Bring4th

Full Version: Homesteading Wanderers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are there any other Wanderers out there pursuing a homesteading lifestyle? Is anyone else interested in living this way?

My husband and I share a dream of owning a plot of land, building a small house and doing our best to live off of the land. In this life we have been blessed with the opportunity to half purchase/half inherit some land that my family has been living on since the 1940's. We had quite a bit of catalyst to face when we decided to move here, mostly from his parents who firmly believe that one should "pave their own way" in this world. They were so upset with our decision, they really couldn't understand why we would decide to live in such a way... Anyway we seized the opportunity that was in front of us, craving a different way of life completely, as far out of the system as we could.

For now we are still in the system, both working to pay off our land and to build our little home. We've spent the last couple years building gardens for ourselves and family, growing mass amounts of vegetables and learning to preserve them. It has been absolutely amazing, a lot of hard work (taking up most of our time off) but so rewarding doing things for ourselves and working with the plants and the forest. There isn't anything I would rather be doing, these are moments of pure joy   Smile  though I know we have a long LONG way to go to become self sustainable, I am quite looking forward to the journey.

Since we've changed our lifestyle I've actually started to envision us having children, while before I was definitely on the fence. I can't help but think - if we set up our land with fruit trees, nut trees, berries, herbs and preserve the wild forest, perhaps our children won't have to endure the system like we did. They need not to worry about food because Nature would provide. The land would be there for them (if they so wished! You never know who your children will be / what catalyst they have arranged for us all!  Tongue  )

I know that our situation is a unique one, but I am eager to hear any other stories if this path resonates with yours.

Love and Light Heart
Lovely dream, and path, and thread - and welcome, Singing Cedar!

This is our goal as well (and working on it)... Heart

Not yet read this myself, but sounds interesting: From No Idea, No Expertise & No Money To A Successful Permaculture Farm In 5 Years (.pdf)

-`ღ´-
My wife and me are homesteaders. We were lucky enough that her family owned a nice piece of land. Her whole family lives in it, and they all farm. Its been hard but very enjoyable. We started off trying to make it in the world. Working jobs, paying rent, and all the modern life stuff. It just was not for us. I couldn't find a decent job, that I had to work all my hours and it be in construction. I got extremely tired of working all day, and my body hitting all the time. So one day I just could not bear it any longer. I told my boss hey things have changed in my household and could only work part time anymore. He wouldn't have it, and I quit on the spot. My wife and I spirraled for awhile finacially. We lost our home moved back in with her mother, with are two children. There we where At ground zero again. I would try and find small jobs, and donate plasma for small amounts of money. She came to me one day saying she wanted to homestead, and build are own small home. I was very exhausted, and readily agreed. At the time I didn't really believe it was the answer. That was about a year ago. So this past summer we really got into, and just the previous year they had some of the land cleared. So we started cleaning the land of large debris, started forming gardens, and building pens for chickens and goats. It taught are children a lot this far. We plan on walking this road, it's a struggle but I am much happier doing thus, and my whole family is as well. We still struggle against what her family wants out of and for us. I have put those out of my mind and don't let it annoy me. We have big dreams, we want to set up a little market by the road selling and teaching people about the goodness of fresh food. We are not doing an ordinary style of gardening either. We are both fascinated with permaculture.
This has been my goal as well for some time. There is a small group involved. We will be buying a track of land on which to get off the grid.

In the meantime I have a rural property and I treat it with respect, and all the wildlife on it with respect, and do what I can to be self-sufficient. It's about symbiotic relationships in my mind. Mother Earth being the host for us all. 

Homesteading, or getting off the grid, has many benefits in my mind. You unplug from the human drama, the corruption of municipal power monopolies, and get in touch with nature. I have a business, so I am not saying businesses are all bad; but there are businesses with integrity and those that are just about greed.

As I see it nature is the balance of our tech world. I don't think we should go backwards and eschew technology. I think we should embrace knowledge, but with compassion. Being on a device—phone, tablet, computer—can be balanced with being in nature and connecting with the earth, communication with animals and plants.
Welcome Singing Cedar!

This has not been my personal calling. The closest I can relate to living off grid would be my long standing attraction to paying off my debts, paying for a one way ticket to Tibet, packing several days provisions, telling my wife I intend to return within 5 years and literally winging it on a hope and a prayer. But that would not be my true calling either, more like wanting to run away from catalyst and discipline myself through old fashioned means (assuming I did not die in the attempt, that is).

So my offering to your thread is merely to add to the encouragement by sharing a couple of Ra quotes. I will bold the focal points which inspired me to share them here.  Smile

Quote:65.12 Questioner: Then each of the Wanderers here acts as a function of the biases he has developed in any way he sees fit to communicate or simply be in his polarity to aid the total consciousness of the planet. Is there any, shall I say, more physical way that he aids in— what I mean is, do the vibrations somehow add, just as electrical polarity or charging a battery or something? Does that also aid the planet, just the physical presence of the Wanderers?

