Bring4th

Full Version: Eye twitching while meditating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes when I meditate, my eyes twitch by itself. It kept moving up and down.

So, I am curious, does it happen to anyone? And does any one have any slight idea why this happens?

Thanks for reading the post.
I've had spasms and twitching before, I took it as something to use to help keep myself from being bothered, kinda like meditating in a swarm of mosquitoes.. how calm and un-bothered can I remain?
No eye twitches, but I am sometimes bothered by muscle twitching (thigh, usually), and this is as likely to happen during meditation as any other time.

Someone told me that this is a result of caffeine intake. Might be, as I drink quite a lot of tea.
it is normal i think. while the energy situation in and out of your body changes, the various energy patterns in and around you move or change or get replaced, its possible that they affect you. it can be like a feeling of 'weight' in some parts of the body, or it may affect some organs to twitch involuntarily.

it will pass probably. just keep going.
It's the result of relaxing... Ever had spasms before going to sleep? Most people occasionally twitch and move involuntarily before falling asleep. I would not read too much into it.
For me it's usually an itching that I have to scratch. I've heard about it being the ego not wanting to let go.
Do you meditate with your eyes open or closed.
I used to have mine closed but when I went to my zen center to learn their technique I was taught to have my eyes partially open. This keeps you aware of your surroundings and grounded in the present (and helps stop you falling asleep!). It took a lot of getting used to but it works for me.

Anyhow, back to twitching. It could just be your body's way of relaxing. Sometimes my stomach gurgles which is a bit offputting for me. The first time I went to my meditation group it gurgled the whole evening - much to my horror! Fortunately the rest of the group weren't fazed at all, they said it was just my body relaxing and that other people twitch, yawn, some even cry !,,,copied
(10-01-2010, 05:05 AM)Blair Wrote: [ -> ]Anyhow, back to twitching. It could just be your body's way of relaxing. Sometimes my stomach gurgles which is a bit offputting for me. The first time I went to my meditation group it gurgled the whole evening - much to my horror! Fortunately the rest of the group weren't fazed at all, they said it was just my body relaxing and that other people twitch, yawn, some even cry !,,,copied

That's nice to know Blair, I'm a 'cryer' Smile Not every time, I'm not sad there is just lots of tears, I get rather wet Tongue
If you would like to help your body acclimate to the energy patterns mentioned by Unity100, I would suggest drinking more water and make sure you are consuming enough electrolytes such as potassium. Fresh bananas, coconut, cucumbers or melon should help with that.

Brittany

My eyes twitch ALL the time, but it is very likely that this is due to residual side effects of the powerful antipsychotics the doctors had me on for so long. Sometimes it feels like my eye is just going to pop out of my head, but as of yet nothing has been able to treat it whatsoever. I am wondering what distortion in my life it is connected to...if I could heal it if I figured out what needed to be balanced, or if it's just one of those random occurences.
Aha!
I've been looking for a twitching post all week. I'm wondering if there is some metaphysical element involved. It is certainly electrical, I don't see why it couldn't be.
I'm really looking for anyone who knows of any body map that might show the connection between a muscle and a chakra. I suspect that I'm encountering some sort of blockage because my body will twitch in quiver in areas that seem to correspond with my thoughts. If I can somehow use this as a tool, rather than be curiously annoyed by it, i'd be over the moon!
As usual, I'm unsatisfied with modern medicine/sciences' tentative conclusions. Nobody really seems to know why muscles twitch. I can only find recycled speculation.