Bring4th

Full Version: Attack of the Slashes Part II: Probability/Possibility vs Possibility/Probability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since we already have one good discussion going on regarding space/time vs time/space, this seems like a good time for me to throw out a (probably somewhat trivial) question I've been pondering for awhile.

At multiple points, Ra refers to both "probability/possibility" AND "possibility/probability" vortices, when he talks about the intricacies of trying to read the future.  He seems to favor "possibility/probability" by about 2:1, judging by search results, but still uses both versions.  He even occasionally uses both in the same sentence, such as "This is approximate due to the fact that parallel possibility/probability vortices cease when action occurs and new probability/possibility vortices are begun."  (11.3)  At another point, he uses them alternately in back-to-back answers, 36.2 and 36.3.

Which leads me to wonder:  Is there actually a difference, as there is with space/time vs time/space?  Or are the terms effectively interchangeable, with the slash merely representing overlapping definitions?

Personally, I really can't find that much which would suggest they have significantly different definitions.  But it seems unlike Ra to use terminology in a vague or unclear fashion, especially since his use of slashed words is generally more precise than that.  If there was only one definition, wouldn't he have picked one variation on the term and stuck with it?

Anyone got an opinion on this one?  
Perhaps we could say that while everything is possible, not everything is probable.  One represents potential events, the other represents likely events.  Anyway, that would be my guess.  Usually when Ra uses two words together like that they are referencing a continuum of sorts.    
(04-18-2016, 12:46 PM)APeacefulWarrior Wrote: [ -> ]Which leads me to wonder:  Is there actually a difference, as there is with space/time vs time/space?  Or are the terms effectively interchangeable, with the slash merely representing overlapping definitions?

I would probably say it's the former.
I always took possibility/probability to mean that something was in the realm of possibility to happen, while taking probability/possibility to be the most likely outcome. That being said, I'm not sure if probability/possibility would then be just the most likely outcome in a 'major' set of outcomes (ie there are 6 most probable outcomes with the lead being 20%), or if there is some threshold to calling it probable/possible (such as greater than 50%).
Wouldn't it have been hilarious if Ra had actually said out loud "forward slash" in the middle of the various applicable words during the channeling sessions?   Tongue  
Would a negative S/M/C use backward slashes then?
(04-18-2016, 07:19 PM)anagogy Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it have been hilarious if Ra had actually said out loud "forward slash" in the middle of the various applicable words during the channeling sessions?   Tongue  

Maybe you're already aware, but Seth basically did this. He would literally tell them to underline key phrases.
That's interesting, I'd never even considered that there might be a difference in meaning. It's hard to fathom what it might be. To me, they feel like the same "word".
Here is one instance of Ra using the words "probable" and "possible" with different meanings:

Quote:We may note at this point while you ponder the possibility/probability vortices that although you have many, many items which cause distress and thus offer seeking and service opportunities, there is always one container in that store of peace, love, light, and joy. This vortex may be very small, but to turn one’s back upon it is to forget the infinite possibilities of the present moment. Could your planet polarize towards harmony in one fine, strong moment of inspiration? Yes, my friends. It is not probable; but it is ever possible.

Based on this, I basically agree with anagogy's and Parson's interpretations. On top of that, this statement is revealing to how Ra views possibilities and probabilities. I think it shows that if something is likely to happen, Ra calls it a probability(/possibility), and if something is less likely to happen, but still within the realm of possibility, it is a possibility(/probability).

I've had more than a few people tell me that Ra's use of this dual-style terminology is flat-out confusing and presents a barrier for them in reading the material. I usually share a tip with people, but always preface that Ra spoke in the manner they spoke for a very specific reason. Their unique terminology and syntax has a purpose, especially this instance of the dual-style phrases. To read the words differently than Ra intended is to introduce distortion, but so long as we are aware of this fact, we can do so in order to gain further insight.

Many of the instances of these phrases can be read with just the first word, eliminating the slash and second word. So when they refer to honor/responsibility, we can read it as "honor," or if it is responsibility/honor, we can read it as "responsibility." In many instances (though not all), their reference to space/time can be simplified into "space" or time/space into "time." Same for light/love and love/light.

I feel this should only be done in full awareness of why Ra used this dual-term method. But it does help some people to begin to understand the material and make sense of Ra's words.
This is statistical metaphysics.

Think of it like the wave-function for an electron: the total set of probabilities for each possibility is used to describe the electron. Once that electron is actually observed, the function "collapses" and only one outcome can describe it.

Similarly, the possibility/probability vortex allows a higher density being (clearly not us) to read off the possibilities for future events. For Ra it must be like a swirling cloud of possibilities that surround any given entity or group of entities. It is a possibility/probability (and not just a possibility) because each possibility has an associated probability, however low it might be.

Conversely, the probability/possibility vortex allows a higher density being to read off the most likely outcomes for future events. Imagine that this same swirling cloud of possibilities has a color gradient to it (say red for low probability up through violet for high probability). By looking at this vortex in terms of its gradient and not merely its shape, Ra can determine which of these possibilities are probable. It is called a probability/possibility (and not just a probability because each probable outcome must also be possible.

It is also worth keeping in mind that a vortex is a spiralling of matter or energy into a central point. In the case of probability and possibility, the central point is, of course, the present moment. Thus, the possibilities and probabilities are in constant motion, flowing from our distant future toward our very next moment, finally resolving into actuality in the present moment---the singularity into which these possibilities and probabilities swirl.