Ra: I am Ra. This is correct and the mechanism is precisely as you state. We intended this meaning in the second portion of our previous answer.

You may, at this time, note that as with any entities, each Wanderer has its unique abilities, biases, and specialties so that from each portion of each density represented among the Wanderers comes an array of pre-incarnative talents which then may be expressed upon this plane which you now experience so that each Wanderer, in offering itself before incarnation, has some special service to offer in addition to the doubling effect of planetary love and light and the basic function of serving as beacon or shepherd.

Thus there are those of fifth density whose abilities to express wisdom are great. There are fourth- and sixth-density Wanderers whose ability to serve as, shall we say, passive radiators or broadcasters of love and love/light are immense. There are many others whose talents brought into this density are quite varied.

Thus Wanderers have three basic functions once the forgetting is penetrated, the first two being basic, the tertiary one being unique to that particular mind/body/spirit complex.

We may note at this point while you ponder the possibility/probability vortices that although you have many, many items which cause distress and thus offer seeking and service opportunities, there is always one container in that store of peace, love, light, and joy. This vortex may be very small, but to turn one’s back upon it is to forget the infinite possibilities of the present moment. Could your planet polarize towards harmony in one fine, strong moment of inspiration? Yes, my friends. It is not probable; but it is ever possible.

Quote:2.1 Questioner: I’m guessing that there are enough people who would understand what you are saying, interested enough, for us to make a book of communications with it and I wondered if you would agree to this, us making a book, and if so, I was thinking that possibly a bit of historical background on yourself would be in order. [Inaudible] question.

Ra: I am Ra. The possibility of communication, as you would call it, from the One to the One through distortion acceptable for meaning is the reason we contacted this group. There are few who will grasp, without significant distortion, that which we communicate through this connection with this mind/body/spirit complex. However, if it be your desire to share our communications with others we have the distortion towards a perception that this would be most helpful in regularizing and crystallizing your own patterns of vibration upon the levels of experience which you call the life. If one is illuminated, are not all illuminated? Therefore, we are oriented towards speaking for you in whatever supply of speakingness you may desire. To teach/learn is the Law of One in one of its most elementary distortions.

So I would say that an autonomous lifestyle, exemplified through a homestead way of life would be "most helpful", indeed!

Beyond that, I think Don's own earthly vision was a type of homestead.

Oh, and one more Ra quote...

Quote:It is also to be noted that an adept is one which has freed itself more and more from the constraints of the thoughts, opinions, and bonds of other-selves. - 80.10

Just wanted to add this one as it seems quite relevant when going against the wisdom imparted (usually unrequested) by family members!  BigSmile

Heart
Ah, love Nicholas' quote collections! Heart

A book comes to mind, about the gardening aspect of the topic, published last year - again not yet read it myself (though it adorns my bookshelf for quite a while RollEyes):

Will Bonsall's Essential Guide to Radical, Self-Reliant Gardening

-`ღ´-

P.S. The ebook I linked to above isn't too useful (I think), sorry.
This is a dream of mine! I would love to live out in nature with a mate, off the land.

I know that this way of life reminds me of Jim and Carla. In Jim's story he bought a plot of land and built his house/cabin by himself.
The dream taken a step further by some amazing projects:
-`ღ´-
~~

[Image: Agriculture+in+Ancient+Egypt+2.jpg]

[Image: robert-crumb-skulptur---mr--natural---tw...r-thus.jpg]

https://beingsakin.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/001.jpg

Polly bent over him and wiped the moisture from his face. “Oh, I’m so glad it’s over!” she broke out impulsively. “It just broke my heart to see you suffer so, Father.”

