Bring4th

Full Version: Is it hard Transcribing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just curious. I was reading some Q'uo stuff and yeah, made me wonder if there's ever any difficulty in transcribing recorded spoken word into written word.
Only as difficult as it is to listen and type I suppose.
Court reporters do it in real time using stenograph machines.
Hmm. I wouldn't mind doing it. I'd learn something and be helpful lol.
There is transcription software that slows down the speech for you to make it easier. Also, it helps to type fast. I've transcribed some stuff and it hasn't been hard, but I also type 80+ wpm.
As someone who has transcribed plenty of audio and edited plenty of transcripts, I will say that it isn't necessarily a skill many people have naturally. Transcripts can vary in quality and clarity. I think that the biggest factors are ability to type quickly, hear clearly, and a good handle on proper grammar and punctuation. Then the difficult thing from there is to do that all in real time. It takes some practice to get punctuation right, like where to put commas or start new sentences. 

Another big factor is the speaker you are transcribing, or the type of audio it is. For instance, transcribing a channeling session is pretty easy because the speech is typically slow and well-enunciated. On the other hand, if you transcribing a discussion between individuals who aren't sure how to form their thoughts fully, it can be very difficult and frustrating.

What sort of transcription are you thinking about?
I don't know, I've been reading the Quo transcripts and I just had a thought that transcribing them from audio to letter would be a nice way to volunteer doing something that won't depress me like a soup kitchen does.

I know I'd learn some new (and ages old) things while being helpful.

I've volunteered for the homeless before, it is...heartbreaking seeing so many people ignored by society.

I miss volunteering but not the ways it made me feel.  I don't feel like I'm here much for tangible things as much as I'm just here to be helpful in the ways I can handle.

I transcribe lyrics from music videos, no easy task I should note...Maybe I'd be decent at this?

It'd be a good way to practice grammar for writing too I think.

I just don't want to seem too eager, I know I can be offputting.  Plus I don't know how I'd offer to volunteer to do things with tapes half a country away from me lol.

So, I don't know, just curious I guess.  I'd like to just be helpful, not sure what kinds there are to do but I was looking at Quo ones.
Hey Joseph, shoot an email off to contact@llresearch.org and tell Gary you'd like to be put on the volunteering list. That way you'll get an email whenever they have things that need transcribed.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they have a dedicated Q'uo transcriber (since there are only ~16 or so a year), but Jim, Gary, and Austin will occasionally give talks or do other things where the audio is recorded and they would like it transcribed.
I'll consider it!  Was hoping for some Quo stuff but other stuff wouldn't be an issue I don't think.

So, what's it take to be a Quo channeler?

Hah, hah, haa, ah hah.  I wish heh.
I did verbatim transcription for Police when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth and that's how I worked my way through school.

What's interesting is figuring out how to spell things like unh huhn and the other unintelligible noises used in casual conversation.
You call that interesting, as a writer, I call it fun Smile Heart
(04-07-2017, 05:51 PM)Coordinate_Apotheosis Wrote: [ -> ]You call that interesting, as a writer, I call it fun Smile Heart

When there's no time crunch I'd agree.

I recall a particular tape involving a body wire on a confidential informant who had to go and use the bathroom. Could have lived the rest of my life very happily without having to listen to that.
I'm sure he felt the same way only about recording his excursion through the Toilet Dimension loool

Ironically, I remember as a child how people would pronounce 'a'.  Like 'a' way of saying.

Only they'd pronounce 'a' (aey) as a (uh).

Uh twig floated down the stream
Aey twig floated down the stream

My point, I used to struggle spelling 'uh' because I didn't realize it was 'aey'.

Aey sounding close to eh.

The simplest things often confuse me the most.  Weird how it all goes.  Though looking back, maybe that was an autistic mind seeing things in different ways or something.

Just thought it'd be funny to share in regards to transcribing something, I might pause in uncertainty depending on how they pronounce 'a' LOL.
A funny war story from a former civilian Police employee -

A shoplifter at an all-night convenience store was spotted by security through the surveillance mirror. When confronted by the officer the suspect proceeded to tear open one of the packages of hot dogs hidden in his coat pockets and throw pieces in an attempt to elude apprehension.

When asked about how to code the incident, the officer dictating the report stated in perfect deadpan, "Assault with a deadly weenie."
Attack of the deadly weinerr lol

...I wonder what it takes to be a transcriber for local authorities.
(04-08-2017, 09:31 AM)Coordinate_Apotheosis Wrote: [ -> ]Attack of the deadly weinerr lol

Reminds me of this.

[Image: 61637e378326e591c3eb7d5d0b40fad1.jpeg]
(04-08-2017, 09:31 AM)Coordinate_Apotheosis Wrote: [ -> ]Attack of the deadly weinerr lol

40 wpm on a standard typing test, no felony convictions, no outstanding warrants. 40 wpm is pretty slow for me. My best speed was 105 wpm. Free test here - http://www.typingtest.com/

Lots of clerical type positions in local government, but those deal with the public and I wasn't inclined or motivated to apply for those jobs. Typing for law enforcement requires a certain mentality since many cases are emotionally disturbing and it helps to think of them as fictional stories rather than reality.

A tip for typing tests - The mindset is a lot like the old, Western gunfights. The guy who stays calm and doesn't panic will always do better than the quicker hotshot with something to prove. It also helps to read 2-3 words ahead of what your fingers are doing.

I've never regretted working for cops. The pay was good, regular raises for satisfactory performance reviews, credit union, full health and dental benefits, retirement fund, no two days were ever the same - excellent job IMHO.