Bring4th

Full Version: The Official 2017 Homecoming Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey partiers, seekers, and seekers of parties!

Homecoming is not a party, exactly (though Sunday night can have something of a party atmosphere). It is rather about the sense of family, familiarity, and home that is automatically created when those of like heart join together in common purpose.

L/L Research is honored to hold the space for one such variety of Homecoming, the type where those gathered focus upon sharing themselves, their spiritual journeys, and study of the Confederation philosophy with fellow nerds.

We are happy to announce that, with the publication of the May, 2017 Gatherings Newsletter, registration for Homecoming 2017 is officially open! To find out more information or to register, please click here.

This thread serves as a means for people to talk about the upcoming event, update the forums while personally at the event, potentially arrange carpooling/room sharing, and, if desired, ponder life's deeper mysteries.

Jim, Austin, Trish, and I look forward to seeing as many of you as can be comfortably accommodated given practical limitations of space, logistics, distance one's voice carries, city ordinances, parking, amount of food, funds for the live music, and what your density of origin is. (Not accepting residents of next octave at this time.)
yay!  looking forward to what this year's experience brings Smile

Heart  Heart
One day I'll make it to one of these.

One day lol
If possible, I would like to attend the Homecomings festival. Have anyone researched on the boarding, car renting/car-pooling, parking, room sharing, etc... ( from out of state) yet?

I'm not 100% sure about our gathering location so I haven't made any fruitful researched just yet.

In my guess, L/L team would be pretty busy prior to and ongoing from that Friday. Is there anyone coming a day before and after to help out?

Also, what happens if one cannot make the trip after all the arrangement due to some unexpected event?
I'll be there, and my wife Tasha will be finally joining this year! Can't wait.
I can't contain my excitement. Jim's blog today says 24 people have already registered! I count 4 in this thread - where are the rest of ya?? Who else is gonna show up this year? Smile
(05-21-2017, 03:13 PM)Dandelionlight Wrote: [ -> ]If possible, I would like to attend the Homecomings festival. Have anyone researched on the boarding, car renting/car-pooling, parking, room sharing, etc... ( from out of state) yet?

I'm not 100% sure about our gathering location so I haven't made any fruitful researched just yet.

In my guess, L/L team would be pretty busy prior to and ongoing from that Friday. Is there anyone coming a day before and after to help out?

Also, what happens if one cannot make the trip after all the arrangement due to some unexpected event?

Hi Dandelionlight. I can answer a few of your questsions.

If you message contact@llresearch.org, you can ask for more specific information on hotels/parking/location etc. There is a hotel within a few minutes of Jim's place (where the event is held). This is just outside Louisville, KY.

Usually, the "extra day" of the event is the following Monday (Labor Day), where people come to help clean up. The set up phase usually is spread out over several days and a few of us "seasoned" L/L volunteers usually arrive early to help with that stuff. The tear down is where we need extra bodies to get things put away quickly. Smile

If you cannot make the trip at the last minute, you will be charged in full plus a 20% penalty fee for getting our hopes up.... just kidding. I'm not sure what the protocol is for sure, but I know last year there were a couple of last minute cancellations. L/L doesn't do this to make a profit so if you're worried about paying tuition and then not making it, I've never seen the words "non-refundable" anywhere re: Homecoming payments.
(05-21-2017, 03:13 PM)Dandelionlight Wrote: [ -> ]If possible, I would like to attend the Homecomings festival. Have anyone researched on the boarding, car renting/car-pooling, parking, room sharing, etc... ( from out of state) yet?

I hope you're able to attend, Dandelionlight. (Sidenote, one of Jim's cats is named Dan D. Lion - you'll probably meet him if you come.)

Regarding lodging, there are many hotels to choose from within 5 miles of Jim's home. Many attendees stay in one of the hotels in a cluster (around Microtel Louisville East), so opportunities for carpooling to and from the hotels is pretty easy. If you're in need of anything, let us know and we'll help to set it up. Parking is more limited this year then in previous years, so if anyone is open to carpooling from the hotels, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regarding showing up early, we usually have some volunteers scheduled to arrive early to help out with setup. The event starts at 5pm on Friday, September 1st, so feel free to show up an hour or two before to socialize with other attendees. Like Jade said, staying on Monday to help clean and hang out some is always welcome.

And regarding refunds, we can offer a full refund up to a week before the event, and a partial refund after that.

If you have any other questions, let us know!
Thank you Austin and Jade for your replies! I appreciate your input, which help me to prepare for the trip. My ears and eyes are ready to join!

Aww... Dan D Lion, can't wait to see u too!

Okay, got the hotel name marked down for the approximate location, thank you.

I'll take note of the Friday and Monday. I'm still waiting for the replies from the official L/L Research email, but for the mean while, I'm watching our forum for more info.
I'm happy to be attending for the first time! I'll be driving down from central Ohio.
I plan to attend of course.
Several questions for anyone who is interested:

Housing: Does anyone want to create a Group Travel at Microtel Inn& Suites by Wyndham Louisville? Or Airbnb, etc?

Transportation: Anyone flying/driving in from out of state that want to share the drives, rent a car, or want carpooling?

