Bring4th

Full Version: Vegan/Omnivore Blood Sugar..Please Read
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Blood sugar levels should be maintained by all of us whether we chose to eat or not eat animal products. Thats obvious for good OVERALL health.

The Insulin Index, which I just discovered, basically takes into consideration the fat/protein effect of foods on insulin secretion. Fat and protein will increase insulin so even if something is low carb/low sugar, that particular food may increase more insulin than another food with the same GI #. I was really amazed by this! Mainly eggs, cheese, some vegetables have "spikes." And wheat/sugar/trans fats/stress are truly the devil for long term health.

It's really a step beyond the popular and still very relevant Glycemic Index. I believe ALL people should eat low GI/low II.

All food, even fat and protein turns to glucose so our insulin is like our special weapon to keep glucose levels at a normal range which according to my research normal fasting glucose levels are between 70-100mg/dl or 110 depending on who you ask, though even fasting glucose at 110 is/can be considered prediabetic. Get an A1C test to confirm if you're diabetic though. That's the whole picture pretty much.

You don't want to abuse your pancreas by having lots of insulin being released over the years. I recommend getting rid of all wheat, starchy vegetables, and limit bean intake. Veggies like carrots/cauliflower use in moderation. I was surprised cauliflower was that high on the II list. Few fruits should be consumed like berries and an occasional apple/orange. Stick to the good ol greens. Supplement your fat/calorie needs by eating coconut oil/milk and using olive oil.

I'm on paleo/ketogenic diet as of a few days ago. I'm in ketosis now so I especially need to follow low II/low GI. My fasting glucose when I woke up was 81mg/dl Smile

[Image: f93662cd71f46fedacd2b0f234bfa12c.jpg]
A lot of this also involves how you prepare and combine foods.

I can get away with eating once (or twice) a day, with very few issues in terms of energetic flow.  That despite a massive *spike* when I dump all that food into my system.

Whole foods are probably quite helpful in this.  A lot of fibre content etc, helps regulate the flow.
(11-15-2016, 08:36 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of this also involves how you prepare and combine foods.

I can get away with eating once (or twice) a day, with very few issues in terms of energetic flow.  That despite a massive *spike* when I dump all that food into my system.

Whole foods are probably quite helpful in this.  A lot of fibre content etc, helps regulate the flow.

Yes it does involve variables of prep/combination like you shouldn't combine lots of sugars (carbs) with fat/protein. It'll knock you out of ketosis. I always eat raw veggies as I know how much the nutrition is stripped away by cooking and steaming.  Rule of thumb, never cook something that doesn't need to be.

It's good to eat 2-3 times a day w/no snacks. But when you're in ketosis, you don't get hungry nearly as much as you would if your body was running on glucose. I love it....no more late night McDonalds or Turkey Hill cravings and in general. Ah I so look forward to my breakfast.......3 raw egg yolks with about 5 pieces of bacon mixed together. It's like a bacon soup and that fat keeps me full for hours. It's kind of orgasmic!

The only animal products I eat as "staple" are egg yolks (raw), bacon (uncured), cream cheese. I can't even consume normal dairy and cheese because of the whey effect on insulin. Meats like beef/chicken are now eaten once in awhile because of the insulin effect they have. Can't eat seafood much due to the
high protein and mercury.

Interesting enough, lean meats which are praised as healthy really increase insulin more than fatty meats. Keep on demonizing fat medical "professionals!"

I'm guessing I was probably insulin resistant literally up until a few day ago even after I lost all the weight...so a ketogenic diet with plenty of fat with moderate protein/low carbs works best for me now. And as always...wheat/sugar/trans fat/stress are your worst enemies and it's a shame doctors still recommend the same crappy dietary guidelines that's killing us. "Got diabetes? Here take these meds! Eat low fat and low sugar and lots of whole grains!". Get lost.

Fasting glucose was 77 mg/dl this morning Smile
(11-16-2016, 02:41 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing I was probably insulin resistant literally up until a few day ago even after I lost all the weight...so a ketogenic diet with plenty of fat with moderate protein/low carbs works best for me now.

well, it does sound like this has been a lifelong journey to figure this puzzle out.  I do hope your body 'recalibrates' and undoes any/all harm that you subjected it to from all those years of 'faulty diets'.

