to remake or alter the society are those working from feelings of being correct personally or of having answers which will put power in a more correct configuration. This may be seen to be of a full travel from negative to positive in orientation. Either will activate these energy ray centers.

There are some few whose desires to aid society are of a green ray nature or above. These entities, however, are few due to the understanding, may we say, of fourth ray that universal love freely given is more to be desired than principalities or even the rearrangement of peoples or political structures.

Session 17
“QUESTIONER: Is it possible by the use of some technique or other to help an entity to reach fourth-density level in these last days?
RA: I am Ra. It is impossible to help another being directly. It is only possible to make catalyst available in whatever form, the most important being the radiation of realization of oneness with the Creator from the self, less important being information such as we share with you.

Ra: “The best way of service to others is the constant attempt to seek to share the love of the Creator as it is known to the inner self. This involves self knowledge and the ability to open the self to the other-self without hesitation. This involves, shall we say, radiating that which is the essence or the heart of the mind/body/spirit complex.”

Passages such as these, along with information I have encountered elsewhere in my spiritual study, lead me to believe that silence in the face of service-to-self activity need not be a weak, passive, and ineffectual strategy. While – depending on the orientation and evolutionary position of the entity – it certainly can be, it also can be a position of incredible metaphysical power for the entity aware of the self as Creator and the unity which binds all things. From this standpoint, the entity may indeed effect profound and fundamental change without opening the mouth or lifting a finger.

However, as you say, this is a zone of free will within which we all have the privilege and the responsibility to creatively add our input towards an outcome beyond our control. As such, the service of communicating our truth via blue ray expression can be a helpful concomitant of the service of being.

This is not to minimize or dismiss your efforts as unworthy! On the contrary I do think it necessary that people speak up. My only point is to emphasize that, in my humble opinion, between being and doing, the service of being is by far the more powerful and potent of the two, though being is also the most invisible of the two.
Speaking and agitating for change on behalf of that which is perceived to be service to others is needed on this planet. I only advocate that ones energies and focus be given first to the development of being -- with the service of doing seen only as an extension of the primary service.

In terms of those who have effected great societal change in this world. Gandhi and MLK are two of my personally esteemed models for taking service-to-others oriented action on the physical plane.
Alas, please feel free to disregard these thoughts if they are unhelpful, for I am simply figuring it out as I go along. : )

Love/Light,
GLB
Dear Gary,

Your remarks have provided me with perfect catalyst to delve more deeply into areas that have been "on my list" for some time. I thank you for having done so.

Quote:And now to the first passage, from Session#34,Question#9:

RA: I am Ra. The unmanifested self may find its lessons those which develop any of the energy influx centers of the mind/body/spirit complex. The societal and self interactions most often concentrate upon the second and third energy centers. Thus those most active in attempting to remake or alter the society are those working from feelings of being correct personally or of having answers which will put power in a more correct configuration. This may be seen to be of a full travel from negative to positive in orientation. Either will activate these energy ray centers.

There are some few whose desires to aid society are of a green ray nature or above. These entities, however, are few due to the understanding, may we say, of fourth ray that universal love freely given is more to be desired than principalities or even the rearrangement of peoples or political structures.

I am indeed one of those few of whom Ra speaks in this passage, and I have definitely verified that Ra is correct: there are indeed but very few of us.

Ra says here that there are but few because the “understanding” of fourth ray is that universal love freely given is more to be desired than … the rearrangement of political structures. Those manifesting from this fourth ray “understanding” will be motivated to freely give universal love, and will not be motivated to rearrange political structures. Again, looking around, we see that Ra is right: the meditation circles that are engaged in freely giving universal love are composed of individuals who have no interest in rearranging political structures. (sigh.)

The question to which Ra is responding in this passage is one of a series that started at

Quote:Session#33,Question#14:

Question #14: What I would like for you to do is list all the major mechanisms designed to provide catalytic experience that do not include interaction with other-self. That is the first part of the question.

Ra is giving examples of mechanisms designed to provide catalytic experience to the “unmanifested self”. In this passage Ra is saying that very few (green ray and above) are provided “unmanifested self” catalyst through desiring to aid society by rearranging political structures. There are few attempting to rearrange political structures because the desire to do so is just not there in most green ray and above individuals. They are exactly right about this. Ra is not saying that it is a bad thing to be provided catalyst in this way, nor are they saying that it is better to be provided catalyst through desiring to aid society by freely giving universal love, nor are they suggesting that it is impossible to do both. It is possible to utilize catalyst from either source (indeed, from any source) to develop being.

Quote:Next passage (Session#17,Question#2):

Question #2: Is it possible by the use of some technique or other to help an entity to reach fourth-density level in these last days?

Ra: I am Ra. It is impossible to help another being directly. It is only possible to make catalyst available in whatever form, the most important being the radiation of realization of oneness with the Creator from the self, less important being information such as we share with you.

Great passage (as are they all). Ra understands (and you understand) that when “A” is more important than “B”, that does not mean that “B” is not worth doing. Ra (knowing full well that “radiation of realization of oneness with the Creator from the self” was more important than passing through the Ra Material) nevertheless went ahead and passed through the Ra Material. Ra understood that it is altogether possible to do both, that it is not in any way necessary to choose between.

Passing through the material was a very “activist” thing to do, even to the point of endangering lives. Thus, I’m not quite sure I see how this passage bears upon achieving the “acceptance/activism” balance. (That’s actually a question: How have you found this passage of use in seeking the acceptance/activist balance?)

Quote:(Session#17,Question#29)

Question #29: If an entity wants learn ways, wants to be of service to others rather than service to self while he is in this third density, are there "best ways" of being of service to others, or is any way just as good as any other way?

Ra: I am Ra. The best way to be of service to others has been explicitly covered in previous material. We will iterate briefly.