Thank you!
I will be attending for the first time and just paid for my spot. Anyone else driving in from the Washington County, Ohio area? I'm excited!
Hey future readers of this thread (which I suppose can be the only type of reader relative to to the time I am writing this . . . unless all things are simultaneously transpiring in the great Now),

L/L Research has experienced a first in its history: the Homecoming Gathering reached maximum capacity just over a week after opening registration. Only twice before have we had to close registration, but never this early.It's as if something has changed in the past year which is catalyzing seeking. Not sure what it could be, though. Has anything happened in the news since last September . . . ?

We are sorry that we cannot accommodate more. We must unfortunately work within the limitations of space and time.

If you would like to add your name to a wait list, please do contact us.

We hope to see you next year if you couldn't make it this year. And we most definitely look forward to seeing you who have registered!
10 weekends to go Smile
Let me cast some stones, lay out some cards, sacrifice some unwitting flies that flew into my room, and most of all check my finances.

I'm down. Let's enjoy ourselves. I plan on being very close to broke at the time though, so any assistance with housing is greatly appreciated...
If you're going to be at homecoming, consider changing your avatar to a photo of your face so we can more easily recognize you!
(06-23-2017, 11:09 AM)rva_jeremy Wrote: [ -> ]If you're going to be at homecoming, consider changing your avatar to a photo of your face so we can more easily recognize you!

Well, most of you know what I look like... RollEyes

Jeremy, are you flying or driving this year?
I believe my wife and I are gonna drive, Eddie.
(06-23-2017, 12:54 PM)rva_jeremy Wrote: [ -> ]I believe my wife and I are gonna drive, Eddie.

You are welcome to stop by our house on the way (we're about 3 miles from I-64).  You can pick up some habanero sauce.
I'll be there! Can't wait to see you all. Although I have been "cannot waiting to see you" since the last homecoming, but now it's finally approaching! The highlight of my year! Nadja will be coming this year too.

BigSmile/Heart
(07-06-2017, 06:47 PM)Ankh Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be there! Can't wait to see you all. Although I have been "cannot waiting to see you" since the last homecoming, but now it's finally approaching! The highlight of my year! Nadja will be coming this year too.

BigSmile/Heart

362 days is too long. Heart
(07-06-2017, 08:05 PM)Eddie Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-06-2017, 06:47 PM)Ankh Wrote: [ -> ]I'll be there! Can't wait to see you all. Although I have been "cannot waiting to see you" since the last homecoming, but now it's finally approaching! The highlight of my year! Nadja will be coming this year too.

BigSmile/Heart

362 days is too long. Heart

I agree!
I'm completely broken hearted that I won't be able to make it this year. My life has been in the dumps for several years now. I wasn't able to attend last year, either. I was looking forward to this year.... It's gonna be something really special for you guys. I will be there in spirit. :..( </3 I am really, genuinely sad about this.
If it's financial reasons (which I'm sure is just a simplification), next year, make a gofundme. I bet we can rally a few bucks to help you.

If I couldn't make it this year (knowing what I'll be missing now!) I'd be extremely heartbroken too. I'm very sorry. Sad
Hi Aaron,

I agree with Jade. If it is only for financial reasons, perhaps you could do a gofundme page or something similar from now on? I understand that you are heartbroken. I would be too! Actually I was planning to not to come this year at first, because I am turning 40 at that time when there is HC, and both my mom and especially my daughter asked me to stay home. At first I told them that I would, but after the last Homecoming I didn't know how to wait till the next year, much less two years! So I told them all that there is to tell them about how much this very special event means to me and *what* it means to me, and said that I understand that they are going to be disappointed at me, but that I have to do this. Because, and I didn't tell them that, I usually sucrifice a whole lot of myself for both of them in the name of love all other days and weeks of the year, but that week, once per year, is *mine*; to recharge my batteries, to meet like-minded, to experience magic which I have each time, and so much more. So I completely understand that you are heartbroken. I hope that it can work out for you next year, my brother!

Heart/Smile
sorry you can't make it Aaron.  I don't know you that well, but you were definitely part of the early fabric of Bring4th, and hence everything that has come after.  Would definitely loved to have had a convo with you in person, even if for a short time.

I think you would have really enjoyed the late night chats that we have.  I think we stayed up to 2am every night!

As is the common refrain: one can only plan for next year Sad

G
So happy for you all. It was not meant to happen this year for me, but I eventually look forward to meeting all of you.
(07-11-2017, 08:29 AM)Glow Wrote: [ -> ]So happy for you all. It was not meant to happen this year for me, but I eventually look forward to meeting all of you.

I'm sure I'll also find my way there one day, I would really have loved to meet Carla (her sense of humour was great! IS great in fact, whatever new adventure she has embarked upon). On an unrelated note (or is it?)... Kentucky just comes up in so many strange books I'm reading... right now I'm reading this bizarre book Etidorhpa, and they are speaking of these caves in Kentucky which is a passageway into the Earth...

It's just a little weird to me that you guys are in Kentucky, and that I read these strange books that keep mentioning Kentucky, like Dweller On Two Planets also.

I hope you guys have an amazing time!
I have an idea for Homecoming and those who can't make it. A time/section could be selected during the get-together to have a video conference, where anyone could join via Skype or Google Hangouts, thereby including members in a portion of the weekend. Just an idea. Smile
Pages: 1 2