Bring4th

Full Version: Cooked meat and oxidation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ya know, it's always something. :-/ I've learned more about the dangers of oxidation. I knew to stay away from pretty much all vegetable/nut oils because of this same reason, except coconut and olive oil.

But I was pretty misinformed about the oxidation of cooked meat. Be careful how long and how high you cook your meat. I really can't cook worth a crap anyway. I'm pretty retarded when it comes to cooking, BUT...I learn as I go. I was doing it all wrong.

Anyway, never ever scramble or hard boil eggs. This will oxidize the cholesterol in the yolk, the most important part of the egg.  This was a huge revelation. I've been having scrambled eggs every morning for probably a few months now.....only to find out I was probably doing more harm than good...and not just because it's an egg either. So with eggs, your best bet is to eat them raw/soft boiled/sunny side up. Just make sure you don't cook the yolk. What I will do from now on is separate the yolk and mix it that up, while the whites get fried up in the coconut oil. Then just pour the yolk over the whites like a sauce and maybe add a little parmesan or shredded cheese with salt and pepper.

I generally bake all my meats like chicken and beef. Apparently when the temperature goes over 400 degrees, that's when oxidation happens big time. So for chicken breasts and beef patties, it's 350 degrees for 30 minutes and no more, probably even less than that. But the more saturated fat is in the food, the less it will get oxidized. This is why coconut oil is such a great oil to cook and bake with.

The material I read also stated never to grill your meat because of something to do with the fats getting into the fire and releasing some nasty stuff into the food.

I hope this was helpful to the meat eaters!
(04-05-2016, 02:06 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]So with eggs, your best bet is to eat them raw/soft boiled/sunny side up. Just make sure you don't cook the yolk. What I will do from now on is separate the yolk and mix it that up, while the whites get fried up in the coconut oil. Then just pour the yolk over the whites like a sauce and maybe add a little parmesan or shredded cheese with salt and pepper.

when I used to eat eggs (and I *loved* eggs), I would have them as runny as possible.  At first, I was concerned about possible salmonella (all those fear news stories). but I was able to show to myself it was perfectly ok to have runny eggs.  I grew up in a household where basically everything was cooked to death - the chicken, the pork, the scrambled eggs like you - and it was quite cool to be able to do things another way.

But the method you described sounds pretty neat!
actually i cook my ramen in this way.

where i try to cook it long enough for the white to go white but not enough for the yolk to cook. that is wierd i always thought it tasted better that way and now to have confirmation of it just makes me feel great about the wierd food choices i make. maybe it's not being weird at all but allowing the guidance of spirit guides haha.
I loved eggs too but runny eggs was something that -always- upset my stomach. Sad