The best way of service to others is the constant attempt to seek to share the love of the Creator as it is known to the inner self. This involves self knowledge and the ability to open the self to the other-self without hesitation. This involves, shall we say, radiating that which is the essence or the heart of the mind/body/spirit complex.

Speaking to the intention of your question, the best way for each seeker in third density to be of service to others is unique to that mind/body/spirit complex. This means that the mind/body/spirit complex must then seek within itself the intelligence of its own discernment as to the way it may best serve other-selves. This will be different for each. There is no best. There is no generalization. Nothing is known.

All three of the passages that you have recommended for my consideration (particularly the parts you highlighted) appear to have these features in common:

• Each suggests that “inner” activism is more important than “outer” activism.
• None suggest that therefore “outer” activism is not worthwhile.
• None suggest that there is any sort of conflict that precludes engaging in both.
• None address the acceptance/activism balance.

Here are some passages that do address the acceptance/activism balance:

Quote:Session#42 Question #4: Would a perfectly balanced entity feel an emotional response when being attacked by the other-self?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct. The response is love.

Question #5: In the illusion that we now experience it is difficult to maintain this response especially if the entity's attack results in physical pain, but I assume that this response should be maintained even through physical loss of life or extreme pain. Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct and further is of a major or principle importance in understanding, shall we say, the principle of balance. Balance is not indifference but rather the observer not blinded by any feelings of separation but rather fully imbued with love.

Clearly you feel that “inner” activism in relation to others is more important than “outer” activism. Ra agrees with you, as do I. Also clearly, you are very ambivalent about the worth / advisability / appropriateness of “outer” activism. (To express the distinction in another way, one might say that “outer” activism involves mundane service to others, whereas “inner” activism involves magical service to others.) You know far better than I what the sources of that ambivalence may be.

Quote:Session#42 Question #7: I would like to try to make an analogy for this in third-density. Many entities here feel great compassion toward relieving the physical problems of third-density other-selves by administering to them in many ways, bringing them food if there is hunger as there is in the African nations now, bringing them medicine if they believe they require administering to them medically, and being selfless in all of these services to a very great extent.

This is creating a polarization or a vibration that is in harmony with green-ray or fourth-density. However, it is not balanced with the understanding of fifth-density that these entities are experiencing catalyst and a more balanced administration to their needs would be to provide them with the learning necessary to reach the state of awareness of fourth-density than it would be to administer to their physical needs at this time. Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is incorrect. To a mind/body/spirit complex which is starving, the appropriate response is the feeding of the body. You may extrapolate from this.

On the other hand, however, you are correct in your assumption that the green ray response is not as refined as that which has been imbued with wisdom. This wisdom enables the entity to appreciate its contributions to the planetary consciousness by the quality of its being without regard to activity or behavior which expects results upon visible planes.

Question #8: Then why do we have the extreme starvation problem in, generally, the area of Africa at this time? Is this, is there any metaphysical reason for this, or is it purely random occurrence?

Ra: I am Ra. Your previous assumption was correct as to the catalytic action of this starvation and ill health. However, it is within the free will of an entity to respond to this plight of otherselves, and the offering of the needed foodstuffs and substances is an appropriate response within the framework of your learn/teachings at this time which involve the growing sense of love for and service to other-selves.

Here Ra says that wisdom enables the entity to appreciate its “magical” contributions. Ra does not say that this appreciation will cause the wise entity to not make mundane contributions such as feeding those who are starving. There is nothing to prevent the wise entity from doing both. Moreover, the catalyst that follows from desiring to make magical contributions, as well as the catalyst that follows from desiring to make mundane contributions, can be utilized to develop being. One does not forego or obstruct the development of being by desiring or attempting to be of service to others in mundane ways.

Most of the people who are starving these days are starving because of social/political/economic arrangements, not because the earth cannot / does not produce enough food. My view is that feeding the starving one by one (through charity) is good, and that feeding the starving in big bunches by designing and implementing a better spesystem (http://home.earthlink.net/~npconner/index2all.html) would also be good.

Quote:Session#35 Question #8: Well in that case I would like to know the motivation for this use of Abraham Lincoln’s body at that time?

Ra: I am Ra. This shall be the last full query of this session as we find the instrument quite low in vital energies.

The one known as Abraham had an extreme difficulty in many ways and, due to physical, mental, and spiritual pain, was weary of life but without the orientation to self-destruction. In your time, 1853, this entity was contacted in sleep by a fourth-density being. This being was concerned with the battle between the forces of light and the forces of darkness which have been waged in fourth-density for many of your years.

This entity accepted the honor/duty of completing the one known as Abraham’s karmic patterns and the one known as Abraham discovered that this entity would attempt those things which the one known as Abraham desired to do but felt it could not. Thus the exchange was made.

The entity, Abraham, was taken to a plane of suspension until the cessation of its physical vehicle much as though we of Ra would arrange with this instrument to remain in the vehicle, come out of the trance state, and function as this instrument, leaving this instrument’s mind and spirit complex in its suspended state.

The planetary energies at this time were at what seemed to this entity to be at a critical point, for that which you know as freedom had gained in acceptance as a possibility among many peoples. This entity saw the work done by those beginning the democratic concept of freedom, as you call it, in danger of being abridged or abrogated by the rising belief and use of the principle of the enslavement of entities. This is a negative concept of a fairly serious nature in your density. This entity, therefore, went forward into what it saw as the battle for the light, for healing of a rupture in the concept of freedom.

This entity did not gain or lose karma by these activities due to its detachment from any outcome. Its attitude throughout was one of service to others, more especially to the downtrodden or enslaved. The polarity of the individual was somewhat, but not severely, lessened by the cumulative feelings and thought forms which were created due to large numbers of entities leaving the physical plane due to trauma of battle.

