Bring4th

Full Version: a question for the board what do u consider
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
to be riches. how do u define that in your life. i think it would be interesting
and helpful to hear the feelings of us, we , this board about this subject.

norral
Great question.

Here are some answers that inspire me.

From Earl Nightingale: Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.
From Bashar: Abundance is the ability to do what you want to do, when you want to do it.
From Wallace Wattles: Rich means the free and unrestricted use of all the things which may be necessary to a person's fullest mental, spiritual, and physical unfoldment.
From Buckminster Fuller: I now go on to speculate that I think that what we all really mean by wealth is as follows: "Wealth is our organized capability to cope effectively with the environment in sustaining our healthy regeneration and decreasing both the physical and metaphysical restrictions of the forward days of our lives."

I put an essay about money into the "trinity of pain" thread.
Our new member Phosphorous mentioned having recently completed an in-depth study of money and I hope to learn about her perspective.

The word "rich" itself has many meanings for me. It could mean exceptionally, extremely full to the greatest extent of something considered valuable; and completely free of any shortfall or lack on the downside. It could also mean highly prized or only available for a very large amount of money. Continuing past balance or reasonableness, it can mean overpriced, pretentious, unappealingly overstuffed or manipulated to seem better than reality... "Ho ho that's rich!"

Curiously enough, in the computer industry "rich" has become a jargon buzzword that means "users will love this, and you have to buy our software to make it work for them." I've never once seen an actual definition of the word, it's just thrown in to make the marketing claims richer, I suppose. For example:
"creating rich media applications and business applications for the Web, desktop, and mobile devices"
"the ability to build extremely rich and innovative applications"
"a rich set ... provides you with an amazing range of technologies to enhance the functionality"
"a rich, engaging experience that improves user satisfaction and increases productivity. Using the broad reach of the Internet..."
"access the services and peripherals of the hardware, allowing you to build feature rich applications. And all of this is accomplished using industry standard HTML..."

Can you tell which is from Adobe, Apple, Google, Microsoft, or Palm?
Neither can I! Ain't that rich!

I would love for us to have a rich discussion of riches, in all the best senses of the word!
That is indeed a very good question. Great quotes also Q.

As I was growing up, 'being rich' was associated with financial stability/wealth. Having never being driven to earn excess money and live the extravagant material accumulation lifestyle, it's fallen from my 'preferred vocabulary'. Upon reflection, this has identified a very long-term, deep rooted pattern/distortion within myself that has remained, hidden, for years.

A definition:

Quote:1. Possessing great material wealth: "Now that he was rich he was not thought ignorant any more, but simply eccentric".
2. Having great worth or value: a rich harvest of grain.
3. Magnificent; sumptuous: a rich brocade.
4. Having an abundant supply: rich in ideas.
5. Abounding, especially in natural resources: rich land.
6. Meaningful and significant: "a rich sense of the transaction between writer and reader".

Today, I would use this adjective (or similar) in the sense of points 4 and 6 more than any other (as my definition of abundance is akin to Bashars), for example:

"A rich collection of colours"

Thank you norral, for a personally enlightening post.
When the ancient priest Ra -ta was exiled from Egypt and held in Nubia, a war torn land. Ra there developed a closer relationship to the creative forces and brought peace and prosperity to the people of that land. (Ancient worlds, Lora Little.)

I think richness and poorness may become a relative term in a golden age, and that even the rich among us may be harvestable if they behave in a good way.
thanks guys for the enlightening responses. this question came up when
i was working on a bus and talking to my friend. we asked ourselves what
does it really mean to be rich and what is rich. some of the conclusions
we came to were that richness could also be equated with peace.
if the situation in your life is such that u are at peace u are truly rich.
this includes not only physical wealth but also health our relationships
with others and our relationship with ourselves. we decided that one
other crucial aspect in being rich is having the genuine desire to serve
others. we all know people with plenty of money who have no peace
just look in the papers they are filled with them so it is not solely
based on wealth. i once worked with a fellow who was in a nazi
concentration camp and had lost his whole family in the war. he was
the nicest man he was always helping people it was a pleasure being
around him. he was rich .
thanks for your wonderful responses
norral