Bring4th

Full Version: Practical uses of the archetypes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I often hear many theoretical discussions of the archetypes, but i rarely hear any practical means to use the archetypes in rituals or daily experience.

Quote:76.9 Questioner: Is there, in Ra’s opinion, any present-day value for the reuse of the tarot as an aid in the evolutionary process?

Ra: I am Ra. We shall repeat information. It is appropriate to study one form of constructed and organized distortion of the archetypical mind in depth in order to arrive at the position of being able to become and to experience archetypes at will. You have three basic choices. You may choose astrology, the twelve signs, as you call these portions of your planet’s energy web, and what has been called the ten planets. You may choose the tarot with its twenty-two so-called Major Arcana. You may choose the study of the so-called Tree of Life with its ten Sephiroth and the twenty-two relationships between the stations.

It is well to investigate each discipline, not as a dilettante, but as one who seeks the touchstone, one who wishes to feel the pull of the magnet. One of these studies will be more attractive to the seeker. Let the seeker then investigate the archetypical mind using, basically, one of these three disciplines. After a period of study, the discipline mastered sufficiently, the seeker may then complete the more important step: that is, the moving beyond the written in order to express in an unique fashion its understanding, if you may again pardon the noun, of the archetypical mind.

I believe this is best thought of as the invocation of archetypes. I would use the term archetypal assumption. This is a similar idea in the western mystery tradition as invocation, when an individual allows upon himself the energy of a deity corresponding to a sephiroth on the tree of life. A common example of this type of working would be the invocation of Thoth which is related to HOD, below is an example of this type of working.

Quote:
I am Thoth, the perfect scribe, whose hands are pure. I am the Lord of purity, the destroyer of evil, the scribe of right and truth, and that which I abominate is sin. Behold me, for I am the writing reed of the god Neb-er-tcher, the lord of laws, who giveth forth the word of wisdom and understanding, and whose speech hath dominion over the double land. I am Thoth the lord of light and truth, who maketh the feeble one to gain victory, and who avengeth the wretched and the oppressed on him that wrongeth him

I have scattered the darkness!

I have driven away the storm, and I have brought the wind to Un-Nefer, the beautiful breeze of the north wind, even as it came forth from the womb of his mother.

[font=Times New Roman][font=Times New Roman]  I have caused him to enter the hidden abode, and he shall vivify the soul of the Still-Heart, Un-Nefer, the son of Nuit, Horus triumphant![/font][/font]

This working in consciousness of magick, would be used with different rituals such as banishing and devotional worship to the deity before hand, the mantric use of the deities name,  the embellishment of the alter accordingly and so on. This is not a post to go into great detail of the working of an invocation, its possible to find that else where online or in books.

If you are familiar with the Qabalah you will know that the paths are corresponded with a card from the major arcane. I have read about different means to work with the Tarot archetypals practically and one method seems to stand out, which i haven't really experimented greatly with but it goes along these lines.

1. Meditation on the Card, along with a contemplation of its symbolism and correspondences 

2. The Visualization of the card in the minds eye.

3. The allowing of the card to take upon a life of its own in the imagination, similar to activation imaging or pathworking.

4. The assumption of the card, a directly personal association of archetype with the imagination, the taking on of the archetypal persona.

The above working would then allow someone to move from the simple contemplation of the card to the direct personal experience of what the card represents in the individuals unique fashion. I would also think that during the contemplation stage and throughout, the subconscious remembering of times in the past when we have used or embodied the archetype in question and how this energy could be helpful in future events would also become available.

Once all 22 Archetypes have been studied and experienced, one could assume an archetype as a means to help polarize in consciousness. An example of this would be a situation in daily experience when a call to will power is needed beyond the ordinary and into the extraordinary, thus the magician could be used.

The grand teaching of this is that the individual is becoming all of the archetypes, in its own unique way, offering an excellent experience for the creator to know its self fully and the self the creator. We are the craft workers in consciousness in this regards, becoming each and every archetype at will.

This is of course only my limited view on the archetypes in a practical manner, the prerequisite for all of this working would be a devotion to service to others and the creator, desiring to know in order to serve, a good banishing of protection before the beginning of any working would also be of great importance.