Two of the aims in my work have been to design a social/political/economic system (“spesystem”) that would preclude large-scale war, and to find a way to implement it without fighting. The Lincoln entity saw the concept of freedom as worth fighting for. Both of us (myself and the Lincoln entity) see “outer” activism (mundane service to others) as preferable to passive acceptance, at the level of populations. Both myself and -- I am guessing – the Lincoln entity see “freely giving universal love” and “radiating realization of oneness with the Creator” and “sharing the love of the Creator as it is known to the inner self” as more important than the work of defending the concept of freedom or the work of designing new spesystems. For that reason, we seek to be active both mundanely and magically. (You also, obviously, attempt to be active both mundanely and magically: your excellent email went far above and beyond the call of duty – writing that email was mundane activism: you were attempting to be of service through writing, in addition to radiating.)

Quote:Session#25 Question #5: You spoke of an Orion Confederation and of a battle being fought between the Confederation and the Orion Confederation. Is it possible to convey any concept of how this battle is fought?

Ra: I am Ra. Picture, if you will, your mind. Picture it then in total unity with all other minds of your society. You are then single-minded and that which is a weak electrical charge in your physical illusion is now an enormously powerful machine whereby thoughts may be projected as things.

In this endeavor the Orion group charges or attacks the Confederation arms with light. The result, a stand-off, as you would call it, both energies being somewhat depleted by this and needing to regroup; the negative depleted through failure to manipulate, the positive depleted through failure to accept that which is given.

Question #6: Could you amplify the meaning of what you said by the "failure to accept that which is given"?

Ra: I am Ra. At the level of time/space at which this takes place in the form of what you may call thought-war, the most accepting and loving energy would be to so love those who wished to manipulate that those entities were surrounded, engulfed, and transformed by positive energies.

This, however, being a battle of equals, the Confederation is aware that it cannot, on equal footing, allow itself to be manipulated in order to remain purely positive, for then though pure it would not be of any consequence, having been placed by the so-called powers of darkness under the heel, as you may say.

It is thus that those who deal with this thought-war must be defensive rather than accepting in order to preserve their usefulness in service to others. Thusly, they cannot accept fully what the Orion Confederation wishes to give, that being enslavement. Thusly, some polarity is lost due to this friction and both sides, if you will, must then regroup.

It has not been fruitful for either side. The only consequence which has been helpful is a balancing of the energies available to this planet so that these energies have less necessity to be balanced in this space/time, thus lessening the chances of planetary annihilation.

Question #7: Very important point, I believe. Does a portion of the Confederation then engage in this thought-battle? What percentage engages?

Ra: I am Ra. This is the most difficult work of the Confederation. Only four planetary entities at any one time are asked to partake in this conflict.

Question #8: What density are these four planetary entities?

Ra: I am Ra. These entities are of the density of love, numbering four.

Question #9: Then I am assuming this is the most effective density for this work. Would this density -- an entity of this density -- be more effective for this work than, say, an entity of density five or six?

Ra: I am Ra. The fourth density is the only density besides your own which, lacking the wisdom to refrain from battle, sees the necessity of the battle. Thus it is necessary that fourth-density social memory complexes be used.

Question #10: Am I correct in assuming, then, that fourth density on both sides of the, of both the Orion and the Confederation sides are in this battle, and that the densities fifth and sixth on the Orion side do not engage in this? Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This will be the last full question as this entity's energies are low.

It is partially correct. Fifth- and sixth-density entities positive would not take part in this battle. Fifth-density negative would not take part in this battle. Thus, the fourth density of both orientations join in this conflict.

Ra is saying that he is wise enough to refrain from battle, while at the same time saying that he understands the fourth density understanding of the need for battle. Me, I tend to the view that living in a spesystem that mostly precludes the need for battle might be more conducive to spiritual evolution along the positive path than what we have now – warfare as a catalyst hasn’t worked out for us too well over the last 75,000 years.

Quote:Session#22:Question #5: And can you give me a -- Can I assume then that this drastic drop from seven hundred year life span to one -- less than one hundred years in length during this second 25,000 year period was caused with an intensification of a condition of a lack of service to others? Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is in part correct. By the end of the second cycle, the Law of Responsibility had begun to be effectuated by the increasing ability of entities to grasp those lessons which there are to be learned in this density. Thus, entities had discovered many ways to indicate a bellicose nature, not only as tribes or what you call nations but in personal relationships, each with the other, the concept of barter having given way in many cases to the concept of money; also, the concept of ownership having won ascendancy over the concept of nonownership on an individual or group basis.

Each entity then was offered many more subtle ways of demonstrating either service towards others or service to self with the distortion of the manipulation of others. As each lesson was understood, those lessons of sharing, of giving, of receiving in free gratitude -- each lesson could be rejected in practice.

Without demonstrating the fruits of such learn/teaching the life span became greatly reduced, for the ways of honor/duty were not being accepted.

This passage suggests that we (collectively) have been pretty much on our own all along in setting up social/political/economic arrangements. It further suggests (to me) that attempting to be wisely intentional in setting up such arrangements is not necessarily a bad idea. This then leads me to have a pretty strong bias toward “mundane activism” in that particular area. (I feel that I would be remiss not to attempt to demonstrate the fruits of my learn/teachings with respect to spesystems.)

Quote:GLB wrote:Passages such as these [the Ra passages above], along with information I have encountered elsewhere in my spiritual study, lead me to believe that silence in the face of service-to-self activity need not be a weak, passive, and ineffectual strategy. While – depending on the orientation and evolutionary position of the entity – it certainly can be, it also can be a position of incredible metaphysical power for the entity aware of the self as Creator and the unity which binds all things. From this standpoint, the entity may indeed effect profound and fundamental change without opening the mouth or lifting a finger.

Specifically at the level of social/political/economic systems (“spesystems”), the results produced by this approach have not (to my knowledge) been notable. If you can point me to instances in history where notable results have been achieved in this way, I would greatly appreciate it. (Most of the notable results that I am aware of have actually been in the other direction: very private and secretive service-to-self individuals have succeeded in conquering and controlling vast swatches of humanity.)

