Bring4th

Full Version: Some methods for overcoming difficulties in meditation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Inspired by another thread, i would like to share some meditation tips for people who find it difficult to meditate.
I was a very rational and intellectual person when i was younger, and i was having a lot of difficulties with meditating.
(im speaking of silent meditation to achieve stillness here).
I just could not stop thinking, became bored, frustrated or became sleepy :/
Over the years i discovered some methods that helped me get started, and now i really enjoy meditating and inner stillness.
I would like to start with saying meditation is a practice. Just like practicing the piano.
You dont practice once and then it works. It is a regular steady practice that will undoubtedly bring fruits.
Some days you ll find it easier, other days it just does not seem to "work".
I invite you to really practice these methods to see if they are usefull! Thinking about them wont do the job Wink

Method 1

I came across this through Eckhart Tolle.

Sit comfortably on a chair.
Close your eyes.
Without moving or touching it, find out "can i sense if my right hand is still there?"
You will sense your right hand after a while.
Repeat with your left hand.
Without opening your eyes, try if you can sense your feet, on at a time.
Repeat this with various parts of your body.

Dont do it too long, just a few minutes.
You can repeat this exercice whenever you remeber it.

After this is easy for you, try to sense both hands at the same time. Both feet. Your legs.
With some practice you should be able to feel your whole body as a whole.
What you are actually perceiving is the energy field of your body.

Now, when you shift your awareness there, you dont have much awareness left for thinking.
It can help to exit thought and to enter presence, the Now.

I recommend doing this regularly until you have some awareness in your body energy field all the time.
this will anchor you in the present moment.

Method 2

A walking meditation

When i started to meditate, my problem was i either was bombarded by thought, or got dizzy and fell asleep very soon.

also in times of much emotional turmoil, i sometimes cannot sit still and meditate.

What i found helpful is a "walking meditation".

I choose a route, preferably in nature, which is easy to walk, not uphill or downhill, not much obstacles, so i can concentrate better.
I establish a steady pace. Then i synchronize my breath with my steps, eg 4 in 4 out.
Like described in method one, i focus on my body, trying to sense my complete body.

The advantages are for me:
I cannot fall asleep Smile
My restlessness has something to do and can release energy.
I can still enter stillness, in fact sometimes easier.
When there is emotional turmoil, like anger, its even easier to focus on the body, since the emotions are very "tangible"
Heavy emotions are additionally being acted out, thus losing energy

Sometimes i combine this with a mantra.

Method 3

If method 1and 2 dont work, try a mantra.
I am talking about a mantra in the original sense, as the sanskrit mantras (i heard there are also "real" mantras in hebrew, but i am not familiar with these).

An affirmation will NOT do the job, only a "real" mantra.

It might sound paradox or hard to believe, but a mantra does NOT utilize the intellectual portion of the mind.
(you have to try this to experience it).

But it will be a focus for your mind, which then can focus on the mantra instead of thinking.
This is a method that will work 100%.

Choose a mantra that appeals to you.
Then while sitting, walking or whatever just speak the mantra.
You dont have to speak it loud.
Speaking it in your mind will work.

Your mind will have a focus, even for the most intellectually controlled person reciting a mantra will be easy, and the mantra will still your mind gradually.
(apart from that mantras have many benefits but thats not the point here).

It might take some practice, but it will ,given some time, loosen the grip of the intellect.

Method 4

Silent days

You can try a silent period maybe once a week. Even if its only 4 or 5 hours, it will be beneficial.
Especially if you can do it with a partner or friend, it will be very helpful!
Set a period of time that you want to spend in silence, lets say 4 hours.
Do not speak during this time. Do not read. Do not listen to language, no movies, no music with lyrics.
Do not try to invent a "substitute language".

Communicate with gestures, facial expression, sing melodies, pantomime, just no words.
You will discover that for most stuff and communication you dont need words. The mind will still a little.
you will most likely discover that you actually feel, sense and perceive much more, especially with a friend or partner for example.

I found this also very helpful in discovering, how much i utilize my intellect normally in situations that are much better dealt without!

I hope someone can use any of these methods and benfit from it!
I want to thank Eckhart Tolle here, who helped me a lot to get really started on the spiritual path. Hes teaching were and are still a tremendous source of inspiration and help for me!

I btw recommend almost anything that is available from him.
He is a being that is highly present, very much in the "now" and just viewing him on youtube helped me to become more present!
If Diana Ross delivered soul to a mainstream audience, like Bob Marley delivered reggae, and Elvis delivered Rock n Roll, then Eckhart should be alongside them for delivering mystical practice.

There is another potential for having difficulty with meditation or being in the now which may be associated more with shadow material though. So I would also champion Ken Wilber as a supplement to Eckhart.  Smile
Those methods make a lot of sense

I believe the walking method could work well for the anxious minds

Method 2:
Walking (on my lunch breaks) on a sidewalk where there are not many cars passing by, and not near houses, has aided me greatly in getting into a meditative state. I think its easier to quiet the mind while walking because I do not have the subtle anxiety of thinking I need to go anywhere or do anything else, because my mission is already set to just walk to a destination or around the block, so I can let the mind peacefully wander or be still. I think the same applies to any monotonous task: Walking, driving, house chores.

Method 4:
There are also days I've gotten in arguments with my girlfriend/wife in which I decided talking was too much of a distortion, so I took a vow of silence for a couple hours. The clarity is so apparent. In vocal silence, much catalyst is identified and transmuted. It's a great experience. I discovered that anything which I wished I could have said while silent, wasn't really necessary to say.
1. TBH I don't do much of meditation #1. I do guided meditation with an app called Headspace though and it workds pretty well. I would definitely recommend it for others to try out!

2. The walking meditation REALLY helps! Thank you for sharing it, Agua!

3. Agua gave me a mantra: "Ong namo gurudev namo" without telling me what it means, because he wants me to experience it unbiased first. I'm guessing it has something to do with going into my body because if I notice any effect, that might be it. He also says it might bring up some things. Interesting. I asked when it is that I should look up it's meaning.

4. I've HAD this idea before! I might try it out at some point...
removed
Understood. Thanks. I shall give the mantra thing more thought. Just wanted to share what I thought may be helpful and also wasn't necessarily making recommendations, just pointing out what I'm doing.
But I shall give it more thought from here on out. Thanks again Agua. How long do you think it should take and do you think I should do it for before noticing the effects?
removed
Thank you Agua. I shall endeavor to do this mantra for at least 20 minutes a day.
Generally there are two types of meditation: focused attention and open monitoring. I like to combine both types with prayer.