Bring4th

Full Version: 'No point' telling obese people to exercise more
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I came across this article, and I think it's BS. Just more "scientific" excuses for the obese to remain obese. "Oh well I just won't even bother losing weight now because I read an article that said I'll just put back on all that weight. I told you it was my body!"

IMO, the reason why people who lose weight and regain it all, is because they never made the lifestyle change. They just "dieted" for a few months, lost the weight, but then went back to their old patterns of living which made them obese in the first place. And yes, like anything else in life that requires work, it takes mental effort.

FIRST AND FOREMOST, if you want to lose weight/fat, you don't do all exercise. Ok, you reduce your caloric intake. Any doctor that tells you otherwise is full of it. I don't care where they got their degree from. Someone eating 2500 calories a day, with their body maybe burning 1900 by itself, with another 300 calories by exercise.....still leaves a gain of 100 calories. BUT....eat only 1500 calories....have your body burn 1600...and burn 300 through exercise, you've created a 400 calorie deficit Smile

Secondly, you never ever "diet". You make a lifestyle change. Everyone is different in this area. Some can make changes very quickly, while others have to take baby steps and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as you are making changes. For example, make it a rule to never go over a certain amount of calories on most days. Make it a rule to go walking 2-3 times a week.

Lastly, get it out of your head that weight loss is some kind of complicated voodoo-like ritual. While weight loss is a slow process and food preparation can be a little tricky, the process of weight loss for 99% of the world's population will be the same...........eat less.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...39641.html

Expecting all obese people to lose weight solely by “eating less and moving more” misunderstands the nature of the condition and will never solve the obesity epidemic, leading doctors have said.

In a staunch rebuttal to commentators who argue obese people have brought the problem on themselves and should rely only on diet and exercise, experts from leading American universities said that, even after actively losing weight, biological mechanisms kick in that make it extremely difficult for previously obese people to stay a healthy weight.

Writing in The Lancet, they say recommendations just to cut back on high calorie foods might be “no more effective for the typical patient seeking weight reduction that would be a recommendation to avoid sharp objects for someone bleeding profusely”. Many obese people can lose weight for a few months, but between 80 and 95 per cent regain their lost weight.

This is because cutting back on calorie intake triggers biological systems that evolved when humans needed to survive in times of scarcity.

In the modern environment, in which food is not just plentiful, but often highly calorific and aggressively advertised, these same systems, which act on the metabolism and the brain, make it hard for previously obese people to stay lean, the doctors write.

Dr Christopher Ochner, assistant professor of paediatrics and psychiatry at the Icahn School of Medicine in New York and lead author of the paper, said that in those with chronic obesity “bodyweight seems to become biologically stamped in and defended”. “Few individuals ever truly recover from obesity; rather they suffer from ‘obesity in remission’,” he said. “They are biologically very different from individuals of the same age, sex, and bodyweight who never had obesity.”

Measures that can reverse obesity-induced changes to the body’s biology will be needed to treat many patients, according to the paper. Weight loss surgery, which can have has this effect, has been shown to be effective in maintaining long-term weight loss. Drug treatments for obesity are not yet fully proven to work.

The Lancet paper, which is published today, coincides with the release of a new study that furthers our understanding of the genetic factors that predispose people to becoming overweight. The study, in the journal Nature, identified 97 regions in the genome that influence obesity, including genes that affect signals sent by the brain that control appetite and energy use.

Dr Rachel Batterham, head of University College London Hospital’s Centre for Weight Loss, said she saw hundreds of patients “nearly every one” of whom had successfully lost weight, only to put it back on again.

“That’s because their biology wants them to return to the maximum weight they had achieved,” she said. “Once people have become overweight, then biology changes. An understanding of how difficult it is to lose that weight and keep it off needs to be communicated.”

Professor John Wilding, of the University of Liverpool’s Institute of Ageing and Chronic Disease, who helped draw up recent NICE guidelines which will see weight loss surgery given to an estimated 15,000 people a year, said that while it was always best to begin weight loss interventions with diet and exercise, too many people, including doctors, did not understand that obese people who had lost weight would regain it if they took up their previous diet.

“It is in reality much, much harder for someone who has dropped from 15 stone down to 11 stone, to stay at 11 stone, than it is for someone who has always been at 11 stone, because they are fighting a whole set of complicated biological signals that are telling their body they should be at 15 stone,” he said.
Although there is truth in all of this, the body is foremost a creature of the mind. As such, like anything else here, these are holographic representations of deeper root issues within the self that need to be worked on.
(04-11-2016, 05:03 PM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]I came across this article, and I think it's BS.

BS as in Bad Science, right?  BigSmile

Anyways I cant really add much to this debate other than acknowledging that this topic is important to you. 

And I hope you keep posting sir because whether you are aware of it or not, you have offered rich and potentially valuable catalyst on these forums. IMO, of course.

Heart
I think that first and foremost all human beings have freewill that needs to be respected and honored, if they choose to be a certain size and have a certain life style then i don't have a problem with it. I think its equally interesting to look at the psychological reasoning behind both points of view. Why do people have such an aversion to over weight people? and why do people become overweight to begin with? What is the mental and social conditioning, i believe it won't be as straight forward as what it may seem.
All manifestation is symbol.

*Edit..in following Robert Anton Wilson's advice in removing "is" from our vocabulary, I should say all manifestation "seems to me" to be symbol BigSmile