Rosicky motioned her to sit down on the chair where the tea-kettle had been, and looked up at her with that lively affectionate gleam in his eyes. “You was awful good to me, I won’t never forgit dat. I hate it to be sick on you like dis. Down at de barn I say to myself, dat young girl ain’t had much experience in sickness, I don’t want to scare her, an’ maybe she’s got a baby comin’ or somet’ing.”
Polly took his hand. He was looking at her so intently and affectionately and confidingly; his eyes seemed to caress her face, to regard it with pleasure. She frowned with her funny streaks of eyebrows, and then smiled back at him.
“I guess maybe there is something of that kind going to happen. But I haven’t told anyone yet, not my mother or Rudolph. You’ll be the first to know.”
His hand pressed hers. She noticed that it was warm again. The twinkle in his yellow-brown eyes seemed to come nearer.
“I like mighty well to see dat little child, Polly,” was all he said. Then he closed his eyes and lay half-smiling. But Polly sat still, thinking hard. She had a sudden feeling that nobody in the world, not her mother, not Rudolph, or anyone, really loved her as much as old Rosicky did. It perplexed her. She sat frowning and trying to puzzle it out. It was as if Rosicky had a special gift for loving people, something that was like an ear for music or an eye for colour. It was quiet, unobtrusive; it was merely there. You saw it in his eyes, — perhaps that was why they were merry. You felt it in his hands, too. After he dropped off to sleep, she sat holding his warm, broad, flexible brown hand. She had never seen another in the least like it. She wondered if it wasn’t a kind of gypsy hand, it was so alive and quick and light in its communications, — very strange in a farmer. Nearly all the farmers she knew had huge lumps of fists, like mauls, or they were knotty and bony and uncomfortable-looking, with stiff fingers. But Rosicky’s was like quicksilver, flexible, muscular, about the colour of a pale cigar, with deep, deep creases across the palm. It wasn’t nervous, it wasn’t a stupid lump; it was a warm brown human hand, with some cleverness in it, a great deal of generosity, and something else which Polly could only call “gypsy-like,” — something nimble and lively and sure, in the way that animals are.
Polly remembered that hour long afterwards; it had been like an awakening to her. It seemed to her that she had never learned so much about life from anything as from old Rosicky’s hand. It brought her to herself; it communicated some direct and untranslatable message.

-- Willa Cather (1873-1947; American novelist and short-story writer) from "Neighbor Rosicky", in Obscure Destinies (1932) https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/cather/...pter1.html

http://www.bedlamfarm.com/2016/10/21/the...her-woman/

[Image: helen-and-scott-nearing-final-homestead.jpg][Image: Scott-and-Helen-Nearing_-p_web.jpg?1379045161]

http://www.americanswhotellthetruth.org/...tt-nearing
http://www.context.org/iclib/ic26/nearing/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homestead...lideshow=5

[Image: aten.gif]

[Image: qUQ4fuh.gif] 

The Zucchini Song Tongue
[video=veoh]http://www.veoh.com/watch/v5822449wfP4atMK[/video]
At the moment, I am still learning more about gardening and vegetables but in the future, I would love to live in the forest.
If I leave now or too soon, a deep part inside me feels that I am abandoning my task in the city, which is to heal it.
New Permaculture Survival Guide (.pdf)

(I'm aware I'm making this drift off into a(nother) permaculture thread - sorry...)

On another note, we've moved to our little farm now and are starting on the adventure ourselves, with an existing orchard, veg garden and a couple of rescue animals. If interested, you can watch a short video about one of the cows here. Blush

-`ღ´-
Has anyone ever noticed that cow dung (if fed hay, not silage) has an upward spiralling shape? Blush BigSmile  I'll have tot take a pic...  Tongue
(01-31-2017, 11:19 AM)Nía Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone ever noticed that cow dung (if fed hay, not silage) has an upward spiralling shape? Blush BigSmile  I'll have tot take a pic...  Tongue

Not only cow dung: 15 Plants That Teach Us Sacred Geometry In All Its Beauty  Heart
(01-31-2017, 11:19 AM)Nía Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone ever noticed that cow dung (if fed hay, not silage) has an upward spiralling shape? Blush BigSmile  I'll have tot take a pic...  Tongue

Holy s***!

There seems to be some kind of self sufficiency trend going on. I have several close friends that are currently being homesteaders or really want to. Are they wanderers? Maybe fourth density new arrivals. I hope this is a reaction against our unsustainable society and not a subconscious realisation of s*** hitting the fan soon.
How cool is that (while I myself would rather go for hand tools for the harvesting and thrashing process)! Smile

(10-22-2016, 11:21 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]This has been my goal as well for some time. There is a small group involved. We will be buying a track of land on which to get off the grid.

In the meantime I have a rural property and I treat it with respect, and all the wildlife on it with respect, and do what I can to be self-sufficient. It's about symbiotic relationships in my mind. Mother Earth being the host for us all. 

Homesteading, or getting off the grid, has many benefits in my mind. You unplug from the human drama, the corruption of municipal power monopolies, and get in touch with nature. I have a business, so I am not saying businesses are all bad; but there are businesses with integrity and those that are just about greed.

As I see it nature is the balance of our tech world. I don't think we should go backwards and eschew technology. I think we should embrace knowledge, but with compassion. Being on a device—phone, tablet, computer—can be balanced with being in nature and connecting with the earth, communication with animals and plants.

lol I so see you as a greedy person Diana, BigSmile just kidding, definitely the balance with devices is so needed.. There was this wonderful classic published in 1973 the secret life of plants, just reading a few pages makes you want to get off grid immediately !! lol