Bring4th

Full Version: Working with "old emotions"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As most probably know, i am a big fan of the "consciously emotional" approach.
I somehow felt the need to explain it a little bit more.

I sincerely apologize if you are aware of all of this, i write it for that person that might have difficulties.
Obviously this is only a simplified short version, i hope it's still understandable.

I'll start with stating this is my opinion based on my inner work experiences (so i don't have to put it before each statement).

The Framework

Catalyst will usually cause emotions to arise.
Many times, catalyst not only causes new emotions but also triggers old emotions.
For example, someone tried to kill you when you were 3 years old and stabbed you with a knife.
You were not capable of processing all emotions involved, so they get dissociated (meaning you seperate from them and forget about them) and "stored", and you will have to process these at a later point in time.
If you know face someone with a knife in your adult life, you will not only have the normal emotional reaction that everybody would have. Additionally (due to the similarity of catalyst) These old and still unprocessed emotions will be triggered.

An emotion is "now"
One difficulty in realizing this is, that an emotion is always now.
That means, if you re-experience fear of death for example, you experience it NOW.
There is no emotion "i feel like i was afraid of dying yesterday".
That is a thought and an abstraction, it is not now.
When "old" fear of death arises, it feels like dying NOW, you would completely believe it, you would interprete Body Signals that way and all outer signals in that situation.
This is why it is so hard to seperate old emotions from new ones.

It always feels like it's happening RIGHT NOW.

How can i tell it apart
Well, you cant, at least not for sure.
There are a few factor that can help though.

-the emotions are very very intense, much more than usual
This often indicates old emotions have been triggered

-the emotional response is out of relation to the current situation
The trigger seems to be minor, but the emotional response is quite intense

-the emotional response has "absolute" colors
for example, a rather minor disagrement in a relationship suddenly makes one think about ending an otherwise good relationship

How can i work with this?And what are the benefits?
I found the only useful approach so far, to just experience it, with als much awareness as possible.
Not thinking about it, just staying as present als possible with the emotion.

Actually, there are three ways to respond to an emotion.

-you can choose to ignore,deny or suppress it
This will seperate you from your Self, robbing you of the opportunity to get to know yourself, to discover your deeper inner being
-you can engage in thinking or "thought circles"
while the advantage here is, that thinking seperates you a Little from the emotions (so they arent als intense anymore), the problem would be, that instead of releasing the Energy, the emotional charge, you actually invest more energy (by negative thinking) into the issue, making it even worse each Time you do this.
-you can stay as present as possible with the emotion (and exclusively the emotion), dont engage in negative thought, the best would be no thought at all, like in a meditative state.
This releases the energetical charge of the emotion connected with the issue.
Each issue has only a finite emotional charge to it, if you consciously release it, it gets less and less, until there is no more old pain.

Another benefit is:
These mechanisms play out if we acknowledge them or nor. I we dont deal with These emotions, we arme actually a Slave to them.
They make us react in set and fixed ways, leaving us no Choice at all.
When we are aware of them, this is the only thing that puts us in a position where we actually have a choice.
We can then consciously feel the emotion, not bound to act out our automatic programs, but free to chose how we want to react!

The spiritual benefit of this
Another benefit is, you get to know yourself more and more, each time you do this, you get closer to your inner being, the light that you are.
We come into this life as loving light beings. Painful experiences made us close door by door, shading that light more and more.

Each of these doors is connected to a painful experience.
It is simply impossible to it without connecting with the pain, that caused us to close it.
On the other hand, each time we consciously experience it, were removing one obstacle, open one Little door.
And by doing this we get closer and closer to realizing our true self!

Another factor which is important to mention:

The emotional charge wie experience will get stronger and stronger. We practice "holding" that energy more and more.
And we in a way "change" our physical as well aus our finer energy bodies, so they can carry more and more energy.

And this is absolutely prerequisite for meeting the inner self.
without practice and preparation, the inner self just cannot ne experienced.
The energy would be much too high for our body and energetic system.
It is possible, to experience the "inner self" in a non-physical state, for example using substances and being in a state with Little or no physical connection; not very likely, but possible.

But not in a "normal" physical state, like everyday life. you just wouldnt be able to hold that Energy.
So one could eat a few mushrooms, have a nice experience, but lose it almost completely afterwards.
Not so nice :/"
very nice summary Agua.

If I could ask - how long have you been working with this particular system for, in it's current form?
I would say for around 15 years.
Before that i had a more intellectual approach to spirituality, but didnt really progress much :/

It started with Echart Tolle, at the same time i started a therapy which involved that approach.
The stuff related to the inner self started when i connected with my inner self for the First Time, maybe around ten years ago.
My first experiences with real deep pain were also around that same time (obviously).

That would indicate, im already "old" Wink
46 to be exact
I have to add, that it's not only derived from my own inner work.

I enjoyed a therapeutical Training for some years.
Seeing all of These patterns and mechanisms not only in myself but also in other people made me aware, that we are basically all the same.
Always the same principles at work, just the specific design and "weighting" varies.

And i had the privilege to learn from a terrific therapist in those years.
He is surely the most evolved being i ever met in person and a very experienced therapist.
He had insights in the design of the psyche and an understanding of the incarnational process that are simply incredible.
I will be forever grateful for this!
thanks for your answer Aqua.