We are about to go through 2012 and arrive on the other side. Do we want to keep the spesystems we have now, or do we want to switch to something more in keeping with the energetic changes that will have occurred, or do we want to just ignore the choices and maybe they will go away?

The substance of my work is a set of answers to questions that have not (collectively) been asked yet (and may not be at all, depending on how things go). It may be better to put the focus on considering the questions, rather than (prematurely) on the answers. Until the questions are alive, the answers have no place to land.

In Friendship,
Ned Conner
Dear Ned,

I will do my best to offer some thoughts of substance.

Quote:RA: I am Ra. The unmanifested self may find its lessons those which develop any of the energy influx centers of the mind/body/spirit complex. The societal and self interactions most often concentrate upon the second and third energy centers. Thus those most active in attempting to remake or alter the society are those working from feelings of being correct personally or of having answers which will put power in a more correct configuration. This may be seen to be of a full travel from negative to positive in orientation. Either will activate these energy ray centers.

. . . . . . . . . .

Ned: Ra says here that there are but few because the “understanding” of fourth ray is that universal love freely given is more to be desired than … the rearrangement of political structures. Those manifesting from this fourth ray “understanding” will be motivated to freely give universal love, and will not be motivated to rearrange political structures.

I think that “motivated” is a great word here. I would only modify your phrase “will not be motivated” to “will likely not be motivated”. Otherwise I agree with you totally. Ra does not indicate that the green ray being is precluded from the possibility of engaging in social activism, only that, as you say, such an entity will likely not be motivated to so intensively work with the second and third energy centers.

Quote:Ned wrote: The question to which Ra is responding in this passage is one of a series that started at Session#33,Question#14:

Question #14: What I would like for you to do is list all the major mechanisms designed to provide catalytic experience that do not include interaction with other-self. That is the first part of the question.

Ned: Ra is giving examples of mechanisms designed to provide catalytic experience to the “unmanifested self”. In this passage Ra is saying that very few (green ray and above) are provided “unmanifested self” catalyst through desiring to aid society by rearranging political structures. There are few attempting to rearrange political structures because the desire to do so is just not there in most green ray and above individuals.

Now that you’ve made me analyze this excerpt more carefully, I am honestly a bit confused about it. I’m not sure if Ra, in responding to Don’s question, first offers examples of the ways in which the unmanifested self is not worked upon… or is saying that such activities (i.e., the desire to remake society) can help develop the unmanifested self because, “The unmanifested self may find its lessons those which develop any of the energy influx centers of the mind/body/spirit complex.”

Also, I don’t quite understand what this movement from negative to positive in orientation is referring to. Is it the movement into the heart which transcends the need for societal reconfiguration because the heart accepts all that it sees or is the desire to put power in a more correct configuration that which moves the entity from negative to positive? (“Correct” for the positively oriented entity meaning, I suppose, dispersed and equal.)

Quote:Ned wrote: He is exactly right about this. He is not saying that it is a bad thing to be provided catalyst in this way, nor is he saying that it is better to be provided catalyst through desiring to aid society by freely giving universal love, nor is he suggesting that it is impossible to do both. It is possible to utilize catalyst from either source (indeed, from any source) to develop being.

I guess that helps clarify my previous questions a bit for me. Both sources of catalyst can be used to develop the being, in your opinion. (I think you’re right.)

I agree with you as well that Ra is not naming these activities as mutually exclusive or placing labels of moral “superiority/inferiority” on either one.

Quote:(Session#17,Question#2):

Question #2: Is it possible by the use of some technique or other to help an entity to reach fourth-density level in these last days?

Ra: I am Ra. It is impossible to help another being directly. It is only possible to make catalyst available in whatever form, the most important being the radiation of realization of oneness with the Creator from the self, less important being information such as we share with you.

. . . . . . . . . .

Ned: Great passage (as are they all). Ra understands (and you understand) that when “A” is more important than “B”, that does not mean that “B” is not worth doing. Ra (knowing full well that “radiation of realization of oneness with the Creator from the self” was more important than passing through the Ra Material) nevertheless went ahead and passed through the Ra Material. Ra understood that it is altogether possible to do both, that it is not in any way necessary to choose between.

Right on. Fantastic point!

Quote:Ned wrote Passing through the material was a very “activist” thing to do, even to the point of endangering lives. Thus, I’m not quite sure I see how this passage bears upon achieving the “acceptance/activism” balance. (That’s actually a question: How have you found this passage of use in seeking the acceptance/activist balance?)

I have not found this passage helpful in the sense of negating any drive towards activism (though my “activism” is on the level of microcosm – e.g., the workplace, the family unit, etc.), but rather helpful in the sense of establishing a hierarchy of potency and efficacy of service. The service of being, they say, is by far the stronger way to have an impact upon and therefore serve others. Consequently, in my own overall strategy for life, I try to first place my energies towards deepening the realization of being, knowing that self-work is world-work.

Which, as you say, does not suggest that outward-oriented activities become invalid and unworthy.

Quote:Session#17,Question#29

Question #29: If an entity wants learn ways, wants to be of service to others rather than service to self while he is in this third density, are there "best ways" of being of service to others, or is any way just as good as any other way?

Ra: I am Ra. The best way to be of service to others has been explicitly covered in previous material. We will iterate briefly.

The best way of service to others is the constant attempt to seek to share the love of the Creator as it is known to the inner self. This involves self knowledge and the ability to open the self to the other-self without hesitation. This involves, shall we say, radiating that which is the essence or the heart of the mind/body/spirit complex.

Speaking to the intention of your question, the best way for each seeker in third density to be of service to others is unique to that mind/body/spirit complex. This means that the mind/body/spirit complex must then seek within itself the intelligence of its own discernment as to the way it may best serve other-selves. This will be different for each. There is no best. There is no generalization. Nothing is known.

. . . . . . . . . .