I'm quite happy with my own system (vegan), and it's something I've fine tuned over the last couple of years.  There are 'pitfalls' in any kind of regime, and it's just up to the individual to monitor the feedback that their body gives them.  Tired?  Overweight?  Bloaty?  Constipated?  Sore joints?  Always starving?  Low stamina?  etc etc.  

/ /

More directly, to your OP, diabetes (like cancer and heart disease) seem to be skyrocketing in incidence.  I'm sure the modern (accepted) diet has some linkage.
(11-17-2016, 01:03 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-16-2016, 02:41 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing I was probably insulin resistant literally up until a few day ago even after I lost all the weight...so a ketogenic diet with plenty of fat with moderate protein/low carbs works best for me now.

well, it does sound like this has been a lifelong journey to figure this puzzle out.  I do hope your body 'recalibrates' and undoes any/all harm that you subjected it to from all those years of 'faulty diets'.

I'm quite happy with my own system (vegan), and it's something I've fine tuned over the last couple of years.  There are 'pitfalls' in any kind of regime, and it's just up to the individual to monitor the feedback that their body gives them.  Tired?  Overweight?  Bloaty?  Constipated?  Sore joints?  Always starving?  Low stamina?  etc etc.  

/ /

More directly, to your OP, diabetes (like cancer and heart disease) seem to be skyrocketing in incidence.  I'm sure the modern (accepted) diet has some linkage.

Thanks man! Always keep educating yourself. Not too many people really pay attention to blood sugar levels.

Results speak for themselves. My depression, crazy thoughts, and mood swings have gone down a lot...like a REAL lot! So much that I know I'm on the right path. Along with my blood sugar, my mind is far more emotionally stable too. And no more food obsessions because of wheat's opiate like properties. The weight is going down as well instead of starving myself the past 2 years.

In Dr. Davis' book Wheat Belly, he explains that the proteins in modern wheat actually fuel mental illnesses and all sorts of cardiovascular/auto immune diseases.

Can I ask what do you eat on like an average day? I'm just curios.

True ketogenic diets focus on fat as fuel. It's not like how Atkins touted steak egg and cheese every minute lol. You have to eat veggies obviously. I'm in full agreement with that. Ironic too that meats raise insulin. For optimum long term health, please monitor your blood sugar. Fat has the lowest insulin response of all macronutrients. I think some vegans get the wrong idea of fat, like it has to exclusively come from animal sources. Some of the best fats....olive oil/coconut oil/avocado oil are obviously animal free and I utilize these fats in my diet daily. And of course we have to believe that fat is the devil.

But hands down, if someone asked me what 1 food should be eliminated from EVERYONE'S diet........its wheat....period.

Peace!
(11-18-2016, 02:07 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Can I ask what do you eat on like an average day? I'm just curios.

Happy to answer that, although I'll probably have to preface things a little, to give context.

So I do my 'main cooking' about twice a week.  Then I store all that cooking in plastic containers in the fridge, and then reheat in a frypan.

That cooking consists of two main portions:

1) brown rice/lentils/beans.  This stuff is soaked for varying amounts of time (most for the beans, least for the lentils), and then it's pressure cooked.  Stuff comes out wonderfully, and I could just gobble things up there, if I wanted to Smile

2) vege mix.  This is also pressure cooked, and consists of a seasonal mix; but usually involves diced potatoes, cuts of carrots, onions, sliced pumpkin, kale, cabbage, sweet potato, and what-not.  It's a generous mix.

So my 'meals' consist of frying up Number 1) in olive oil and coconut oil, and seasoning with sea salt (as Dr Davis mentions, most modern agricultural methods are quite deficient in trace elements, and so sea salt is a great way to counterbalance that!).

Once that is done, and the frypan is emptied, I'll reheat the vege mix in the same frypan.  Add a bit of water and also season that.  That comes out quite hot as well.