(03-19-2017, 09:13 AM)Agua del Cielo Wrote: [ -> ]Before that i had a more intellectual approach to spirituality, but didnt really progress much :/

I would say that I had a similiar progression - even after discovering the Ra Material, and finding a solid framework for the mechanism of 'catalyst'.

It still didn't 'penetrate' to the core of the Issues ... where the highly protected traumas existed.

For so long, I had held a 'tightly constructed ego exterior', which enabled me to function, at least at a minimum level in societal settings.

Allowing myself to experience the Emotions that you spoke of in the OP, would be highly disruptive, and even make untenable that ego-self construction.  And so to really allow myself to 'feel' meant, on some level, a willingness to expose that Ego construction to dismantling forces.  That was the biggest step for me.  To relinquish that tight hold on the formulated Mask of who I thought I needed to be.

Emotions - true emotions - are like psychological tsunami's.  For those willing to experience them, the landscape of the self can be quite unrecegnisable afterwards - which is both a wonder, and a leap into the dark.

But Emotions are all so real, and need to be lived to move forward.

So I fully vibe with the essence of your Post Smile
(03-19-2017, 09:26 AM)Agua del Cielo Wrote: [ -> ]And i had the privilege to learn from a terrific therapist in those years.
He is surely the most evolved being i ever met in person and a very experienced therapist.
He had insights in the design of the psyche and an understanding of the incarnational process that are simply incredible.
I will be forever grateful for this!

yes, it's an honor to learn from others.

I'm reminded of this:

73.22 Wrote:The most common mental energy transfer is that of the teacher and the pupil. The amount of energy is dependent upon the quality of this offering upon the part of the teacher as regards the purity of the desire to serve and the quality of information offered and, upon the part of the student, the purity of the desire to learn and the quality of the mind vibratory complex which receives knowledge.

we can definitely lean upon the experience of others: when we are open to it, and the context is suitable Smile
Thank you Aqua!! This actually speaks to a distant memory and emotion coming to the surface for me now. When I was a small child, I believe that my cousin and I were playing around and we somehow knocked over a refrigerator. The sound of the fall was too intense for me to handle at the time. Years later, when I was around 9 or 10 I remember having a fever and the emotion came out when I was in a feverish state, I didn't really understand it then either.

Only now, have I come to understand where this pocket of pain came from. The emotion came up in meditation and I decided to sit with it and experience it again and again. The charge fell away.

Meditation certainly helped. I didn't even kno that I had that experience until recently. It was always a very fuzzy memory, half hidden. All I could remember was the feeling. Not even that the feeling was connected to an early childhood experience.
yes, thats usually the case with trauma.
Usually you forget completely about it, sometimes you remember a tiny part of it.

Many times the memory gets fragmentized.
One could say, in the attempt to survice, the self (not the "real self" , ratherthe personality shell as Q'uo calls it) divides the "incident" in many fragments, in the hope at least some of the "personality fragments" will survive.
So, when memory starts to come back, it is in tiny pieces.
A body sensation here, a part of an image there, a smell, and so on.
Each is charged with a portion of the pain. It usually takes years or even decades to "collect" all pieces, if it's Heavy Trauma.
The mechanisms involved are very fascinating!

It goes so far as projecting parts of the personality to other peoples system an attaching others.
Also, sometimes portions of the self are being projected to other realities to have them safe, simply incredible!

I found, that quite often you use being sick to integrate dissociated parts (that were "lost" during traumatic situations) into the Self,just als you described!
Thank you for sharing Smile
One thing I will add is that traumas in childhood which resulted in dissociation or fragmentation, may have the aspect of being difficult to understand by the adult. What I mean by that is, the adult one is now will not think the same way of an event as the child one was when it happened. So an adult may think he or she has "gotten past" a difficult childhood, and yet the inner child will still be fragmented and in need of love and understanding.

The fragmentation can be so hidden, which was the original idea—to create a safe place to store the trauma away from consciousness—that we may have no idea at all why we are triggered. Being triggered then, may be the only clue.  
Absolutely!
Most trauma will ne completely forgotten, als if it never happened.
Even if there's some memory, it will only be a very small portion of the original incident.

But i guess what Diana meant is, there are many things that don't seem to be soo severe from an adult view, but are life threatening for a child.

For example, many can understand that sexual abuse is extremely traumatic, but probably many don't realize that contactless-ness is much more severe.
By contactless-ness i mean there is no human available that offers a real heart-to-heart contact.
In my experience this is, apart from seperation from unity through incarnation, probably the hardest trauma one can face!
(03-20-2017, 12:09 PM)Agua del Cielo Wrote: [ -> ]For example, many can understand that sexual abuse is extremely traumatic, but probably many don't realize that contactless-ness is much more severe.
By contactless-ness i mean there is no human available that offers a real heart-to-heart contact.
In my experience this is, apart from seperation from unity through incarnation, probably the hardest trauma one can face!

This is exactly what I was referring to. As an adult we might not need hugs when we're scared but a child does.

I have a friend who unearthed a trauma during a Landmark session when she on stage. She had a really nice childhood, so I think she felt safe in exposing herself to the process in front of the audience. But she recalled a favorite stuffed animal by its name, which she was very attached to at the age of four, that her mother had taken from her and thrown out for some menial punishment. My friend broke down and sobbed on stage for that loss and lack of understanding, not having any idea it was so deeply painful.

If someone can harbor that, we can only imagine what any of us could have disassociated from during childhood.