Ned: All three of the passages that you have recommended for my consideration (particularly the parts you highlighted) appear to have these features in common:

• Each suggests that “inner” activism is more important than “outer” activism.
• None suggest that therefore “outer” activism is not worthwhile.
• None suggest that there is any sort of conflict that precludes engaging in both.
• None address the acceptance/activism balance.

I agree wholeheartedly with your first three bullets.

The fourth? I suppose the passages address the balance by way of providing basic information about the efficacy of the service of being and beyond that point, leaves it to the seeker’s discretion as to where and how to place the energies and the attention.

Their absence of thought regarding the worthwhileness of activism in the passages I referenced is definitely not an implication (as far as I see it) that the entity should abstain from activism.

I would say though that they do not provide a thorough model of analysis about this balance.

Quote:Ned wrote: Here are some passages that do address the acceptance/activism balance:

Session#42 Question #4: Would a perfectly balanced entity feel an emotional response when being attacked by the other-self?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct. The response is love.

Question #5: In the illusion that we now experience it is difficult to maintain this response especially if the entity's attack results in physical pain, but I assume that this response should be maintained even through physical loss of life or extreme pain. Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct and further is of a major or principle importance in understanding, shall we say, the principle of balance. Balance is not indifference but rather the observer not blinded by any feelings of separation but rather fully imbued with love.

. . . . . . . . . .

Ned: Clearly you feel that “inner” activism in relation to others is more important than “outer” activism. Ra agrees with you, as do I. Also clearly, you are very ambivalent about the worth / advisability / appropriateness of “outer” activism. (To express the distinction in another way, one might say that “outer” activism involves mundane service to others, whereas “inner” activism involves magical service to others.) You know far better than I what the sources of that ambivalence may be.

You are right. I do feel certain that, as you say, inner activism is more important than outer. And I am certainly ambivalent about the worth/advisability/appropriateness of outer activism.

As to the sources feeding this ambivalence? I guess it is Ra and other sources of mystical understanding that I have read – all of which echo the same basic sentiment, that being that the self-realized entity is of the most effective service through silence and radiance of being.

By most measures, it seems absurd to say that, “the self-realized entity is of the most effective service through silence and radiance of being”. It is only when this experience is viewed as a fundamentally metaphysical one wherein the unseen and subtle is primary, the manifested physical world secondary, that this begins to make sense.

Another kernel of thought that feeds my ambivalence is something I picked up from the author Huston Smith who in describing Hinduism’s perspective of the world, I think it was, said that effort in the world is like rolling a rock up hill. It will strengthen the [will and faith] of the one rolling the rock, but the rock will always return for the next person or generation or group. (Something to that effect.) Essentially this third-density experience is not one which can be perfected outwardly. Perfection is for the entity who realizes that our situation is already perfect without effort.

But this thinking can also lead to complacency, yet something else to add to the other reasons people choose not to engage the world, including despair, apathy, and feelings of powerlessness. It seems a somewhat complex philosophical take on the world.

Ra does applaud effort throughout the book, especially the groups’ efforts towards fidelity and fastidiousness in the care of the contact and the instrument.

I submit for your consideration this excerpt from Session #1:

Quote:RA: Each of those in this group is striving to use, digest, and diversify the information which we are sending this instrument into the channels of the mind/body/spirit complex without distortion. The few whom you will illuminate by sharing your light are far more than enough reason for the greatest possible effort. To serve one is to serve all. Therefore, we offer the question back to you to state that indeed it is the only activity worth doing: to learn/teach or teach/learn. There is nothing else which is of aid in demonstrating the original thought except your very being, and the distortions that come from the unexplained, inarticulate, or mystery-clad being are many. Thus, to attempt to discern and weave your way through as many group mind/body/spirit distortions as possible among your peoples in the course of your teaching is a very good effort to make. We can speak no more valiantly of your desire to serve.

Again, Ra affirms the supremacy of being while not suggesting that being necessarily involves sitting on the bean bag in the living room 24/7.

Quote:Session#42 Question #7: I would like to try to make an analogy for this in third-density. Many entities here feel great compassion toward relieving the physical problems of third-density other-selves by administering to them in many ways, bringing them food if there is hunger as there is in the African nations now, bringing them medicine if they believe they require administering to them medically, and being selfless in all of these services to a very great extent.

This is creating a polarization or a vibration that is in harmony with green-ray or fourth-density. However, it is not balanced with the understanding of fifth-density that these entities are experiencing catalyst and a more balanced administration to their needs would be to provide them with the learning necessary to reach the state of awareness of fourth-density than it would be to administer to their physical needs at this time. Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is incorrect. To a mind/body/spirit complex which is starving, the appropriate response is the feeding of the body. You may extrapolate from this.

On the other hand, however, you are correct in your assumption that the green ray wisdom enables the entity to appreciate its contributions to the planetary consciousness by the quality of its being without regard to activity or behavior which expects results upon visible planes.

Question #8: Then why do we have the extreme starvation problem in, generally, the area of Africa at this time? Is this, is there any metaphysical reason for this, or is it purely random occurrence?

Ra: I am Ra. Your previous assumption was correct as to the catalytic action of this starvation and ill health. However, it is within the free will of an entity to respond to this plight of otherselves, and the offering of the needed foodstuffs and substances is an appropriate response within the framework of your learn/teachings at this time which involve the growing sense of love for and service to other-selves.

. . . . . . . . . .

Ned: Here Ra says that wisdom enables the entity to appreciate its “magical” contributions. Ra does not say that this appreciation will cause the wise entity to not make mundane contributions such as feeding those who are starving. There is nothing to prevent the wise entity from doing both. Moreover, the catalyst that follows from desiring to make magical contributions, as well as the catalyst that follows from desiring to make mundane contributions, can be utilized to develop being. One does not forego or obstruct the development of being by desiring or attempting to be of service to others in mundane ways.

Fantastic job, Ned! Both in the quality and depth of your thought and the finding and referencing of the appropriate excerpts.

