Bring4th

Full Version: A new way to write English!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been working on this new written form for about 2 months. The ultimate goal really is to make English much more easily understandable in written form. Since most of us are probably native English speakers, even we know how much of a PITA it is to spell our language. How the hell does "one" get spelled as "one"? It's only natural to spell a language in its phonetic form. Old English was like that. Here I present just a sample. It pretty much looks like a mix of Icelandic/Old English and German. Enjoy!!

Nurð Umärikin Standerd Inglish, alsö kald Umärikin, iz ðu dïulekt uv ðu Inglish langwij ðat iz ritin and spökin in Ðu Yünïtid Stätz Uv Umäriku. It wuz krëätid in ðu yër 2015 äz u wä tu prizerv ðis partikyuler dialekt in ritin furm, ulong wið givën it u mur arkäik and Jermanik luk.

Ðu gramer, vökabyulärë, and spökin furmz uv Umärikin and Standerd Modern Inglish ar ðu säm. In ritin furm, it luks u bit diferint ðen Modern Inglish. It iz bast hïlë on "vernakyuler funetiks". It kuntänz 30 leterz, al uv wich hav böð uper and löwer käs furmz. It laks ðu leterz Q, q, X,x. Th/th iz nö longer yüzd tu spel ðu dentul friktiv, and haz bin repläsd wið Ð/ð kald eð. Ðu leterz Ä/ä, Ë/ë, Ï/ï, Ö/ö and Ü/ü ar fur long vowl sowndz.

However, enëwun hü iz flüint in ritin Standerd Modern Inglish wil ëzulë bë äbul tu understand Umärikin.
-------------------------------------------------

North American Standard English, also called American, is the dialect of the English language that is written and spoken in The United States Of America.It was created in the year 2015 as a way to preserve this particular dialect in written form, along with giving it a more archaic and Germanic look.

The grammer, vocabulary, and spoken forms of American and Standard Modern English are the same. In written form, it looks a bit different then Modern English. It is based on "vernacular phonetics". It contains 30 letters, all of which have both upper and lower case forms. It lacks the letters Q,q,X,X. Th/th is no longer used to spell the dental frictive, and has been replaced with Ð/ð called eth. The letters Ä/ä, Ë/ë, Ï/ï, Ö/ö and Ü/ü are for long vowl sounds.

However, anyone who is fluent in written Standard Modern English will easily be able to understand American.
I, understand the idea and highly commend it.

But how does this work for people who don't pronounce things the same way, accents would skew this phonetic version I'd think.

Much of this was hard for me because I, having a speech impediment, don't actually enunciate all of my consonants and vowels, making my spoken form different from yours. Accents too would heavily change how the spelling and formulation of each word occurs.

If you can make a fix for that, I wouldn't mind this form of English at all, I actually kind of like the idea a lot haha
I really like this idea and support it. Languages inevitability evolve, but they seem to evolve fairly randomly. The English language has kind of turned into Frankenstein's monster, so I think it needs to 'cleaned up' considerably.

Tongue I think it's funny, but when I read the example, for some reason I read it in this voice in my head:

[Image: The_Swedish_Chef.jpg]
(01-25-2016, 03:15 AM)The_Tired_Philosopher Wrote: [ -> ]I, understand the idea and highly commend it.

But how does this work for people who don't pronounce things the same way, accents would skew this phonetic version I'd think.

Much of this was hard for me because I, having a speech impediment, don't actually enunciate all of my consonants and vowels, making my spoken form different from yours.  Accents too would heavily change how the spelling and formulation of each word occurs.

If you can make a fix for that, I wouldn't mind this form of English at all, I actually kind of like the idea a lot haha

Thanks man! Lol my buddy at work told me after I showed him this, "you waste time like this??" I was pretty offended!

As for it being "North American Standard English", it really should just be "Mid-Atlantic English". But I really think I've gotten it as close as I can to an accurate spoken and phonetic form. I've put in all I can to make this written form accommodating to all English speakers, with A LOT of emphasis on short/long vowels, hence the umlauts. If someone in the Southern US said "hey yall!" it would be spelled "hä yal!", or "I done reckon" is "Ï dun rekin"

The word THE, is generally pronounced as TH-UGH and not THEE, hence the short u sound at the end which gets spelled as "Ðu/ðu".

The word TO is generally pronounced as T-UGH and not TOO, so we spell it as "tu" so..."Welkum Tu Wikëpëdëu- Ðu Frë Ensïklöpëdëu!"

Take this.... "Ðu chrän duz not kum arownd enëmur." The word train, at least how we generally say it in Pennsylvania is CHrain, and not with a T sound . However when I want to "train" someone, the T would be pronounced as a t, and not ch. lol. How I love English!

Also, I was considering using another forgotten old buddy that English got rid of called "thorn/þ". This would be used in place where words such as "it/iþ, not/noþ, water/waþer, written/riþin, that/ðaþ" which are spelled with a T, but it isn't really emphasized hard.
(01-25-2016, 06:17 PM)Parsons Wrote: [ -> ]Tongue I think it's funny, but when I read the example, for some reason I read it in this voice in my head:

[Image: The_Swedish_Chef.jpg]

Ha! I think its the Icelandic/North Germanic aspect thats calling to you then!

Honest to God, I really think that if it wasn't for such a heavy French influence on spelling, English would more or less be written close to this form that I have made.