Bring4th

Full Version: Symbols - sigils - visualization of intent/will
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, welcome to another installment of glow has some weird paranoia.
Is it paranoia though it discernment.

I have a feeling we on a regular basis are exposed to symbols that we fixate on and charge with our attention/excitement/loyalty/love/trust/longing..... What ever these symbols are they really might not even represent what we think they do.

I guess I'm talking about magic here, maybe I'm being paranoid about this,.... maybe not.

I use symbols sometimes as a reminder. I have one that to me symbolizes balance, one that symbolizes my soul, one that symbolizes infinite divine love, another that represent some aspirations I have that I don't need to go into. I meditate with these symbols and I'm sure they impress upon my subconscious.
Building intent basically over time.

Anyways I have had an aversion to using any symbol taught or already in use. The feeling was I don't truly know what the creators will was, I don't know who has used it, what their intent was.... seriously these aren't researched thoughts so may be bat poop crazy. I'm not even sure that is how it works but something tells me I only want my symbols to mean 1 thing, what I intend them to mean.

I started receiving sumbols in dreams about 2 years ago I can't find them anywhere online so figure my subconscious or guides found a work around so I can move on without being of two minds about symbols already in use.

Any thoughts on this. Have you all considered the symbols we see might not even mean what we think?
Does that matter? Say the heart as an example, I don't think that one is "tainted" in anyway but for brain storming sake we need an example.

With all the times hearts are drawn and shown and sold in all manner of product would it mean anything, have any energy - magical energy harnessing power if that symbol actually was invented to represent material gain for its creator? Or war or well anything really. Can our intention and energy be used that way for another's gain.

Witches seem to believe you can get others to charge symbols for you. I don't really study this stuff but it adds credence to my concern that we don't ever know the source or intent of a symbol unless it's created by us or someone we trust implicitly.

K enough crazy for one post. I thank you all for giving me a place and group to discuss this stuff with.
(01-09-2017, 10:55 PM)Glow Wrote: [ -> ]Say the heart as an example, I don't think that one is "tainted" in anyway but for brain storming sake we need an example.

you inspired me to google. & i found this:

"The Heart Symbol Is About Birth Control (and Balls)" haha

http://www.cracked.com/article_19909_6-f...think.html
Of course, we live in a reality that is composed of symbols. However, I don't think something created yourself is necessarily 'better' since it seems to fundamentally have an idea of fear of impurity if that is what you think. One of the arguments I would make is that the technique of using your belief as a tool and crafting sigils is fundamental to chaos magic as well as balanced magic. So, just because you make it doesn't mean it is instantly more wholesome than anything else out there, that seems rather self-important, but I can see why one would think that.
(01-09-2017, 11:12 PM)isis Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2017, 10:55 PM)Glow Wrote: [ -> ]Say the heart as an example, I don't think that one is "tainted" in anyway but for brain storming sake we need an example.

you inspired me to google. & i found this:

"The Heart Symbol Is About Birth Control (and Balls)" haha

http://www.cracked.com/article_19909_6-f...think.html
That link just got better and better.
Not sure why I never googled these more common ones.

Funny I almost used the peace sign as the example.

Interesting the image people use thinking it conveys thoughts of peace and hope actually signifies despair and defeat/helplessness. I realize meanings can change, I guess though it's why I have not wanted to use a known symbol.

Jeez what a bummer it'd be to find out your "peace symbol" tattoo is of "a man indispair over the world gone crazy"... Eeek
(01-09-2017, 11:52 PM)Aion Wrote: [ -> ]Of course, we live in a reality that is composed of symbols. However, I don't think something created yourself is necessarily 'better' since it seems to fundamentally have an idea of fear of impurity if that is what you think. One of the arguments I would make is that the technique of using your belief as a tool and crafting sigils is fundamental to chaos magic as well as balanced magic. So, just because you make it doesn't mean it is instantly more wholesome than anything else out there, that seems rather self-important, but I can see why one would think that.