I could not agree more with your finely-tuned thinking above.

The desire to be of service is in and of itself the bulk of the work, I believe. This desire (as you mention when you say “the catalyst that follows”) will create opportunities or catalyst for the desire to be made manifest, thereby polarizing the entity further.

Quote:Ned wrote One does not forego or obstruct the development of being by desiring or attempting to be of service to others in mundane ways.

I agree totally.

I suppose the wiser advice which I could proactively offer people not asking (as I did to you in my previous email : ), would be to suggest the release of attachment to outcome when attempting to serve the world in “mundane” or outwardly-oriented and ways, because we can never control an outcome, but we can put our best foot forward with the intention to serve. That, and I could say that service begins with being but may (and in so many cases should) be manifested through doing.

I think it would be helpful at this point also to note that the teachings Ra had to offer, coming as they were from a sixth density standpoint, moved beyond the necessities of third-density harvestability.

Quote:Ned wrote: Most of the people who are starving these days are starving because of social/political/economic arrangements, not because the earth cannot / does not produce enough food. My view is that feeding the starving one by one (through charity) is good, and that feeding the starving in big bunches by designing and implementing a better spesystem would also be good.

Agreed. completely. I would never argue against the word “good” in your statement.

Any one with two eyes and a sensitive heart can see the massive suffering so prevalent in this world. And anyone with any measure of discernment can see how so much of it traces back to poor or outright negative leadership from the world’s power brokers (enabled, of course, by a disempowered population).

One wants to react to the situation and be of aid. I myself have been in tears when merely glimpsing the surface of a suffering that runs deeper than I can fathom. In my desire to be of aid, I have asked to be shown a way to be of service. So far, my conviction has simply been to discover who I am. I feel certain that upon finding my way to my own heart, it will be clear to me how I can be of service.

I would never however suggest to another that they not follow their own heart if their heart is telling them to engage in an enterprise such as yours.

Quote:Session#35 Question #8: Well in that case I would like to know the motivation for this use of Abraham Lincoln’s body at that time?

Ra: I am Ra. This shall be the last full query of this session as we find the instrument quite low in vital energies.

The one known as Abraham had an extreme difficulty in many ways and, due to physical, mental, and spiritual pain, was weary of life but without the orientation to self-destruction. In your time, 1853, this entity was contacted in sleep by a fourth-density being. This being was concerned with the battle between the forces of light and the forces of darkness which have been waged in fourth-density for many of your years.

This entity accepted the honor/duty of completing the one known as Abraham’s karmic patterns and the one known as Abraham discovered that this entity would attempt those things which the one known as Abraham desired to do but felt it could not. Thus the exchange was made.

The entity, Abraham, was taken to a plane of suspension until the cessation of its physical vehicle much as though we of Ra would arrange with this instrument to remain in the vehicle, come out of the trance state, and function as this instrument, leaving this instrument’s mind and spirit complex in its suspended state.

The planetary energies at this time were at what seemed to this entity to be at a critical point, for that which you know as freedom had gained in acceptance as a possibility among many peoples. This entity saw the work done by those beginning the democratic concept of freedom, as you call it, in danger of being abridged or abrogated by the rising belief and use of the principle of the enslavement of entities. This is a negative concept of a fairly serious nature in your density. This entity, therefore, went forward into what it saw as the battle for the light, for healing of a rupture in the concept of freedom.

This entity did not gain or lose karma by these activities due to its detachment from any outcome. Its attitude throughout was one of service to others, more especially to the downtrodden or enslaved. The polarity of the individual was somewhat, but not severely, lessened by the cumulative feelings and thought forms which were created due to large numbers of entities leaving the physical plane due to trauma of battle.

. . . . . . . . . .

Ned: Two of the aims in my work have been to design a social/political/economic system (“spesystem”) that would preclude large-scale war, and to find a way to implement it without fighting. The Lincoln entity saw the concept of freedom as worth fighting for. Both of us (myself and the Lincoln entity) see “outer” activism (mundane service to others) as preferable to passive acceptance, at the level of populations. Both myself and -- I am guessing – the Lincoln entity see “freely giving universal love” and “radiating realization of oneness with the Creator” and “sharing the love of the Creator as it is known to the inner self” as more important than the work of defending the concept of freedom or the work of designing new spesystems. For that reason, we seek to be active both mundanely and magically. (You also, obviously, attempt to be active both mundanely and magically: your excellent email went far above and beyond the call of duty – writing that email was mundane activism: you were attempting to be of service through writing, in addition to radiating.)

That you are a proponent of non-violence is admirable. (Non-violence being yet another concept I am none too clear on. I support and stand for the theory of non-violence, but when faced with an actual situation wherein violence is a viable response, though I would attempt to act on my principles, I’m not sure where in the end I would stand.)

I like your description of these two modes of service as “mundane” and “magical”. Again, I am with you all the way that mundane service need not eclipse the already existing magical service as a consequence of one’s conscious state of realization.

I suppose that being attached to an outcome and failing to see through the situation as it appears on the physical plane would undermine the deeper, magical service, but with the right attitude and awareness, the magical can flow through the mundane, all things being one.

Quote:Ned wrote: Ra is saying that he is wise enough to refrain from battle, while at the same time saying that he understands the fourth density understanding of the need for battle. Me, I tend to the view that living in a spesystem that mostly precludes the need for battle might be more conducive to spiritual evolution along the positive path than what we have now – warfare as a catalyst hasn’t worked out for us too well over the last 75,000 years.

In terms of providing individuals the opportunity to polarize, Ra says somewhere in the books that war can be a profound means of accelerating spiritual evolution. (e.g., the soldier who jumps on the grenade to spare the lives of his fellow soldiers).

But in general I would concur that war, it seems, has tended to deepen the “sinkhole of indifference”. I certainly desire a world without war.

