Bring4th

Full Version: The point of one beer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whats the point of drinking alcohol, be it beer, wine, hard liquor...if not to get drunk? I just never really understood how someone could come home after a "hard day's work and relax with a cold one". Just one or two beers? Really??? If I'm going to drink, I'm going to drink to at least get a good buzz. Maybe because I've never really liked the taste of any alcohol and just want to get the buzz started ASAP, but boy give me a 4 Loko and another tall can of beer/lager to supplement, and I'll be passed out for the night. It does what I want it to do in a very short time.

Lol I like to get things done relatively quickly. In no way am I waiting 6 hours just to get a buzz. My roommate drinks steadily throughout the day or night. Just like 1 beer an hour, and so on. Never understood that. I guess he just enjoys the taste and drinks it slow. Disgusting. lol.

Alcohol is a drug, and not a food item IMO. There is no other purpose for it other than to get drunk. You wouldn't smoke weed just to "smoke". No, you smoke it for a purpose, which is to get high. Just like you wouldn't snort coke or shoot up heroin just for the sake of snorting or shooting up.
If I get to where I have a buzz, it irritates my throat, and causes me to gag and throw up. I've thrown up after one cup of White Russian. And Rum and Coke, been there too. I try not to drink anymore because I think it's wearing down my esophagus.
(03-14-2016, 12:38 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Whats the point of drinking alcohol, be it beer, wine, hard liquor...if not to get drunk? I just never really understood how someone could come home after a "hard day's work and relax with a cold one". Just one or two beers? Really??? If I'm going to drink, I'm going to drink to at least get a good buzz. Maybe because I've never really liked the taste of any alcohol and just want to get the buzz started ASAP, but boy give me a 4 Loko and another tall can of beer/lager to supplement, and I'll be passed out for the night. It does what I want it to do in a very short time.

Lol I like to get things done relatively quickly. In no way am I waiting 6 hours just to get a buzz. My roommate drinks steadily throughout the day or night. Just like 1 beer an hour, and so on. Never understood that. I guess he just enjoys the taste and drinks it slow. Disgusting. lol.

haha, you sound like me.
I even frown on not having it on an empty stomach.

(03-14-2016, 12:38 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Alcohol is a drug, and not a food item IMO. There is no other purpose for it other than to get drunk. You wouldn't smoke weed just to "smoke". No, you smoke it for a purpose, which is to get high. Just like you wouldn't snort coke or shoot up heroin just for the sake of snorting or shooting up.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/7-health-ben...hol-247552

http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/dri...ktwcl.html

http://news.health.com/2014/09/23/health...s-of-beer/

Etc.
(03-14-2016, 12:38 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Alcohol is a drug, and not a food item IMO. There is no other purpose for it other than to get drunk. You wouldn't smoke weed just to "smoke". No, you smoke it for a purpose, which is to get high. Just like you wouldn't snort coke or shoot up heroin just for the sake of snorting or shooting up.

Actually I have a friend that smokes weed just to smoke too. He does want to get high but also just wants to smoke something at times.

About alcohol, I can enjoy drinking a beer for the sake of it and don't quite see how it is a problem. As a drug, alcohol is to me a lesser drug, so the buzz isn't all that worthwhile. I drink for taste or to alter my weed high.
When someone doesn't drink often, one beer is enough to get a strong buzz. Kile and I finished a bottle of wine together a few weeks ago, and that was too much for us (a little over 2 glasses each over the course of an evening).

I think a lot of people like the taste, especially wine and pairing it with food. There's also a thing where people enjoy 'sour' beers, which really is just to see whose palette can take the toughest beating.
There's a beer that looks like milk. Haven't tried it though.

I went once to a German restaurant. They are big on beer.

I just had one glass with my meal. It gave me a headache. It was a dark brew.
I drink to enjoy the "buzz" and don't like the taste at all, which is why I down my pint in one and drink a bit of soft-drink immediately after to remove the taste of the cider...

I too have never been one to take any drug, whether it be Alcohol or any other drug just to enjoy the experience of the taste / sensation of consuming the drug itself, as I don't see the point in consuming a somewhat harmful substance just for the sake of consuming it, but hey, each to their own!

I'm in the process of getting pissed as I type this! Wink    

I'm not quite sure what I intend to achieve in typing this reply, but considering my current activity, I thought I'd chip in my opinion.

As with any drug, moderation is key to a relatively healthy relationship with any and all intoxicating substances. 

Life as a Human being on this planet is currently a very short experience, and I personally feel that there is merit to regularly getting shitefaced, as long as the positives outweigh the negatives.  

Quote:Whats the point of drinking alcohol, be it beer, wine, hard liquor...if not to get drunk?

Couldn't you make the same argument against coffee?

My personal opinion: I don't think food and drugs are nearly as distinct as people would like to believe.  Food is not about simple nourishment--it affects us psychologically.  Since we know people often eat not out of any physical need but to effect a psychological state, what purpose would distinguishing between food and drugs serve?  Plus, certain drugs do coincide with nutritional properties: e.g. hemp and poppies.  Making the distinction just stigmatizes one.

It's more fitting to say, perhaps, that drugs are the food the pharmaceutical industry, rather than the agricultural industry, produces in order to create a perceived added value.
Alcohol has been used as a spiritual entheogen for thousands of years. The purpose is to alter the state of consciousness. It doesn't need to be a big alteration for it to be an alteration. It changes the state of awareness of the individual and often reduces egoic barriers that hold back emotions and blockages, so I believe alchohol actually has a spiritual benefit of helping to release blockages if used in the right moderation and in stable environments. Of course, like any tool for the mind it can be abused and overused.