Ahh not that self important phrase. I really don't have that. It isn't because I think it would be purer or superior ... It might actually be fear. That old Christian programming raising its head again. Mark of the beast maybe, I think I'm just warey of using a symbol I don't know the actual meaning of.

This all started with a symbol I saw in a dream but it wasn't a dream. I really liked the flow and shape and considered getting a tattoo of it. But I couldn't figure out what it represented.

It looked like the Egyptian symbol for protection but not quite, it flowed more like some of supposed angel scripts but none exactly like it. That's is sort of when I ran across a lot of symbols and saw how old some of these are, how the heck could we really know their meaning and it got me off having anything tattooed. Except there is one I really love and that one may happen.

I don't have fear about the ones I use, I didn't create them they aren't of me so it's not a self important thing but more ah "ok how about these, will these work for you?" And I find them quite comforting. I guess I do have some fear about utilizing other symbols not because they are impure but because someone might know enough to use the energy for less kind uses. I don't even fully know if that's possible really, that could just be something that got planted when I was looking up symbols and saw conversations between witches about getting their stuff charged.

See why I avoid dogma? I kind of need my head free of that so I don't create beliefs that lurk in the background.... Lots to think about here.

Thank you for your input.
Can I mention the self important thing? I'm not really taking offence just surprised because first Ricdaw then you said it.

So trying to be honest with myself I googled the definition.
"having an exaggerated sense of one's own value or importance."

I don't see how either of you are getting that. I'm a talker, I don't filter all that well, I have a lot of ideas i have no one in person to discuss and dissect them, maybe all my posts seem over confident, when really I'm looking for opportunities to learn/disassemble my thought maybe I'm inadvertently rubbing people the wrong way but I have no sense of self importance.

In fact the only thing I think is special about me compared to a lot of the worlds population is I know how incredible special we all are. Completely equal and beautiful but the same.

I actually lost a friend last week because I consistently wouldn't back him up that "we (those awakening" are some how better. He wanted to constantly elevate us as a group and I don't want to be elevated. Fine if he does but it's not what I believe.

Anyways sorry for the interruption. I have been enjoying the discussion and apologize if my post are coming across cocky, I'm just eager and curious maybe I need to filter out some passion,
Memes are like modern sigils. Emotional energy channeled by potentially millions of people towards a single image. The compression of a complex idea into one symbol is powerful. I think it does get charged due to the energy that goes towards it.

I think that if someone creates a symbol for a specific purpose, but it gets appropriated by a group of people, the energy going towards it is of a specific kind and is now representative of whatever the main belief is. Like the peace symbol or the heart symbol. I believe that because people put their belief in it being represented a certain way, with actual peace in mind, it does contain that. Now if someone charges an image personally and then hands it over to someone I could see that being more like a crystal that may have a specific kind of charged energy, which would be different than an image that is in the public domain, so to speak.

Then you have stuff like the Sri Yantra, which is a geometric representation of the divine feminine, love, the creative potency, and the union of God, to put it relatively simply (simplest would be seeing it as divine feminine). Symbols that fall in line with sacred geometry are more pristine I think than other symbols might be. Especially since the people that use them or create them enter a sort of meditation about the divine nature of reality.

That's my take on it right now. I've recently been thinking about the power of symbols that one could create on your own. Like, trying to condense complex ideas into certain simple drawings that represent the idea or thing that I want is a way for my subconscious to contemplate the idea in more depth and thereby crystallize it more into being. Like, putting a symbol of intent down enables the creative energy to go into motion which allows the subconscious to feed your conscious mind until things click more, or you get led intuitively to find what you're looking for, etc. But that's another aspect of symbolism that I've been exploring. Mostly for the aspect of creativity; trying to develop stories by drawing out the powers of the subconscious and what not.

I get where you're coming from though. I would not want to use a symbol that is secretly representing something else haha
sriyantra
- Love it! All so interesting.
I appreciate your perspective, knowledge and ideas. Much appreciatedSmile
Sri Yantra is something I had not heard of and seems worth looking into.