Great excerpt, btw. There were two paragraphs that I think also bears relevance to our discussion:

Quote:Ra: At the level of time/space at which this takes place in the form of what you may call thought-war, the most accepting and loving energy would be to so love those who wished to manipulate that those entities were surrounded, engulfed, and transformed by positive energies.

This, however, being a battle of equals, the Confederation is aware that it cannot, on equal footing, allow itself to be manipulated in order to remain purely positive, for then though pure it would not be of any consequence, having been placed by the so-called powers of darkness under the heel, as you may say.

The first paragraph has parallels to Gandhi’s philosophy. He felt that in consciously and willingly suffering the violence of those in power – in other words, responding to the situation with love, something he considered the most powerful force – both the victim and the perpetrator of the violence could be redeemed.

It occurs to me that Ra addresses the acceptance/activism balance in these paragraphs. In this scenario, the SMC can choose between purity -or- preservation of its group for further service. The “consequence” of the outcome upon the outer planes does matter and as such can be factored into the equation.

Also, the reason why what is essentially Gandhi’s philosophy will not work in the fourth density is due to the equality of the opposing forces, equal in strength and polarity. In Gandhi’s India, the native population had the upper hand in terms the strength derived from numbers over the minority ruling class.

Quote:Session#22:Question #5: And can you give me a -- Can I assume then that this drastic drop from seven hundred year life span to one -- less than one hundred years in length during this second 25,000 year period was caused with an intensification of a condition of a lack of service to others? Is this correct?

Ra: I am Ra. This is in part correct. By the end of the second cycle, the Law of Responsibility had begun to be effectuated by the increasing ability of entities to grasp those lessons which there are to be learned in this density. Thus, entities had discovered many ways to indicate a bellicose nature, not only as tribes or what you call nations but in personal relationships, each with the other, the concept of barter having given way in many cases to the concept of money; also, the concept of ownership having won ascendancy over the concept of nonownership on an individual or group basis.

Each entity then was offered many more subtle ways of demonstrating either service towards others or service to self with the distortion of the manipulation of others. As each lesson was understood, those lessons of sharing, of giving, of receiving in free gratitude -- each lesson could be rejected in practice.

Without demonstrating the fruits of such learn/teaching the life span became greatly reduced, for the ways of honor/duty were not being accepted.

. . . . . . . . . .

Ned: This passage suggests that we (collectively) have been pretty much on our own all along in setting up social/political/economic arrangements. It further suggests (to me) that attempting to be wisely intentional in setting up such arrangements is not necessarily a bad idea. This then leads me to have a pretty strong bias toward “mundane activism” in that particular area. (I feel that I would be remiss not to attempt to demonstrate the fruits of my learn/teachings with respect to spesystems.)

About your first sentence, I agree. Given the brevity of our lifespans, it seems that we are born into a world which is a pre-given, it seems as if things have always been the way they are, for the most part. But everything about our arrangements on Earth are self-created, both on the individual and collective level. If we were more altruistic beings earlier on in this third-density cycle, we could have possibly created heaven on Earth.

As to your passion, I firmly believe that we each come into this incarnation with gifts (of a “mundane” nature) to offer this world. This is certainly one of yours. Another excerpt for your consideration:

Session #65
“You may, at this time, note that as with any entities, each Wanderer has its unique abilities, biases, and specialities so that from each portion of each density represented among the Wanderers come an array of pre-incarnative talents which then may be expressed upon this plane which you now experience so that each Wanderer, in offering itself before incarnation, has some special service to offer in addition to the doubling effect of planetary love and light and the basic function of serving as beacon or shepherd.”

Quote:GLB wrote: Passages such as these [the Ra passages above], along with information I have encountered elsewhere in my spiritual study, leads me to believe that silence in the face of service-to-self activity need not be a weak, passive, and ineffectual strategy. While – depending on the orientation and evolutionary position of the entity – it certainly can be, it also can be a position of incredible metaphysical power for the entity aware of the self as Creator and the unity which binds all things. From this standpoint, the entity may indeed effect profound and fundamental change without opening the mouth or lifting a finger.

Ned replied Specifically at the level of social/political/economic systems (“spesystems”), the results produced by this approach have not (to my knowledge) been notable. If you can point me to instances in history where notable results have been achieved in this way, I would greatly appreciate it. (Most of the notable results that I am aware of have actually been in the other direction: very private and secretive service-to-self individuals have succeeded in conquering and controlling vast swatches of humanity.)

About the results produced by the approach of radiating ones realization of Oneness with the Creator, I do not think that these can be “notable” because their effects are not apparent or measurable.

The entity who is awakened is as the light in the darkness, he affects the atmosphere or environment within which learning takes place. This to my understanding is not palpable or tangible. His or her being reminds the lost seeker about who they are and the power they contain within themselves. The realized being is the one character in the dream who knows it is a dream. As such he becomes the strongest, brightest signpost indicating to the perceptive entity that this is an illusion, a very vivid dream.

I know that there are books written about the impact that mystics have had upon individuals who have crossed their paths – or in some cases who did not cross their paths – but I am not aware of any source which claims a connection between large-scale, societal change, and the energy radiated from the self-realized soul or souls. (Though I would like to find such a source if it exists!)

I recall that Paramahansa Yogananda credited India’s general survival as a distinct culture to the many sages that India had produced. Don’t know how accurate or appropriately applied that is.

There is a great diversity among students of this material. Some have their eyes fixed upon the mountaintop, others look at the situation around them, analyzing the many sources of distortion and hoping for ways to improve the situation here for all beings.

The desire to serve runs through the very center of nearly everyone who is attracted to the Law of One, as the principal reason for the wanderer’s existence here on planet Earth is to be of service. (Primarily, of course, by lightening the planetary vibration.)

You appear to be an excellent student of the material and I really appreciate the extent to which you have used said material in supporting your points.Though I don’t often have the time for a discussion of this size, I thoroughly enjoyed being engaged on this level. You are deep and perceptive thinker and have helped me to clarify this ongoing question of the balance between activism and acceptance.

