Bring4th

Full Version: Any High Fat Vegans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking for any vegans who have or currently implement a high fat/moderate protein/very low carb diet without animal products. Basically a 70/20/10 fat/protein/carb caloric percentage intake. This means max net carbs (sugars) between 30-40 grams per day.

I'm looking to see if its possible to have blood ketones present in the blood w/out the use of animal products.

This means no grains, no starches, no legumes, no refined sugars, and very very little fruits in the form of berries.

Main fat sources are mono-saturated and saturated (olive oil/coconut oil/avocados). Nuts/seeds for fat/protein and green veggies for your carbs. Remember...your net carbs must be low!

Lol basically everything a typical vegan eats...cannot be eaten on a high fat vegan diet.
If you're doing this to body build, then just know it's not necessary. The following is a link to an article in a website, one of many which may deconstruct the idea that meat and meat byproducts are key to building muscle mass.

Quote:Beefing up WITHOUT meat! Vegan bodybuilders reveal how they got ripped by eating just vegetables (and why consuming animals is for wimps) 

• Animal protein has been favoured by body-builders looking to beef up

• However, many are now turning to a vegan diet to help build muscle

• Norwich-based Barny du Plessis almost retired but is still competing after following a plant-powered diet

• Max Seabrook, 25, from Kent, describes going vegan as 'best decision'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3206401/The-rise-plant-powered-body-builders.html#ixzz4drITnfnY 

[Image: bringthmruniversejpg.jpg]
I am a high everything vegan 100/100/100 haha

I have done a 3 day water fast before, and I believe my body had reached ketosis.
I say it is possible to have ketones on a vegan diet, but I don't think it would be particularly healthy to sustain the 70/20/10 balance.

It sounds like youre looking for a paleo-vegan hah
Unfortunately, I'm insulin resistant so my body/energy just degrades now if I am a glucose driven individual. Sugar kills me. That's what happens when you spend the summer at grandmas in your childhood drinking Pepsi all day long and playing Final Fantasy II. Hell my body broke when I was 11 years old and just degraded since up until 2014. All because of sugars.

But since doing high fat/really low carb I just feel so different and amazing and I'm losing fat.....not just water and muscle. No BS!! Depression went out the window and I'm strong both physically and mentally. Humans were meant to run on fat.....not glucose...the back up system. My A1C dropped from 5.3 to 4.9!!!

Let me warn all of you.....if your goal is to lose body fat, then ketosis is for you and it will preserve the most muscle. Don't try and burn fat while still a sugar burner like I did.

However the question is if someone could achieve ketosis w/out animal products. Personally, I just wouldn't risk doing high fat w/out animal products. But the risk is fat oxidation while cooking animal fats. Personally, I bake around 375F (still too high) and cook with saturated fats at med-low temps. But lets forget about animal products and focus on the fat.

Also, vegans eat their own body fat too like any other human so if you REALLY wanted to get technical.....no human could ever be 100% vegan. And a calorie is not just a calorie either. Carb calories and fat calories are metabolized differently depending on the person.
That's awesome that you found a method that has worked for you

(my ego wants to talk to you haha)

Do you wish you could eat fruits and carbs while maintaining your current lifestyle/physique? Because I do believe it to be possible

I would like to add into this conversation my own experience with (unintended) weight loss, I stopped all added salt, oil and sugar for 30 days (for toxicity purposes) and I happened to lose 10 lbs (from 174 to 164) while eating like 60% fruits, 30% rice/beans/potatoes and 5% nuts, while maintaining calisthenic strength.

Humans are very adaptable. I wouldn't say there is a certain best way of eating for all people, except what suits one's desired balance at the time.
(04-10-2017, 01:32 PM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, I'm insulin resistant so my body/energy just degrades now if I am a glucose driven individual.

is insulin resistance reversible?
(04-11-2017, 10:34 AM)Bring4th_Plenum Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-10-2017, 01:32 PM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately, I'm insulin resistant so my body/energy just degrades now if I am a glucose driven individual.

is insulin resistance reversible?

I know Type 2 diabetes is very reversible, but not too much w/insulin resistance even w/low carb. You could improve your insulin sensitivity but that doesn't mean that a person can go back to eating carbs like they did before. Think of it as quitting smoking....then trying to just smoke 1 cigarette a day. It doesn't work lol.
(04-10-2017, 02:49 PM)I am Shayne Wrote: [ -> ]That's awesome that you found a method that has worked for you

(my ego wants to talk to you haha)

Do you wish you could eat fruits and carbs while maintaining your current lifestyle/physique? Because I do believe it to be possible

I would like to add into this conversation my own experience with (unintended) weight loss, I stopped all added salt, oil and sugar for 30 days (for toxicity purposes) and I happened to lose 10 lbs (from 174 to 164) while eating like 60% fruits, 30% rice/beans/potatoes and 5% nuts, while maintaining calisthenic strength.

Humans are very adaptable. I wouldn't say there is a certain best way of eating for all people, except what suits one's desired balance at the time.

Thanks man. When I become more fat adapted, I can add some more fruits but for now....no. I run on ketones primarily..not glucose.

Sugars/starches/grains are literally poison to me.

I'll never go back to glucose Smile I just so feel soooooooo much better now that I eat lots and lots of healthy fats and hardly any sugars w/moderate protein.
(04-10-2017, 11:04 AM)Diana Wrote: [ -> ]If you're doing this to body build, then just know it's not necessary. The following is a link to an article in a website, one of many which may deconstruct the idea that meat and meat byproducts are key to building muscle mass.

No not to body build. I heard if you want to get big like that guy, you are going to have to implement net carbs for the insulin to do its job. I don't even know how many calories from carbs would do the job. Too many for me if my goal is not to get big.

A nice lean muscular body with some added muscle is what I'm after. Strong muscular looking abs are made in the kitchen.
(04-15-2017, 09:09 PM)GreatSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]A nice lean muscular body with some added muscle is what I'm after. Strong muscular looking abs are made in the kitchen.

Dense, not bloated, strong muscles can be achieved with kettle bells, and they work your whole body. Pavel Tatsouline popularized them here in the west from Russia. I have many and they are fun to use, much better than using machines or American free weights.