To go with that 'solid food', I'll have a 50/50 combo of fresh juice (carrot, apple, oranges, ginger, beetroot, cucumber) and something blended (small amounts of nuts, chia seeds, banana, kale, and water to hold it all together).

/ /

So as you can see, my 'meals', which I sometimes only eat one of for a day, contain quite a diverse range of ingredients, spanning the whole spectrum of the plant-food kingdom.  That's the only real way to make it work, I've found.  But hey, that's just me and my own personal preferences.  I know that some folks prefer their veggies raw, and don't do that well with juices and carbs.  But my body runs fine on them.  

(11-18-2016, 02:07 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Results speak for themselves. My depression, crazy thoughts, and mood swings have gone down a lot...like a REAL lot! So much that I know I'm on the right path. Along with my blood sugar, my mind is far more emotionally stable too. And no more food obsessions because of wheat's opiate like properties. The weight is going down as well instead of starving myself the past 2 years.

That's also pretty awesome.  Mental stability is truly one of the virtues of finding a regime that works for one.

(11-18-2016, 02:07 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]But hands down, if someone asked me what 1 food should be eliminated from EVERYONE'S diet........its wheat....period.

as you can see ... no wheat in my diet Smile  And also very few grains.  The brown rice is brilliant, and combined with either lentils or beans (doesn't need to be both), it forms a complete protein profile for the human digestive system.
(11-18-2016, 05:43 PM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-18-2016, 02:07 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Can I ask what do you eat on like an average day? I'm just curios.

Happy to answer that, although I'll probably have to preface things a little, to give context.

So I do my 'main cooking' about twice a week.  Then I store all that cooking in plastic containers in the fridge, and then reheat in a frypan.

That cooking consists of two main portions:

1) brown rice/lentils/beans.  This stuff is soaked for varying amounts of time (most for the beans, least for the lentils), and then it's pressure cooked.  Stuff comes out wonderfully, and I could just gobble things up there, if I wanted to Smile

2) vege mix.  This is also pressure cooked, and consists of a seasonal mix; but usually involves diced potatoes, cuts of carrots, onions, sliced pumpkin, kale, cabbage, sweet potato, and what-not.  It's a generous mix.

So my 'meals' consist of frying up Number 1) in olive oil and coconut oil, and seasoning with sea salt (as Dr Davis mentions, most modern agricultural methods are quite deficient in trace elements, and so sea salt is a great way to counterbalance that!).

Once that is done, and the frypan is emptied, I'll reheat the vege mix in the same frypan.  Add a bit of water and also season that.  That comes out quite hot as well.

To go with that 'solid food', I'll have a 50/50 combo of fresh juice (carrot, apple, oranges, ginger, beetroot, cucumber) and something blended (small amounts of nuts, chia seeds, banana, kale, and water to hold it all together).

/ /

So as you can see, my 'meals', which I sometimes only eat one of for a day, contain quite a diverse range of ingredients, spanning the whole spectrum of the plant-food kingdom.  That's the only real way to make it work, I've found.  But hey, that's just me and my own personal preferences.  I know that some folks prefer their veggies raw, and don't do that well with juices and carbs.  But my body runs fine on them.  

(11-18-2016, 02:07 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Results speak for themselves. My depression, crazy thoughts, and mood swings have gone down a lot...like a REAL lot! So much that I know I'm on the right path. Along with my blood sugar, my mind is far more emotionally stable too. And no more food obsessions because of wheat's opiate like properties. The weight is going down as well instead of starving myself the past 2 years.

That's also pretty awesome.  Mental stability is truly one of the virtues of finding a regime that works for one.

(11-18-2016, 02:07 AM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]But hands down, if someone asked me what 1 food should be eliminated from EVERYONE'S diet........its wheat....period.

as you can see ... no wheat in my diet Smile  And also very few grains.  The brown rice is brilliant, and combined with either lentils or beans (doesn't need to be both), it forms a complete protein profile for the human digestive system.

Nice man. Making meals ahead of time is wise, especially when your strapped for time. I need to start eating some chia/hemp seeds. I could then make my own milk. The store rapes me for coconut milk.