Love/Light,
Gary
Thank you for posting this dialog. Inner vs. outer activism has come up a few times before as a theme topic in some of the other threads, I think this will be helpful to many who are confused on finding a balance. Indeed, threads like these are of most interest to me on our forum. Please do share again if you have follow up thoughts, Gary and Ned. And thanks!

Lavazza
how about we flip this and say that Being IS Doing

for eg, a Wanderer being a passive radiator of Love/Light.

also think of the work of the White Magician who heals the earth.

they sit there in quiet meditation, and from the outside there is no 'doing' or 'interacting' with externals.

and yet a finely honed 'being' is able to bring in energies into the earth sphere that are very stabilising and useful to others (according to the Ra material that is).

- -

some of the 'doing' is not able to be perceived by 3d eyes.
You are wonderful spreader of love and light in this community, plenum! Not just a passive radiator. Keep up your work, and "Never give up"! I will read this post in its entirety shortly, but have to run errands now. And while running those, I will have the following words in my mind:

(03-22-2012, 11:33 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]how about we flip this and say that Being IS Doing

Thank you for this reminder!

Love,
L.
aw shucks Blush

Shin'Ar

(03-22-2012, 11:33 AM)plenum Wrote: [ -> ]how about we flip this and say that Being IS Doing

also think of the work of the White Magician who heals the earth.

they sit there in quiet meditation, and from the outside there is no 'doing' or 'interacting' with externals.

and yet a finely honed 'being' is able to bring in energies into the earth sphere that are very stabilising and useful to others (according to the Ra material that is).

- -

some of the 'doing' is not able to be perceived by 3d eyes.

So does this mean that you do not believe that a person in deep meditation like the guru example, is offering anything to his fellow man?

Not judging just trying to see what you understand with regard to this. you might want to read some material on sacred geometry and the true nature of the universe.

the guru might not seem to be accomnplishing anything but self service in his state, but what is really taking place is a vibration that is enchanting and reshaping the entire creation. His pose is not just to ascend into higehr being, that is just a bonus. What he accomplishes is creating a vibratory harmonic frequencny that literally alters creation into higher density.

watching a few of drunvalo Melchizedak or Charles Gilchrist can bring you soem wonderfil insight on this phenomena.
Being vs Doing is, I think a very individual question. It all has to do with your subjective view and what you decide to be truth. One might understand that sharing something will make a difference. Another might know that as he/she clears the emotional bodies only allowing positive thoughts to enter, he/she will bring a very peaceful and harmonious aura for other-selves to bathe in.

In the end, we don't know much else than our own standpoints. Metaphysically, the average man knows very little about the source of things. He can only refer to past experiences of how things should be done. One doesn't have to do anything. If you want to take on what you'd consider Karma, that is your decision.

Let's say I view this whole construct with wars, deceit, lies and all that bad stuff. Would it be wrong of me to assume that Other-Selves actually wanted this?

So, depending on the events that shape our own experiences -So the way we decide to share ourselves will differ.

This is just my view..

I just read a great passage on this in the Aaron/Q'uo Dialogues... let me see if I can find it...

... here we go.

The Aaron/Q’uo Dialogues, Session 1
28 Feb 91

Aaron Wrote:Carla, we are looking at your question about being versus doing, and I’m afraid there’s something you do not quite understand here. In being, you are doing. This comes back to this same truth I shared above. I see you as light—just that. Each of you radiates a very beautiful and unique pattern of light. When you are being in the most pure way possible for you, you allow that universal energy to flow through you and out so that you become charged with the love of the universe, with the love of God. Then the light that channels through you is enhanced by your own inner energy so that there are truly two sources of light. You are each a spark of God. Picture the small ember and picture the large bonfire. Yet this ember has so much power, is so unlimited, that it, itself, is its own source as well as a channel for the universal source. What more important thing can you do, what deeper way can you serve, than to magnify that love and light, simply to allow yourself to be a channel for that love and light by being? Do you imagine that you are more of a channel for that love when you are physically active than when you are physically quiet? So the distinction is not so clear as you are making it, not so strong as you are making it.

It does not work the other way. In doing you are not always channeling that love and light so clearly; rather, you are using your energy, feeling that something must be done, that you in yourself are not sufficient. In a sense, this is what Q’uo was just speaking to Barbara about: beginning to understand that you are unlimited and that anything that flows through you is enhanced. As you allow this energy flow, the doing becomes simply another way of being. But as long as it’s doing just for doing’s sake, much of the light is lost.

This is also a really good one...

The Aaron/Q’uo Dialogues, Session 7
April 10, 1992

Aaron Wrote:We spoke last night about being service rather than doing service and of the ways that doing creates a distortion of self and other, of server and served. Being service is simply opening yourself and moving away from any duality.

Something I find very interesting is that those of you who aspire to serve, grasp so hard at something that is innate to you. It is not that you must work in order to serve. That is natural to you. When you are not “being service” there is a distortion. Your energy is being distorted into some misconception of separation. Therefore, the ideal is not to aspire to serve but simply to pay attention to where that pure “being service” is blocked by fear.

I spoke last night of intention, of moving away from the limiting concept of service to self and service to others—which is quite disorienting because service to others is service to self and vice versa—and to begin to see with clarity the ways that service to others springs from a ground of love and service to self springs from a ground of fear.[1]

When you begin to see the intention to offer love or to react to fear, to allow fear to direct your choices, then you can move away from the concept of service to self or other-self and towards the pure experience of “being service” or the pure experience of reactivity to fear.

... and this from later on in the same session.

Aaron Wrote:Think, then, about what service, being service versus serving another, really means. When you move into that distortion of seeking to serve another, begin to recognize it as a distortion. See that your serving makes them the one who is served; makes you separate and unequal. See that this is a violence to another.

Is that the course you really choose? How can you learn to express being service in ways that do not create separation?

Well said, Aaron. Very well said.